for those trying to export video, the directory is here
I just pull the mSD card and copy.

Each folder is a session.
Old 10-03-2020, 05:36 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,224 Likes on 1,854 Posts

So I sold one to my friend Dany Marshall, principal of Synergy Racing, for his 991.1 GT3 Cup yesterday.

He said after the first on-track session: "Peter, the Garmin worked great. Great info! Thanks for your help."

Before that, when Quantum put it in for him this morning, the camera wouldn't come on. Said "no camera connected."

So, I came up to VIR and did a diagnostic, swapping out components but obviously flummoxed, because in ninety units sold, no issues except the first one where the tablet had a bad battery and one last weekend that had a bad direct wire transformer.

Turns out, he had an issue of low voltage to the transformer from the accessory DT connector in the center console.

Rewired it, fixed it and he went out and did his personal best.

It matters where you buy this stuff. Not when it's working well, but when there are issues.

Let me know if you're interested in one. With a company as big as Garmin, every sale for a small dealer counts. Thank you!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Last edited by ProCoach; 10-03-2020 at 05:38 PM.
Old 10-04-2020, 08:18 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 979 Likes on 655 Posts

Maybe I missed it if posted earlier in the thread but I didn't see it going through all the posts....here are the recommended/confirmed compatible mSD cards per Garmin: https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?fa...oj6oDfG4NdnaZ5

They say don't exceed 256GB or go less than 32GB.

Last edited by Nickshu; 10-04-2020 at 08:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nickshu:
Martin S. (10-04-2020), ProCoach (10-04-2020)
Old 10-04-2020, 08:23 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,611 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu
Maybe I missed it if posted earlier in the thread but I didn't see it going through all the posts....here are the recommended/confirmed compatible mSD cards per Garmin: https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?fa...oj6oDfG4NdnaZ5

They say don't exceed 256GB or go less than 32GB.
I have used Transcend class 10 128Gb microSD ...

BTW there appears to be no reason to replace the internal card, I thought the unit would use both, however it records only on the external card if present...

Also - it only stores video on the sd card ... the other session telemetry it retains in its internal memory ...

this is a bit of an issue for me, as I would like to be able to reload previous sessions etc from previous visits to the unit when I return to a particular track in order
to review, and also possibly for the unit to use to inform better guidance...

Last edited by Larry Cable; 10-04-2020 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10-04-2020, 11:49 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 175 Posts

Just finished reading this whole thread and I'm intrigued. First... some questions... I understand that the GPS receiver is in the main unit with the screen on it so that needs to be in view of the sky. My PCA region doesn't allow any visible timers. Can this thing run with the screen off or without the timing info visible on the screen?

Secondly... with respect to being able to output videos with overlays... it was mentioned that this is "in the works". Well... from what I'm reading here... that the video files are available and there are .FIT files available, then you guys might be happy to know that Garmin ALREADY HAS software for this. I use their VIRB Edit software to generate these overlays from my Garmin VIRB camera. Now... that doesn't mean you can just drop these files on it and it will work (though it might... I'll try it if someone wants to share some small ones) but it DOES mean that Garmin has everything they need already for this so applying it to this application should be pretty trivial for them. Same would be true if they could pull metrics from OBD2 like the VIRB camera already does.

Here's a video I made a few weeks ago. The overlays that come on at 18 seconds in... that's all from the Garmin software.

Last edited by Wild Weasel; 10-04-2020 at 11:51 PM.
Old 10-05-2020, 02:19 AM
okroger
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
... that the video files are available and there are .FIT files available, then you guys might be happy to know that Garmin ALREADY HAS software for this.
have you read that the telemetry data is presented as a .fit file? im scanning the device and do not see this file type.
video file type is .mp4
Old 10-05-2020, 03:00 AM
okroger
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

For consistency, having segment and turn numbering be identical would be easier when communicating across various platforms.
Understandably, they reference 2 different features so it's not incorrect that the numbering doesnt always match up, but
if efficient digestion of information is a key point, this change does merit consideration. For example, all day I was referring to T10 as T9.
this lead to unnecessary confusion.

Palmer motorsports screenshot showing me in T10 but referring to it as segment 9.
Name:  oKgI1ml.png
Views: 28
Size:  595.6 KB

Last edited by okroger; 10-05-2020 at 03:08 AM.
Old 10-05-2020, 09:00 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by okroger
have you read that the telemetry data is presented as a .fit file? im scanning the device and do not see this file type.
video file type is .mp4
I don't have one of these gizmos yet but reading through this conversation, people mention that there's a folder structure and there are .FIT files for each video. Are you looking at the removeable memory card or did you plug the device directly into your computer?

Originally Posted by okroger
Palmer motorsports screenshot showing me in T10 but referring to it as segment 9.
Are "segments" a thing that's actually defined for a racetrack? It seems to me that these are just made up sections that could be different for anyone that decides to define them and that it's just an unfortunate coincidence that there's a lot of them on your track so the numbers are somewhat similar to the turn numbers. I'd expect a track to be split into 3 or 4 segments. Not 9.

