Sponsored by:

Garmin Automated Coaching

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2020, 12:46 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Relax, I think he just trying to be nice.
Sure. I just don't know what he expected me to do with that. I do appreciate your insight here.

Incidentally, it looks like Amazon has updated their pricing and I'm lucky I ordered when I did! I paid $869 CAD for it. Now it's listed for $1292.96!!

It'll be something to look forward to when we get back out to play in the spring.
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (10-11-2020)
Old 10-11-2020, 01:34 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Update

Wow, $1,200 Canadian. from $900ish. I am expecting the US prices to go up once they get a user base established. You’ll need ear buds, the smaller the better for me. Try buds out before you buy them if at all possible.,

just did my first session today with Advanced Coaching on. It was bloody awesome. You won’t get lonely out there with “Siri” speaking to you. She (it) keeps you very focused. I did a few turns where I heard “nice job”, “above average”. I loved the strokes.
Wild Weasel (10-11-2020)
Old 10-11-2020, 02:43 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

In retrospect I think it may have been mispriced but I’m not gonna feel bad about Bezos losing a few hundred bucks.

It’s a brand new product as you all know.

When stuff is out of stock on Amazon sometimes you can still buy it and it will ship when available and sometimes you can’t and they offer to email it when it’s available again.

After reading this thread a week or so ago I went and looked it up and thought the price was fantastic and bought it. With tax and all it works out to $750 USD to my door.

Looking it up, it seemed to be listed everywhere else for $999 USD or $1399 CAD.

A few days ago I looked and it was still out of stock but without a price and you couldn’t order it anymore.

Now it’s back and says it ships in 1 to 2 months and is $1292.96 CAD which would be $1113 USD after taxes.

So yay for me!!

Hope there’s no hard feelings and everyone understands.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming. Can’t wait for the new toy!
Old 10-11-2020, 02:47 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,064 Likes on 1,794 Posts

I don't think the Catalyst price will change. I do think utility and capability will be added to the existing hardware and software through firmware updates.

People share with me frequently their concern about buying something that will become obsolete soon. I advise people to ask lots of questions and to make the decision based on if they feel the current feature set will benefit them. If it does, buy it.

One of the buying behaviors that has changed since mid-March is people have realized how valuable their time on track is. More people are buying technology tools than ever before to help them leverage what they're doing.

It's wonderful to have seen widespread adoption of these technology tools over the sixteen years selling and supporting them has been my full-time job.

Most buyer's goals are to improve more quickly, with more attention to safety and with less risk. Simple, really.

Almost all buyers and users are interested in spending less time navigating and learning the technology and spend more of their limited out-of-car time getting actionable information for their next session and next event.

It's a good time for this technology...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-11-2020, 06:17 PM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 272 Posts

I don't think the Catalyst price will change. I do think utility and capability will be added to the existing hardware and software through firmware updates.

People share with me frequently their concern about buying something that will become obsolete soon. I advise people to ask lots of questions and to make the decision based on if they feel the current feature set will benefit them. If it does, buy it.

One of the buying behaviors that has changed since mid-March is people have realized how valuable their time on track is. More people are buying technology tools than ever before to help them leverage what they're doing.

It's wonderful to have seen widespread adoption of these technology tools over the sixteen years selling and supporting them has been my full-time job.

Most buyer's goals are to improve more quickly, with more attention to safety and with less risk. Simple, really.

Almost all buyers and users are interested in spending less time navigating and learning the technology and spend more of their limited out-of-car time getting actionable information for their next session and next event.

It's a good time for this technology...
Peter, all sage advice, a master of the spoken word.

The technology of Garmin Catalyst is going to challenge the PCA instructors who act like a traffic cop saying why did I not move you to the next group, because because your not driving the PCA taught lines. But my Garmin told me to do this and are the you, PCA instructor, the expert.

Peter, suggest developing a conflict resolution cheat sheet for the driver to navigate the mine fields with the PCA instructor at no cost, a marketing differentiator not available from Amazon
Old 10-11-2020, 06:34 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

I imagine different regions have different standards with regard to instructors and group promotions and I don’t expect this thing to change any of that.

I’ve long since given up on trying to figure out what they want and just go out and have fun.

I think this thing will help me help myself though.

Like... turn 3 at Mosport. No matter what I try there, it never seems any better or worse. I’m hoping this thing will finally put that to rest.
ProCoach (10-11-2020)
Old 10-11-2020, 06:52 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Tom, I hope it's not that way. I do agree with Wild Weasel's post very much. All of it.

When I started working in this field, not in pro racing but club racing and DE, I hung my hat on objective valuation of a driver's skill and execution.

Because I was ahead of the curve and not many people at all were doing it in club racing or DE's, it ended up working out for me very well as the market grew where I already was well established.

The objective valuation of previously subjective skill execution became valuable enough so that I was able to move on to work with many established professional drivers.

