Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 04:43 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Luke, I have the luxury of driving different 911s back to back on a daily basis ( e.g. 964 yesterday, 996TT today) so I can appreciate the differences between various models and set ups.

The air cooled cars are quite different to the water pumpers. The latter are without a doubt quicker but the build quality is not as good (at least the 996TT build quality is not as high as the 964 or Turbo 3.6).

Both my older cars benefitted greatly from new shocks, however I didn't go the coil over route, but others have. You need to get some rides in sorted cars to make an educated decision as to what works for YOU. There is a lot of hyperbole online. My boys go gaga over computer mouse reviews, it seems that there's a gene that governs responses to being sold the 'best' no matter what the topic. In the end most sellers just want your wallet.

Enjoy the mileage. There's no point in saving the car for the next owner.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:55 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Sorry, I was saying cool aid pricing in UK for 3.3 was 55-60K. He's definitely drinking the cool aid. UK auctions are very buoyant as usual. Its good, its become the stock market for them. They need something to pique their economy.
It's just been revealed that the car price has been adjusted downwards, probably to circa GBP 155,000. Apparently there was a mix up and the buyer was bidding against himself.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:59 PM
Luke944
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Luke. They are built to take the miles and the point is to enjoy them so your plan is sound. They dont much like sitting around. You don't need to go crazy to improve them. Probably a dozen simple upgrades carefully chosen that will enhance their performance on track and road and make them easier to live with. It doesn't need to break the budget either. Drop us an email when you have some seat time under your belt, a bit of a budget in mind and well help you decide where the best return for your dollar lies dependant on what you wish to achieve....enjoy!
Top man! Appreciate that. Will do.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:12 PM
Luke944
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Luke, I have the luxury of driving different 911s back to back on a daily basis ( e.g. 964 yesterday, 996TT today) so I can appreciate the differences between various models and set ups.

The air cooled cars are quite different to the water pumpers. The latter are without a doubt quicker but the build quality is not as good (at least the 996TT build quality is not as high as the 964 or Turbo 3.6).

Both my older cars benefitted greatly from new shocks, however I didn't go the coil over route, but others have. You need to get some rides in sorted cars to make an educated decision as to what works for YOU. There is a lot of hyperbole online. My boys go gaga over computer mouse reviews, it seems that there's a gene that governs responses to being sold the 'best' no matter what the topic. In the end most sellers just want your wallet.

Enjoy the mileage. There's no point in saving the car for the next owner.
True, true. Good advice too.
I'll certainly be driving it. That Jim Glickenhaus quote, “Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she’ll be more desirable to her next boyfriend,” comes to mind. Does crack me up.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:13 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Right. You are definitely our French translator! That will help for Spa. Thats an epic track. Jo's fluent German so we have Nurburgring/Effiel trip covered. We need someone to learn Italian. Jo has some reasonable Spanish but not close enough. Im afraid Im a fail for all languages including english.

Paul. Two weeks should be plenty to cover Ring + Spa and some epic Alpine passes. You may have to rent something at the track. Game on.

I think we may have to postpone NITT 2016 into October.
I can help with the Italian and Spanish.... (especially if they're cute).
Old 11-19-2014, 05:27 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It's just been revealed that the car price has been adjusted downwards, probably to circa GBP 155,000. Apparently there was a mix up and the buyer was bidding against himself.
Seems a bit more realistic. To be perfectly honest if I were given the option of a 964T and a 993RS at the same price (as seems the cas ein that auction)...well no prizes for which I would choose both as an investment and a drivers car.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:33 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Luke944
3 months into 993 ownership- it’s measuring up beyond expectations!

Every time I get into it feels special. I love the analogue feel of the car- the noise when it fires up, shifting slowly waiting for it warm up and having to work a bit harder in the twisty stuff. It’s nice how old school it feels yet the 993 shape means a lot of my friends haven’t realised it’s nearly 20 years old.

Mechanically I’ve been pleasantly surprised. She didn’t skip a beat on the road trip to Auckland and was pretty comfortable given the amount of driving over 2 days. It’s fired up no issues each time, the air con works albeit with a slight whistle from the fan and it doesn’t drip as much oil as I was expecting.

Cosmetically it’s still in good condition. Bit of fade in the dash, gravel rash on the haunches and a few cracked plastic trims I’ll replace. The novelty of cleaning it is still very much there- especially often being a black car. I’m enjoying the Larry Kosilla YouTube vids on Drive Clean to keep it looking good. It’s taken me a bit to get used to the chestnut interior but it is growing on me. I’ve decided it’s of the era, in or out of fashion now, but a bit different.

All that said I can certainly see the slippery slope into modifying the car…. I’ve got a wish list growing by the day! Especially getting inspiration from seeing some of the cars on the 993 threads. I can see why suspension is top of the list- it’s a bit soft and moves around a bit more than anticipated. Look’s wise the ride height really does need to be a bit lower with some 18’s- I’m obsessed with the RS Speedlines but wouldn’t mind some BBS’s (the reality is I’ll probably just do some Turbo Twists). And I’ll need to get an exhaust too. Soon!

