Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 06:23 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gt38088
woohoo!! bet track insurance is a big cost given the number of accidents there.
No insurance, 75,000 Euro deducible for the GT3 and pre signed open declaration of damage cover to the circuit should an incident happen. This was the Manthay & friends DE day held two weeks ago (Sabine was there taking a few people for a drive). Basically most run self insured in these groups...
Old 09-30-2014, 06:29 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

think that would slow me down a bit ....
So what the deal on the bmw days we are thinking of for 2016? cost and insurance etc? better start fattening the piggy in advance
Old 09-30-2014, 06:33 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

yea we were just chatting about Bamber last week over coffee here at work speculating that he would get a call up for an RSR drive. Great news for him. if he wins Supercup this year or if he matches Patrick Long's pace in the RSR he is going to be set
Old 09-30-2014, 06:35 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Graeme included in the deal. Cheap for BMW to "self insure". Im certain like most tracks the driver may be liable for armco replacement of he bends something well outta shape...there is no doubt in Europe, UK & USA going to the track regularly during the season (these guys would all do 2 day weeks at the track probably every other weekend in Summer so say intense 20 track days a year) is not a cheap hobby. I doubt most of us RSG guys could afford to do much track work elsewhere in the world and eventually I suppose it will become like that in NZ as Insurance and Liability costs get higher etc.

There are four particular 991 GT3 owners in UK and Europe & USA I speak regularly with who have been heavily tacking their cars over the last 3 months. One has done 18 track days (mostly Spa, Imola, Monza and Magns Cours - all very hard tracks on the equipment). These guys dont muck around. Highest mileage of that group is UK guy with 19,000 km and 12 track days.

It seems elsewhere that traclk sessions are typically 20-25 mins and around 6 sessions per day with no more than 15 cars on track at any time. So similar to RSG but longer session times.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:47 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PHG
Again....

Mate - This is the first time I have moved house in 13 years??
Old 09-30-2014, 06:53 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone been watching the Formula E racing series.......?? (Chris B?)

Good driver line up but just not sure it's the same with no noise??

Also not sure i like the look of the cars?
Old 09-30-2014, 06:58 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
The Enzo on track....

Ferrari Enzo - YouTube
And as seen that same day drifting rather jerkily from a passing Porsche:

http://web.archive.org/web/200703041...aversoEnzo.wmv

Kudos for driving it hard on track - most owners probably wouldn't.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:56 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 626 Likes on 369 Posts

The 18th of October is a big day for the RSG 2k cup crew. It will be our first set of races.

Because the race schedule conflicted with a Playday they have done the following:

9:00 am to 3:00 is Playday
3:00 pm to close is three 20 minute 2k cup races.

The formative plan is to practice at Playday and race in the afternoon.

It seems like a great chance to get a wider group out to run BB in the Playday, maybe dicing with the VTI-R race cars, then maybe entering BB in the races as well.

Thoughts / expressions of interest?
Old 09-30-2014, 08:12 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

So Macca what will total cost of track instruction days at Nring be for the package you are looking at?
That was my reference to fattening the piggy (bank)
Old 09-30-2014, 09:12 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi Graeme.

I confess I havent really gone far on this. Ive spoken to Pete H offline and it seems there might be a broader plan brewing away to get a few of us to Provence for 3 weeks in Sept 2016. its a very loose plan as it stands. Jo and I would like to spend 3 months in Europe but would only do so if it coincided with picking up a vehicle used from the UK or new from the factory. I think Pete, John and others may choose also to use the opportunity to acquire something at reasonable value for export. It would of course depend of FX and the Kiwis future strength which in my opinion is likely to be better against the Euro than the GBP (but its a total dice roll unless you start to do some hedging like I did a few weeks ago to build up some Euro reserves - Im almost entirely in USD these last 18 months so finally enjoying the recent bump!).

