Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 05:02 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave, I'm confused about where your car paint job is up to. Hasn't it been at the paint shop in Hamilton for over a month now? I could swear I've seen pics of it painted orange and your recent post has it grey. I must be going mad.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:06 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
The purple Targa (Nick R's) would also be a good one. Will have been well looked after and not the hassles of the convertible top.
Have driven past his place a couple of times now, never managed to catch him at home to get a decent look inside and take it for a drive.

Needs a little bit of love, but I'm sure it's mechanically sound. Tempted, but in all honesty I'd rather a green than pink interior...
Old 11-28-2014, 05:12 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by O2GO
Macca, you need a nz licence for playdays etc. We've lived with this for years, it is not new. They mainly police the main highways and you have a radar detector. Touch wood, I haven't had a ticket for a few years now. Damn, that may just jinx it.
That's a good point. I wonder if there is away around this. I believe Playdays would make an exception for me but MSNZ will probably not, which makes my M License a problem and thus Targa Tour entry. I also suspect Playdays need to follow MSNZ rules.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:15 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by O2GO
Dave, I'm confused about where your car paint job is up to. Hasn't it been at the paint shop in Hamilton for over a month now? I could swear I've seen pics of it painted orange and your recent post has it grey. I must be going mad.
Douggie its ok its not a glitch in the matrix. Dave's thread is not real time :-)

Jake I agree. Green trumps purple!
Old 11-28-2014, 06:00 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Must be your age Doug. Looked pretty orange to me last time I saw it.
I heard from Steve and it is still in the paint shop getting all the loose panels painted. Due back in Pirongia early Dec. yes, my other thread is catching up to real time. Didn't want to blow my whole load at once. You know me, easily side tracked. Golf R's are getting all the research time at the mo. What orange thing?
Old 11-28-2014, 06:35 AM
shiraz
Racer

Hi All, anyone up for a little wager? I contend that the mickey mouse bullsh-t speed (in)tolerance thing will cause problems rather than solve them. Try travelling a road with a patrol car - everyone slows to 85-90 & bunches up, making sensible overtaking impossible. The safest overtake is the one with the LEAST time ( quick burst upto 130 ) spent in opposing traffic. The target should be laminar flow of traffic - no major frustration for any road user. Much more to be gained in accident reduction ( albeit less revenue $ ) from people taking liberties with the centre line.
Cheers ( oops, enjoy your xmas tea/coffee ) - David.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:39 AM
shiraz
Racer

Is the speed fine idea an effort by inland revenue to overcome lost tax take from the drop in fuel price?
Tongue, not altogether in cheek.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:47 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

David, up to 9km over is a $30 fine and a few demerits. Don't sweat the small stuff. We did over 5,000 km in March. Saw few cops and only one out of the group got a ticket. It's all scaremongering to get people talking.

Same BS every holiday period. In my youth I trusted the cops and thought the traffic police were the ****€rs. Then they merged the two and the cops have had a string of issues. I will actively discourage my boys trusting any interaction with them as they are not there to protect.
Old 11-28-2014, 03:00 PM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Will Porsche 996 GT3 prices overtake 997 values? We ask two industry experts in our latest sales debate. Check it out now:

http://www.total911.com/sales-debate...overtake-997s/
Old 11-28-2014, 03:39 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
David, up to 9km over is a $30 fine and a few demerits. Don't sweat the small stuff. We did over 5,000 km in March. Saw few cops and only one out of the group got a ticket. It's all scaremongering to get people talking.
When it comes to proposed lower limits on smaller country roads we need to get people talking because the media have buried it under the "110kph on (the few) newly built motorways" angle. I wouldn't want to be standing in court for doing 104 on a road that's been set at 100 kph for the last 30 odd years then downgraded to 70kph!