She’ll be a keeper.
Makes we want another.
I'm softening and once or twice I've been known to toot out "tipo's are the work of the devil". And targa's too. But you know what? Now that I am close to having a hairy dog 911 in the garage it means that any potential second 911 doesn't have to be one. This then opens up the world of tipo's and Targa's and a tip/ targa 993 is looking good as a lovely DD. Not least because of the discount they carry over a manual coupe and the lack of depreciation versus dropping another load on a euro barge. Either that or a Golf 7 GTi. Stunningly capable car that.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:06 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Seems a bit more realistic. To be perfectly honest if I were given the option of a 964T and a 993RS at the same price (as seems the cas ein that auction)...well no prizes for which I would choose both as an investment and a drivers car.
I suspect you'd be one of the few in the world driving a 993 RS as intended, Rob Dong excepted (it appears his is driven some times). Simon sold his in 2002 because he couldn't see himself using it on the track, which is where it belongs. I had one ride in it before it went. Focused is one way to describe it. Not a car I'd take around the South Island, whereas I expect the Turbo 3.6 will lap up that trip with ease and comfort.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:13 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
Makes we want another.
I'm softening and once or twice I've been known to toot out "tipo's are the work of the devil". And targa's too. But you know what? Now that I am close to having a hairy dog 911 in the garage it means that any potential second 911 doesn't have to be one. This then opens up the world of tipo's and Targa's and a tip/ targa 993 is looking good as a lovely DD. Not least because of the discount they carry over a manual coupe and the lack of depreciation versus dropping another load on a euro barge. Either that or a Golf 7 GTi. Stunningly capable car that.
Its a great point Dave. The NZ market is particularly unkind to Tipos. In the UK they fair somewhat better.

Its true once you have a lairy ride to get your "purist" thing satiated you no longer feel the need to something quite as uncompromising to sit along side it. Point in case is my GT3, touted as softer than previous generations of GT3 this actually suits me very well. Afterall compared to my 993 every generation of the GT3 has become softer by comparison (watercooled, ESC, TC, PASM, heavier etc). The question becomes one of value for money for DD use. A tipo 997 is probably similar in price from a good 993 Tipo/Targa and although it doesnt have the classic appeal the running costs would be lower and it would likely fulfil the mandate of daily driver in a more accomplished fashion. That said there is nothing quite like using an aircooled car as your daily run about. These last 9 years Ive been using mine for virtually everything and its been alot of fun. Its a very individual choice however...
Old 11-19-2014, 06:16 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
Makes we want another. I'm softening and once or twice I've been known to toot out "tipo's are the work of the devil". And targa's too. But you know what? Now that I am close to having a hairy dog 911 in the garage it means that any potential second 911 doesn't have to be one. This then opens up the world of tipo's and Targa's and a tip/ targa 993 is looking good as a lovely DD. Not least because of the discount they carry over a manual coupe and the lack of depreciation versus dropping another load on a euro barge. Either that or a Golf 7 GTi. Stunningly capable car that.
Creatively beachcombed from the NZ Herald.

Air cooled Porscheholics say ownership initially gave them an inner peace never experienced before but their "best friend" eventually turned on them with big maintenance bills. The pleasurable feelings disappeared, the problems increased yet they still chased the glory days until it was sold

Once they drive one again, an overwhelming desire to keep driving one takes over. Normal drivers find this seemingly bizarre, self-destructive condition hard to understand.

The 12 steps of Porsche ownership. Resistance is futile....
Old 11-19-2014, 06:19 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I suspect you'd be one of the few in the world driving a 993 RS as intended, Rob Dong excepted (it appears his is driven some times). Simon sold his in 2002 because he couldn't see himself using it on the track, which is where it belongs. I had one ride in it before it went. Focused is one way to describe it. Not a car I'd take around the South Island, whereas I expect the Turbo 3.6 will lap up that trip with ease and comfort.
Robert still gets his out for the occasional session at Manfield but admittedly less and less these days. I agree its focussed but no more so than my 993 which has gone equal or beyond the RS remit in most areas (suspension, brakes, engine, exhaust, geo, wheels & Tyres). Im glad I kept the carpet in the car though! I confess the 993 was borderline touring for the 6000 SI kms with the longest days probably wearing on a bit for Jo and I. I think that is partly our age too!
Old 11-19-2014, 06:52 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Rob got a new windscreen out of SITT, Must be those 993 are stone magnet after your experience as well.

Stop talking about your age, Macca !!. bad sign cos some of us are older than you and hoping to keep doing this for a while yet.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:54 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

forgot to say I dropped the X5 in for service this morning and had a sit in a new M235i. Might go take it for a drive. Not much seat room in the back
Old 11-19-2014, 07:02 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yeah. Good point Graeme! I was fine up until the last 2 days driving heading back to AKLD. I think by then the bucket seats were feeling like a rock, the rattles and creaks created by the cage and stiff suspension were getting annoying and my wife was downing pain killers for her back like they were going out of fashion. My mistake was leaving the ARBs and shocks in track mode (we left early the next morning after Ruapuna). To be fair we were pushing the platform to the limit. Im pretty sure no one else did the full 14 day journey tow up with luggage and wife in a 20 year old car which is no luxury tourer! The original plan was for the GT3 which would have been sweet but the timing to get it complied missed the window by a few days.

Ive never lost a window in the 993 but have had plenty of stone chips. Ive been very lucky as Ive known a few to loose the screen. The 964/993 have very upright screens which do seem to attract stones. That said Richard cracked his 991S screen in NZ Targa 2012 and again with the 991 GT3 on SI Targa so its definitely a theme. Its always my biggest concern when fast touring...
Old 11-19-2014, 07:07 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt38088
forgot to say I dropped the X5 in for service this morning and had a sit in a new M235i. Might go take it for a drive. Not much seat room in the back
Good idea. Let me know your thoughts. Word is the M2 will be a significantly better machine but would be good to know how the base car reports. I was a bit disappointed with the new M3. I hope the M2 doesnt have as many buttons, or the auto stop start thing and that they dont play with the engine sound piped to the interior. The M3 had almost too much torque for the chassis with the ESC set too conservatively and the light flashed frequently....be interested to hear your view on the M235

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?