Sponsored by:

Garmin Automated Coaching

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 10:56 AM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
The catalyst will nudge you to try something slightly different instead of you trying to the same thing over and over 'better'.
Great review, your posts were always must read on the GT3/RS forum.

I was assuming the Catalyst analyzed the actual laps driven and the advice was based on what worked better in previous laps, but good to know the AI engine is extrapolating to suggest new lines, apex, turn in etc.
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (09-30-2020)
Old 09-30-2020, 11:06 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,064 Likes on 1,794 Posts

Originally Posted by tgibrit

I was assuming the Catalyst analyzed the actual laps driven and the advice was based on what worked better in previous laps, but good to know the AI engine is extrapolating to suggest new lines, apex, turn in etc.
Yes. And this is why it’s different from everything that has come before...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-30-2020, 11:23 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Fantastic and detailed review. Thanks for taking the time to do this!
Originally Posted by SToronto
Thanks for taking the time to write with such detail. I've followed your posts over in the GT3 section for years.

Looking forward to next season to give Catalyst a try.
No prob and you're welcome! I edited the video links in the post. For some reason the old links were causing the mobile version to crash.
Old 09-30-2020, 11:26 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,596 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Haha. I had the same problem. Connect the garmin via the micro USB port on the right side of the device to the computer
I did that and still did not find any screenshots on the SD card after taking some...
Old 09-30-2020, 11:27 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by docwyte
Because I like to be able to save it and share it with friends and get their input.
I also wonder for those of us who go back to the same track if the ability to reload previous sessions onto the Catalyst might be of value as a reference etc when returning to the track again...
The following users liked this post:
docwyte (10-01-2020)
Old 09-30-2020, 11:31 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I did that and still did not find any screenshots on the SD card after taking some...
Hey Larry, make sure you're connecting via the micro usb port on the right side of the device, not the charging base. Open up the internal storage drive, then pictures folder, then screen shot folder
Old 09-30-2020, 11:33 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Hey Larry, make sure you're connecting via the micro usb port on the right side of the device, not the charging base. Open up the internal storage drive, then pictures folder, then screen shot folder
gotcha thanks - I guess they are storing the screenshots in the nvram on the Catalyst and not storing those on either of the SD cards...

Old 09-30-2020, 12:45 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
gotcha thanks - I guess they are storing the screenshots in the nvram on the Catalyst and not storing those on either of the SD cards...
Yes, only thing on the mSD cards is video.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:22 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

I just encountered an issue with the Audio Level when I connect direct instead of Bluetooth. It only goes up to 66% level. I definitely need it to go higher. Is there a workaround for this limitation?
Old 09-30-2020, 01:58 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

well its not working for me on Mac - not mounting the internal storage...

OK installed Android File Transfer app for Mac and found them ... thanks!
Old 09-30-2020, 06:48 PM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

I just got my Catalyst that I was going to use with my rental track car for the CVR Glen event (engine needs a refresh on my spec cayman).

but when I unboxed the device the camera comes with a single-use adhesive. I thought people said this would be a great device for hopping between cars, or maybe I made that up. I don’t want to use the adhesive on track rental car, just to make it hard to remove and then not having a way to mount it correctly in my car. Any thoughts or experience here?

Old 09-30-2020, 06:51 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Difool
I just got my Catalyst that I was going to use with my rental track car for the CVR Glen event (engine needs a refresh on my spec cayman).

but when I unboxed the device the camera comes with a single-use adhesive. I thought people said this would be a great device for hopping between cars, or maybe I made that up. I don’t want to use the adhesive on track rental car, just to make it hard to remove and then not having a way to mount it correctly in my car. Any thoughts or experience here?
get @ProCoach to send you one of his excellent suction cup mounts ... much better than the adhesive one
Old 09-30-2020, 08:11 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Suction Cup Mount

Peter Krause has a suction cup mount, less than $15
Old 09-30-2020, 08:16 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Difool

There are two of those in every kit. So, you’re not SOL.

You can use tape from 3M to reuse them, but I like a suction cup Garmin sells for another dash cam that I put in my Catalyst “instructor kits.” $15 plus $8.30 usps priority mail.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:16 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=ProCoach]You can use tape from 3M to reuse them, but I like a suction cup Garmin sells for another dash cam that I put in my Catalyst “instructor kits.” $15 plus $8.30 usps priority mail.[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by ProCoach
There are two of those in every kit. So, you’re not SOL.

You can use tape from 3M to reuse them, but I like a suction cup Garmin sells for another dash cam that I put in my Catalyst “instructor kits.” $15 plus $8.30 usps priority mail.
its far better than the OEM mount IMO

Last edited by Larry Cable; 09-30-2020 at 08:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Garmin Automated Coaching