Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 07:43 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Macca - I hear we are going to get about 6 x Cayman GT4 Race Cars coming here (Pete must be ordering one??) - but you probably already knew this..........
be very interesting to see how they go against the 6/7 cup cars. big money new though so not so good value vs a second hand cup car. anyone know what the relative times compared to cup car in USA? where they have had a few races now?
Old 05-10-2016, 07:53 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gt38088
be very interesting to see how they go against the 6/7 cup cars. big money new though so not so good value vs a second hand cup car. anyone know what the relative times compared to cup car in USA? where they have had a few races now?
I don't understand either? Makes sense as 1 make series, but a 7.2 Cup and certainly a 991 Cup is going to be a faster car, so they are not at the sharp end of the field.

I understand they will be a lot cheaper to run than a Cup Car - certainly a 991 Cup, which require a race team to work, so may make better financial sense?

Will be interesting to see how it pans out.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:11 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to hang out on FB more mate, we have softly abandoned this site as we can't control the lurkers and therefore speak freely without being at risk.
I take it that's a shout out to Macca's pen pal, Tania.Taite@nzta.govt.nz (aka Miss Chilling Effects).

The irony of course is that by driving the majority of like-minded free spirits/marginals onto closed forums, the soft social regulation previously exercised by the quiet majority falls by the wayside. Way to go Tania.

Though I'm picking Facebook packages the masses up much more conveniently for her ilk anyway - 'closed' or not.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:49 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks Paul for the updates. I haven't been keeping up with the play. Well done Pel, that car makes good sense for a track car as its well set up. Cayman GT4 race cars sound interesting. I'm guessing circa $300k landed with GST. Hopefully it will inject some interest into the race series especially as people trade up and their existing cars filter down the ranks. I'm not sure how much cheaper they will be to run as Leong and I have found tyre and brake consumption almost identical on the road cars and the engine hour rebuilds will be similar but u suspect the PDK may reduce the transmission costs over time....
Old 05-10-2016, 08:49 PM
grantd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dad owned that car and repainted it from brown to red, and removed the tartan inserts. Do you know where is it now?
Yes purchased from Noel Favas in Greenlane for $70K Sold 8 years later for $77K to a chicken delivery guy in East Tamaki.

I did the following upgrades during my ownership:

Waste gate
Upgraded front rotors and brakes
Oil cooler and fan
Upgraded Exhaust.

The 3.0 turbo had poor torque however used to pull 150Km/hr in 2nd gear.

Never did sort out the oil leak other than that the 930 ran very reliably. At the time of purchase I was a Lotus 7 owner, a friend popped around with his 2.7 SC which I took for a drive and on the back of that I brought the 930 less than a week later.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:52 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

This bodes well for you Buba and the new Tractive strut suspension with DSC. Looks like there will be some folks in the 12s to play with :-)
Old 05-10-2016, 09:05 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Just caught up on the FB thread. Double congrats on the price Pel. Goes to show you can buy a GT3 for just over 100k these days! Can't think of a better value Pcar track proposition. It will take a while to get used to after the SC but you will find the increased pace addictive..,
Old 05-10-2016, 09:07 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 626 Likes on 369 Posts

Walter, I have no doubt that 'the Man' has access to our posts here. Heck, I Google posts in this thread to find them. Good luck to them making any sense of them for the most part

Whether FB has nefarious objectives or not, I don't know. They certainly want to make money off our posts with advertising, but so does Rennlist if we are not paying members.

What FB do well is provide a reliable multi device platform for short posts, pics and videos. They are also good for messaging. Being able to control who sees my posts is a secondary benefit.

I enjoy reading your posts here and will continue to check in but there's no doubt that FB is a superior platform for my posting patterns.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:45 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. My issue with FB is that it's spread over too many different groups and is a byte sized chunks I can never keep track of or not find again. It doesn't suit my posting style which invites debate with posts that can be long :-).

I'm not sure how you all have the time to manage with it lol! I certainly don't need another online time eater - I have too many already!

Also in defence of Remnlist this is a community, if you invest time in it it rewards you (hence our month in USA will be spent largely with Rennlisters staying with some, flying with some, track days and fast drives with some both east coast and west). I have always spent time on other threads here and fostered slot of global friendships and contacts over the years that have opened doors and created life long relationships.

Whilst I agree it's a bit sad the traffic here has diminished to a trickle it had freed up a bit of time which isn't a bad thing....
Old 05-11-2016, 12:56 AM
993 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Macca - I hear we are going to get about 6 x Cayman GT4 Race Cars coming here (Pete must be ordering one??) - but you probably already knew this..........
Seems my questions have been answered already
Old 05-11-2016, 01:35 AM
PHG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grantd
Attachment 1049226

Previous
1977 930
1989 carrera 3.2
1992 964
1994 964 Turbo

Current 996TT manual
Nice looking car.. welcome to the fold..!
Old 05-11-2016, 03:38 AM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Mark, should be fun, wasn't even considering a GT3, I really like the SC, will be running it this weekend, didn't get into driving for the latest and greatest, the 996 appeals as its still missing some driving aids. No disrespect meant to anyone with new gear, hopefully I will get to drive a 991 & 996 back to back same day to appreciate the technology jump.

Re the GT4CS, of the new gear, that's my dream car, I read they were twice the price of a road going one however....

Not sure what to do re the garage, I prefer driving the SC over the 930, don't see cars as "investments" & not interested in collecting. No pressure to free anything up, will sit tight for a while.

Agree with your sentiment re rennlist, it brings new people in. It can mean the odd crazy, but that's the internet, there's so many FB threads but the one with the regulars definitely has it's place.

I know nothing about I.T. but I don't think Tania anyone else from that office actively watches this forum, probably more a series of keywords in your post which notified them. I may be naive....
Old 05-11-2016, 04:56 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Good point about Rennlist bringing people in. Closed user FB pages maybe not so.

The 996.2 GT3 is positively bristling with technology compared with the SC LOL!

I had the same Luddite thoughts as others for many many years before I picked up the 991 GT3. I thought the 996.1 GT3 I had in 2005 was "too sterile" compared to my 993 so sold it and kept the 993. then I made the 993 even more hardcore. Actually the GT3 was compromised on the back roads, a shocking tourer and I wasnt doing track days back then...so it all makes sense. Had I been using it pretty much exclusively on track like my current GT3 Id have felt different.

For the track, Im sold on fast technology - going quickly is the whole point to me at least - Im not their to drive miss daisy. I found the latest GT3 quite a learning curve. I think re calibration probably took much longer than I thought. 15 track days on and Im finally dialled in. Still plenty more to come. The 993 I dialed in much quicker and I wouldn't say there's a lot more I can get out of her as it sits.

My only regret is not being elidgaeable to have been able to pick up a 993 or 993RS (swap that with whatever model takes your fancy) showroom new back in the day and enjoy it as a new car.

Garry D will be interested in your 930 if its a 5 speed.

Tania and LTSA have a google alert set up for key words I suspect. I havent had any more "love letters" from her even though Im planning to flip license plates between cars next weekend and drive around illegally all day smoking a joint and listening to PFloyds Animals album while occasionally speeding and being a general menece to the wild life. I may stick the 222 in the rack and see if I can shoot something that resembles bacon from the side of the road. But all this will happen in another country so she needn't get concerned ;-)
Old 05-11-2016, 05:15 AM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha keyword central! very good, expect a letter! The 930s a 4spd.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:29 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yeah, maybe Tania will be busy tommorow at work spending tax payers money...

Last edited by Macca; 05-11-2016 at 05:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?