Garmin Automated Coaching

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2020, 08:57 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,062 Likes on 1,794 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
back on the line simulation - I'd like the optimal line, from the point at which the time lines diverge, highlighted, from that point *onwards* ... that would highlight the part of the
optimal line where time gains commence ... this would display the critical section of the optimal line ...
Hmm. Usually a time variance change is generated by in increase in speed, a lessening of deceleration force (rolling more speed deeper in the brake zone) or an increase in acceleration force (earlier/more/quicker to WOT throttle).

Seems to me the other tabs of the opportunities often give you that color change (heat map) on the left side of the page and on the line drawings of where the improvement started, along with the amplitude of improvement. At least it does with mine. Looking forward to your picture(s).

Last edited by ProCoach; 10-18-2020 at 08:58 PM.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:58 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 174 Posts

This is starting to get complicated.

I just want it to say "Good job!" in a nice soothing lady voice after I go around each corner.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:12 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel

I just want it to say "Good job!" in a nice soothing lady voice after I go around each corner.
That's exactly what it does right now.

People want to make it complicated. There are certainly several choices that will accommodate that wish. I can certainly help with that.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-19-2020, 02:41 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel

I love that too, "Better than Average" comment is acceptable as well. Beating the Optimal Time, now that will be the best, haven't done that yet, but did come within .3 seconds once! We (Catalyst and me) are going to Buttonwillow Raceway November 7/8, at least that's the plan. Will have my newly acquired plug in ear buds with their 3.5 mm audio jack, I just don't trust Bluetooth. Wireless buds can go dead, are easily lost as well. For reasons that I am certain are entirely all my fault, of the 10 sessions I have run with Catalyst, I had Bluetooth grief on about 7 of them. I deeply miss the Advanced Coaching audio feedback from Catalyst, it is addictive, Catalyst "crack".

With DE and TT, once the first few laps are in the record book, I wind up driving by myself, could be because either everyone is faster than me, or slower, as the case may be. I just get bored after a while and find me losing my focus. With audio coaching, I stay in the moment, and truly relish "her" comments, such we have seen above...."Keep Pushing", is another favorite of mine.

Thanks to Peter and the many, many Rennlisters that continue bringing subtle Catalyst nuances to the table.
Old 10-19-2020, 03:02 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

when reviewing opportunities sometimes I see the "add to race coach" button but usually its not there and I cant figure out why it shows or doesnt show. Any suggestions?
Old 10-19-2020, 03:55 PM
burnergt4
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
With audio coaching, I stay in the moment, and truly relish "her" comments, such we have seen above...."Keep Pushing", is another favorite of mine.
"Good job carrying more speed" is one that I was proud of when I heard it 😂
The following users liked this post:
Wild Weasel (10-19-2020)
Old 10-19-2020, 06:46 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Wow, just checking out this thread. Yet another gadget. It will be interesting to look back on all of this in five years....

I see mention of my friend/former student's "Flat Out" animation. When he and I first met, I never envisioned such an animation or its opportunities in the social media space.

I see mention of the Hot Lap system... I remember visiting that company many moons ago. They were right around the corner from the complex that housed the world championship winning Porsche 935 teams back in the day as well as Rennwerks... created by some old friends/former students that still have their Rolex's I reckon...

And now I see Larry Cable's name. So if that is THE Larry Cable I extend an offer to work with you to go faster at Sears Point. Nice to see you are still at it.

The track day seems to be alive and well... and the death of amateur racing is nigh?

Old 10-19-2020, 06:48 PM
Erik Garci
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jakermc
I'd like to see a Pause button on these pages so I can stop everything when the time begins to diverge and I can better study everything at that point. I hate having to wait for it scroll back to that point as it takes several cycles to really soak it all in.
I'd prefer to touch any point on the squiggly line, and the cars would jump there and stop. Then I'd like to pinch the squiggly line with two fingers to zoom in/out at that point, which would help to focus on a turn at the end of a long straight.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:49 PM
Erik Garci
Track Day

I'd like to make a suggestion for the presentation of the "opportunity" data, I would like to see the section of the segment where the "optimal" line diverges from the "best" line to be highlighted
in a 3rd color from the purple/white ...
I'd prefer seeing the gray track become gradually greener where the optimal time delta gets better (or redder if it gets worse somewhere).
Old 10-19-2020, 06:56 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,596 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
Wow, just checking out this thread. Yet another gadget. It will be interesting to look back on all of this in five years....

