Sponsored by:

Garmin Automated Coaching

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 05:09 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Erik Garci
1. Log into your account at connect.garmin.com using a web browser.
2. Click "Activities" in the left column to show the list.
3. Click the name of a single activity/session (typically the location name).
4. Click the small icon in the top right corner that looks like an 8-toothed gear.
5. Click "Export Original" in the menu to download a .ZIP file.
6. Extract the .FIT file from the .ZIP file.
Ah! I now understand the issues with the reduced granularity of the data. I didn't realize from the earlier comments that the way to get the .FIT files was to pull them back from the cloud site. I thought maybe you could get the originals off the device itself.
My point stands though. For Garmin to make this feature available won't require much effort on their part as all the bits and pieces are already in place. Of course, they'd want to rebrand their software now that they've abandoned the VIRB product line. Which I still think is a shame.

Now... back to your regularly scheduled programming. I'm very curious to hear about how people are mounting this in their street cars and running the wiring. Is it terribly important that the camera be in the top center of the windshield? I read a review where they said they mounted it near the bottom center to be more convenient and it didn't mention any ill effects from that. My dashcam is permanently in the most ideal location to put this thing and if I put it on the driver's side it will block that sensor thing on the mirror that's probably needed for the wipers or headlights or some other witchcraft the car does.

Old 10-05-2020, 05:51 PM
Erik Garci
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
I thought maybe you could get the originals off the device itself.
I can for a driver profile that was not linked to a Connect account when those sessions happened (by connecting the Catalyst to a PC via USB and copying from its internal storage).

Last edited by Erik Garci; 10-06-2020 at 08:40 AM.
Old 10-05-2020, 06:33 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,226 Likes on 1,855 Posts

Ah! I now understand the issues with the reduced granularity of the data.

Is it terribly important that the camera be in the top center of the windshield? I read a review where they said they mounted it near the bottom center to be more convenient and it didn't mention any ill effects from that.

The reduced granularity of the data (and yes, I’ve taken loads of **** for the use of that word on RL in the past ) is not a function of the Catalyst, it’s a limitation of Garmin Connect in its current form. They could even add a separate online database and fix this if they don’t want to upgrade the whole thing. Bottom line is the software and the hardware is capable, so it will come at some point. Right now, with 1 Hz data, a video overlay is no better than HLT with massive latency and of no utility for someone like me in the review.

In terms of the camera mounting, anyone who understands how this device works will tell you that camera positioning is one of the two key factors in the accuracy and efficacy of this device’s operation. With the included clips to keep the cable around the periphery of the windshield, there is NO excuse not to mount it as high and centrally as possible for the best placement of the neural network field within the white box in the calibration page.

IF the camera is too low, not only is car placement accuracy compromised, but there is NO way to keep the body panels of the car within the green border required on the setup screen.

It’s not that big a deal. Like VBOX camera 1, just do it.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-05-2020, 09:14 PM
swberry
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Ah! I now understand the issues with the reduced granularity of the data. I didn't realize from the earlier comments that the way to get the .FIT files was to pull them back from the cloud site. I thought maybe you could get the originals off the device itself.
My point stands though. For Garmin to make this feature available won't require much effort on their part as all the bits and pieces are already in place. Of course, they'd want to rebrand their software now that they've abandoned the VIRB product line. Which I still think is a shame.

Now... back to your regularly scheduled programming. I'm very curious to hear about how people are mounting this in their street cars and running the wiring. Is it terribly important that the camera be in the top center of the windshield? I read a review where they said they mounted it near the bottom center to be more convenient and it didn't mention any ill effects from that. My dashcam is permanently in the most ideal location to put this thing and if I put it on the driver's side it will block that sensor thing on the mirror that's probably needed for the wipers or headlights or some other witchcraft the car does.

I mounted mine here and it worked fine.

Sorry bout that. Just realized you were talking about the camera. 🤪

Last edited by swberry; 10-05-2020 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-05-2020, 10:01 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by swberry
Looks nice, and glad you're getting information, but that is lower than recommended and will reduce the accuracy of the GPS.
Old 10-05-2020, 10:35 PM
okroger
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Are the turn numbers at least proper with respect to how everyone normally refers to them at the track?
garmin chose the nomenclature for the device as 'segment', not 'turn'.
in that regard, the 'segment' and 'turn' numbering drift occurs relatively early on in the lap.

im not a racer so maybe segment is more inline with the terminology used when analyzing and breaking down a session?

The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (10-05-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 10:58 PM
swberry
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Looks nice, and glad you're getting information, but that is lower than recommended and will reduce the accuracy of the GPS.
I have been following the thread and know you have recommended the “above dash” install, but I couldn’t find anything in the manual that references this. I certainly could have missed it somewhere, but while I was under the covered grid both days this weekend I pushed drive and the satellites were acquired quite rapidly and the unit seemed satisfied with the signal even while under cover. I placed it there because the screen blocks the view of the go pro camera behind me and the large suction cup mount blocks my sight picture when I go into tight right turns.
Old 10-05-2020, 11:27 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
It’s not that big a deal. Like VBOX camera 1, just do it.
It wouldn't be a big deal if the area wasn't already being used. If it's critical, I could move the dashcam further to the right I guess. If the placement @swberry used is fine though, then it's a non-issue.