A loose plan would be to order a Cayman "GT4"/BMW M2 from the factory (assume production starts on RHD cars October 2015) in PTS (not sure which colour best suits Cayman) for delivery in March/April 2016. PTS windows are short and from memory Nov and Feb are usual slots at the factory so this would work in with those timings. I would have the car registered April for depreciation benefits and have it stored for 3 months then arrive some time in August for running it in around Switzerland/Germany before joining a larger group in Provence (Pete has a possible large accommodation option/Vila) there. I know some great drives NE of Aux de Provence in the general region (D2, Alpes de Maritimes etc) and we can make a few day drives to the passes out on the boarder of Switzerland. September is good as German holiday have finished and things will be quieter. we would look to visit Spa and possibly Magna Cours and I would imagine those that haven't been will want to visit the 'Ring. Most will fly in and out using Provence as a base for a 3 week holiday. Jo and I and anyone interested would probably stay on another month or so and rent a Vila on lake Como/Majore - its just the perfect base to explore Switzerland, the coast of Italy and the French Alpes and Riviera. Great driving roads guaranteed with Imola just down the road. I have a few Italian and Swiss motor nut contacts that could help us make this memorable.

The above rough plan depends on so many factors so I dont think anything can be planned right this moment than naturally those who may be interested letting us know if the plan would be workable for them and generally aiming for those dates as a informally proposed RSG Europe 2016 trip. I hope Pete doesnt mind me jumping the gun here.

In terms of cars and track car rental this will depend on the numbers naturally. Some may choose this opportunity to purchase abroad, drive and ship back. I think we will know more over the next 12 months. We will need to start looking 12 months out for an organised track day package that includes cars. I assume the group will comprise of around 6-8 men so if sharing a car could make for 3-4 track vehicles in a group. Make no mistake, its is no cheap to hire a dedicated track car for use at Spa, Ring etc and probably would run around 2000 Euro for the day for an older M3 etc. Taking your own car would open you up to evening open sessions which were around $40 NZD a lap at the Ring when I was last there but likely more now - pretty cheap non the list for a bucket list.

Quite honestly if you take 3 weeks car rental and two track car rental days plus tutor into consideration vs buying a new/used car at Euro price discount and perhaps sharing tutor the money you save would go a long way to making your purchase even more viable. I personally feel ha if someone has a dream car in mind from new to 3-4 years old this may be the opportunity to plan around it, shop it in the UK before you head off, fly into Heathrow and drive to France in it! Anyone interested in a V8 Vantage N400 spec for $85k nzd landed around then :-).

I think we probably need a separate thread for this on the RSG board soon to at least understand who is interested in 3 weeks away in early European Autumn 2016. I still havent mentioned it to Jo yet and I know we will all need to get sign off LOL!
Old 09-30-2014, 09:18 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Paul. This looks of interest. I think the expected range is too rich. The general consensus on 911uk.com is 40-50K GPB. Apparently the prices of these have bumped last few months. The resto looks pretty light to me (no real upgrades anyhow) so Id think more like 40K but is a good sign for your plans to bring your 993 back to spruce.

http://www.coys.co.uk/auction.php?it...9&auctionID=48
Old 09-30-2014, 11:59 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

....sign off LOL too...
Old 10-01-2014, 01:28 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New clothes !!!
Attached Images  
Old 10-01-2014, 01:35 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Looks great Pete! Almost too shiny to race. Between yourself and Neil will have the cleanest looking examples when the season starts October. Would be good to keep it that way too ;-)
Old 10-01-2014, 01:41 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Initial thoughts on wrap quality and process for those interested.

Looks great from about 2-3 metres - its definitely not an alternative to a Graeme W Fraser special! Any closer and you see the joins and imperfections. Light colour shows up slight dings and scrapes I didn't even know she had. Has a nice gloss to it.

In the event of stacking the car I guess it would be a bit more problematic to match compared to paint. Answer - don't stack it!

Looking forward to a dry day Sunday.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?