Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Isudar Carplay for PCM 3.1

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2023, 12:44 PM
porty981
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Kimi has shipped me a new board so it would be really good to know if this firmware update fixes it. Don't really want to go through the hassle of installing it again if I'm just going to have the same result
Old 06-29-2023, 12:47 PM
1977GTS
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ha I was hoping you were going to be the guinea pig :-)

I'm about to go away, but will let you know when I get back in a few weeks. Have they applied the updated patch to your new board?

Apparently they've been trying to replicate the problem on several units with no joy, and think it is a hardware conflict issue.

Out of interest do you have DAB, Nav and Bose like me?
Old 06-29-2023, 01:06 PM
porty981
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 1977GTS
Ha I was hoping you were going to be the guinea pig :-)

I'm about to go away, but will let you know when I get back in a few weeks. Have they applied the updated patch to your new board?

Apparently they've been trying to replicate the problem on several units with no joy, and think it is a hardware conflict issue.

Out of interest do you have DAB, Nav and Bose like me?
Yeah, I have DAB, Nav, Bose and the phone/sim card
tray thing.
Old 06-29-2023, 01:09 PM
1977GTS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by porty981
Yeah, I have DAB, Nav, Bose and the phone/sim card
tray thing.
Identical then. I think it's some sort of conflict with these then, which is causing the glitch. Hopefully we can nail it. Because when the system works it's superb.
Old 07-05-2023, 01:10 PM
1977GTS
Intermediate

Kimi has shipped me a new board so it would be really good to know if this firmware update fixes it. Don't really want to go through the hassle of installing it again if I'm just going to have the same result
Hey buddy, been in talks with Kimi (think you have too), and the team have discovered the problem with our spec pcm. As I thought it was a voltage surge (which explains why the problem is more prominent in SportPlus). They’ve sent a firmware fix. I’ll try it when home (currently in France) and let you know the outcome.
Old 07-05-2023, 01:11 PM
porty981
Intermediate

Hey buddy, been in talks with Kimi (think you have too), and the team have discovered the problem with our spec pcm. As I thought it was a voltage surge (which explains why the problem is more prominent in SportPlus). They’ve sent a firmware fix. I’ll try it when home (currently in France) and let you know the outcome.
Excellent. My new board just arrived a couple
of hours ago so I'm eager to hear if this fix works. Now really wish I hadn't taken it all out!
Old 07-05-2023, 01:55 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,662 Likes on 2,713 Posts

SpoirtPlus, how, setting the voltage output for the system higher than the board was capable of handling?
Old 07-05-2023, 06:03 PM
markcov
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Kimi got back to me and they want me to send my kit back and they'll send a new one. Not filled with confidence that this will fix it as I know you're on your second one @1977GTS

I'm happy to remove it for the moment and return to using a phone in a mount as my wife is about to do her first solo (very long trip) in the Porsche and I can't have her maps etc being unreliable.
I sent mine back too. The AUX output on the board failed. When I pulled the board the input started working again, so I'm pretty confident it was something on the Isudar board that failed. They said it could be returned for either a refund or replacement. I said a refund would be fine.
Then they backpedaled and said it would be a replacement only. Oh well. It would have been nice to just rent it for 18 months.

I also upgraded my PCM 3.1 to v4.76 and the Aux BT started working for streaming music. It didn't used to work so that's part of the reason I wanted to add Android Auto. Now that PCM supports AUX BT streaming I really don't need the Isudar board. So even if they send me a new one I'm unlikely to install it.

I've got a 981 with Bose. The speakers would give a loud pop frequently when the PCM would reset (jukebox HD died). I think enough cycles of that killed the board. Or maybe it was just a coincidence.
I got a fast and frequent responses from the isudar support team on WhatsApp (+86 181 2701 4080). I wasn't getting any responses on requests for updated firmware at the kimi@isudar.com email.
Prior to pulling the board I was still having the issue with the phone staying connected for ~30min after parking the car.
Old 07-05-2023, 08:37 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by markcov
I sent mine back too. The AUX output on the board failed. When I pulled the board the input started working again, so I'm pretty confident it was something on the Isudar board that failed. They said it could be returned for either a refund or replacement. I said a refund would be fine.
Then they backpedaled and said it would be a replacement only. Oh well. It would have been nice to just rent it for 18 months.