Sorry bout that. Just realized you were talking about the camera. 🤪
No... I was talking about the whole system. So your camera is centered and right below the RVM rather than higher up and to the left or right of it. That would work for me too. As you can see in my pic, that real estate is available. How did you mount the unit itself though? Did you use the suction cup to stick it to the touchscreen?? I don't think I could bring myself to do that. Have you tried it attached to the windshield with the long arm it comes with or can you just not get it as low as you'd like it? I've also got a camera behind me whose view I'd rather not block, but that's less of an issue than the dash cam.

Originally Posted by okroger
im not a racer so maybe segment is more inline with the terminology used when analyzing and breaking down a session?
When talking about where we are on the track we refer to the turn numbers (or sometimes names). When working on your skills though... it makes sense to string some of them together into segments. Think about when you watch an F1 race. They divide the track into 3 or so segments and then talk about who is fastest through the segment. The reason for this is that your speed/time through a turn can be extremely dependent on how you came out of the turn before it and how you're headed into the next turn. So you could go faster than you've ever gone before through one turn but it could be a terrible lap time if you had to compromise the turns before and after it to do it. So you need to get the whole segment right in order to be fast. These can then be split up at straightaways since no matter what happened before it, a long enough straight lets you basically start over for the next segment.

I don't know if anyone has any standards though for what comprises a segment. The coaches here probably know but I don't have a clue. I expect the software would just figure out what makes sense and then use it.
Old 10-05-2020, 11:42 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I have been following the thread and know you have recommended the “above dash” install, but I couldn’t find anything in the manual that references this. I certainly could have missed it somewhere, but while I was under the covered grid both days this weekend I pushed drive and the satellites were acquired quite rapidly and the unit seemed satisfied with the signal even while under cover. I placed it there because the screen blocks the view of the go pro camera behind me and the large suction cup mount blocks my sight picture when I go into tight right turns.
I understand. I got a note from Adam Spence, the Garmin team leader, after seeing a number of installations. He was suggesting folks place their units so the GPS antenna array be unobstructed, that’s all. I’ll post a pic of where that is. Glad everything is working.

Like this.

Old 10-05-2020, 11:42 PM
swberry
Rennlist Member

It wouldn't be a big deal if the area wasn't already being used. If it's critical, I could move the dashcam further to the right I guess. If the placement @swberry used is fine though, then it's a non-issue.

No... I was talking about the whole system. So your camera is centered and right below the RVM rather than higher up and to the left or right of it. That would work for me too. As you can see in my pic, that real estate is available. How did you mount the unit itself though? Did you use the suction cup to stick it to the touchscreen?? I don't think I could bring myself to do that. Have you tried it attached to the windshield with the long arm it comes with or can you just not get it as low as you'd like it? I've also got a camera behind me whose view I'd rather not block, but that's less of an issue than the dash cam.
My camera is centered right in front of the RVM yes. I did mount the suction cup to the touch screen and yes I first mounted it with the arms in the middle of the windshield and above the dash as Peter has suggested, but as I said the large suction cup mount was blocking my sight picture in tight right handers and the screen was blocking the view of the camera behind me. I decided to try this and it seems to work so far.
Old 10-05-2020, 11:48 PM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 312 Posts

Hi Peter,

Any data from those of us who run Sebring? Wondering if track limits at T1, T14,T15, T16, T17a, and T17b are affected by the track width in the setup screen.

For me, this seems like a great tool but I’m interested to hear your feedback regarding my home track considering I’ve read this whole thread and haven’t seen any assessment of its effectiveness at Sebring.

-Mike
Old 10-06-2020, 12:00 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mike Roblin
Hi Peter,

Any data from those of us who run Sebring? Wondering if track limits at T1, T14,T15, T16, T17a, and T17b are affected by the track width in the setup screen.

For me, this seems like a great tool but I’m interested to hear your feedback regarding my home track considering I’ve read this whole thread and haven’t seen any assessment of its effectiveness at Sebring.

-Mike
Don't know yet, Mike!
Old 10-06-2020, 06:19 AM
rickster997
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Roblin
Hi Peter,

-Mike
Not sure what you mean about track limits, but I used it at Sebring last weekend with no issues.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:21 AM
rickster997
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Erik Garci
1. Log into your account at connect.garmin.com using a web browser.
2. Click "Activities" in the left column to show the list.
3. Click the name of a single activity/session (typically the location name).
4. Click the small icon in the top right corner that looks like an 8-toothed gear.
5. Click "Export Original" in the menu to download a .ZIP file.
6. Extract the .FIT file from the .ZIP file.
I saw those instructions online as well. It seems I am missing the "gear" icon or I am missing it???

Old 10-06-2020, 07:42 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 940 Likes on 570 Posts

A great comment about the segments and "optimum lap" by Jay Dee Krill (A Garmin Employee) in the FB group. This explains part of the reason people have results that seem wrong.

Segments overlap so the sum of their times will be more than the lap time. The Average Lap algorithm intelligently removes areas of slow performance that may be caused by warm-up, traffic, flags, mistakes, cool-down, etc. It is not possible to calculate this average by hand. It is possible for the Average Lap to be better than the Best Lap if every actual lap had a different area impacted by one of the above conditions.

Quick Reply: Garmin Automated Coaching