Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garmin Automated Coaching

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2020, 12:12 AM
Erik Garci
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's a Catalyst video with VIRB Edit overlays.

The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (10-07-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 01:35 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,612 Likes on 2,348 Posts

Originally Posted by Erik Garci

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lh_UCQ3b-I
Old 10-07-2020, 01:43 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default VIR

Must read this disclaimer from OP, Erik: "This video was created by copying the .MP4 video file from the Catalyst's SD card, exporting the .FIT data file from the linked Connect account, and then using the VIRB Edit software to import them, sync them and add overlays."

I am too paranoiud to be popping SD cards in and out of the Catalyst, especially Micro SD cards. My luck, I'd drop one, lose it...and presently don't have a backup. And most significantly, the process Erik utilizes, are way over my head. As has been said, "A man has got to know his limitations," attributed to Clint Eastwood.
  • copying the .MP4 video file from the Catalyst's SD card (I could do this, maybe, pop the card and place it into a SD mini card reader)
  • exporting the .FIT data file from the linked Connect account (I know that Connect is a Garmin app, for moving data around, don't yet have it.)
  • using the VIRB Edit software to import them, sync them and add overlays. (VIRB, more software from Garmin, didn't know it existed.....I have got some learning to do).
Note, it attempts were made to explain the above process to me in any detail, my eyes would glass over. I am consciously incompetent.

Absolutely awed by your mastery of Garmin related video technology. For the time being, in conjunction with the Garmin Catalyst, I'll just continue to use my SOLO 2 DL/SmartyCam package for video...so simple, pop the full sized SD card into a SD card reader plugged into my Mac, and Voila, video with CAN bus data overlay. Were it not for my desire to ocassionaly drill down ito the AiM CAN bus data for acceleration and throttle data, comparitive speed traces,
then maybe the AiM package could be superflous. Also, I confess to loving the rapid data coming off the APEX Pro....fortunately, I have too many gadgets, none of which I can pasrt with at this time, especially the yet to be tried, Garmin Catalust...3 more days and the Catalyst will see some track duty.

What an incredible track....very lite traffic too.

What happened at 5:15, the speedo indicator went to 0.

Last edited by Martin S.; 10-07-2020 at 02:17 AM.
Old 10-07-2020, 01:46 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Martin S.
What an incredible track....very lite traffic too.

the lap ended ...
Old 10-07-2020, 02:00 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

As I watched the video (2X), it seems like you were still pushing the car, on the gas...didn't seem like the end of the lap...maybe that is when you passed start finish? Not important...loved the video.
Old 10-07-2020, 05:24 AM
PTSFX
Rennlist Member

Received 402 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Roblin
Trying to get into the Pink group with Suncoast I see... If you want to follow me next time I can get you down below 2:30
This sorta summarizes why I’m currently on the fence. I’ve had pro coaching at Sebring, and run pretty fast and consistent laps (PB of 2:25 in a 981 Boxster GTS on NT01 in ideal weather for reference), so I don’t think there’s much left on the table.

Right now I rely on an Aim Solo2 for hunting improvements, but I really just use the time delta to my fast lap to measure how much time the mistake I just made cost me.

I’m sure that the Garmin would help my wife, who runs a 2:40 in the same car, so making her happy is probably worth twice the cost of the unit!
Old 10-07-2020, 08:53 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,226 Likes on 1,855 Posts

Originally Posted by Erik Garci
Nice!

Is your polarizing filter on the camera? They come with them in the kit. Nothing like a nice sunny day at VIR!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-07-2020, 09:17 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 175 Posts

Note, it attempts were made to explain the above process to me in any detail, my eyes would glass over. I am consciously incompetent.
This of this as more of a proof of concept, demonstrating what I said earlier. That all the bits and pieces are already in place for this and that Garmin just has to package it up and make it available without all the hoops to jump through.

Old 10-07-2020, 10:41 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by EZ99B5
Right now I rely on an Aim Solo2 for hunting improvements, but I really just use the time delta to my fast lap to measure how much time the mistake I just made cost me.

