Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Isudar Carplay for PCM 3.1

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2023, 06:53 PM
squidge
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Tangerine
Is yours stock or aftermarket rear view camera? Mine is stock, also a manual transmission, I've never gotten a it to switch to the reverse camera. I've sort of given up and just switch back to the normal PCM before reversing if I want the camera. Annoying for sure.
I stealth edited while you were posting probably -- but mine is aftermarket.

I'm following the process outlined below from 1:36 to about 3:00, which exactly matches my camera and the behavior I want, and is how I installed it.

That also aligns with the diagram for manual cars here: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1045...l#post16028795

Last edited by squidge; 06-24-2023 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-24-2023, 07:18 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ottodawg
That's strange, my factory cam works fine in AA. Take you've tried different camera settings?
I have. Yours is stock? Do you need to connect any extra wire for stock? Manual or PDK?
Old 06-25-2023, 12:26 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,662 Likes on 2,713 Posts

Originally Posted by ottodawg
That's strange, my factory cam works fine in AA. Take you've tried different camera settings?
I have. Yours is stock? Do you need to connect any extra wire for stock? Manual or PDK?
I too have the stock camera and made no changes to settings or wiring, it works as you would expect, shift to reverse and the image comes up, back to forward gears and the image is replaced by AA
Old 06-25-2023, 12:30 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by porty981
Took my PCM out, opened it up. Checked all connections. Put the electrical tape back over the bottom of the DVD drive in case shorting was the issue. Put it back in and checked all connections. Took an age to get it to fit back in. Went for a drive and on first hard acceleration it cut back to the AUX screen
OK, things inside are assumed good, what about outside, the connectors and cables that were swapped into the PCM harness?

Movement of a cable or connection due to acceleration certainly seems like something is loose.
The following users liked this post:
1977GTS (06-25-2023)
Old 06-25-2023, 12:34 PM
Marcus13190
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 83 Posts

It's a problem with wiring behind PCM. You extract your PCM and you place your wiring differently.
Old 06-25-2023, 12:50 PM
1977GTS
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah I have DAB (in the UK), but I bought correct size stand offs to clear the board. Also have BOSE too.

I'm on my second board and replaced all cables. Confident nothing is shorting.

Old 06-25-2023, 12:58 PM
1977GTS
Intermediate

Wink

Originally Posted by porty981
I’m also having this exact same issue with the board I installed 2 weeks ago. Seems to mostly happen with hardship acceleration but doesn’t seem affected by bumps etc. I emailed @Kimiiii and they asked for a video of the issue which I sent last week but I haven’t heard anything back:

https://youtu.be/iaDSNA3f5CQ

Do you have DAB? Wondering if it’s something to do with needing to have the board so close to the DVD drive to clear it?
I do have DAB (And Bose and bluetooth). I bought different stand offs, as the ones supplied were either too short/ long and I was worried about the ribbon cables. Mine fit perfectly. Spoken to @kimi and seems you, me and a few others are having the same problem. I'm on my second board and reinstalled all the new cables. The Isudar will work perfectly on the motorway for 6 hours (and VERY bumpy roads) but under sudden load - although it doesn't always turns off. Unlike yours I must hold down INFO for 10 seconds for the Isudar board to restart.

On the second install, I used zip ties too because worried about the power connectors. Still the same problem. Baffled. I wonder if its a voltage surge or something (I'm not technically savy when it comes to electrics though). @kimi is working with another person with a new board, and a potential fireware update. But seems recently lots more people are having the same problem - and we can't all be installing the board wrong. Suggests a fault with the hard/software.

Keep me posted if you have any success (I'll do the same too

Last edited by 1977GTS; 06-25-2023 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-25-2023, 01:09 PM
1977GTS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Westcoast
OK, things inside are assumed good, what about outside, the connectors and cables that were swapped into the PCM harness?

Movement of a cable or connection due to acceleration certainly seems like something is loose.
Hey Westcoast, thanks for the help. support. Yeah I thought it's got to be a power supply issue. The first board the power connector wasn't very tight, so when I replaced it, I thought this was a 100% the problem. However when I had the whole PCM out (connected to the car) shaking it, pulling on the wires - I could not replicate the issue. Hence I wonder if its a power surge causing the unit to trip, or a conflict with the software in the car.

Seems there are more and more people having this issue recently. Likewise it can happen when going slowly too - along a perfectly smooth road with no movement. Which suggests IMO a hard/software issue having stripped everything apart, replaced all boards and cables and still having the same problem. I've inspected all the connectors and board and can't see any signs of shorting/ wear.

See I'm running the same software and hardware as you. And my PCM is update with version 4.76.

Just can't think what it can be... other than a poor quality product.

Last edited by 1977GTS; 06-25-2023 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 06-25-2023, 02:42 PM
ottodawg
Rennlist Member

Received 319 Likes on 216 Posts

Yes, factory camera. It's a PDK, didn't have to connect anything extra..
Old 06-26-2023, 10:43 AM
porty981
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Kimi got back to me and they want me to send my kit back and they'll send a new one. Not filled with confidence that this will fix it as I know you're on your second one @1977GTS

I'm happy to remove it for the moment and return to using a phone in a mount as my wife is about to do her first solo (very long trip) in the Porsche and I can't have her maps etc being unreliable.

Last edited by porty981; 06-26-2023 at 10:45 AM.
Old 06-26-2023, 11:17 AM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 71 Posts

I too have the stock camera and made no changes to settings or wiring, it works as you would expect, shift to reverse and the image comes up, back to forward gears and the image is replaced by AA
Do you have a manual or PDK? I have a 2016 991.1 manial transmission.
Old 06-26-2023, 12:06 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Do you have a manual or PDK? I have a 2016 991.1 manial transmission.
2016 95B (Macan), PDK.
Old 06-26-2023, 12:11 PM
Marcus13190
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 83 Posts

i've used Isudar and now Mr12Volt and a OEM camera was ok.
Old 06-26-2023, 12:11 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1977GTS
Hey Westcoast, thanks for the help. support. Yeah I thought it's got to be a power supply issue. The first board the power connector wasn't very tight, so when I replaced it, I thought this was a 100% the problem. However when I had the whole PCM out (connected to the car) shaking it, pulling on the wires - I could not replicate the issue. Hence I wonder if its a power surge causing the unit to trip, or a conflict with the software in the car.

Seems there are more and more people having this issue recently. Likewise it can happen when going slowly too - along a perfectly smooth road with no movement. Which suggests IMO a hard/software issue having stripped everything apart, replaced all boards and cables and still having the same problem. I've inspected all the connectors and board and can't see any signs of shorting/ wear.

See I'm running the same software and hardware as you. And my PCM is update with version 4.76.

Just can't think what it can be... other than a poor quality product.
Not only is this annoying but it is truly disappointing, perhaps quality control issues, because as you just said same software and hardware, even our PCM's are at the same level.

1977GTS (06-26-2023)
Old 06-26-2023, 03:45 PM
porty981
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not only is this annoying but it is truly disappointing, perhaps quality control issues, because as you just said same software and hardware, even our PCM's are at the same level.

I had similar with pulling and shaking all the cables when it was connected in the car (but not back in the hole) and I couldn’t get it to cut out. So I’ve now removed it and put it back to stock for the moment. Taking out those antenna cables are such a pain in the **** that I’m not in any rush to try it again (The purple one in particular is a hateful thing). Hopefully the slow shipping back to China will give them enough time to come up with a new hardware revision or a new run of boards without this issue as I can’t face installing it again to have the same issue.
1977GTS (06-26-2023)

Quick Reply: Isudar Carplay for PCM 3.1