Sponsored by:

Garmin Automated Coaching

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 11:06 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
Lots of cool things coming out. At last weekends AER race everyone tried out the "Flagger" system. Real time flag info with GPS so you get local flags as well. I liked it a lot. Now if we could just mandate a system that tells the driver: YOU ARE BLOCKING. Knock it off or you get a black flag!
Needs a front and rear facing radar to say "no one is in front of you, that guy caught you, don't ^%$*& 'race' him!"
Old 09-21-2020, 11:12 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 940 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Yes, from the remnants of TM ashes comes something simple and that works well. Fancy that.
I think there are 4 systems that are being used in the US and the FIA has systems not seen here (or in existence!). Another spot where it will be interesting to see which systems end up taking hold and how they work out.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:13 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 940 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I had the Catalyst at Summit Point this weekend and kept it on my car for the practice session and qualifying. Here are my thoughts:

1. The large display should whether I was improving my laptime or not was awesome. Although my full AIM system does the same thing it was easy to keep on eye on this without it being distracted. In that regard I always go instant feedback on how I took a corner as I watched the time either go up or down.
2. I like that you can play video of your best segments to see where you did something correctly.
3. The ability to take the unit out of the car, like a video game, and just use it in the paddock is phenomenal.
4. Video quality is very good.
5. I ran two session with a bluetooth earpiece in and the unit doesn't say a lot. I'm actually thinking I would want it to be MORE intrusive in that regards.
6. The more simplified data for a left brain person like me if great. That being said, I honestly wish it had a "and let us explain it again in crayons" mode to really dumb it down. Something like "brake at the 3 instead of the 4 you coward!"

Overall I think it is a great unit and am happy I made the purchase. I hope they will retrofit a tether to the unit and come up with a better mount to allow for a permanent mount instead of just the suction cup. Lastly, I hope they tweak the AI and coaching just a little more to get the most out of it. That being said, it has been pretty amazing out of the box.
And did it help you go reduce lap times?
Old 09-21-2020, 11:25 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I hope they will retrofit a tether to the unit and

come up with a better mount to allow for a permanent mount instead of just the suction cup.

Lastly, I hope they tweak the AI and coaching just a little more to get the most out of it.

That being said, it has been pretty amazing out of the box.
I have a plastic clip on security clip coming in this week. Tether from Garmin is later.

I have sent for use in ClubSports and Cup cars a metal V-Mount base with a RAM 1” B-ball secured by a stainless steel band clamp for roll bar mounts, most put it on the right side downtube but need to remember to start it before they buckle in. The kit comes with a four bolt AMPS flat plate to mount to the dash or bracket, as a alternative to the suction cup mount.

on the voice coaching, YOU could benefit and find value in enabling the Advanced coaching option in the Settings menu.

Good to hear!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-21-2020, 11:53 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Needs a front and rear facing radar to say "no one is in front of you, that guy caught you, don't ^%$*& 'race' him!"
All kinds of possibilities there: "You are two laps down. Those are the leaders behind you having a race that you are not part of"
Old 09-21-2020, 12:04 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

I have sent for use in ClubSports and Cup cars a metal V-Mount base with a RAM 1” B-ball secured by a stainless steel band clamp for roll bar mounts, most put it on the right side downtube but need to remember to start it before they buckle in.

Good to hear!

I always forget at least one thing before taking off..,.... so how can I get it to autostart or who do I get a remote for it?
Old 09-21-2020, 12:40 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

No remote. When the unit is powered up, the first screen is a waiver!

Then, you select the track, the configuration of the track and after you hit "drive," then it is "armed," you buckle up and and it will start above a set trigger speed. I don't know what that speed is but I do know it's been lowered recently.

So there is auto record, you just need to hit "Drive" and it is ready to go. Most people are mounting these in the area of the upper center vents in the center console.

With the articulated mount included in ALL kits and the V-mount I included in your kit, you may be able to mount it on the top of the windshield bar, forward and down so the unit is above your vision but under the front glass for good GPS, and the camera mounted in front of the rear view mirror.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:39 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,118 Likes on 1,842 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
And did it help you go reduce lap times?
Absolutely. Once you put a few laps in the predictive feedback lets you know instantly whether you took a turn properly or poorly. That instant feedback let me try a bunch of different things such as playing with a lower gear in a few corners and figuring out if it was faster or slower. Turns out I had to overslow to drop the gear. It was a very good tool in that regards.

I have a plastic clip on security clip coming in this week. Tether from Garmin is later.

I have sent for use in ClubSports and Cup cars a metal V-Mount base with a RAM 1” B-ball secured by a stainless steel band clamp for roll bar mounts, most put it on the right side downtube but need to remember to start it before they buckle in. The kit comes with a four bolt AMPS flat plate to mount to the dash or bracket, as a alternative to the suction cup mount.

on the voice coaching, YOU could benefit and find value in enabling the Advanced coaching option in the Settings menu.

