Sponsored by:

Garmin Automated Coaching

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2020, 04:27 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Perhaps another system, one that would allow both things, would be a better choice for you.

There are many of those. Let me know if I can help. Would entertain a trade-in of your Catalyst against selected new equipment from a variety of manufacturers.
What would you recommend? (I don't want to hardwire anything in the car, but just have it sitting on the dash, attached to the windshield, and possibly to the ODB2 port.)
Thanks.
Old 12-20-2020, 04:32 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,062 Likes on 1,794 Posts

Originally Posted by WP0
What would you recommend? (I don't want to hardwire anything in the car, but just have it sitting on the dash, attached to the windshield, and possibly to the ODB2 port.)
Thanks.
I understand. Several options available. PM me or better yet, email me or we can talk on the phone.

Need to know more about you and your car, but the idea is to match what you want to get out of it with the options available.

Even if I don't sell them...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-20-2020, 04:37 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by WP0
Thanks.
Happy to help with any AiM solutions. Feel free to email me at matt@trailbrake.net or call my cell 603-674-3250. I'm EST and available any reasonable hour.
Old 12-20-2020, 05:17 PM
gassian
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Overlapping the data for the garmin catalyst was not too bad in my opinion.
but again i wish porsche track app got their stuff together and for their app to work. My current biggest issue with their app is connection to external BT module not working ( i have vbox sport 25Hz)
Old 12-20-2020, 05:37 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by gassian
Overlapping the data for the garmin catalyst was not too bad in my opinion.
but again i wish porsche track app got their stuff together and for their app to work. My current biggest issue with their app is connection to external BT module not working ( i have vbox sport 25Hz)
Good info on this thread, don't know more than this. https://rennlist.com/forums/data-acq...ailable-7.html
Old 12-20-2020, 06:03 PM
gassian
Rennlist Member

Good info on this thread, don't know more than this. https://rennlist.com/forums/data-acq...ailable-7.html
Thanks, i have gone thru all the threads about ptpa and have been in contact with them aboutmy connectivity issues, sent them logs, video and they created a ticket to fix. 5-6 weeks ago they prmoised new version is coming to fix it but nothing yet
Old 12-20-2020, 06:29 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by gassian
Thanks, i have gone thru all the threads about ptpa and have been in contact with them aboutmy connectivity issues, sent them logs, video and they created a ticket to fix. 5-6 weeks ago they prmoised new version is coming to fix it but nothing yet
What version are you running? They JUST came out two weeks ago with a new version, 3.3.4

Dec 9, 2020• Extensive optimizations and stability improvements with regard to the connection to the vehicle, so that the recording of vehicle data and lap times is now more stable and reliable.

• Various stability improvements

• Various optimizations and bug fixes

Oct 5, 2020• Optimized for iOS 14

• The synchronization of the main video can now be edited

Sep 11, 2020• Various stability improvements

Aug 12, 2020• The video recording of a connected GoPro camera is now started automatically at the start of a lap timer recording and stopped again at the end

Old 12-20-2020, 11:50 PM
gassian
Rennlist Member

What version are you running? They JUST came out two weeks ago with a new version, 3.3.4

Dec 9, 2020• Extensive optimizations and stability improvements with regard to the connection to the vehicle, so that the recording of vehicle data and lap times is now more stable and reliable.

Oct 5, 2020• Optimized for iOS 14

• The synchronization of the main video can now be edited

Sep 11, 2020• Various stability improvements

Aug 12, 2020• The video recording of a connected GoPro camera is now started automatically at the start of a lap timer recording and stopped again at the end

​​​​​​Hey,
Mine is 3.1.9 on android though. I see you mention iOS.
I also tried this with an iphone a month ago and it still could not connect to vbox.
Old 12-22-2020, 06:41 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 174 Posts

Oh God I hope it’s better!!!

I can’t wait to play with my catalyst but I’d also be ecstatic of the Porsche app just didn’t quit during most sessions!!!
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (12-22-2020)
Old 12-26-2020, 02:45 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Hardwire to the car?

Originally Posted by WP0
Thanks.
I have had my SOLO 2 DL hardwired to my two most recent cars, both 2004 and later cars, one to power the SOLO 2 DL, and the other to pick off CAN bus data for the SOLO. I only say 2004 and later cars this because a CAN bus connection may be questionable in cars built before 2004. My techno guy, in Van Nuys (LA) CA installed the power cable and the CAN bus connection in such as manner as the only way you know there is a hardwire, two cables magically appearing in a seem in the dash. They can be easily removed if need be, and you'll never know there were there. The data power of CAN bus is too good to miss. There is so much information there.

Old 12-26-2020, 03:48 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
I have had my SOLO 2 DL hardwired to my two most recent cars, both 2004 and later cars, one to power the SOLO 2 DL, and the other to pick off CAN bus data for the SOLO. I only say 2004 and later cars this because a CAN bus connection may be questionable in cars built before 2004. My techno guy, in Van Nuys (LA) CA installed the power cable and the CAN bus connection in such as manner as the only way you know there is a hardwire, two cables magically appearing in a seem in the dash. They can be easily removed if need be, and you'll never know there were there. The data power of CAN bus is too good to miss. There is so much information there.
Thanks for the suggestion. I realize that a hard wire likely is fine, but I have an exaggerated fear of screwing up the electrical system with a tap into a wire, as I've heard a few stories of the notorious, but undoubtedly exaggerated, electrical problems with the 991.
Old 12-27-2020, 12:34 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,871 Likes on 1,767 Posts

****SOLD****

I'm selling my Garmin Catalyst unit for $750.

I bought it when I still had my Cayman, and since I moved to a Cup, it won't fit as I already have a MOTEC display added the the Porsche factory display. The Garmin unit will just sit in a box waiting for the one time each year I bring my 944 to the track and that seems like a waste.

PM if interested!

Last edited by LuigiVampa; 12-28-2020 at 10:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
CT_Peter (12-28-2020)
Old 12-28-2020, 08:48 AM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa

I bought it when I still had my Cayman, and since I moved to a Cup, it won't fit as I already have a MOTEC display added the the Porsche factory display. The Garmin unit will just sit in a box waiting for the one time each year I bring my 944 to the track and that seems like a waste.

PM if interested!
PM sent
Old 12-28-2020, 08:59 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

GT3 R with Cosworth, MoTeC, VBOX and Catalyst. Dropped over a second with the Catalyst, first two days using it.Great tools, all of them. And they do all fit.
Old 12-28-2020, 09:21 AM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa

PM if interested!
PM Sent

Quick Reply: Garmin Automated Coaching