Garmin Automated Coaching

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2020, 09:51 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,064 Likes on 1,794 Posts

Fantastic, David!

Perfect blended use of the current technology to move your performance forward.

Congrats.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following users liked this post:
SanDiegoDavid (10-21-2020)
Old 10-20-2020, 11:17 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 174 Posts

Hmm... this thing actively uses the camera to "see" what's in front of you in order to give guidance.
I wonder if there's any capability to control the headlights via Bluetooth such that if the Catalyst "sees" another car in front of you for more than 3 turns it can start actively flashing your high beams... you know... as a courtesy...
Even better... if these things could talk to each other via Bluetooth and it could actually reach out to that car in front of you and have the soothing lady voice say "Please give a pass to the car behind you as you've been holding it up for half a lap now".
Old 10-20-2020, 12:06 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts
Default I likes that one too...

Originally Posted by burnergt4
"Good job carrying more speed" is one that I was proud of when I heard it 😂
Now that I have ditched the Bluetooth ear buds, and am connecing directly into the Catalyst, I will never miss audio feedback from Catalyst. Back to the track (Buttonwillow) 11/7 andf 11/8, then possibly Laguna Seca with NCRC and the grand finale, Willow Springs with the Porsche Owners Club (POC) on 12/5 and 12/6.
Old 10-20-2020, 12:24 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts
Default San Diego David!!!! Wow...

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
I had the opportunity to use the Catalyst during a PCA TT at Chuckwalla this past weekend. The track was recently resurfaced, so nice a grippy. The coaching from the Catalyst and some analysis of Vbox data helped me score a best lap of the day on Saturday (new PCA SDR Lap Record). Here's a video of my subsequently faster lap (but no lap record as it was not during a time run) with the Catalyst coaching me. https://youtu.be/gXGvBjX5XIk
This incredible lap....resulted from:
  • Great driver,
  • Incredible car, one of the best street/track "weapons" I can think of,
  • Track in great shape,
  • Catalyst coaching
The V Box video system is awesome. Congratulations to David. Very impressive...this video will be my reference guide to Chuckwalla.For any of my competitors, don't watch this video, please. I need all the help I can get.

BTW, I just watched another of David's videos from Laguna Seca earlier this year, prior to the arrival of Catalyst. Very impressive.

Last edited by Martin S.; 10-20-2020 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:38 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
I had the opportunity to use the Catalyst during a PCA TT at Chuckwalla this past weekend. The track was recently resurfaced, so nice a grippy. The coaching from the Catalyst and some analysis of Vbox data helped me score a best lap of the day on Saturday (new PCA SDR Lap Record). Here's a video of my subsequently faster lap (but no lap record as it was not during a time run) with the Catalyst coaching me.

https://youtu.be/gXGvBjX5XIk
Nice Lap! Man the new street cars have gotten good. What kind of tires is this? I might suggest playing with some different lines through 6 and 7, you are starting your entry middle of the track and holding it tight basically all the way around, not really using all the road available to you and I think you are giving up time here. It is a weird corner(s). Also, you are giving up time in the bowl by again pinching very tight and you have plenty of room on the exit which means you could have started unwinding and throttling up earlier. It is also a tricky corner. New pavement looks awesome! Can't wait to get out there again - it has been a long time.

Some food for thought on different lines to try. Might be interesting to experiment with different things and see what the Catalyst pushes you towards.

Old 10-22-2020, 10:05 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

So much for mid-November...
My Catalyst shows up today. How exciting!
Less than a week too late for my track day... but I can't wait to take it out and start setting it up!!

