Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garmin Automated Coaching

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 11:48 AM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

I just bought one yesterday. My only complaint is that the very first instruction is to turn it on and update the software. However, when you power up the unit by pressing the 'on' button you immediately get a message that the software should be updated, but you cannot update the software unless the unit is plugged in to power. And the unit of course does not come with a 110VAC charging adaptor. That is simply unacceptable for a $999 package. My racecar does not have either USB or a cigarette lighter, and where I work on the racecar does not have internet. So, it will require quite a Rube Goldberg machination to figure out how to update the software!

Last edited by raspritz; 10-14-2020 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-14-2020, 11:50 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,612 Likes on 2,348 Posts

Originally Posted by raspritz
I just bought one yesterday. My only complaint is that the very first instruction is to turn it on and update the software. However, you immediately get a message that you cannot update the software unless the unit is plugged in to power. And the unit of course does not come with a 110VAC charging adaptor. That is simply unacceptable for a $999 package. My racecar does not have either USB or a cigarette lighter, and where I work on the racecar does not have internet. So, it will require quite a Rube Goldberg machination to figure out how to update the software!
I found that simply plugging the unit into a USB port on my Mac is sufficient for the Catalyst to permit update/upgrade... I believe it does not need charging current only maintenance current which the Mac USB can provide... YMMV

Old 10-14-2020, 12:04 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I found that simply plugging the unit into a USB port on my Mac is sufficient for the Catalyst to permit update/upgrade... I believe it does not need charging current only maintenance current which the Mac USB can provide... YMMV
Thanks. A variation of that worked. Somebody else suggested I not bother to hard-wire the unit to car power, and instead just power the unit using a tiny microUSB charging brick that I ziptie to the rollcage. That works brilliantly!.
Old 10-14-2020, 12:20 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default My Garmin Catalysts came with .....

I just bought one yesterday. My only complaint is that the very first instruction is to turn it on and update the software. However, when you power up the unit by pressing the 'on' button you immediately get a message that the software should be updated, but you cannot update the software unless the unit is plugged in to power. And the unit of course does not come with a 110VAC charging adaptor. That is simply unacceptable for a $999 package. My racecar does not have either USB or a cigarette lighter, and where I work on the racecar does not have internet. So, it will require quite a Rube Goldberg machination to figure out how to update the software!
Quite a few electronic devices require that a USB power source dongle be connected to 110 VAC power. It may be because this power source is smoother, more consistent than the power off a USB port.

Everything needed for a hard-wire installation should have been included. As you look at the pic below, you'll see that on the end of the provided Garmin wiring, is a wiring connection that plugs into the Garmin mount...powering the unit. Just take the charging unit, with the Catlust mounted, and get thee to a 110 VAC outlet. You'll have to provide the USB to 110 VAC adapter, maybe $10? Let that puppy charge for a good 4 hours. Just to be cerain the Catalyst Li battery is "happy" I charged and discharged my unit at least 2X. But that's just me.

Here are a few tips I have learned:
  • Turn Off the WiFi when not needed. The only time you'll need it is when you wish to take a software download from Garmin. You'll soon see there is a huge one pending. Yes, WiFi delivers the weather....just look out the window, save your battery.
  • After my run group concludes, and after the post session data analysis, I turn the Catalyst off just to ensure that I'll have adequate battery power on hand. This should be a moot point for you as your are wiring the Catalyst into your car's electrical system. I intend to do the same thing....I have heard this is the best approach. After working with the Catalyst for just a few sessions, I want to be doubly certain that the Li battery is always adequately charged. This Catalyst, is Coaching "Crack", once you use it, you'll become possessed with it's power, and will soon notice your lap times coming down.....lat time out, I came withing .5 seconds of the Optimal Time suggested by the Catalyst, but I digress
Enjoy the system: I know I have, as have many others. You should congratulate yourself being an early adopter of this revolutionary technology.

Last edited by Martin S.; 10-14-2020 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-14-2020, 12:41 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Thanks Martin. Yes, I fully understand. I just think that for $999, a 110VAC charger ($10 to me, probably $2 to Garmin) should have been included. I own a very high-end backcountry rescue GPS unit, and that situation is the same. That appears to be part of their business model.
Old 10-14-2020, 05:20 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default I get it...

The reason I would want the 110 VAC adapter to come from Garmin, it would reduce a variable if you need to trouble Shoot a voltage issue.

On the +++ side, the unit is a seductress, you’ll soon wonder how you got along without.
Old 10-14-2020, 06:01 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,229 Likes on 1,856 Posts

I must say, I have not run into a user in over a hundred of these units sold that could not use successfully the included cig plug or power transformer from a 12V source, but any 2.1A or better USB wall wart works fine.

We had fun putting one in a 3R today. One of the things that contributed to a PB and more consistent driving, among many, for the driver. He went a second quicker, later.