I see mention of my friend/former student's "Flat Out" animation. When he and I first met, I never envisioned such an animation or its opportunities in the social media space.

I see mention of the Hot Lap system... I remember visiting that company many moons ago. They were right around the corner from the complex that housed the world championship winning Porsche 935 teams back in the day as well as Rennwerks... created by some old friends/former students that still have their Rolex's I reckon...

And now I see Larry Cable's name. So if that is THE Larry Cable I extend an offer to work with you to go faster at Sears Point. Nice to see you are still at it.

The track day seems to be alive and well... and the death of amateur racing is nigh?
h'mmm am I "the" Larry Cable - I am certainly the same, well quite a bit older now ... and only just still at it!
Old 10-19-2020, 06:58 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,596 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by Erik Garci
I'd prefer to touch any point on the squiggly line, and the cars would jump there and stop. Then I'd like to pinch the squiggly line with two fingers to zoom in/out at that point, which would help to focus on a turn at the end of a long straight.
you you can zoom the animation as you describe?

I agree it would be nice to be able to pause it though!
Old 10-19-2020, 09:15 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by MarcD147
when reviewing opportunities sometimes I see the "add to race coach" button but usually its not there and I cant figure out why it shows or doesnt show. Any suggestions?
You need to drill down to the specifics tabs under each opportunity, so it can coach you next session on what you just reviewed. Braking, line and speed, three per opportunity. It will never run out of things to talk you through.

Originally Posted by Mahler9th

The track day seems to be alive and well...
The lovely thing about THIS "gadget" is that it is unlike anything that has come before it.

It is active, not passive. It does not require a computer or computer knowledge to navigate and gain good use from. It does not require specialized knowledge in software and "data interpretation" to receive specific, highly detailed reinforcement of what you're doing well and what you can do better, audibly, with the spoken word. It is easy. It is perfect for solo drivers looking to move forward from being stuck at a performance plateau. It replays each corner, every lap. It has intelligent ability to discriminate and only use what adjacent segments can be possibly joined together without blowing the next one. It has the ability to build a neural network, a "vision" of the track width and determine when and how much it should tell you in time for you to do something about it, to GET CLOSER to the apex.

It is active, not passive. It does NOT let the technology get in the way of going faster, based on objectively derived information.

THAT is what we will remember in five years...

The track day is not only alive and well, business is exploding and there are more people than ever before at track days around North America.

Club racing? Individual event entries may be dissipated because of so many places to race, but the whole is marginally up, as well.

Last edited by ProCoach; 10-19-2020 at 09:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ProCoach:
Mahler9th (10-20-2020), Martin S. (10-20-2020)
Old 10-19-2020, 09:44 PM
burnergt4
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 224 Posts

you you can zoom the animation as you describe?

I agree it would be nice to be able to pause it though!
I think what Erik means is that it would be nice to be able tap and hold on the Average v. Optimal delta section in order to scrub through the footage versus having to wait for it to loop again. At least that's what I got from his comment.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:37 PM
Erik Garci
Track Day

Originally Posted by burnergt4
I think what Erik means is that it would be nice to be able tap and hold on the Average v. Optimal delta section in order to scrub through the footage versus having to wait for it to loop again. At least that's what I got from his comment.
Correct, and also zoom. It would be similar to how the Garmin Connect app lets you tap/hold/pinch/drag on the graphs.

Last edited by Erik Garci; 11-05-2020 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:40 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Using the Catalyst At Chuckwalla

I had the opportunity to use the Catalyst during a PCA TT at Chuckwalla this past weekend. The track was recently resurfaced, so nice a grippy. The coaching from the Catalyst and some analysis of Vbox data helped me score a best lap of the day on Saturday (new PCA SDR Lap Record). Here's a video of my subsequently faster lap (but no lap record as it was not during a time run) with the Catalyst coaching me.

Last edited by SanDiegoDavid; 10-19-2020 at 11:41 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SanDiegoDavid:
Martin S. (10-20-2020), ProCoach (10-20-2020)

Quick Reply: Garmin Automated Coaching