Are the turn numbers at least proper with respect to how everyone normally refers to them at the track?
Old 10-05-2020, 09:02 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

In terms of Regions preventing “timing,” just turn the screen brightness down. In reality, with Sports Chrono, Porsche Precision Track App, RaceChrono and the thousands of Harry’s users, not to mention the ubiquitous AiM Solo and VBOX OLED display in cars these days are all ways around this.

The best part about the on-screen display is the color code.

Green=good, red=opportunities for improvement.

That’s my story and I am sticking to it.

On exporting data files, it’s important to realize that the .FIT files are sampled and uploaded to Garmin Connect in EVERY other Garmin device than the Catalyst at 1 Hz, not sufficient for current, usable and refreshed info to be imported/shared from the cloud to be combined with the video. The Catalyst is all 10 Hz plus.

There are other devices that do this better (the VirB being one of them, but now out of production) but at some point, the hardware and software is capable of integrating a higher sample rate file export, and that may come about next year, but it is not a priority and I would NEVER suggest someone buy this with the expectation that this device would or might perform this function.

Watch my AIM webinar on the SmartyCam tomorrow for one of the best ways to do that.

I do think a simple review of the complete optimal lap, your best ACHIEVABLE and coupled best segments, as determined by the AI, is a killer tool. I’ve been doing this with Traqmate for more than fifteen years, and now soon with VBOX. If you can see what you did, you can more easily do it, and it does resolve what DID work, and what did not.

Its important to note that the purpose of the Catalyst is simplicity, which is why I am selling a LOT of these to MoTeC/AiM and even VBOX owners and users, but even more to
people on the fence about data in general, or seeking a more pro-active mode of feedback. The sector division is low on the totem pole and is important to keep it simple. It varies with opportunities, which is why it doesn’t match corner numbers.

In thIs day and age of social distancing, coupled with an increasing desire by solo drivers to move forward and break through periodic plateaus, this is just what the doctor ordered, in my opinion.

Last edited by ProCoach; 10-05-2020 at 09:04 AM.
Old 10-05-2020, 09:22 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Another dilemma that I have experienced is mounting the head unit in my car (2018 911 GT3), as there are a lot of variables to satisfy:
Did you find a way to mount this that you're happy with? I've got a 991.2 as well so this would be really useful to know. Any pics?
Old 10-05-2020, 09:44 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Again, if the device istelf is forward of a vertical plane at the top of the windshield, and the upper half of the device is above the dashboard cover and has a clear and unobstructed view of the horizon more than 150 degrees, you're good to go.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:57 PM
Erik Garci
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
Secondly... with respect to being able to output videos with overlays... it was mentioned that this is "in the works". Well... from what I'm reading here... that the video files are available and there are .FIT files available, then you guys might be happy to know that Garmin ALREADY HAS software for this. I use their VIRB Edit software to generate these overlays from my Garmin VIRB camera. Now... that doesn't mean you can just drop these files on it and it will work (though it might... I'll try it if someone wants to share some small ones) but it DOES mean that Garmin has everything they need already for this so applying it to this application should be pretty trivial for them. Same would be true if they could pull metrics from OBD2 like the VIRB camera already does.
It works for me. I copied the .MP4 video from the Catalyst's SD card and exported the .FIT file from my Connect account. Then I used the VIRB Edit software for Windows to import them and add overlays. To sync the video and data, the software lets you manually scan the video to find the first start/finish line.

The .FIT file includes data for speed, current lap time & number, last lap time, best lap time & number, total number of laps, track map, location & elevation, and course/heading. It has some limitations, such as no G forces, 1 Hz sampling, rounded lap times, and incorrect date and time.

Last edited by Erik Garci; 10-05-2020 at 01:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GT3_Driver (10-05-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 04:29 PM
rickster997
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Erik Garci
It works for me. I copied the .MP4 video from the Catalyst's SD card and exported the .FIT file from my Connect account. Then I used the VIRB Edit software for Windows to import them and add overlays. To sync the video and data, the software lets you manually scan the video to find the first start/finish line.

The .FIT file includes data for speed, current lap time & number, last lap time, best lap time & number, total number of laps, track map, location & elevation, and course/heading. It has some limitations, such as no G forces, 1 Hz sampling, rounded lap times, and incorrect date and time.
I could not find where to download a .FIT file? I can see a .csv file?
Old 10-05-2020, 04:59 PM
Erik Garci
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rickster997
I could not find where to download a .FIT file? I can see a .csv file?
1. Log into your account at connect.garmin.com using a web browser.
2. Click "Activities" in the left column to show the list.
3. Click the name of a single activity/session (typically the location name).
4. Click the small icon in the top right corner that looks like an 8-toothed gear.
5. Click "Export Original" in the menu to download a .ZIP file.
6. Extract the .FIT file from the .ZIP file.

Quick Reply: Garmin Automated Coaching