Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garmin Automated Coaching

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2021, 11:50 AM
max pl
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Anyone know how to export the videos to Mac OS X? It doesn't come up as a device in Finder so maybe its not possible.
Old 06-13-2021, 12:29 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,079 Likes on 516 Posts

Originally Posted by max pl
Anyone know how to export the videos to Mac OS X? It doesn't come up as a device in Finder so maybe its not possible.
Just save / overlay to the microSD, insert into Mac, and it will show in finder. If you don’t have an SD slot on your Mac, grab something like this:
Amazon Amazon
Old 06-13-2021, 01:26 PM
vincenz0
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 74 Posts

I think the key is to remove the card from the device and then pop it into something like @jreifler linked to. I didn't have any luck getting my mac to recognize the Garmin when I tried to just connect the whole tablet via USB (I even used the Android File Transfer tool on my mac but it still didn't show up.)
Old 06-13-2021, 02:33 PM
max pl
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

ok thanks. I dont have a microSD so I guess I'll pick one up. would be nice to transfer straight from device as the device is all about convenience and simplicity in other aspects.
Old 06-13-2021, 02:42 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,079 Likes on 516 Posts

ok thanks. I dont have a microSD so I guess I'll pick one up. would be nice to transfer straight from device as the device is all about convenience and simplicity in other aspects.
You’ll run out of memory quickly on the device itself if you try to save all your overlay exports there. It’s not really meant for that. Grab 2 128GB SDs and carry them with you. Once you’ve uploaded, you just wipe them and repeat.
Old 06-13-2021, 08:51 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,315 Likes on 1,885 Posts

There's a microSD card where your Catalyst video is stored under the bottom cover of the device.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-19-2021, 08:47 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,378 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
@DoxCroc you have a PM. Garmin team needs some files. @orthojoe will hopefully send me a link to his, too.

We have their attention.
Any more update on this phenomena?
Old 06-19-2021, 09:15 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Not yet.
Old 06-20-2021, 07:18 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 80 Posts

Just back from the PCA Club Race at VIR and as I reported to Peter K. In the paddock, the craddle he sold me worked well and I did collect some data on Friday’s practice sessions.

I decided to take the unit out for the races because I found that it was distracting me with the +/- time counter. I found, much like on iRacing, I was overdriving the car trying to make up the time lost in prior corners. I figured it was one more distraction that could potentially cause me problems.

I’ll use the Catalyst next weekend in my stockcar while at Summit Point with NASA. Testing, coaching and working with students is where I hope to find value in this unit. Time will tell.

For those wondering, I use an AIM evo4S and a couple go-pro cameras for my data/video currently.
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (06-20-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 08:11 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Good to see you, Mike.
Old 06-22-2021, 12:36 AM
smq42
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I was wondering why the bottom cover felt a little loose and finally figured it out after reading your post. Thanks Peter!

Is there a max microSD card size that will work or can we get the 400GB or even 1TB sized cards?

What about the slot on the side that looks like it would fit a microSD card but the card seems to go in too far. . . ?
Old 06-22-2021, 09:27 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Lots of folks have installed larger cards than the single 32 GB that comes in the bottom SD card tray (which, like the SmartyCam and VBOX), is good for a little over seven hours of record time. Not my recommendation, but I understand why people do it.

I think 128 GB is the maximum I’ve heard that works, as long as the quality is high (think Sandisk).

The side slot takes precedence in the hierarchy of cards in the device. Purpose is for portable cards inserted for single runs or with specific drivers in ride and drives and schools. Jump in a car, put your card in and keep your data video. Or as a quick add on if the bottom card is full.

While diagnostic logs and other info are stored on the mSD, it’s primarily a repository for the two video files that are generated each run, whole session raw video with sound, optimal lap stitched together from best sectors with no sound. Now, it’s also where post session laps or sessions with the overlay are rendered to.

Have fun!

Last edited by ProCoach; 06-22-2021 at 09:28 AM.
smq42 (06-24-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 12:12 PM
sobiloff
Racer

Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I think 128 GB is the maximum I’ve heard that works, as long as the quality is high (think Sandisk).
I used a SanDisk Ultra PLUS 128GB microSDXC UHS-I card my last time out at Thunderhill. Everything worked fine at the track, but now that I'm home the Catalyst doesn't see the data any longer. I can still see the files from my session in the /Volumes/NO NAME/Android/data/com.garmin.racingcoach/files/RaceData/BLAKE/Thunderhill Raceway Park/PORSCHE GT4 2021/20210612 folder, though. I need to contact Garmin Support and see if there's a way to make the Catalyst see the files again.

I tried a SanDisk 256GB card previously, and it didn't work reliably at the track (stuttering, loss of audio). Looks like I'll be trying 64GB cards next…
smq42 (06-24-2021)
Old 06-25-2021, 12:00 AM
smq42
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Just got a 128 GB SanDisk microSD card and the Garmin recognized it and formatted appropriately. I now have 30+ hours of video storage available!
Old 06-25-2021, 10:25 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

While some, including someone I lent my demo to at the PCA Club Race and has broken 1:50 with information helpfully provided by the Catalyst, have had some troubles, I spent the last two days working with a lady driver who wanted to learn how to use hers better.

First, enabled “Advanced Voice Coaching” and she paired her AirPods. Then, we did a few things that I’ll write up and post up using the tremendous variety of display tools available on the device.

In the end, she’s been stuck at a specific time for several months of driving the track a couple days a month. She was doing different things, but achieving the same result.

On the second day, she SMASHED her PB by THREE seconds, and repeated the fast lap half a dozen times over two sessions. So, we know the improvements “stuck.”

We had MoTeC (factory supplied in this factory built Ford race car) and an AiM Track Day kit in the car also, but the gains were made with real-time coaching (coaxing?) and post-session study of the opportunities as well as detailed and specific video review.

I have to say, this is one of the best tools out there for people who want to get through a plateau.

It’s also the only one of the four major brands I carry who is able to ship inventory to me right now…
vincenz0 (06-26-2021)

Quick Reply: Garmin Automated Coaching