Same BS every holiday period. In my youth I trusted the cops and thought the traffic police were the ****€rs. Then they merged the two and the cops have had a string of issues. I will actively discourage my boys trusting any interaction with them as they are not there to protect.
Sorry to say I'm starting to agree with you. At a leadership course earlier this week someone explained why they felt the same way. At 7 years old a police dog from their neighbours place attacked him at his home, taking a chunk out of the back of his head and after months in hospital he had to learn to walk again. He got into sport to help regain his faculties and eventually took up boxing in his mid-teens. At New Years in Whangamata he left a pub with his brother and they saw 4 guys beating up on one. He and his brother went to his rescue but soon after were set upon by cops despite several bystanders yelling out that they were only trying to help. He does understand that the police kind of need to be in an 'act first, ask questions later' mode at big events but the cops were so rough with them that they tried to defend themselves and so were convicted on 4 or 5 charges. The judge was sympathetic and simply convicted and discharged them but it may still interfere with any future travel plans.

I've stopped a 2 on 1 fight during the RWC where the victim had a broken jaw and was still being king hit from behind, and once tried to stop a 3 or 4 on 1. Also checked on ladies' safety in domestics a few times, so unfortunately something like that could happen to me one day too. Best idea is to turn your own mobile's camera on so you at least record sound from before you get involved, and tell some witnesses on your way in that you're only going in to stop the fight before someone gets seriously injured. Also, don't take a leaf from any cops who go in blazing - if you can stop it without getting physical that's the best outcome all round. Presumption of innocence may come in court but until then you're pretty much presumed guilty so it pays to have evidence of your good intentions.

I don't envy the police their jobs and it takes a special person to hang in there but under NZ's adversarial system they are just trying to find the easiest person to fit the 'guilty shirt' on. Worse yet, they're publicly named already when charged rather than on conviction, so you're probably giving your boys very good life advice. Just my 2c...
Old 11-28-2014, 05:26 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Walter, the penny dropped going through immigration with the boys. The people would always smile at them and ask their name. I thought they were being polite. In fact it's a standard test to try and pick up child abductors. Police are the same, it's a job. They are not meant to be our friends, just enforce the law. When you realise there is no upside to interaction unless you need their services, then you have it nailed.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:45 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
Will Porsche 996 GT3 prices overtake 997 values? We ask two industry experts in our latest sales debate. Check it out now:

http://www.total911.com/sales-debate...overtake-997s/
Now that the UK Porsche mags are saying it - I guess we should all start buying up the 996.1 and 996.2 sub $100K GT3's then. There are still a few around?? Once a UK Pcar mag says are they collectable - they instantly go stellar in price:

They haven't taken off in price in Aussie yet??

Here's a few super tasty $100K Aussie cars:

http://www.carpoint.com.au/dealer/de...saleid=5517078

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/...-1087209&Cr=19
Old 11-28-2014, 08:14 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Now that the UK Porsche mags are saying it - I guess we should all start buying up the 996.1 and 996.2 sub $100K GT3's then. There are still a few around?? Once a UK Pcar mag says are they collectable - they instantly go stellar in price:

They haven't taken off in price in Aussie yet??

Here's a few super tasty $100K Aussie cars:

http://www.carpoint.com.au/dealer/de...saleid=5517078

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/...-1087209&Cr=19
More quality journalism from Total 911.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:27 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
More quality journalism from Total 911.
Total 911 is like a stock tip sheet Macca.

Maybe I should buy 10 GT3's instead of another rental property?

Would be an interesting investment proposition?

Not sure I would get it past my business partner (the wife....). I need to take advice from JMc.

This is an interesting article from Chris Harris

http://www.pistonheads.com/Porsche/d...?storyId=26071
Old 11-28-2014, 08:33 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Im on record saying for the last 500 pages the 996 GT3 is undervalued. Ive said the same for the 964 3.3T too.

Nothing new here.

The article reveals nothing definitive. The source quotes are lame IMO. Its another headline attention grabber to increase traffic to the site.

If you wanted to take a punt on the speculative Porsche market buy 996 GT3, 964 3.3T and early Cup cars. Youll need a big shed and a budget for insurance, maintenance, Rego and WOF. In 10 years the return would be reasonable I suspect partly due to the tax hedge (its capital gains).

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?