Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 05:30 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

John. Why dont our graphs start at the same position on the track?

My start line is dictated by a Map file of Taupo track which is automatically detected when the file is loaded (shows in bottom right hand panel - start line marked green with X).

Am I reading the graphs wrong? Bit of a novice sorry as only played with t for a few minutes earlier on....
Attached Images  
Old 09-16-2013, 05:39 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

No 1.20 on my AIM for Manfield. Here's the three best recorded. Peter @ 1.25.372 (Blue), Tony @ 1.26.933 (Purple) and Me @ 1.27.575 (Green). The sweepers remain my nemesis...
Attached Images  
Old 09-16-2013, 05:41 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That makes sense re the 221s. I remember what a revelation they were. I'm looking forward to my next set already.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:41 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Macca, no idea. I downloaded the track from AIM's database. Maybe the start/finish has moved?
Old 09-16-2013, 05:50 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. If I move my start cursor away from the preset coordinates I can vary my lap time for Taupo from 1.49.80 to 1.50.40 and thats just dragging its along the front straight.

Your Taupo trace starts on a decelerating part of the track. Same for Manfield. As I say I may be missing something here but how can that be right? If you move your start to the correct location it will make a difference (good or bad?).

I checked the file for the track positions and its current 2012 revision and I dont think they have moved the start line at manfield ever?

John, by the way congrats on the Manfield time. You are really closing the gap on the others.

My Manfield times were the result of "the penny dropping" and thats all I can put it down too. They were consistent too. Jamie gave me some advice, I applied it, Ray corrected a few mistakes and it simply all came together for me. Taupo was getting close but the gear shifts threw me so I never quite got into the same groove. Once I got into that groove I was out pacing Rasso. Its just kept getting better and better . Thats the only way i can explain the 5 second benefit over Peter. It felt real good finally understanding the car and how it works. I was lucky I didnt need 2nd under load too as it may have thrown me. I remember the third day of the targa was like that. It all came together and then I was quick. I think we all get there its just different for each of us.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:02 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RS ZWEI
Yeah, it used to live down here, till about 2 years ago.
It's now owned by James and Anne from Hamilton. They're the Waikato PCNZ coordinators so I know them well, and I stopped in to see them on the way back from the NITT. The car is mint, and James really looks after it. He was gracious enough to let me drive it briefly at the Parade last year (my first 911 drive -- might as well start at the top!).
Old 09-16-2013, 06:23 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Macca, it looks like I need to set the track start/finish line in the software as well as the AIM. Too hard for this time of night.

As for my driving. Yes, definitely improving. My favorite session of the trip was one with Dave in front at Manfield. The separation was about 250 meters, but otherwise it was like having a tow in that I could instantly see where I made and lost time. Over six or seven laps we pretty much kept the same gap. The track with Peter and Tony had the same sort of result in that I was fastest through the infield but lost it at the sweepers.

As Robert showed, there is no certainty that everyone will remain in the same relative positions. I'm going to spend my time until the next Playday removing weight.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:36 AM
Obsessed
Pro

The NITT was awesome -- massive thanks to all those who helped put it together, and a special mention for Pete who did an amazing job coordinating it all. Much appreciated.

I can't believe how lucky we were with the weather, two perfect dry tracks. I also can't believe how fresh I felt yesterday evening after 3 days in the car, I thought I'd be absolutely knackered but I just wasn't at all. I think the bucket seats are actually more comfortable than the car's original seats (which were 25 years old, after all).

I'm impressed that my car held up to the weekend without any major problems -- a credit to the way Steve and Daniel look after it. Unfortunately when I got back home yesterday I found a ~25cm crack in my windscreen, which must have happened on the trip back. This was the only negative in a great weekend though. I hope we can do something like this again, and I'm doubly jealous of not being able to do the SITT now!

Now I need to concentrate on the upcoming trade of squealing tyres and burning rubber for squealing baby and burning nappies...
Old 09-16-2013, 07:05 AM
Obsessed
Pro

I just looked at how much petrol I used for the weekend: 170L for 1260kms = ~17.5 mpg.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:09 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Obsessed
Now I need to concentrate on the upcoming trade of squealing tyres and burning rubber for squealing baby and burning nappies...
Whoa there! This is news (good news indeed!) But if I'd known we would have had more than a couple of extra 'toasts' to impending fatherhood. So when can we expect your attendance to start dropping off? Hopefully we'll see you over summer at least - and especially the 14 Dec "x-mas" date.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:14 AM
O2GO
Drifting

The NITT was awesome -- massive thanks to all those who helped put it together, and a special mention for Pete who did an amazing job coordinating it all. Much appreciated.

I can't believe how lucky we were with the weather, two perfect dry tracks. I also can't believe how fresh I felt yesterday evening after 3 days in the car, I thought I'd be absolutely knackered but I just wasn't at all. I think the bucket seats are actually more comfortable than the car's original seats (which were 25 years old, after all).

I'm impressed that my car held up to the weekend without any major problems -- a credit to the way Steve and Daniel look after it. Unfortunately when I got back home yesterday I found a ~25cm crack in my windscreen, which must have happened on the trip back. This was the only negative in a great weekend though. I hope we can do something like this again, and I'm doubly jealous of not being able to do the SITT now!

Hi Michael, thanks for joining me on the return trip... I enjoyed your company. Sorry to hear about the windscreen... I hope your insurance can cover it? All the best for your next chapter.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:15 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Fantastic trip guys, still buzzing! The road, the track, the weather and the camaraderie, a weekend that I will always remember. Thanks to all the organisers and photographers, all spot on.

Bring on the South Island tour!

The Targa is a thought, I've never done too much Targa type driving, but really enjoyed the fast touring part and if I'm going to do more of that, the Targa Tour sounds like the safest place to do it
Old 09-16-2013, 07:16 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Now you kept that very quiet indeed. Congratulations, another future RSG member in the making!
Old 09-16-2013, 07:21 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
Fantastic trip guys, still buzzing! The road, the track, the weather and the camaraderie, a weekend that I will always remember. Thanks to all the organisers and photographers, all spot on.

Bring on the South Island tour!

The Targa is a thought, I've never done too much Targa type driving, but really enjoyed the fast touring part and if I'm going to do more of that, the Targa Tour sounds like the safest place to do it
Having spent much of the touring component both directions directly on your tail Chris I can 100% guarantee you would love the NZTT! The 996 TT is the perfect weapon to use for it. You could even hold a conference call while driving. now there's a thought LOL!
Old 09-16-2013, 07:24 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by Macca
Having spent much of the touring component both directions directly on your tail Chris I can 100% guarantee you would love the NZTT! The 996 TT is the perfect weapon to use for it. You could even hold a conference call while driving. now there's a thought LOL!
Macca, I like your thinking. I could even turn it in to a work trip

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?