Sponsored by:

Garmin Automated Coaching

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 06:28 PM
Erik Garci
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Most computer USB ports are not enough, use a wall wart.
Also, when connected to a computer, the Catalyst cannot go into standby mode, not even by pressing the Power button, so the display stays lit, consuming more power. Garmin Support told me that this behavior is by design. One possible work-around is to use a special power-only USB cable, or to power it off completely by holding the Power button.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:32 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,612 Likes on 2,348 Posts

Originally Posted by Erik Garci
Also, when connected to a computer, the Catalyst cannot go into standby mode, not even by pressing the Power button, so the display stays lit, consuming more power. Garmin Support told me that this behavior is by design. One possible work-around is to use a special power-only USB cable, or to power it off completely by holding the Power button.
which would be the same as using either of the USB ports in a 911 (glove box or center console) since they are both "full" USB ports not just "power only" ...
Old 10-12-2020, 06:34 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,226 Likes on 1,855 Posts

Originally Posted by Erik Garci
power it off completely by holding the Power button.
That's what I recommend people do.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-12-2020, 06:37 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,612 Likes on 2,348 Posts

That's what I recommend people do.
although I think both the USB ports in the car are off/on along with the ignition...
Old 10-12-2020, 07:24 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
although I think both the USB ports in the car are off/on along with the ignition...
Well then, the unit should go to sleep after the user configurable time and wake with reapplication of power.

I have had people not get adequate charging out of using the unit in a normal way, just like the SmartyCam.

I do recommend people charge the tablet up before the weekend to insure that they have a full charge when they take it off the mag base.

To repeat, Garmin recommends charging and powering the unit with the INCLUDED cig lighter USB converter plug/transformer OR the hard-wired 12V>5V USB transformer. BOTH are included.

They say specifically NOT to charge using USB ports of laptops specifically and by inference, others in general.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:06 PM
skru_fase
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
I’m not sure I’m allowed as a White group driver with PCA.

I run some events with Infinite Motorsports though so if PCA takes issue with it I’ll just switch to more of those.
You are best to write the registrar, I know they aren't letting blue run solo, but they may allow you as white, depending on your cv. Obviously neither club are doing check-out rides now, however I was able to move into PCA this year as black, coming from solo in Trillium. PM me if you have any questions.

Last edited by skru_fase; 10-12-2020 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:17 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by skru_fase
You are best to write the registrar, I know they aren't letting blue run solo, but they may allow you as white, depending on your cv. Obviously neither club are doing check-out rides now, however I was able to move into PCA this year as black, coming from solo in Trillium. PM me if you have any questions.
I got a check out ride last weekend
Old 10-13-2020, 10:59 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by skru_fase
Thanks for this. I've got options now for other events so I don't really need to get involved with another group. But if it comes to that in the future I'll get in touch.

Originally Posted by jlanka
I got a check out ride last weekend
I'd make some joke about Americans doing things differently... but even here there are groups that are allowing instructors in cars again with masks on so my point is moot. Not PCA though. UCR hasn't had instructed groups at all this year and their attendance numbers are hurting from it. I give them full credit for keeping us all safe. They ran the very first track event this year when the track was allowed to reopen and really set the bar so far as safety standards go. I'm very impressed by the efforts they put in to make it possible and pave the way for all the other groups.
Old 10-13-2020, 11:30 AM
Driver8
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
FWIW, I’m not even sure PCA will allow this.

I think if I turn the screen away so I can’t see it while driving and just depend on the voice prompts and using the analysis between sessions I might be ok.

They’re very strict about timing equipment, and for good reason as it has to do with insurance.

They seem to be fine with data loggers that aren’t visible to the driver.

I’ll lose the red/green visual guide but I expect the audio to be really valuable for me.

PCA National does not restrict or prohibit personal timing devices in individual's cars on track. However the region may choose not allow it. All of the regions I have run with in the Northeast have no restrictions on personal timing equipment.
Old 10-13-2020, 12:18 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Driver8
PCA National does not restrict or prohibit personal timing devices in individual's cars on track. However the region may choose not allow it. All of the regions I have run with in the Northeast have no restrictions on personal timing equipment.
Considering cars with Sports Chrono have been going to track events for more than a decade, I would say the cat is out of the bag...
Old 10-13-2020, 02:38 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 175 Posts

UCR seems to be fine with them as long as they're not visible in the car.
Old 10-14-2020, 10:10 AM
Driver8
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts

Considering cars with Sports Chrono have been going to track events for more than a decade, I would say the cat is out of the bag...
Been out of the bag longer than that!!

The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (10-14-2020)
Old 10-14-2020, 10:54 AM
txbdan
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

I got to play with one of these last weekend. Wow, really cool. It's bigger than i thought they were based on the pics. It feels like a proper modern device. Maybe it'll push Aim to innovate a little.
The following users liked this post:
GT3_Driver (10-14-2020)
Old 10-14-2020, 11:01 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default Brings back memories

Originally Posted by Driver8
Been out of the bag longer than that!!

Indeed, indeed, how far we have come.

Old 10-14-2020, 11:06 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 701 Likes on 348 Posts

That was quick - sold out of our first shipment already and just got our re-order in yesterday. Haven't even had a chance to play with one much ourselves!

So we have them back in stock plus the small extra suction cup mount for the camera if anyone is interested.

Thanks!

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Quick Reply: Garmin Automated Coaching