Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory M
Dumb question time. Racecar doesn't have a lighter or USB port. I can wire one eventually but not before my next event. Can I power the catalyst with a remote battery, like the kind used to charge cellphone?
I don't know how much power the Catalyst draws, but some of the remote batteries will turn off if there isn't sufficient draw coming of of them. I have done things with a Solo 2 DL on a remote battery and it doesn't use enough power to keep the remote battery on. Hardwire is a better choice if possible.
Old 10-09-2020, 10:31 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Didn't realize it came with a cable to hard wire it, that's perfect, easier than adding a plug. I have a power distribution block I can tap into. Good to know about the solo issues with batteries too.

Last edited by Cory M; 10-09-2020 at 10:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (10-10-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 11:38 PM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

I ran the catalyst two days at the Glen, a track I know quite well. Mixed results. As others have said, the value of a large under/over display that you can easily take in was probably the best. A lot better than the predictive lights on the AiM.

The opportunities were hard to argue with, but you have to sometimes search to find out WHY you went faster. It doesn’t always help to know that your predicted segment is on a path that is 7’ shorter. In my case almost all the opportunities for me, at this track, at this event, boiled down to carrying more speed through a corner.

to that end, my main goal was working on getting a corner set with the least amount of braking in a car I hadn’t driven before. Most of the time the Catalyst would attribute a good result to the wrong thing. When I carried more speed through the entire segment it would latch onto the turn in or track out. If I did particularly well launching out of the Bus Stop, then whatever I did on the line in the carousel would be the favored advice, asking me to apex earlier or later, in different sessions.

For turn 9 it actually asked that I track out MORE, when I was already using the little bit of extension pavement every time. I’m sure it saw something, but following it literally would be getting intimate with the blue bushes.

Occasionally it did ask to brake less, which worked well as a prompt. It would also rarely ask to brake harder, or later, but not both. If I had the ability to have it favor braking advice I think it might have been more helpful. I unplugged the audio for most of the second day because it was mostly pretty random, and not relevant to what I was working on myself.

I can’t wait to try this out at other tracks. Including ones that I’m learning for the first time. I’m also hoping they will continue to invest in both their algorithms and configurability. Love that it is easy to keep updated.

One slight nit. Once I select the track, and then the track configuration, it would be awesome if it remembered, at least for the day. I think in 99% of the use cases we are at the same track/configuration for the day. Easy to have a button to change it when needed.
bbinder (10-10-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 11:48 PM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory M
Didn't realize it came with a cable to hard wire it, that's perfect, easier than adding a plug. I have a power distribution block I can tap into. Good to know about the solo issues with batteries too.
yeah, and few gutted race cars have working cigarette lighters! For hooking it up in my loaner I’m glad I brought everything. The hard-wire cable is quite long, so it was easy to wire it to the battery and ground directly and use plenty of painters tape to get it where I needed to.

I was going to let my friends try it out but while I had the suction cups, they also had the same issues with power. I don’t know if it can run on batteries. I know it wouldn’t detect the camera for initial setup until it got external power.

Last edited by Difool; 10-09-2020 at 11:49 PM.
Old 10-10-2020, 08:48 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,062 Likes on 1,794 Posts

Originally Posted by Difool
I don’t know if it can run on batteries. I know it wouldn’t detect the camera for initial setup until it got external power.
The Catalyst MUST have external power for the camera. USB cig lighter from a jump pack or hard wire. It is not a completely portable device, except for after the session with just the tablet.

Another thing. Charge up the tablet if it's been a while before use. While it charges, it's just like the SmartyCam in the fact that few people have their power on enough to fully charge.

Most computer USB ports are not enough, use a wall wart.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Difool (10-10-2020)
Old 10-10-2020, 02:19 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 174 Posts

I was hoping to have mine set up for next weekend at Mosport but it's not looking likely. I'm in Canada so I ordered it from Amazon but it's still saying out of stock and "We will email you when we have an estimated delivery date."
Old 10-10-2020, 03:06 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
I was hoping to have mine set up for next weekend at Mosport but it's not looking likely. I'm in Canada so I ordered it from Amazon but it's still saying out of stock and "We will email you when we have an estimated delivery date."
I’ve got plenty and can ship Monday.
Old 10-10-2020, 04:45 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,596 Likes on 2,340 Posts

heads up 2.50 OTA upgrade now available.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:37 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
heads up 2.50 OTA upgrade now available.
Easy to do, all you need is WiFi.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:55 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,596 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Easy to do, all you need is WiFi.
I know! Just a PSA that an upgrade was available...
Old 10-10-2020, 07:56 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

I appreciate that and read here about the fantastic support you provide as well.

I’m in Toronto though so buying from you will end up significantly more expensive for me.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:35 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I appreciate that and read here about the fantastic support you provide as well.

I’m in Toronto though so buying from you will end up significantly more expensive for me.
I understand, thank you.
Old 10-11-2020, 02:15 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Get a Bonus with Peter

He will support you if you have a question. Try this with Amazon. Peter bailed me out today with some Bluetooth challenges I was having. Turns out the problen was with faulty ear buds...replaced them, and voila, we are at 100%....

I get the Canada challenge, exchange rates, etc.

Last edited by Martin S.; 10-11-2020 at 02:18 AM.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:04 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Martin S.
He will support you if you have a question. Try this with Amazon. Peter bailed me out today with some Bluetooth challenges I was having. Turns out the problen was with faulty ear buds...replaced them, and voila, we are at 100%....

I get the Canada challenge, exchange rates, etc.

I’m not sure what you’re trying to say with this.

That I should buy from him even if it costs me hundreds of dollars more and that having to deal with him and ship it back and forth across the border if there are issues will be somehow better than dealing with Amazon?

Honestly... I don’t know what to say. You want me to just send him some money??

Got an update from Amazon this morning.

Your new estimated delivery date is:
Saturday, November 14, 2020
Old 10-11-2020, 12:33 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I’m not sure what you’re trying to say with this?

Got an update from Amazon this morning.

Your new estimated delivery date is:
Saturday, November 14, 2020
Relax, I think he just trying to be nice.

I'm glad you have it on order, it's a great product and a paradigm shift from all that has been available before it.

Is it magic? No.

The secret to success is to look at it holistically and with an open mind.

It does provide reinforcement for what you do well without sugar coating. That's a big plus for a lot of people riding around looking at lap times or predictive.

Quick Reply: Garmin Automated Coaching