Sponsored by:

Garmin Automated Coaching

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2020, 12:01 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,611 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Jeff, there is a 32 GB mSD card under the lower panel of the back panel.

The display shows the amount of time left on the mSD card in time on the top left.

If you run endurance events, you can increase the size of the single card, add another 32 GB card to get to almost fifteen hours of video memory, or put bigger cards in both slots.

It does overwrite oldest, AFTER a certain period of time, AFAIK. I’ll check on that.

It saves for each session the complete raw video and audio, as well as the single stitched together optimal lap, no sound.
I stuck a 128gb sd card in the external slot 30hours of video....
Old 09-26-2020, 09:04 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,224 Likes on 1,854 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
No it's either or...
I stuck a 128gb sd card in the external slot 30hours of video....
Owners manual states side slot is “additional,” whatever that means. https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webh...4D3385FBB.html

Any card over 32 GB needs to be formatted for FAT32, which can be done on the device.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-26-2020, 11:51 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Owners manual states side slot is “additional,” whatever that means. https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webh...4D3385FBB.html

Any card over 32 GB needs to be formatted for FAT32, which can be done on the device.
When you insert a card into the external slot, when the device powers up a dialog appears that states it has discovered the additonal card and that video will be recorded to that.

I will check my catalyst later today to see if there is video from my sessions yesterday on one or the other, but I take it from the dialog that it was only going to record to the external card.

Old 09-26-2020, 12:15 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB
So the SD in the lower panel of the back panel is used first and then the slot one or is it selectable?
So I installed a 128Gb mSD card in the external slot, when the Catalyst boots it posts a dialog stating that it has detected the external card, and that video will be recorded to it.

While I have yet to check this by looking at both cards, I believe, based upon the dialog text, that it records to the external card preferentially.
Old 09-26-2020, 11:00 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

That’s why I added the caveat “whatever that means” to my observation.

This all stems from the ride-and-drive market for folks that want to take their info with them from car to car. Works well.
Old 09-27-2020, 03:38 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

That’s why I added the caveat “whatever that means” to my observation.

This all stems from the ride-and-drive market for folks that want to take their info with them from car to car. Works well.
Also it appears that the unit does not store any of the telemetry it gathers during sessions & laps on the SD card (it appears to hold it in its own internal NVmemory), and synching with Garmin Connect does not seem to upload any detailed telemetry only a summary...

room for additional features in the future I think!
Old 09-27-2020, 03:45 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Also it appears that the unit does not store any of the telemetry it gathers during sessions & laps on the SD card (it appears to hold it in its own internal NVmemory), and synching with Garmin Connect does not seem to upload any detailed telemetry only a summary...

room for additional features in the future I think!
This has been covered in earlier posts.

The actual data, sampled at 10 hz or better, accelerometers, speed, track position, sector analysis are all stored in the NV memory of the device. Only the raw video for the entire session with good sound, and the stitched together, complete optimal SINGLE lap video with no sound, are stored in individual session folders.

Garmin Connect cloud sync is all based on 1 hz sampling rate, more than adequate for fitness wearables and other devices, but not for this device. Garmin Connect does not currently support the more detailed logged information from the Catalyst.

This is why session data is not now easily exported. It remains to be seen what their solution will be, but as noted, the hardware and the software have significant headroom to grow. That's a good thing.
Old 09-27-2020, 03:53 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach;16931055[b
]This has been covered in earlier posts.[/b]

The actual data, sampled at 10 hz or better, accelerometers, speed, track position, sector analysis are all stored in the NV memory of the device. Only the raw video for the entire session with good sound, and the stitched together, complete optimal SINGLE lap video with no sound, are stored in individual session folders.

Garmin Connect cloud sync is all based on 1 hz sampling rate, more than adequate for fitness wearables and other devices, but not for this device. Garmin Connect does not currently support the more detailed logged information from the Catalyst.

This is why session data is not now easily exported. It remains to be seen what their solution will be, but as noted, the hardware and the software have significant headroom to grow. That's a good thing.
sorry!
Old 09-27-2020, 04:10 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Default mildly disappointed...

well I hate to say it but after my experience at Sonoma Raceway on Friday I was mildly disappointed in the Catalyst.

Clearly it has moved the needle on lowering the bar significantly on data driven coaching, but I personally did not find the information it presented to me in the "opportunities" or from the advanced race coach audio feedback particularly actionable.

Also some of the lines that the opportunities presented, particularly in T7 and T11 were "interesting" to say the least ... not what I expected, nor was prepared to attempt, particularly in T11 where any mistake upon exit could result in meeting some concrete ...