As this technology began to propagate the DE market starting about seven or eight years ago, I've focused on helping people coach themselves using it.

No one size fits all. That's why I carry eight different lines of equipment for optimizing the driver.

I don't think any of these tools should be thought of as tattletales, or challenges to "authority," although I have seen the former happen in racing, and the latter happen in DE's, a fair bit...

The most underserved drivers in DE IMO are the intermediate and advanced solo drivers. Some take advantage of bringing along an instructor periodically, but most are left to fend for themselves.

Yes, they can "learn AiM" or use the Apex Pro or VBOX to "find time," but this thing will talk to you, find and identify the areas of "flowing brilliance" and tell you when you do more of it.

That's 90% of the battle. To make more common (and spread over more of the lap) the flowing brilliance that most all drivers are capable of.

Last edited by ProCoach; 10-11-2020 at 06:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ProCoach:
Martin S. (10-12-2020), Wild Weasel (10-11-2020)
Old 10-11-2020, 07:08 PM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 272 Posts

Tom, I hope it's not that way. I do agree with Wild Weasel's post very much. All of it.

When I started working in this field, not in pro racing but club racing and DE, I hung my hat on objective valuation of a driver's skill and execution.

Because I was ahead of the curve and not many people at all were doing it in club racing or DE's, it ended up working out for me very well as the market grew where I already was well established.

The objective valuation of previously subjective skill execution became valuable enough so that I was able to move on to work with many established professional drivers.

As this technology began to propagate the DE market starting about seven or eight years ago, I've focused on helping people coach themselves using it.

No one size fits all. That's why I carry eight different lines of equipment for optimizing the driver.

I don't think any of these tools should be thought of as tattletales, or challenges to "authority," although I have seen the former happen in racing, and the latter happen in DE's, a fair bit...

The most underserved drivers in DE IMO are the intermediate and advanced solo drivers. Some take advantage of bringing along an instructor periodically, but most are left to fend for themselves.

Yes, they can "learn AiM" or use the Apex Pro or VBOX to "find time," but this thing will talk to you, find and identify the areas of "flowing brilliance" and tell you when you do more of it.

That's 90% of the battle. To make more common (and spread over more of the lap) the flowing brilliance that most all drivers are capable of.
I hope but a great instructor and person with your first name shared with me there was a "traffic cop mentality out there" but my personal experience is was pervasive in one club.

I am looking forward to having the Garmin my coach next year with finally a neutral handling and rotating race car thanks to Simon's taking me under his wing and me getting the suspension to perform. It is a great feeling of success.

Last edited by T&T Racing; 10-11-2020 at 07:12 PM.
ProCoach (10-11-2020)
Old 10-11-2020, 07:29 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

FWIW, I’m not even sure PCA will allow this.

I think if I turn the screen away so I can’t see it while driving and just depend on the voice prompts and using the analysis between sessions I might be ok.

They’re very strict about timing equipment, and for good reason as it has to do with insurance.

They seem to be fine with data loggers that aren’t visible to the driver.

I’ll lose the red/green visual guide but I expect the audio to be really valuable for me.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:19 PM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
heads up 2.50 OTA upgrade now available.
does anyone know if they have release notes posted anywhere? It would be interesting to follow along as they make improvements. I went to the Garmin website but the support page doesn’t load for me, or didn’t earlier today.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:31 PM
skru_fase
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
FWIW, I’m not even sure PCA will allow this.

I think if I turn the screen away so I can’t see it while driving and just depend on the voice prompts and using the analysis between sessions I might be ok.

They’re very strict about timing equipment, and for good reason as it has to do with insurance.

They seem to be fine with data loggers that aren’t visible to the driver.

I’ll lose the red/green visual guide but I expect the audio to be really valuable for me.
You should consider trying BMW Trillium next year, they are a lot more lenient with data loggers than PCA, provided you are advanced or solo.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:43 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,596 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by Difool
does anyone know if they have release notes posted anywhere? It would be interesting to follow along as they make improvements. I went to the Garmin website but the support page doesn’t load for me, or didn’t earlier today.
I wondered exactly the same thing but could not find anything via Google search.... And I don't see any new features so I'm must be a bug fix!

But it's cool that they have this ability since I hope we will see new features be delivered this way ...
Old 10-11-2020, 08:44 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by skru_fase
You should consider trying BMW Trillium next year, they are a lot more lenient with data loggers than PCA, provided you are advanced or solo.
I’m not sure I’m allowed as a White group driver with PCA.

I run some events with Infinite Motorsports though so if PCA takes issue with it I’ll just switch to more of those.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:52 PM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
heads up 2.50 OTA upgrade now available.
GT3_Driver (10-12-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 03:59 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Difool
does anyone know if they have release notes posted anywhere?
They're not posted on their site, but I reached out and asked after your post because I am interested, too.

Quick Reply: Garmin Automated Coaching