I’m sure that the Garmin would help my wife, who runs a 2:40 in the same car, so making her happy is probably worth twice the cost of the unit!
On the first, you’re not alone. If I were coaching you, I would build math channels and show you colored maps on coasting time, throttle time, braking efficiency and an estimated but comparable, from lap to lap and corner to corner, total use of the demonstrated tire grip. Then, we’d do track reports and do a test and validation of your best execution of fundamental skills. All from the Solo 2...

Problem is, that’s hard to do. Most folks don’t have time or the inclination to do it, much less between sessions. The gain/loss is a good topical measure, but you have to be very disciplined in your approach to a) detail a prime and option approach to evaluate what works and b) execute BOTH well enough to accurately gauge which was better.

Agree, you’re going well. But if this thing can find Cameron Lawrence .4 at VIR (after he’s on the pole already and went on to win the race) and Ross Bentley .9 at a track after he’s already been wailing around it for a day or two and this is the only addition, it’ll work for you.

On the second point, always a good strategy!

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
This of this as more of a proof of concept, demonstrating what I said earlier. That all the bits and pieces are already in place for this and that Garmin just has to package it up and make it available without all the hoops to jump through.
“All the hoops to jump through?” Hardly, for those who want badly enough to do it now. I just think there are other tools that are better for posting trophy videos to YouTube and FB.

Sounds like the workaround works fine. I am sure this feature set is coming and, as you say, “all the bits and pieces are already in place” for it to happen.

This was not and is not in the original mission for this device, but I agree, it will be nice when it is easier. The idea that this might deliver fully rendered data-on-video, especially at this price point, is just not possible, so it was always going to be post-processing.

Big issue is that whether it’s a Garmin ViRB, GoPro, R T, Waylens or other action camera, RaceRender, Dashware or other software, post processing takes time, time better spent reviewing immediately the previous session on the device, finding and focusing on one or two opportunities offered the very next session, IMO. I just don’t see a lot of people doing this during or after a strenuous day at the track!

Or, with the Catalyst, you can just click the “voice coach opportunities next session” and it will keep you on track.
Old 10-07-2020, 11:12 AM
Erik Garci
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

copying the .MP4 video file from the Catalyst's SD card (I could do this, maybe, pop the card and place it into a SD mini card reader)
I just connected a PC to the Catalyst with a USB cable, and the PC's File Explorer shows the Catalyst automatically and can be used to copy files. I never removed the Catalyst's SD card.
As I watched the video (2X), it seems like you were still pushing the car, on the gas...didn't seem like the end of the lap...maybe that is when you passed start finish? Not important...loved the video.
When the final lap ends at the start/finish line, there is no data after that, not even speed.

By the way, the lap times are rounded to a whole second, so the timer overlay does not align perfectly with the start/finish line. The actual lap times are 2:25.89 and 2:15.81.
Originally Posted by ProCoach
Is your polarizing filter on the camera?
The filter was in place.

EDIT: The filter was rotated 90 degrees by mistake, which explains why so much glare appears in the video.

Last edited by Erik Garci; 10-12-2020 at 05:46 PM.
Old 10-07-2020, 11:14 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

note on Mac you need the Android File Transfer app in order to access the Catalyst internal and microSD card memory...
ProCoach (10-07-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 11:21 AM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 312 Posts

This sorta summarizes why I’m currently on the fence. I’ve had pro coaching at Sebring, and run pretty fast and consistent laps (PB of 2:25 in a 981 Boxster GTS on NT01 in ideal weather for reference), so I don’t think there’s much left on the table.

I’m leaning towards this because I don’t yet have another data system to tell me how I’m doing but I am thinking there are probably 1.5-2 seconds that I’m missing at the moment. If I amortize the unit cost against time gained I’m not sure there are too many things I could buy for my car that would give me a 1 second reduction in lap time for $500...

