Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garmin Automated Coaching

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 06:24 PM
Trackprincess
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you get the earlier price with amazon. It was $892 Cdn. Now it’s up to $1289 cdn. Got mine this week.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:27 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Trackprincess
Did you get the earlier price with amazon. It was $892 Cdn. Now it’s up to $1289 cdn. Got mine this week.
Price seems to have been all over the place. I paid $869.68. Not delivered yet though.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:07 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,229 Likes on 1,856 Posts

According to my dealer materials since day one of the Catalyst release, USD $999.99, CAD $1399.99
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-16-2020, 09:22 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
According to my dealer materials since day one of the Catalyst release, USD $999.99, CAD $1399.99
Yeah... I'm pretty sure Amazon f'd it up.
Old 10-17-2020, 07:28 PM
DoxCroc
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My accelerometer quit working sometime yesterday afternoon. Now I don’t get any braking data.

i’m here at Road America for three days. My second track to try it out on and probably my last one of the season. Yesterday the braking data was working fine until the 1:30 session but then on the 4 o’clock session it is flat line. That has remained that way today. I’ve tried rebooting by turning it off and back on. I have unplugged and re-plugged the wire to the camera and the wires to the head unit mount but no success.

Garmin support is closed until Monday. By then I’ll be home and probably done with track events until next spring. Has anybody else had this problem? Does anybody have a quick fix that I can use by tomorrow?

Mike
Old 10-17-2020, 08:43 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Send me an email, I'll try and help you out. We can talk on the phone tomorrow, but it does sound like a hardware failure. Is the video working when the line is flat? Have you done a system "reset?" Th accelerometers are in the camera, as you already know.

I have not seen this in the hundred or so units I've provided or on the Catalyst Users Group on FB, but I suppose it it possible. Ping me if I can help.
Old 10-17-2020, 10:38 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,612 Likes on 2,348 Posts

I'd like to make a suggestion for the presentation of the "opportunity" data, I would like to see the section of the segment where the "optimal" line diverges from the "best" line to be highlighted
in a 3rd color from the purple/white ...

If you look at the "time' graph, I have noticed that a number of my opportunities have a significant divergence between my best and the recommended optimal, and its really the section of the
segment where that divergence occurs that is where the improvement lies, highlighting that section of the optimal line would make it easier to understand where the time is to be gained in the
segment ...

Garmin?
Old 10-17-2020, 10:48 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I'd like to make a suggestion for the presentation of the "opportunity" data, I would like to see the section of the segment where the "optimal" line diverges from the "best" line to be highlighted
in a 3rd color from the purple/white ...

If you look at the "time' graph, I have noticed that a number of my opportunities have a significant divergence between my best and the recommended optimal, and its really the section of the
segment where that divergence occurs that is where the improvement lies, highlighting that section of the optimal line would make it easier to understand where the time is to be gained in the
segment ...
I find it very clear where the time is gained in the segment between the average and the optimal. The Garmin uses the same tool AiM (time compare), Race Technology (time slip), MoTeC (variance) and VBOX (delta-t) uses in the opportunity graph lower right to see it. And the car position is on the track map when it does it.

Not sure I understand what you aren't getting from the current setup other than the optimal comparison to BEST lap, not the average of the quick laps...
Old 10-18-2020, 01:18 PM
txbdan
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

What's the word on if/when it'll be able to connect to canbus?
Old 10-18-2020, 02:33 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by txbdan
What's the word on if/when it'll be able to connect to canbus?
No plans for that. It does not need car info to determine what you need to do to do better.
Old 10-18-2020, 02:52 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,133 Likes on 1,846 Posts

No plans for that. It does not need car info to determine what you need to do to do better.
It would be great if it could shut the car down if OSB.
Old 10-18-2020, 05:38 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 573 Likes on 255 Posts

I find it very clear where the time is gained in the segment between the average and the optimal. The Garmin uses the same tool AiM (time compare), Race Technology (time slip), MoTeC (variance) and VBOX (delta-t) uses in the opportunity graph lower right to see it. And the car position is on the track map when it does it.
I'd like to see a Pause button on these pages so I can stop everything when the time begins to diverge and I can better study everything at that point. I hate having to wait for it scroll back to that point as it takes several cycles to really soak it all in.
The following 2 users liked this post by jakermc:
Larry Cable (10-18-2020), ProCoach (10-18-2020)
Old 10-18-2020, 07:23 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Not sure I understand what you aren't getting from the current setup other than the optimal comparison to BEST lap, not the average of the quick laps...
All I am saying/asking is that the part of the optimal (purple) line that corresponds to the part of that line where the time is gained over (your) best lap is *highlighted* in a 3rd color to draw your attention
to that specific part of the optimal line ...

otherwise you have to watch the timeline and the animation to correlate the time gains with the part of the optimal line that is critical to that potential gain...
Old 10-18-2020, 08:28 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
All I am saying/asking is that the part of the optimal (purple) line that corresponds to the part of that line where the time is gained over (your) best lap is *highlighted* in a 3rd color to draw your attention
to that specific part of the optimal line ...

otherwise you have to watch the timeline and the animation to correlate the time gains with the part of the optimal line that is critical to that potential gain...
I think I see.

But, in my experience, these gains are dynamic and occur over some distance traveled. Not a static “turning point” where the gain occurs magically.

My experience that it is primarily longitudinal commitment beyond line that makes a difference is also validated by examining my own differences in the Catalyst sessions from my last race. It’s quite good.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:41 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I think I see.

But, in my experience, these gains are dynamic and occur over some distance traveled. Not a static “turning point” where the gain occurs magically.

My experience that it is primarily longitudinal commitment beyond line that makes a difference is also validated by examining my own differences in the Catalyst sessions from my last race. It’s quite good.
Nope I dont think you do!, I guess I am having trouble explaining what it is I am talking about (as I am *not* talking about a "point in time") ... I'll try and take a screen shot and illustrate what I mean ...

but I will try one more time ... when you look at an opportunity page you have the "line" animation on the left and the graphs on the right, in particular the "time" graph...

As the animation runs, you see the white and purple dots travel your, and the optimal line, simultaneously on the graphs, similar dots move along the comparative lines on the
graphs.

On the "time" line, at some point the optimal purple line diverges from the "white" line showing how the optimal line is faster/quicker than your line ....

back on the line simulation - I'd like the optimal line, from the point at which the time lines diverge, highlighted, from that point *onwards* ... that would highlight the part of the
optimal line where time gains commence ... this would display the critical section of the optimal line ...

I'll draw it ...

Last edited by Larry Cable; 10-18-2020 at 08:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Martin S. (10-18-2020)

Quick Reply: Garmin Automated Coaching