Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garmin Automated Coaching

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2020 | 10:43 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

I plan on buying one in the Spring. Hopefully by then you'll be able to do a video/data dump and some software/app exists to stich them together.
The following users liked this post:
GT3_Driver (09-29-2020)
Old 09-29-2020 | 10:47 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by docwyte
I plan on buying one in the Spring. Hopefully by then you'll be able to do a video/data dump and some software/app exists to stich them together.
I'm just curious. Why do you think you will need to do that? Because that's the way it's always been?

Just a question.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-29-2020 | 10:57 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by dgmark
Ok coaches, Here is turn 7 at Blackhawk Farms, What is the most important data that I should be looking at from the 3 screen shots and some questions
It said the optimal line is 102 Ft shorter than my average line, Does the measurement start at brake initiation.

What is track usage percent?

How are you able to do a screen capture like that? I don't see an ability to screen capture and export on the garmin

Can someone explain exactly what differences are between 'best seq. var.', 'top 3 var.', and 'top 5 var.'? What do the three different values mean and how is it useful? I presume it tells you how consistent you are, but why are there 3 values and is there a way to determine which corners you are most or least consistent on?

Last edited by orthojoe; 09-29-2020 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-29-2020 | 11:14 AM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

The last option in the screen setup lets you turn on screen capture and adds a small button on the screen.
As far as track usage I could set up farther left at turn-in but at track out, I was already on the rumbles so no room there.

Last edited by dgmark; 09-29-2020 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-29-2020 | 11:26 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I presume it tells you how consistent you are, but why are there 3 values and is there a way to determine which corners you are most or least consistent on?
Exactly. By funneling down from a greater sample to a smaller sample of the fastest laps, you can not only grade consistency but grade the quality of the entire sample average for the session. Makes big difference in the session review. Lesser variance=higher quality average to grade optimal against. Here's Cameron Lawrence in a 981 GT4 CS on 200 TW tires.

GTD Petit LeMans winner, Trans Am winner Cameron Lawrence.

The white highlighted segments are the three opportunities he has to go even quicker (between three and four tenths, according to the display). Select opportunities and drill down to see the three ingredients and where in the segment he did what to find out exactly.

Then, if you wish, select "Voice Coach Opportunities" from those drill down screens and pick ONE or TWO to work on just those areas. Could be control input, car placement or line, you pick what you want to work on. No download, no analysis, no computer. All on the tablet.
Old 09-29-2020 | 12:42 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Exactly. By funneling down from a greater sample to a smaller sample of the fastest laps, you can not only grade consistency but grade the quality of the entire sample average for the session. Makes big difference in the session review. Lesser variance=higher quality average to grade optimal against. Here's Cameron Lawrence in a 981 GT4 CS on 200 TW tires.

The white highlighted segments are the three opportunities he has to go even quicker (between three and four tenths, according to the display). Select opportunities and drill down to see the three ingredients and where in the segment he did what to find out exactly.

Then, if you wish, select "Voice Coach Opportunities" from those drill down screens and pick ONE or TWO to work on just those areas. Could be control input, car placement or line, you pick what you want to work on. No download, no analysis, no computer. All on the tablet.
Looks like he needs a motor upgrade

I'll have to ping him and see what he thought. We were pitted next to each other and he didn't mention using the Catalyst. 🤔
Old 09-29-2020 | 12:45 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgmark
The last option in the screen setup lets you turn on screen capture and adds a small button on the screen.
As far as track usage I could set up farther left at turn-in but at track out, I was already on the rumbles so no room there.
wow this is SUPER USEFUL info! thanks for catching and releasing this

so how do you access the screen shots, are they saved on the SD card?

Last edited by Larry Cable; 09-29-2020 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-29-2020 | 12:56 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I just got off the phone with an old friend of mine that started racing with me thirty-five years years ago. He is typically favored to be on the podium for the RunOffs most of the time he runs. He's run it the last two weeks and set track records at each track.

He did have many of the questions raised by Larry, and again, I didn't have a lot of answers above what we talked about. He didn't improve his personal best, but his race average improved substantially, no longer falling off as he has in the past.

I think it's going to take a little further understanding and an open mind on how to use this, and I think different people will gain different benefits from its use.

