Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 12:01 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
The Tartan Cowboy is resourceful. He will find a way to play....
I tried pimping myself out as a co-driver but have no takers..........
Old 11-07-2014, 12:07 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
No, the original colour is Horizon Blue Metallic, which isn't my favourite. That car is cobalt blue, the same colour as the car owned by the local surgeon.

Not sure what to do longer term. Ideally, it would get a glass out respray to make every panel the same, but I prefer Polar Silver.

However, the more these cars go toward collector cars the more originality is important so respraying polar silver is likely money down the drain.

There's also a thought that a respray is the last straw in drivability I.e. Concours or museum piece.
Just re-paint it polar silver and live happily ever after...................

Who gives a toss about the next guy - it's all about you at the moment.

If you are going to get hung up on original colour, you may as well stop driving it too for fear of more km's diminishing its value.
Old 11-07-2014, 12:14 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Just re-paint it polar silver and live happily ever after................... Who gives a toss about the next guy - it's all about you at the moment. If you are going to get hung up on original colour, you may as well stop driving it too for fear of more km's diminishing its value.
I'll wait to see what your experience is like first I'm ok with mine as is, just I can see the difference in some lights. I'd actually like to drive it first. Roll on Christmas.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:34 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
I tried pimping myself out as a co-driver but have no takers..........
I assume Chris will pair with Pete so we just need one more to join the crew and your set. This should make it an easy option for someone (like Walt or John) wishing to do their first Targa Tour as its a benefit having an experienced Navigator and someone who has actually driven the event in the jump seat. Its a three day event and in an already well prepared and proven car should not be a huge expense if the costs are shared. $2750 each would cover all direct costs. Prestigio will provide cover for their good clients (with some restrictions):

$800 gas (4 tanks for the comp days - and a tank to get home) - Turbos will be more
$2500 entry
$1200 accommodation (separate rooms 4 nights)
$350 Trackit hire + chrono style app + donations for charity.
$650 Food (take your own cereal + UHT + Plastic bowl and spoon as its early start, lunches are typically $10, dinners are not elaborate).

$5500 shared costs.

As most here are self employed or business owners they could put a sponsorship decal on the car and write off some to sponsorship.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:21 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

...oops
Old 11-07-2014, 03:23 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

...oops
^^^ ?? - don't understand ??
Old 11-07-2014, 03:24 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I posted something on the wrong thread...oops
Old 11-07-2014, 05:52 AM
PHG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Not sure what the objective was for that article. Fill a few pages of a magazine at the behest of an owner that would only give a short test drive? Some paragraphs capture parts of the essence, it is an opulent interior with all of the leather, it does have presence and the engine/drivetrain feel unstressed. What they missed is that these cars drive on a wave of torque that feels like it's ready to catapult up you past traffic in the blink of an eye. Maybe I should take up Doug's offer of a professional photo shoot and do my own article? Need to do my calipers first, and get the Grinch out of the garage!
don't know what it is John, but there's something not right in your garage photo..
Old 11-07-2014, 05:54 AM
PHG
Racer

Mate. 100% agree with you. Dropped Total 911 about the same time as you when Raby sold out. They then has a lady editor that quite frankly knew nothing about Cars and she lasted 6 months (it horrified me each time I ready the Editors review and Im not sexist but I cant take a magazine seriously when the Editorial is written by a girl). Then there was the current guy who seems like a nice bloke but hes very young and Im not sure of hes worked on a car magazine before. Im sorry but when you have been passionate about the marque for years more and more these magazines hold less appeal.

911 Porsche World I recently subscribed to for a further 2 years. After that I wont renew or if I do it will be digital only. Im getting less and less out of it each year. They dont want to cover the new stuff much (naturally as enthusiasts largely cant afford new cars) but it does end up a bit repetitive and Id like to see far more Hot Rods in there.

EVO I will keep because I still love it and in paper version too. When 911 & P World expires I think I will take your advice and add Octane to the Mix (same publisher as EVO).
"I'm not sexist but a girl editor.."
Hmmn!
Macca, spank yourself!
Old 11-07-2014, 08:47 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PHG
"I'm not sexist but a girl editor.."
Hmmn!
Macca, spank yourself!
Yes sir!...with pleasure....
Old 11-07-2014, 02:39 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by PHG
don't know what it is John, but there's something not right in your garage photo..
Chris Amon's placing ?
Old 11-07-2014, 04:36 PM
PHG
Racer

Correct
Chris was allied to Toyota..he should be facing the wall, not staring at the 'H'
Old 11-07-2014, 05:47 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

only now recovering from targa. it was a mission getting back from queenstown pretty tired after rally and didn't feel like driving the 5 hours back to Christchurch and couldn't make the last ferry so overnighted there and picked up trailer so could sleep in the van after that. Home on Monday early evening. Then a couple days away on business.

Car is eating a bit of oil and water after taking a beating so got to get to the bottom of that. Compression and leak down test to start with....I need to get some weight out of the car, I can lose 50-60kg at least and still make the weight limit. Trouble is serious weight loss costs quite a lot with custom parts fabricated and carbon.

Macca a few more news items on Cayman gt4/R emerging.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:04 PM
O2GO
Drifting

I wonder if you could get a combined 20kg with the 2/5 diet? <joking>

I must admit, even the navigating the tour took it out of me. Only really feeling human again by about Thursday.

Both Dean and I, and probably many others, had to bail on flying out of Queenstown due to incoming flights cancelled due to turbulence. I hitched a lift with Richard to Dunedin and Dean hitched a lift to Chch to fly out. The flight to Auckland was one of the roughest I've been on. After getting to Queenstown airport just after 8am, I only arrived home at 9:30pm.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:32 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

as they say Doug the cheapest weight loss is the driver and co driver!! probably the hardest though.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?