Good to hear!
Another RLster at Summit Point showed me the U shaped bracket he welded for his phone so he could use Harry's Lap Timer. The same design could be used for the Catalyst. You just have to leave room for the "block" that attaches onto the back of the unit.

I'm having a mount attached permanently on my Cayman between the two center vents where the hazard flasher goes. I'll show a picture when the work is complete by Speedsport Tuning.

Another item - you can't really use the touch screen with gloves. I have the OMP Evo One gloves and even though they have a rubber "pad" on the tip of each finger I could never really get the unit to respond with gloves on.

I forgot you told me about the advanced mode! I will try it next time.
The following 2 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
Martin S. (09-21-2020), ProCoach (09-21-2020)
Old 09-21-2020, 04:11 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

One issue I have encountered is with my Optimal Lap, it runs just fine thru Segments 1-7 then stops at the beginning of Segment 8. Some weird glitch.
Attached Images  
Old 09-21-2020, 05:49 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I’ll get you contact info for support. Only one session or more? That’s odd.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:53 PM
LagunaFanatic
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Having a similar issue and looked for you this past weekend, I was across the street slumming it at streets
Old 09-22-2020, 02:25 AM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

I’ll get you contact info for support. Only one session or more? That’s odd.
Peter, it occurred at least twice, different sessions on different days and different segments. The first day was third session segment 3, going into the omega (T4). The last day was the last two sessions as the optimal lap was the same for both sessions, it got stuck in the last segment, middle of turn 8.
The following users liked this post:
Martin S. (09-22-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 02:35 AM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Here's a comparison of last year to this year. Catalyst and coaching from Alex Filsinger (Vbox data comparison of a 1:24.9 lap he did in the dark!!) and Jae Lee of Mirage International as well as some tweaks to the suspension and the addition of a race seat. Screwed up T9 yesterday, lost .4 there alone. That being said, I'm very happy with a 3 second improvement and a class win both Saturday and Sunday with third overall Saturday and second overall Sunday.

BTW, I didn't run the Catalyst during the timed runs because I didn't want to be accused of cheating with in car coaching!

Last edited by SanDiegoDavid; 09-22-2020 at 02:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (09-22-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 03:54 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default Congrats to San Diego David

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
Peter, it occurred at least twice, different sessions on different days and different segments. The first day was third session segment 3, going into the omega (T4). The last day was the last two sessions as the optimal lap was the same for both sessions, it got stuck in the last segment, middle of turn 8.
I am certain that Peter has the resources to get to the bottom of this.

FWIW, SanDiegoDavid ran some exemplary times this past weekend at Willow Springs, achieving "a 3 second improvement (Over his former personal best) and a class win both Saturday and Sunday with third overall Saturday and second overall Sunday."Congratulations David; I only hope and dream that I will have a similar story someday, hopefully soon.

I plan to run Willow Springs on 10/10 and 10/11 with the Alfa Romeo Owners Club of Southern CA....I will report back on what I experience at Willow Springs...before going to the track I will download the latest software revisions.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:26 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
Here's a comparison of last year to this year. Catalyst and coaching from Alex Filsinger (Vbox data comparison of a 1:24.9)

That being said, I'm very happy with a 3 second improvement and a class win both Saturday and Sunday with third overall Saturday and second overall Sunday.

BTW, I didn't run the Catalyst during the timed runs because I didn't want to be accused of cheating with in car coaching!
Haha! That last line, coffee up my nose!

Congrats! THAT is some great validation.

I sent Alex a VBOX cable at the last minute, looking good.

Working on finding the best, most responsive conduit to report and have their team address these small hiccups.

In other systems that assemble complete theoretical best video (the simple assembly of all the best segments, regardless of the possibility of actually doing them), the playback can sometimes “hang” if ANY of the information parameters required to assemble the lap are not in place from one segment to another. Most common is a GPS or time clock hiccup.

The instances I’ve seen in this thread are the first two (albeit out of only a hundred and twenty user reports I’ve heard of), and certainly not the last, but I’m confident there will be an update that will address these and other bugs that become apparent in the real world after a year of testing.

The best part of all of this is that without exception, everyone who I have seen post first impressions or a complete weekend user report has improved their times, some substantially. Also, the ease of use and review.

Let’s face it. A majority of people that buy this driver optimization technology from me and others, including all the current and past offerings of AiM, MoTeC, VBOX, Race Technology, Race-Keeper, Apex Pro, AutoSport Labs, Cosworth and now the Garmin, are by and large experienced drivers. They are looking to improve, period.

They also are hungry for identification and validation that what they are NOW doing is optimal. But so often, they pound around, lap after lap, thinking they are doing something different but really just doing the same old thing. Even with the addition of pro coaching, sometimes.

I love these stories where people move their attention away from reviewing their data and video post session and instead focus on the here and NOW, IN the car, DURING the session. With the addition of a little well-vetted information, they try different things and voila! They improve...

That is what it’s all about. At least for all the drivers I know...

Quick Reply: Garmin Automated Coaching