Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Isudar Carplay for PCM 3.1

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2023, 04:27 PM
1977GTS
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by alex.qts
Just installed my board (v2) in 991 and very happy with the interface & audio quality out of the box with Bose is not too bad.

Cable routing was a bit of a nightmare but I found that pushing the large connector into the recess on the right hand side of the cage did the trick for me.

I have got a strange issue where the Carplay interface randomly cuts out and throws me back to the PCM Aux screen when driving. almost like it is loosing power or rebooting. I then have to hold info and re-connect the device. It has happened twice now.

Thinking I will try in wired carplay mode. Has anyone else experienced this?
Hi Alex, seems you have/ had the same issue as me, and hoping you, @Prince Li or other can advise how to fix it.

I've had two boards. The first board- (April 2023) kept randomly cutting turning off/ resetting when setting off slowly, or turning hard into bends. The PCM remained powered and returned to AUX screen, then the Isudar home screen returned 10-15 seconds later. So I thought it was down to a bad power connection to the Isudar board so spoke to @kimi and she supplied a new board.

Replaced everything with the new kit, and at first everything seemed ok. But then the same problem returned. PCM remains powered yet now I needed to do a hard reset holding the INFO button down - to reboot the systems for it to restart. After a five day/ 1500+mile road trip around Scotland this is what I've noticed:
  • It's not related to CarPlay - happens when I'm on the Isudar Home Screen
  • Generally the Isudar runs fine 90% of the time even on really really bumpy roads, hard breaking/ accelerating
  • Occasionally randomly resets when I reach 27mph very slowly, with smooth gear changes on smooth road.
  • Harsh cornering/ accerlation often induces a reset
Should add I can't induce the reset with the head unit out either, shaking it, playing with cable etcs. So I do wonder if its a conflict issue between the hardware - so turned off OEM Mic, AudioPilot, conscented sat nav. Still no difference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The unit is great (when it works), but when I need a unit I can rely on a 100% of the time.

TIA
The following users liked this post:
981BGTS (09-14-2023)
Old 06-21-2023, 06:00 AM
leedo3
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Data cables

Does anyone have the two data cables (the ones with the white connecors that plug into the board) they don't need? Or know their specifications and where they can be bought?
Old 06-21-2023, 11:16 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,662 Likes on 2,713 Posts

Originally Posted by leedo3
Does anyone have the two data cables (the ones with the white connecors that plug into the board) they don't need? Or know their specifications and where they can be bought?
Quite likely custom cables, did you reach out to Isudar for a replacement?
Old 06-21-2023, 01:14 PM
leedo3
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Not yet.
Thought I would try forum members who had broken / abandoned Isudar units first.
Old 06-21-2023, 03:34 PM
porty981
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1977GTS
Hi Alex, seems you have/ had the same issue as me, and hoping you, @Prince Li or other can advise how to fix it.

I've had two boards. The first board- (April 2023) kept randomly cutting turning off/ resetting when setting off slowly, or turning hard into bends. The PCM remained powered and returned to AUX screen, then the Isudar home screen returned 10-15 seconds later. So I thought it was down to a bad power connection to the Isudar board so spoke to @kimi and she supplied a new board.

Replaced everything with the new kit, and at first everything seemed ok. But then the same problem returned. PCM remains powered yet now I needed to do a hard reset holding the INFO button down - to reboot the systems for it to restart. After a five day/ 1500+mile road trip around Scotland this is what I've noticed:
  • It's not related to CarPlay - happens when I'm on the Isudar Home Screen
  • Generally the Isudar runs fine 90% of the time even on really really bumpy roads, hard breaking/ accelerating
  • Occasionally randomly resets when I reach 27mph very slowly, with smooth gear changes on smooth road.
  • Harsh cornering/ accerlation often induces a reset
Should add I can't induce the reset with the head unit out either, shaking it, playing with cable etcs. So I do wonder if its a conflict issue between the hardware - so turned off OEM Mic, AudioPilot, conscented sat nav. Still no difference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The unit is great (when it works), but when I need a unit I can rely on a 100% of the time.

