Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Isudar Carplay for PCM 3.1

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2023, 10:24 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 258 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Santirx
I went this way on mine…. I started with Joye, then moved to Isudar (helped solve a number of bugs with Kimi, you can find me in here very early on with the early adopters…☺️). Then moved to Mr12Volt because of audio quality. Mr12Volt uses direct connection to MOST25.

Then I started to experiment with Android units… of course I didn’t want to replace for an Android unit that would not increase screen size, so I tried two 12.3” Android units and ended up keeping the one in video below…. The whole story is in my YouTube channel in different videos. This is my installation video below. This one came with video instructions that the vendor send.

Installing another 12.3" Android Radio unit in my 2015 Porsche Macan...
https://youtu.be/TlRweL93Jjk

So, I have tried multiple solutions, and I’m really in love with this latest one as it completely modernizes the cabin and makes it look closer to Gen3 Macan with very good quality audio….

Now that looks really good in your Macan. I'd consider that for my Panamera if they did a suitable version. I think what makes it great is that you have expanded the screen real estate, much like they have in the later cars. So you have added more than just a replacement head unit but an enhanced head unit. It looks very OEM. And that is a really neat way of relocating the centre vents to make way for the wider screen! Very nice solution. I watched your YouTube videos too - you made a great job of the install.

Last edited by ZedZed; 08-04-2023 at 10:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Santirx (08-04-2023)
Old 08-04-2023, 10:45 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

OMG - they do a Panamera version of @Santirx 's unit! It doesn't have the *****, which is kind of a drawback for me coz I have the sports steering wheel which has no controls on it. I guess this will mean a 'virtual' volume contrrol slider on the screen, which I generally dislike. Maybe the lack of the ***** will save me a ton of money These units are way more expensive than the Isudar. But how cool do they look! Hmmm....

It's here for anyone who may be interested:

https://tinyurl.com/yc4yux65

Last edited by ZedZed; 08-04-2023 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-04-2023, 10:54 AM
Santirx
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Stark7x
That actually looks really nice. I like that it has the *****. Sadly, that's not available in 911, but love it in your car.
Good point. It doesn’t fit in my 718 either…☺️. Good luck! BTW… the ***** are not the ones the unit comes with, I purchased OEM ***** that required slight modification and installed them. It truly looks OEM in a Macan.
Old 08-04-2023, 11:35 PM
Live Steam
Racer

Received 352 Likes on 143 Posts

I just received a unit from Krando for my 991. The new version has two physical *****. One for volume and one to select functions. I'd post a pic, but I left it with the audio guy that's going to install it so he can make some plans on the install before he gets the car. I'll report back when it's done. Currently I'm using the Isudar board.
ZedZed (08-05-2023)
Old 08-05-2023, 03:06 PM
Stark7x
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Live Steam
I just received a unit from Krando for my 991. The new version has two physical *****. One for volume and one to select functions. I'd post a pic, but I left it with the audio guy that's going to install it so he can make some plans on the install before he gets the car. I'll report back when it's done. Currently I'm using the Isudar board.
Post some pictures, once you have it installed. I hope it's not the shiny bezel one.
ZedZed (08-05-2023)
Old 08-05-2023, 03:38 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Post some pictures, once you have it installed. I hope it's not the shiny bezel one.
I was out in my wife's Cayman (981) today and tried to imagine that unit installed in it. There is NO shiny black anywhere in that car, so a shiny black surround would really look out of place IMO. The PCM surround is a nice satin black sort of finish - if the aftermarket unit were in that finish, it would integrate nicely. My Panamera has piano black inside, so a shiny black unit would perhaps fit better with that.
Old 08-05-2023, 04:40 PM
Live Steam
Racer

It has a full glass lens/bezel like the PCM 4.1. No plastic. Will post pics once installed.
Old 08-05-2023, 05:11 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

It has a full glass lens/bezel like the PCM 4.1. No plastic. Will post pics once installed.
​​​​​​? My wife's Cayman's PCM has a matt/satin surround made of some sort of composite/plastic material. It's a darkish grey colour.

Like this :

Edit: Sorry - misread your post. PCM 4.1 you said. My bad.