Old 09-29-2020 | 01:04 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I just got off the phone with an old friend of mine that started racing with me thirty-five years years ago. He is typically favored to be on the podium for the RunOffs most of the time he runs. He's run it the last two weeks and set track records at each track.

He did have many of the questions raised by Larry, and again, I didn't have a lot of answers above what we talked about. He didn't improve his personal best, but his race average improved substantially, no longer falling off as he has in the past.

I think it's going to take a little further understanding and an open mind on how to use this, and I think different people will gain different benefits from its use.
BTW I didn't mean to crap all over the product, I think its a GREAT product, and personally I have never had the inclination to plunge into the deep end of data analysis ... while I am a (very old) s/w engineer, this aspect of tracking has never appealed to me (perhaps because I am an aging s/w engineer)

The Catalyst has the potential to really open up data driven coaching to those of us too lazy to spend time looking at "wiggly lines" and trying to map those onto our driving... I think there is a learning curve for users, and a development curve to improve the presentation and consumption of the device...

I'm (still) a fan!
ProCoach (09-29-2020)
Old 09-29-2020 | 01:42 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
BTW I didn't mean to crap all over the product, I think its a GREAT product, and personally I have never had the inclination to plunge into the deep end of data analysis ... while I am a (very old) s/w engineer, this aspect of tracking has never appealed to me (perhaps because I am an aging s/w engineer)

The Catalyst has the potential to really open up data driven coaching to those of us too lazy to spend time looking at "wiggly lines" and trying to map those onto our driving... I think there is a learning curve for users, and a development curve to improve the presentation and consumption of the device...

I'm (still) a fan!
Hahaha! Despite my rather clipped and dry postings sometimes, I HEAR you!

I don't think you've crapped all over it at all. Instead, you asked good, cogent questions and, based on your expectations, related that in your first use, was underwhelming, but that you think it has significant potential.

I do know we're scratching the surface and that this is a paradigm shift in how we "consume" data and make it actionable, or at least enhance our understanding of what we did.

It IS the "easy button," though. For sure...
Old 09-29-2020 | 01:46 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Hahaha! Despite my rather clipped and dry postings sometimes, I HEAR you!

I don't think you've crapped all over it at all. Instead, you asked good, cogent questions and, based on your expectations, related that in your first use, was underwhelming, but that you think it has significant potential.

I do know we're scratching the surface and that this is a paradigm shift in how we "consume" data and make it actionable, or at least enhance our understanding of what we did.

It IS the "easy button," though. For sure...
100% agree!

If I had one wish I'd love to have "my" line and/or the "optimal line" overlaid on the "optimal" video - that would be a game changer for me as I would be able to absorb the information in the visualization better than trying to map the opportunities info into reality!

I'll post a couple of screen shots of my opportunities @ Sonoma to show some of my confusion/issues ...

Last edited by Larry Cable; 09-29-2020 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-29-2020 | 02:04 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

I see a lot of dust on the screen. Does it have an "agricultural line" mode?
gman3280 (09-30-2020)
Old 09-29-2020 | 02:38 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I see a lot of dust on the screen. Does it have an "agricultural line" mode?
I think it was the "Full Send It Line" mode...
Old 09-29-2020 | 03:23 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Thanks, Peter. I wasn't sure what values were considered 'good', but I think I did well here in my spec Miata. I'll do a more detailed review when I get some time, but this device definitely helps with keeping the times consistent.
Attached Images  
Old 09-29-2020 | 04:43 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Thanks, Peter. I wasn't sure what values were considered 'good', but I think I did well here in my spec Miata. I'll do a more detailed review when I get some time, but this device definitely helps with keeping the times consistent.
Those are great numbers.

But, as a professional coach, I would also begin to question whether or not you are driving to rote, a particular comfort level, or just very set and consistent in your executions.

That is a GOOD thing.

But, until you focus on working on one specific skill execution in one or two areas of the track at a time, or one corner or corner complex AND begin to formulate a prime and optional approach, practice enough to get good at both and then MEASURE it with this, you may remain "stuck" in the larger measure of total lap times.

Quick Reply: Garmin Automated Coaching