TIA
I’m also having this exact same issue with the board I installed 2 weeks ago. Seems to mostly happen with hardship acceleration but doesn’t seem affected by bumps etc. I emailed @Kimiiii and they asked for a video of the issue which I sent last week but I haven’t heard anything back:

Do you have DAB? Wondering if it’s something to do with needing to have the board so close to the DVD drive to clear it?

Last edited by porty981; 06-21-2023 at 04:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
981BGTS (09-14-2023)
Old 06-21-2023, 05:24 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

@porty981 @1977GTS I would say that if any movement is in your description that happens just before the board or the PCM resets then I would hazard to guess that there is either a loose connection, flakey connector or a board grounding out in these installations. I would eliminate this before anything else. You mention hard acceleration, that sound like something is shifting then touching or pulling away from a connector, again I would go over the entire internal board installation and all internal and external connections.

Also FWIW I found the installation a little tight in some places, some cables had to be messaged into a shape to make the connection to a board then out through an opening in a chassis, these can cause problems after installation. Also, I found that as my PCM also has XM, that board was dangerously close to the bottom of the DVD drive and could short against the metal, I cut a piece of PPF film to cover this area as an insulator in the event of electrical contact.
Old 06-22-2023, 09:25 AM
Marcus13190
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 83 Posts

These white connectors is very breakable. When you connect them you need put a hose clamp.
Old 06-22-2023, 10:43 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marcus13190
These white connectors is very breakable. When you connect them you need put a hose clamp.
For those of us in North America, he is referring to cable ties, see his picture here: Isudar Carplay for PCM 3.1 - Page 81 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums
Old 06-22-2023, 10:50 AM
Marcus13190
Pro

Thanks. For you what's the name of this clamp ?
Old 06-22-2023, 11:52 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marcus13190
Thanks. For you what's the name of this clamp ?
Cable Ties, here is an example: Cable Ties, Tie Wraps, Reusable Zip Ties in Stock - ULINE.ca - Uline
Old 06-22-2023, 12:45 PM
Marcus13190
Pro

ok i see, thanks
Old 06-24-2023, 03:21 PM
porty981
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Took my PCM out, opened it up. Checked all connections. Put the electrical tape back over the bottom of the DVD drive in case shorting was the issue. Put it back in and checked all connections. Took an age to get it to fit back in. Went for a drive and on first hard acceleration it cut back to the AUX screen
Old 06-24-2023, 06:30 PM
squidge
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 45 Posts

Installed the latest Isudar v3 board, CarPlay stuff is working great, but I can't get the reverse camera to appear. Manual trans. No factory park assist or camera. Using a Voxx ACA801.

My camera has the red convenience wire + the red power wire connected to wire 3 (blue/black) in the taillight, which is the reverse power light. At the head unit, the red convenience wire is connected to the Isudar "Reverse" wire, which should be the trigger wire, and the video cable is connected to the rear camera input (yellow RCA plug). I've tried what feels like every permutation of Isudar's camera settings, as well as with/without parking brake engaged.

Any ideas? Or can someone with this working on a manual at least tell me what "Advanced Settings" they have configured so I can narrow down whether it's software or wiring?

Last edited by squidge; 06-24-2023 at 06:38 PM.
Old 06-24-2023, 06:34 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 71 Posts

Is yours stock or aftermarket rear view camera? Mine is stock, also a manual transmission, I've never gotten a it to switch to the reverse camera. I've sort of given up and just switch back to the normal PCM before reversing if I want the camera. Annoying for sure.
Old 06-24-2023, 06:43 PM
ottodawg
Rennlist Member

Received 319 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Tangerine
Is yours stock or aftermarket rear view camera? Mine is stock, also a manual transmission, I've never gotten a it to switch to the reverse camera. I've sort of given up and just switch back to the normal PCM before reversing if I want the camera. Annoying for sure.
That's strange, my factory cam works fine in AA. Take you've tried different camera settings?

Quick Reply: Isudar Carplay for PCM 3.1