I typically can run a whole session consistently within a second for every lap So I’m curious about how much time there is to be gained and if it would benefit me more by trying different lines in places like 3-4-5, 14-15-16, and 17. Time will tell...
ProCoach (10-07-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 11:23 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 175 Posts

This was not and is not in the original mission for this device, but I agree, it will be nice when it is easier. The idea that this might deliver fully rendered data-on-video, especially at this price point, is just not possible, so it was always going to be post-processing.
Right. I never expect this thing to spit out rendered video with overlays. As you say... that's not the point at all.

Big issue is that whether it’s a Garmin ViRB, GoPro, R T, Waylens or other action camera, RaceRender, Dashware or other software, post processing takes time, time better spent reviewing immediately the previous session on the device, finding and focusing on one or two opportunities offered the very next session, IMO. I just don’t see a lot of people doing this during or after a strenuous day at the track!
Agree again. These videos aren't about learning anything while at the track. This is about sharing with friends and fun social media posts. I usually post videos a couple weeks after a track day once I find the time to do the post-processing.

None of this talk about creating videos is about making the Catalyst better at what it's made for and none of it should be a deciding factor in buying one. It's all just an added bonus for sharing track videos if someone is so inclined. I've only talked about the details to say that it would be pretty easy for them to add it in as a bonus feature since all the pieces are already in place.

Maybe someone should start another thread about how to do this for anyone that's interested so this one doesn't get side railed.
Old 10-07-2020, 11:33 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

It’s all good. One-stop thread. 😊
Old 10-07-2020, 12:30 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default On The Fence: I get it

This sorta summarizes why I’m currently on the fence. I’ve had pro coaching at Sebring, and run pretty fast and consistent laps (PB of 2:25 in a 981 Boxster GTS on NT01 in ideal weather for reference), so I don’t think there’s much left on the table.Right now I rely on an Aim Solo2 for hunting improvements, but I really just use the time delta to my fast lap to measure how much time the mistake I just made cost me.
I am certain there will be an opportunity to try out a unit provided by a fellow Rennlister/Catalyst user in your area. Peter has sold a bunch of units on the East Coast....the Cayalyst is set up to accomodate moving from car to car, driver to driver. The best candidate to acquire a loaner from, will be the Garmin owner who has mounted his camera with a suction cup mount providing portability; tht's how mine is mounted. Just move the borrowed Garmin to your car/her car, add an additional deiver(s) to the unit, and away you go. It's that simple.

I can relate to your hesitance. I was there too. I had (And still have) a SOLO 2 DL (CAN bus) & SmartyCam and APEX Pro in the car prior to the arrival of the Catalyst. Why did I jump on the "band wagon"? I have a strong need for "real-time" audio coaching such as is provided by the Garmin Catalyst. I presently get a level of "real time" coaching from the APEX Pro, but not to the level provided by the Catalyst. Post-session data analysis? APEX Pro provides some readily accessible insightful data..and now with their data overlay video feature, it is even better, and at under $500, it's a bargain. But I had a deep longing for "real-time" coaching feedback, as well as a methodolgy to look for opportunities in the next session. I was knocked off my feet when I found out about the Garmin Catalyst. At last, an affordable device that met my needs for "reat -time" audio coaching and a simple "drill down" for the next session's opportunities. I plan on using the Catalyst for "real time" feedback, and when necessary to take a "deep dive" into a braking zone, corner or exit, I will have the APEX Pro for a "quick and dirty" post session peek at the speed traces, and APEX score, and the AiM system for readily accessible video, and not so readily available data. AiM RS 2/3 does, as you know, require a download to a Windows system, and subsequent analysis with the AiM Race Studio 2/3.

The fact that Peter Krause was a dealer was a factor as well. His long standing support of Rennlist Racing and Drivers Education is appreciated my me, and many others.

So try one out, have your wife try one out.........it could be an early Christmas present for the family. My Catalyst was my wife's early Christmas present to me.

To sweeten the deal for your wife, get her one of Peter and Ross's Virtual Track Walks so she'll know the best possible line, serving to optmize her experience. She will be at 2:20, maybe even quicker, before you know it.

Quick Reply: Garmin Automated Coaching