Is there a way to test it without a race track? Can I do some laps of my neighbourhood and "create" a track? Will it help me work out the best lines while staying under the speed limit?
Old 10-22-2020, 11:51 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
Is there a way to test it without a race track? Can I do some laps of my neighbourhood and "create" a track? Will it help me work out the best lines while staying under the speed limit?
Not recommended, but try it. Be careful.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:04 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Not recommended, but try it. Be careful.
I really just want to ensure it all works properly. There's been a few comments about defective units. They're rare... but I'd rather not find out mine's a bad one half a year from now when I get back to the track.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:13 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I really just want to ensure it all works properly. There's been a few comments about defective units. They're rare... but I'd rather not find out mine's a bad one half a year from now when I get back to the track.
The defects are generally not of the unit itself, but instead power supply related, at least in my hands-on experience with more than a hundred of these.

If power is not sufficient, the camera won't "connect." If power is interrupted, the camera quits and the session is not successfully closed, resulting in a missed session. I've seen dirty/rusted/corroded cig lighter ports in older cars and even 991 GT3 Cup power pigtails not supply enough power!

In instances where there is a defect in closing the session file successfully or a missing session file (no video or data recorded), it can be caused by crossing start/finish (easy to do at a place like VIR) from pit exit at speeds GREATER than 55 mph. The fix is don't crest 55 mph exiting the pits until AFTER the start/finish line (the official one) for the track.

The issue most of the 8-10% of folks reporting a problem with missing/unsuccessfully closed or saved sessions was fixed and incorporated into the v2.70 update released yesterday. It'll pop up as needing to be done in the top right of the screen as soon as it has WiFi.

The only hardware issues I have seen are one unit (the first I sold) not holding a charge when pulled from the mag base and one hardware power transformer that had an open internally and delivered no juice. Garmin support is awesome!

Best, Peter
Old 10-22-2020, 12:49 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 557 Posts

In the FB thread, someone said that Garmin had told them to use this mount in their race car https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-...yMR3PBb9au8WEo it looks like a good permanent solution.

I saw someone was also printing and offering for sale custom 3D printed Carbon Fiber clips to hold the Catalyst on the mount.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:50 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

So much for mid-November...
My Catalyst shows up today. How exciting!
Less than a week too late for my track day... but I can't wait to take it out and start setting it up!!

I've seen a bunch of folks do this on the FB page. They had trouble getting to trigger the 60 mph recording limit, but I think that has been lowered. Its certainly worth a shot to try it out. I think we've all done this with a Solo. I know my local Exit 9 Grand Prix course works great for these things!
Old 10-22-2020, 01:24 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I saw someone was also printing and offering for sale custom 3D printed Carbon Fiber clips to hold the Catalyst on the mount.
TMI, me, some West Coast folks have them now or soon. The ABS plastic clips are generally around $25, plus additional hardware for the mag base.

I stock the Garmin mount and b-ball required, too. No need to buy the whole mount.

I haven't seen any use for them when properly mounted to a firm surface, but some folks like the insurance.

Last edited by ProCoach; 10-22-2020 at 01:33 PM. Reason: addendum for hardware
Old 10-22-2020, 01:55 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
TMI, me, some West Coast folks have them now or soon. The ABS plastic clips are generally around $25, plus additional hardware for the mag base.

I stock the Garmin mount and b-ball required, too. No need to buy the whole mount.

I haven't seen any use for them when properly mounted to a firm surface, but some folks like the insurance.
I think it was posted here that you are reselling some of the plastic clips that Magnus designed. I thought this was interesting as he was printing carbon fiber. The ABS clip is probably fine, but the printed CF is cool.
Old 10-22-2020, 01:55 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I've seen a bunch of folks do this on the FB page. They had trouble getting to trigger the 60 mph recording limit, but I think that has been lowered. Its certainly worth a shot to try it out. I think we've all done this with a Solo. I know my local Exit 9 Grand Prix course works great for these things!
Oh... the trigger speed must have slipped my notice. I'm definitely not getting anywhere near that around the neighbourhood here.
Old 10-22-2020, 02:14 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Oh... the trigger speed must have slipped my notice. I'm definitely not getting anywhere near that around the neighbourhood here.
I believe it's been lowered, but I don't believe Garmin has released the update notes.

Quick Reply: Garmin Automated Coaching