Last edited by ZedZed; 08-05-2023 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-05-2023, 05:20 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Do you have a link to the unit you bought? Thanks.
Old 08-06-2023, 07:34 PM
Live Steam
Racer

Originally Posted by ZedZed
Do you have a link to the unit you bought? Thanks.
I purchased the unit linked, but during the ordering process I was contacted by Krando and informed they had newer model that incorporates two physical ***** - one for volume and one to make function selections. The unit I received has the ***** and a full glass bezel. No plastic surround. I dropped it off with the installer so he could go thru it to determine a plan for the install. It's the reason I can't post a pic. I have a 30 day window for returns. If it doesn't meet my needs it's going back.
Link
Old 08-06-2023, 08:07 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

I purchased the unit linked, but during the ordering process I was contacted by Krando and informed they had newer model that incorporates two physical ***** - one for volume and one to make function selections. The unit I received has the ***** and a full glass bezel. No plastic surround. I dropped it off with the installer so he could go thru it to determine a plan for the install. It's the reason I can't post a pic. I have a 30 day window for returns. If it doesn't meet my needs it's going back.
Link
Thanks for that. There's a similar version for the Panamera too. Very interesting.. I'll look forward to seeing how you get on. 👍
Old 08-06-2023, 11:36 PM
Live Steam
Racer

Originally Posted by ZedZed
Thanks for that. There's a similar version for the Panamera too. Very interesting.. I'll look forward to seeing how you get on. 👍
I've also been considering this. Link The thing I like about the new Krando unit is the new screen and higher resolution. I guess I'll see how this goes. It will be going back to China if I lose any car controls functionality.

Edit: Not sure why Porsche doesn't just release an updated unit for the .1 as they did for earlier models.
Old 08-07-2023, 08:21 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

I've also been considering this. Link The thing I like about the new Krando unit is the new screen and higher resolution. I guess I'll see how this goes. It will be going back to China if I lose any car controls functionality.

Edit: Not sure why Porsche doesn't just release an updated unit for the .1 as they did for earlier models.
The unit in the link above is similar to the Joyeauto unit I installed for a friend. It's good in the sense that it retains all OEM functionality, like the Isudar, but it requires a separate box to be installed and powered. I prefer the Isudar approach to that as it is a neater, more elegant solution and has the same functionality.

What intrigues me about the Krando unit is that it allegedly offers full functionality, so you don't lose access to PCM features (eg, interior light switch-off time, dipping door mirror etc). I saw a video where one of the menus was 'Car Features' and this showed the settings menus that are on the original PCM, including trip, average fuel etc. That would make the Krando a very intriguing prospect.

One thing which I am unsure of - later cars have the 'multi functional display' (MFD) which is the round screen on the right of the tacho and shows useful stuff such as oil pressure and temp, volts, water temp, range and so on. - not sure if your car has this or not. I find this to be an essential feature and would not want to lose it. I am wondering if this feature is lost when the PCM is replaced? Since the Krando seems to have the car functionality built-in, they may have been clever enough to transfer that data to the MDF, as the PCM obviously does.

If anyone has the Krando and the MFD, perhaps they could chime in here?

Still very much looking forward to you getting this install completed and reading your impressions (and seeing the photos!).
Old 08-07-2023, 02:24 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

These are some of the screens for the Krando unit that replicate the original PCM settings. If these can be viewed in the MDF, I think this unit has a lot going for it. It looks kinda OEM but a more modern interpretation, which is what Porsche are doing with the later cars. These photos are for the Cayenne version - the Panamera version is essentially the same. Photos grabbed from Krandor demo videos.

Old 08-07-2023, 04:34 PM
Stark7x
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Question about carplay connectivity. I have an iphone 14 max plus... whatever... the big one Latest iOS and all that. It seems carplay isn't connecting automatically for me. I see WiFi is connected to the board, but not bluetooth... if i go to the iOS carplay, says not connected... pair your phone, blah blah. I try connecting bluetooth and says: this phone can't connect to bluetoth, forget phone. So i have to go into the ISUDAR settings, remove remembered devices, then pair it via bluetooth again, then it works... until next time i restart the car or try to connect.

Am i doing something wrong here or is there a setting i forgot to do so it automatically connects and stops being a pain in my ***? Thanks!

Quick Reply: Isudar Carplay for PCM 3.1