Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garmin Automated Coaching

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2020, 06:09 PM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

I vote to keep it a simple as possible, All the data that I need is right on the unit. I like the fact that I don't have to download. If you want to post awesome video's of your hot lap use something else. The video portion is not high on my list of needs, but I like the brake point comparison.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:35 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,059 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by dgmark
I vote to keep it a simple as possible. All the data that I need is right on the unit. I like the fact that I don't have to download. I like the brake point comparison.
^^THIS^^ is the consensus...

Plenty of other options to make it more involved and complicated.

It is a matter of managing expectations that have been established by legacy device and analysis methodologies, for sure.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-28-2020, 06:44 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by tgibrit
interesting, I do not have any files in that folder or any .fit files in internal memory or on SD card storage according to Windows (show hidden files selected).
scratch that. I just upgraded and I know have the .FIT files visible - one for each session.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:55 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
and the VBOX HD2 (1080p PiP, includes everything)
Love mine...
Old 09-28-2020, 06:56 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Really like Sean Finnegan's take on his new Catalyst. This is a guy that is the Cosworth Toolbox guru for taking GM Performance Data recorded information and really leveraging it to a very powerful platform. This is a good review of the Post Session Review.

Old 09-28-2020, 07:16 PM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

Ok coaches, Here is turn 7 at Blackhawk Farms, What is the most important data that I should be looking at from the 3 screen shots and some questions
It said the optimal line is 102 Ft shorter than my average line, Does the measurement start at brake initiation.

What is track usage percent?

Last edited by dgmark; 09-28-2020 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-28-2020, 07:29 PM
conceptDawg
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I vote to keep it a simple as possible, All the data that I need is right on the unit. I like the fact that I don't have to download. If you want to post awesome video's of your hot lap use something else. The video portion is not high on my list of needs, but I like the brake point comparison.
Hey, whatever floats your boat. I mentioned that as the primary use of the device in my thoughts above. But it's a new device and everybody is wondering what it can/can't do so I figured I'd put as much info in here as possible and let people decide for themselves.

In its current state it is certainly useful mainly for on-site review, learning, and coaching.
But with a few software changes it could be a one-stop solution for a lot of people that aren't quite ready for full-data solutions. It will also be a gateway drug for those more expensive setups because once you start you can't stop.

ETA: also, I'm a data nerd.

Last edited by conceptDawg; 09-28-2020 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-28-2020, 07:48 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Really like Sean Finnegan's take on his new Catalyst. This is a guy that is the Cosworth Toolbox guru for taking GM Performance Data recorded information and really leveraging it to a very powerful platform. This is a good review of the Post Session Review.

https://youtu.be/itYwUKdnoRA
That was quite helpful.
Old 09-28-2020, 08:28 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by conceptDawg
with a few software changes it could be a one-stop solution for a lot of people that aren't quite ready for full-data solutions.

It will also be a gateway drug for those more expensive setups because once you start you can't stop.

ETA: also, I'm a data nerd.
Yeah, well, it has already turned into that for a lot of folks who a) are ready for something more than phone apps, b) have "full-data solutions" and are now looking for proactive feedback and "interpretation" from the information collected and c) want to push the "easy button."

I've always said that the underlying information collected by the "full-data solutions" (those that include throttle, brake pressure, steering angle, maths, entail media and file downloads, transfers and pull-ups, use analysis profiles and worksheets in frankly non-intuitive software) are very good for drilling down and studying the relationship between control inputs, speeds, sector times and vehicle performance. The additional detail of the full-blown data systems is useful for dissecting and validating what is happening, when and where.

Being a data nerd is not the same as knowing what to do with it. I don't see a lot of people going more complex, but I see a lot of people going less complex.

I'm very glad I sell, support and educate more than a dozen different approaches to this optimization technology. It makes a difference.
Old 09-28-2020, 08:35 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,594 Likes on 2,339 Posts

Yeah, well, it has already turned into that for a lot of folks who a) are ready for something more than phone apps, b) have "full-data solutions" and are now looking for proactive feedback and "interpretation" from the information collected and c) want to push the "easy button."

I've always said that the underlying information collected by the "full-data solutions" (those that include throttle, brake pressure, steering angle, maths, entail media and file downloads, transfers and pull-ups, use analysis profiles and worksheets in frankly non-intuitive software) are very good for drilling down and studying the relationship between control inputs, speeds, sector times and vehicle performance. The additional detail of the full-blown data systems is useful for dissecting and validating what is happening, when and where.

Being a data nerd is not the same as knowing what to do with it. I don't see a lot of people going more complex, but I see a lot of people going less complex.

I'm very glad I sell, support and educate more than a dozen different approaches to this optimization technology. It makes a difference.

Old 09-28-2020, 08:44 PM
conceptDawg
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

... I see a lot of people going less complex.
Very true, Peter.

As for the "data nerd" stuff I just meant that's why I'm looking into all of the data. Just to see how it's doing its thing and what's there.
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (09-28-2020)
Old 09-29-2020, 08:02 AM
PTSFX
Rennlist Member

Received 362 Likes on 178 Posts

Ok coaches, Here is turn 7 at Blackhawk Farms, What is the most important data that I should be looking at from the 3 screen shots and some questions
It said the optimal line is 102 Ft shorter than my average line, Does the measurement start at brake initiation.

What is track usage percent?
I’m not familiar with the track, but it wants you to brake later and harder, turn in later and get back on the gas sooner. I don’t have the device so can’t answer your other questions, but a guess on the track usage (assuming it’s lower than 100%) is that you need to setup wider before you approach the turn and then track out further on corner exit.
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (09-29-2020)
Old 09-29-2020, 09:04 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by EZ99B5
I’m not familiar with the track, but it wants you to brake later and harder, turn in later and get back on the gas sooner. I don’t have the device so can’t answer your other questions, but a guess on the track usage (assuming it’s lower than 100%) is that you need to setup wider before you approach the turn and then track out further on corner exit.
^^This^^

How track usage works is an objective measure using the neural network that the device builds from the camera view of the width and the edges of the track, when properly set up.

It’s a constant calculation of track position to the edges of the road from a short, wide strip of more than the width of the track 40-75 feet in front of the car.

All this is visible in the setup menu, and the reason why feedback is limited if the camera aim is a) not centered on the hood, b) has any car body work above the green hood outline and c) level when the car is level.
Old 09-29-2020, 09:42 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 557 Posts

^^This^^

How track usage works is an objective measure using the neural network that the device builds from the camera view of the width and the edges of the track, when properly set up.

It’s a constant calculation of track position to the edges of the road from a short, wide strip of more than the width of the track 40-75 feet in front of the car.

All this is visible in the setup menu, and the reason why feedback is limited if the camera aim is a) not centered on the hood, b) has any car body work above the green hood outline and c) level when the car is level.
Interesting. I wonder what advice it will give when the track topography is such that using the whole track is disadvantages.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:18 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Interesting. I wonder what advice it will give when the track topography is such that using the whole track is disadvantages.
I don’t know, but it means I’m not completely out of a job?

Quick Reply: Garmin Automated Coaching