Sponsored by:

Garmin Automated Coaching

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 07:58 AM
Erik Garci
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rickster997
I saw those instructions online as well. It seems I am missing the "gear" icon or I am missing it???
You have to click the location ("Sebring" in your case) to make the gear icon appear below the runner icon.

Last edited by Erik Garci; 10-06-2020 at 08:02 AM.
Old 10-06-2020, 10:24 AM
PTSFX
Rennlist Member

Received 455 Likes on 223 Posts

Not sure what you mean about track limits, but I used it at Sebring last weekend with no issues.
How did it perform at Sebring, as that's where I am 95% of the time?
Old 10-06-2020, 11:03 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,315 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by EZ99B5
Have initial reports of good results at Sebring, just like every other track. A few with better consistency and more recording PB’s.

A lot of it is getting to the apex area, who chaired happens to be the interior radius track limit point. I have not heard of the device mistaking a taxiway or access road as the track.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-06-2020, 12:25 PM
rickster997
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by EZ99B5
good I have been trying to break 2:30. With adjustment at 17 picked up a sec. says optimum Is 2:30... so there is hope.. I think it worked very well. I did not turn on coaching, as I did not know I had to do that.. . It’s off by default.. I was able to pair with a Bluetooth aux adapter and had it blaring over radio and I was able to hear it.. looking forward to coaching..
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (10-06-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 12:29 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 175 Posts

good I have been trying to break 2:30. With adjustment at 17 picked up a sec. says optimum Is 2:30... so there is hope.. I think it worked very well. I did not turn on coaching, as I did not know I had to do that.. . It’s off by default.. I was able to pair with a Bluetooth aux adapter and had it blaring over radio and I was able to hear it.. looking forward to coaching..
Do you run with windows open? Was it still clear over the radio? I expect it was... but first hand experience here is key.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:34 PM
cenotaph
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
Now... back to your regularly scheduled programming. I'm very curious to hear about how people are mounting this in their street cars and running the wiring. Is it terribly important that the camera be in the top center of the windshield? I read a review where they said they mounted it near the bottom center to be more convenient and it didn't mention any ill effects from that. My dashcam is permanently in the most ideal location to put this thing and if I put it on the driver's side it will block that sensor thing on the mirror that's probably needed for the wipers or headlights or some other witchcraft the car does.

If you want to try mounting the camera on the driver's side and are worried, the sensor for automatic wipers is usually in the mirror mount. It's that darker/glossier area near the center. I'm not sure what the sensor in the back of the mirror is for.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:41 PM
okroger
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm away from the unit now, but does it pair to pcm for audio? As weasel alluded to, it was hard to hear in car coaching with windows down. I never pursued the BT portion further after first glance as I dont have the helmet earpiece. If it does play over car speakers, that's a big plus.

This might have been touched on earlier, but my optimal lap seems to vary throughout the day. For 3 sessions I selected rain and the last session the sun came out and track was dry, so I selected as such at the setup screen. Is this what would cause the variance?

For mounting i did high high rvm, passenger side. Its tight real estate once off track. The camera folds up easy and I can get the ezpass and radar mounted without any hassle.
The eagle eyed will notice I forgot to remove the film on the lense. That explains why I was cussing the video quality. User error 99% of the time!

Name:  wTTQj71.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  1.41 MB

Name:  7El2U7j.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  1.61 MB

Last edited by okroger; 10-06-2020 at 12:50 PM.
Wild Weasel (10-06-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 01:48 PM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Received 543 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Don't know yet, Mike!
Not sure what you mean about track limits, but I used it at Sebring last weekend with no issues.
Great to hear that!

Have initial reports of good results at Sebring, just like every other track. A few with better consistency and more recording PB’s.

A lot of it is getting to the apex area, who chaired happens to be the interior radius track limit point. I have not heard of the device mistaking a taxiway or access road as the track.
I was less concerned about being coached out onto a taxiway but was concerned that the track width does change considerably in several places so I’m glad to hear it seems to know where the limits are

Trying to get into the Pink group with Suncoast I see... If you want to follow me next time I can get you down below 2:30
Old 10-06-2020, 02:21 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 744 Likes on 366 Posts

While a little late to the party, we should have our first stock of Catalyst inventory here this week! Can't let Peter have all the fun!! lol

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 10-06-2020, 03:09 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,315 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by okroger
I'm away from the unit now, but does it pair to pcm for audio? As weasel alluded to, it was hard to hear in car coaching with windows down. I never pursued the BT portion further after first glance as I dont have the helmet earpiece. If it does play over car speakers, that's a big plus.
It does pair with the PCM. A lot of folks are using it that way.
Old 10-06-2020, 03:11 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

It does pair with the PCM. A lot of folks are using it that way.
+1
Old 10-06-2020, 08:18 PM
Norge911
Rennlist Member

Received 582 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by swberry
I mounted mine here and it worked fine.

Sorry bout that. Just realized you were talking about the camera. 🤪
you attached the unit to your screen with suction cup?
that worked ok?
Old 10-06-2020, 10:28 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 169 Posts

For those of us who are actual racers, driving a super-loud racecar with no windows, either up or down, wearing helmets running blowers, I wonder how well the audio works? Will the audio port directly into an audio-enabled Stilo, for example, or is it necessary to do a bunch of Rube Goldberg bluetoothy ear-bud adaptations?

Last edited by raspritz; 10-06-2020 at 10:29 PM.
Old 10-06-2020, 10:43 PM
bernb6
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm not a racer but I used regular wired earphone thingies with an extension cable going to the Catalyst and it worked fine.
Bern
ProCoach (10-06-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 10:44 PM
swberry
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Norge911
you attached the unit to your screen with suction cup?
that worked ok?
Yes. So far so good. Radio still works. For now anyway. 😜

Joking aside it seems to be ok as long as I attach it carefully and remove it carefully. If I begin to have an issue with satellite signal I can use the arms to raise it a bit like the picture Peter posted earlier. I think the windshield is angled to such a degree that the satellite signal will be ok, but time will tell. I can’t use the large suction cup on the windshield because it is a distraction and blocks my view in certain scenarios. This placement works good for me at this time.

Quick Reply: Garmin Automated Coaching