Sponsored by:

Garmin Automated Coaching

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2020, 03:00 PM
Erik Garci
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dsddcd
Great job with the 3D printing that looks fantastic!
All parts in that setup are off-the-shelf, not 3D-printed.
The following users liked this post:
dsddcd (11-20-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 10:27 AM
hsb1001
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

Just got back after a weekend at Sebring and using the Garmin for the first time. I can only say its incredible! Set my best times ever with some good data analysis reviews and the coaching via Bluetooth certainly helped a little.

Only issue with the unit is the download and overlaying of data after a great weekend, you have to use their garmin app and its complicated and very difficult to sync data with video which sucks.

Otherwise a highly recommended tool for trackside coaching and analysis, I learned 4 turns where I could improve significantly, i asked an ex IMSA GT Driver about a particular turn and his own words were the Garmin is spot on, and real coaching is touch when flying through Bishops at 130mph with a student and headset.
The following 3 users liked this post by hsb1001:
Apex Ace (11-26-2020), Martin S. (11-23-2020), ProCoach (11-23-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 10:39 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,064 Likes on 1,794 Posts

Originally Posted by hsb1001
Just got back after a weekend at Sebring and using the Garmin for the first time. I can only say its incredible! Set my best times ever with some good data analysis reviews and the coaching via Bluetooth certainly helped a little.

Only issue with the unit is the download and overlaying of data after a great weekend, you have to use their garmin app and its complicated and very difficult to sync data with video which sucks.

Otherwise a highly recommended tool for trackside coaching and analysis, I learned 4 turns where I could improve significantly, i asked an ex IMSA GT Driver about a particular turn and his own words were the Garmin is spot on, and real coaching is touch when flying through Bishops at 130mph with a student and headset.
SO glad to hear this. Matches most folks' experience so far.

I will say that this device is NOT DESIGNED for exporting data or information-laden video ex post facto, so no real sympathy for this lack of feature set. It may come online next year, it may not.

You should be pulling off the optimal laps from the session folders and saving them for preview before you go back. THAT is what works well.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-23-2020, 12:05 PM
hsb1001
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
SO glad to hear this. Matches most folks' experience so far.

I will say that this device is NOT DESIGNED for exporting data or information-laden video ex post facto, so no real sympathy for this lack of feature set. It may come online next year, it may not.

You should be pulling off the optimal laps from the session folders and saving them for preview before you go back. THAT is what works well.
Thanks Peter, I guess i need to find the optimal video lap when connecting to the laptop, it only shows the video files by date and not the best lap, i guess i need to find a way of searching for that lap.
Old 11-23-2020, 01:37 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts

This Users Guide took a lot of time, I can imagine. Thanks to dsddcd for the time and effort. You know I am printing this baby out in about a nano-second.
dsddcd (11-23-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 01:57 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Thanks Peter, I guess i need to find the optimal video lap when connecting to the laptop, it only shows the video files by date and not the best lap, i guess i need to find a way of searching for that lap.
The files are in each run folder, listed under driver profile, track and car profile.

There are always two video files, one of which is full length session with good sound and the other that is the stitched together optimal lap with no sound.

I've done this several dozen times, once this morning already.
Old 11-23-2020, 02:30 PM
hsb1001
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
The files are in each run folder, listed under driver profile, track and car profile.

There are always two video files, one of which is full length session with good sound and the other that is the stitched together optimal lap with no sound.

I've done this several dozen times, once this morning already.
Thanks, I was looking for the single video of the best lap not optimal i guess. This is where I was running into struggles with the overlay which is very clumsy to manage.
Old 11-23-2020, 02:49 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Thanks, I was looking for the single video of the best lap not optimal i guess. This is where I was running into struggles with the overlay which is very clumsy to manage.
Ah! "I see," said the blind man!

One of the things I have had to wrap my head around is that the Catalyst doesn't even identify the best single lap other than in the immediate post-session review page (when you press the end button) or in the lap time listing.

It's identified instead a grouping of several laps within a narrow range of the best and called that your Average lap. THAT is why it's so difficult.

You'd have to identify first the lap number of the best lap and then trim the raw video before and after to isolate it. Then, overlay the metrics.

I don't usually compare drivers to their "Average" lap time, even culled from all the laps in the session, because I compare (like every other coach) the sectors of their BEST lap to better sectors in ANY lap the rest of the session (or another session or driver). Legacy thinking...

The Catalyst kind of does that for me in the assembly of the Optimal lap.

Again, I know that this system is not currently designed to export individual laps in video, 10 Hz data in a .csv or any other uploadable, rendered video. That may come, it may not.

For that, there are other tools.

Last edited by ProCoach; 11-23-2020 at 02:54 PM.
hsb1001 (11-23-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 03:43 PM
GT3_Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

How does the Catalyst handle traffic / bad lap .... Is it "Averaged" with all laps?

Any way to remove?
Old 11-23-2020, 05:44 PM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

I updated the Video Overlay Tutorial using the Virb Software this afternoon and it is available to all!

https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/5ad...%20V2-0001.pdf

Let me know if there are further topics you have questions about!

Old 11-23-2020, 05:58 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Thanks, Scott. Was about to share that post.
dsddcd (11-23-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 06:00 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by GT3_Driver
How does the Catalyst handle traffic / bad lap .... Is it "Averaged" with all laps?

Any way to remove?
No, it picks tightly grouped laps (which is why it has the variance percentage on the first post-session review screen).

If you're on a really good lap, a car comes into view of the camera and the pace falls drastically away (due to traffic), it saves the really good part to build the Optimal lap and discards the slow stuff.

It's "smart" and it learns.

When you get better, it stretches the goal posts.
Mikelly (11-24-2020)
Old 11-24-2020, 08:13 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 69 Posts

I can't wait to put this thing to use.
Old 11-24-2020, 10:45 AM
BF951
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Are there any anticipated changes for the next release or an update based on the good feedback out there? I've decided I'm buying one but don't know whether to scratch the itch now or just wait until April when I can actually use it (NE US) and possibly pick up an updated version. Are these units designed that Firmware/SW updates can be applied?
Old 11-24-2020, 10:47 AM
hsb1001
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dsddcd
I updated the Video Overlay Tutorial using the Virb Software this afternoon and it is available to all!

https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/5ad...%20V2-0001.pdf

Let me know if there are further topics you have questions about!

So when exporting the data file from the Garmin connect site, we still need to sync it and find the exact point on the video and the data files when G-Sync is enabled? I just tried this and the "Original" file vs FIT is larger and finding the exact time on the data still doesn't sync with the video point of time.

Garmin definitely needs to make this easier for some of us where you can add an export / email video file with their basic overlays to anyone or anywhere. Harry's and others just let you send it out from cell phone to any place which has been very simple for me in the past. I understand Optimal is what is needed but when looking at your best lap which most of us look at too is what they need to add and make is simple so you don't have to go to their connect site and editing software.

Quick Reply: Garmin Automated Coaching