Last edited by ProCoach; 10-14-2020 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-15-2020, 12:14 AM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Oh, I did the hard wire install; very easy. Still, it would have been nice if Garmin had included a 110V charger if they don't want folks using the USB (and if that is the case, why did they include a USB charging cable in the package?). On another topic, the instruction manual can be charitably described as 'cursory'.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:14 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Oh, I did the hard wire install; very easy. Still, it would have been nice if Garmin had included a 110V charger if they don't want folks using the USB (and if that is the case, why did they include a USB charging cable in the package?). On another topic, the instruction manual can be charitably described as 'cursory'.
A majority of users choose the USB cig lighter plug transformer and cable included in the package. This is something that, when assembled with the optional camera suction cup mount, makes this a great instructor tool. Installation can be done in less than 90 seconds, including entering a new profile for each driver and car, calibration of the camera and car power hook up, and torn down in about 30 seconds.

The online resources are quite good. The enclosed guide is just a QuickStart guide.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-16-2020, 12:44 AM
burnergt4
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 224 Posts

I purchased one of these units ahead of a track day out at New Jersey Motorsports Park this past weekend, and count me impressed. As an intermediate solo driver, the user friendliness and straightforward, easy-to-understand presentation of information made this thing worth it to me in just a couple sessions. The 2020 track season is winding down for me, but I really look forward to getting this out on more circuits next year and really wringing the most out of it (hopefully Garmin will keep iterating and adding software features throughout the winter!).
The following users liked this post:
loneregister (10-16-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 12:57 AM
loneregister
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 24 Posts

Just used mine on track. new Personal best. dropped my PB time by 0.6 seconds, and, while I am not the track record holder, I am one of the faster drivers out there.
Worth it. But I can see where it would be very, very dangerous for someone who just listens, and does not think about what it is telling you. It's a computer. It thinks it knows the track. But you have to make sure that it's not driving you off the track.

For example, it kept telling me to track out. But I was literally on the rumble strips. It might have been telling me to track out sooner or later, which would be valid. but there was no more track to track out to, where I was. If I decided to pay attention to that literally, without thinking, I would have been off track. That ones a bit obvious. But it also can tell you to brake later, brake lighter etc... It's up to you to decide if you can handle that or if it's realistic.

So - while I really, really approve of it. I extend this caution. I can see many drivers getting this, and stuffing cars into things outside of the track. "But the garmin told me I could make it!!".
Old 10-16-2020, 02:20 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Great points made above....

I have only had one session with Advanced Coaching feature, and I absolutely loved it. I am looking forward to five (5) sessions tomorrow at Willow Springs Raceway in Rosamond, CA....clearly I am a rank amateur with Advanced Coaching....BUT, I keep in the back of my mind, this is a machine computing the Optimal Line from a mere three (3) initial laps. I don't expect the Catalyst to be perfect all the time with the Advanced Coaching...need to mix in a little common sense. This device is for the intermediate to advanced driver I would think...there are plenty of us out there.

I do have five (5) sessions with post session Opportunity Review. The opportunities were right on the money. I couldn't miss where I was lifting off the throttle, when I should have been flooring the car. For those familar with Willow Springs, I woosed out on Turn 7...by the Apex of 8 I was on the throttle 100%.....I'll be working reall hard on Turn 7 tomorrow.

On the last session of the day, I was only .5 seconds off the Optimal Lap.....that made me feel good, and I was 2 MPH faster down the front straight than in the past.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:34 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by loneregister
Just used mine on track. new Personal best. dropped my PB time by 0.6 seconds, and, while I am not the track record holder, I am one of the faster drivers out there.
Worth it.

If I decided to pay attention to that literally, without thinking, I would have been off track. That ones a bit obvious. But it also can tell you to brake later, brake lighter etc... It's up to you to decide if you can handle that or if it's realistic.
Good!

I’d like you to check carefully if the camera centerline is truly lined up with the center of the car.

When it is positioned close to the centerline of the car, high as possible and calibrated optomally with the set up reference lines for the neural network box (white rectangle) centered on the front bumper or hood, and high enough so no body parts are in the NN field, it doesn’t tell you to do things like that. Or, at least it didn’t to the dozen or so folks I’ve been helping at the track this week. Take a look, this may help.

Congrats, and that IS the caveat I tell everyone. That if you follow blindly the directions of a machine, you shouldn’t be solo driving. If you augment your own knowledge and foundation with the tips that this gives you, you’ll be all set.
The following users liked this post:
burnergt4 (10-16-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 10:56 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 175 Posts

We shouldn't have to point out that common sense has to take precedence over the guidance it gives... but we've all see the stories about people driving off a dock or something because their GPS told them to go that way. At least a few of those people could be OSB DE enthusiasts right?
Old 10-16-2020, 11:25 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
We shouldn't have to point out that common sense has to take precedence over the guidance it gives... but we've all see the stories about people driving off a dock or something because their GPS told them to go that way. At least a few of those people could be OSB DE enthusiasts right?
Absolutely!

Quick Reply: Garmin Automated Coaching