Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 07:06 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

This video is less manic. I didn't watch it all, but in the first few laps he's chasing Black Beauty
Old 09-26-2014, 07:10 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Go jack
Attached Images  
Old 09-26-2014, 07:15 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Sshh- too much of that and she'll tell me she's too good for me. Well found Paul. Nice shot - he must have had a brilliant phone camera and good tracking skills. Showed fantastic committment by hanging halfway out the passenger window of a BMW in the fast lane as I hooked off enthusiastically at Highbrook. Jake - as for the comments, maybe he was worried I'd taken him for a hitman or something. Macca - great write up of the NITT experience and I'm sure your reflections on the 991 vs 964 will assist others. I strangely enjoyed the rain in Taupo though it sure was intense at times - a bit like walking a tightrope. Nothing like having the rear try to step out at 200 odd kph as a reminder not to go all out through those mid main-straight puddles when it really bucketed down though. JohnM - just catching up on the thread so will drop the BB dosh in to the account over the weekend. Also happy to stick some in for the 2Kcuppers if you like - drop me a text maybe. Neil - that has got to be one of the best looking 944s I've ever seen pictured. Bet you can't wait to get her out there.
Walter, I've been updating a page on Rennsport with details. Tomorrow I will deliver the Grinch to HD so Jono can work his magic. Hopefully Andy Culpin will build a cage for it. We may have BB2 by next weekend as well. I'm on the verge of asking for contributions. I just want my phase of it over first. You'll see the Grinch next weekend.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:23 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

John good idea with the dollys. Why only 2 of them?
Old 09-26-2014, 07:31 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
John good idea with the dollys. Why only 2 of them?
I point the car into the corner, put the two dollys on the rear then swing it in to the wall. The front is the pivot point. Works very well. Tomorrow I'll put the 996TT in that position and see if I can run with Herman and the Turbo 3.6 as my daily drivers. The beauty her is all 3 cars are under cover and yet I can still work on one car with Jacks etc.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:50 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

^^^ Got it. Good plan.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:05 AM
Ndewar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scary garage you have John. Who is the dude behind the ladder guarding your beauties? If I saw him in the dark would s--- myself. The Dolly's are fantastic.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:12 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
macca, great post. thanks for the ride - loved the video
My pleasure mate.

One of the benefits of the GT3 on track was I can have all the windows up as I run the air con full time which means no wind noise in the on board camera.

The Sony mostly benefits over the GoPro for in car footage in having much better quality sound plus the stability function which works very well. Its also less fiddly, better battery life (I have it hard-wired) and waterproof without a case. The GoPro has it beat with image quality I must confess - the GoPro lens is much sharper and it benefits from different metering types like "spot" which leads to it handling big variances in ambient light better and more quickly which the Sony struggles with in comparison...The Sony is more convenient but the perfect product would be a blend of the two...
Old 09-26-2014, 08:31 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Helmet concept update

It has taken longer than expected with turn around times, a few changes, mock ups and everything going on with cars not to mention work. The concept/design is still not frozen and I am still refining colours and a few placement things. So just to refresh the idea was to mix some Chinese elements with car themes. The idea of Yin Yang - balance is al things appealed. So now the main layout is finalized but colour mix is not. The dragon side with Chinese name is close to final but the tiger side is still being tweaked. I am thinking the background tiger stripes will be more green tinge than orange so that the tiger can be orange/black and the dragon body will match the dragon on the other side.

The yin yang on the top will also be more stylized so not black and white but orange and green to match the dragon/tiger theme. So there it is - still in progress. I wanted to go quite stylized and more on the extreme side rather then a conventional painted helmet. I hope its not too extreme and "angry'" looking
Old 09-26-2014, 08:33 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

whoops pics
Attached Images   
Old 09-26-2014, 08:53 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I just love it Graeme. When the project is finished and you are happy with the final product we will have to get all the details from you on how to do this....
Old 09-26-2014, 08:55 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

PS - agree with your colour change on the stripes to bring the dragon and tiger out better as they currently get list and also the change in Y&Y motif as with black/white it does break it up a bit too much currently...
Old 09-26-2014, 03:49 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ndewar
Scary garage you have John. Who is the dude behind the ladder guarding your beauties? If I saw him in the dark would s--- myself. The Dolly's are fantastic.
An advertising board with Chris Amon. My Mother came to visit a while back and gave it to me. I think she bought it at a garage sale. First thought was WTF but it's grown on me. I often leave my garage open as I do things on the weekend. He hopefully will scare the crap out of any 'visitors'
Old 09-26-2014, 04:18 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Welcome back Macca. Thought you got lost in the Amazon. You are heading that way soon?
Lots of reading for sure. Everyone is doing something which is what it is all about.
Nice car Neil, the D90 wheel trend is getting big. They are just right on a '44.
So, garage update; been away a bit and itching to get back onto the seats.
The first integration of the headrest posts is going OK. I got some acetal rod, bored it out to 10mm and worked out the ball detent system to coincide with the notches in the honda head rests. That hole in the top left post is where the tube and spring will butt to and the ball will poke through the post hole and click into the notches. I am quite happy with the amount of friction of the posts in the bore, very tight, but the ball detent will ensure that they stay put if it loosens off over time. The posts are long at the top right now and will be trimmed down when the upholstery is worked out. I envision that the leather will have some metal rings put in it and the chrome posts will go through those without the need for any sort of plastic top finishing terminal. First layer of glass to tack it in place ready for a serious aluminium backing plate system on the inner back face of the seat to spread the loads away from the glassed joint in case of a rear ended prang. The posts will be wired to the plate at intervals with SS wire, then all glassed over and finished. The Honda head rests will be shaped a little more Porsche like - wider and more simply shaped.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:19 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

The picture....didn't load...
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?