My main complaint, if it is such, is that the track schematics displaying "your" line and the "optimal" line are both too small, even when zoomed, and not readily translatable from the schematic to the actual track.

What would be much more useful (to me at least) but would require considerable processing, would be to overlay "your" line with the "optimal" line in the "optimal" (stitched) video, and to approximate the braking points, turn in, apex and exit ...

although just having the two lines overlaid on the video would probably be enough in order to illustrate those ...

As for the Advanced Race Coach, the occasional "apex earlier" and "keep pushing" remarks were really not of much if any actionable value whatsoever...

(BTW sounds like the same woman who voices many of the GPS nav systems - I was waiting for her to tell me to "prepare to turn right...")

While the unit indicated an optimal lap time approx 1sec faster, I really was not able to take the information provided and realize that ...

Just my $0.02 YMMV

p.s there was at least one other RLer at the track with a Catalyst who I believe had a similar experience to me particularly with the optimal T11 line ... LO GT3RS

Last edited by Larry Cable; 09-27-2020 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:27 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default Sad to read the above...

....in light of the other positive commenst I have read on this string and the Garmin Catalyst Users Group on FB. Regardless, I will still fire my unit up mid-month at Willow Springs. Consoling for me and others to know that there are no concrete walls to hit at Willow Springs....but an off-road excursion may have you cleaning your car for days....a major off-road excursion can be catastrophic.

Having driven Sonoma many times over the years, I fully agree on Turn 11, scary. As I do with any track I run, and I am certain most drivers do the same, I research the track, looking for recommended braking points, turn in, apex and run out markers. Watch videos, talk to my confessor.....

Racers 360 is a great resource https://racers360.com/education/sonoma-raceway-turn-11/

Last edited by Martin S.; 09-28-2020 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:45 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

well I hate to say it but after my experience at Sonoma Raceway on Friday I was mildly disappointed in the Catalyst.

Clearly it has moved the needle on lowering the bar significantly on data driven coaching, but I personally did not find the information it presented to me in the "opportunities" or from the advanced race coach audio feedback particularly actionable.
Fair enough. I think we're all still learning, as is the device.

Did you go faster? Or stay the same?
Old 09-27-2020, 07:56 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Fair enough. I think we're all still learning, as is the device.

Did you go faster? Or stay the same?
Actually I got slower, but I think that was due to my Cup 2's on the way out ...
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (09-27-2020)
Old 09-28-2020, 12:47 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 147 Posts

Also some of the lines that the opportunities presented, particularly in T7 and T11 were "interesting" to say the least ... not what I expected, nor was prepared to attempt, particularly in T11 where any mistake upon exit could result in meeting some concrete ...

My main complaint, if it is such, is that the track schematics displaying "your" line and the "optimal" line are both too small, even when zoomed, and not readily translatable from the schematic to the actual track.

What would be much more useful (to me at least) but would require considerable processing, would be to overlay "your" line with the "optimal" line in the "optimal" (stitched) video, and to approximate the braking points, turn in, apex and exit ...

although just having the two lines overlaid on the video would probably be enough in order to illustrate those ...

As for the Advanced Race Coach, the occasional "apex earlier" and "keep pushing" remarks were really not of much if any actionable value whatsoever...

(BTW sounds like the same woman who voices many of the GPS nav systems - I was waiting for her to tell me to "prepare to turn right...")

While the unit indicated an optimal lap time approx 1sec faster, I really was not able to take the information provided and realize that ...

Just my $0.02 YMMV

p.s there was at least one other RLer at the track with a Catalyst who I believe had a similar experience to me particularly with the optimal T11 line ... LO GT3RS
I would agree re the analysis windows being too small, there is lap compare feature which is nice idea but its not readily usable when they use such a small section of the screen. the text windwow is larger than the graphics. it did highlight a few things I need to work on, and overall I am happy with the device. I think Garmin have lot of opportunity to turn a good device into a great one.
Old 09-28-2020, 01:11 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tgibrit
I would agree re the analysis windows being too small, there is lap compare feature which is nice idea but its not readily usable when they use such a small section of the screen. the text windwow is larger than the graphics. it did highlight a few things I need to work on, and overall I am happy with the device. I think Garmin have lot of opportunity to turn a good device into a great one.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:30 PM
Need4Speedster
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by tgibrit
They had better provide free upgrades to the "beta' testers!

Quick Reply: Garmin Automated Coaching