I also upgraded my PCM 3.1 to v4.76 and the Aux BT started working for streaming music. It didn't used to work so that's part of the reason I wanted to add Android Auto. Now that PCM supports AUX BT streaming I really don't need the Isudar board. So even if they send me a new one I'm unlikely to install it.

I've got a 981 with Bose. The speakers would give a loud pop frequently when the PCM would reset (jukebox HD died). I think enough cycles of that killed the board. Or maybe it was just a coincidence.
I got a fast and frequent responses from the isudar support team on WhatsApp (+86 181 2701 4080). I wasn't getting any responses on requests for updated firmware at the kimi@isudar.com email.
Prior to pulling the board I was still having the issue with the phone staying connected for ~30min after parking the car.
I don't know that upgrading to v4.76 made AUX BT work it was simply enabled by that version? Pretty sure mine worked at the previous version as well.

Oh, and there is a firmware update to fix the prolonged connection issues as well.

FWIW, I bought the Isudar board to add AA/CP music from any source was never a problem.
Old 07-08-2023, 05:46 AM
1977GTS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Westcoast
SpoirtPlus, how, setting the voltage output for the system higher than the board was capable of handling?
I’m not sure but I know in sport/ sport plus the alternator voltage increases by about 1.5/ 2 volts. I’m no electrical expert, but Kimi and her team observed a voltage increase which they believe is forcing a hard reset. We’ll see…
Old 07-08-2023, 10:50 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I’m not sure but I know in sport/ sport plus the alternator voltage increases by about 1.5/ 2 volts. I’m no electrical expert, but Kimi and her team observed a voltage increase which they believe is forcing a hard reset. We’ll see…
Interesting, I guess the reason it doesn't affect me is that my Macan only has Sport, no SportPlus so the board doesn't get subjected to the higher voltage.
Old 07-09-2023, 06:07 AM
1977GTS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Interesting, I guess the reason it doesn't affect me is that my Macan only has Sport, no SportPlus so the board doesn't get subjected to the higher voltage.
Yeah, but also its due to the draw from the PCM with Nav and DAB (UK equivalent of Sirus). It's only these cars effected. A job for me this week. So we will see if it works... fingers crossed.
Old 07-14-2023, 12:53 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 217 Likes on 175 Posts

So it seems Kimi, was banned from here so she is not seeing anyone's messages. She has asked if anyone is experiencing the same problems @alex.qts or other to email her on this address: kimi@isudar.co.

It seems the problem is only affecting UK cars... which suggests a hardware/compatibility issue (or the Brits are simply cocking up the installs). I've a firmware update to try... fingers crossed.

Hope this helps.
I'm late to this thread, but I have read it all (sheesh!). I am in the UK and I have a 2015 Panamera. I fitted the Isudar board about a month ago, and it is, so far, performing flawlessly. I did initially have the 'blank screen' problem and had to re-make all the ribbon cable connections, which then fixed it, so a 'user error' there not an issue with the board itself. I just followed the instructions that came with the board, plus a couple of YT videos, although the latter were mostly for how to remove the Panamera vents (tip: get the proper tool off Ali - it makes life so much easier) and how to open up the PCM.

I am so pleased with this modification that I am about to order a second Isudar board for my wife's 981 Cayman.

I have the factory backup camera and this also works perfectly with the setting in the Isudar settings menu set to 'Original'. My wife's Cayman has an aftermarket camera, so it remains to be seen if this also works properly, once I have installed her Isudar board.

I have done no FW updates, and don't intend to since my Android Auto is performing flawlessly (so far). I would repeat the advice given elsewhere: DO NOT remove the ribbon cables from the display (front panel) and DO NOT remove the CD player ribbon cable. Neither of these need to be touched for an installation of the board, and every cable that is disturbed is another potential problem.

I would also second the members who have said to be very careful with the antennas when pushing the PCM back into its cage. They are easily trapped and ruined. In fact, be very careful when pushing the PCM back in, period. That was a terrific tip about using a long cable tie fastened to the 'bundle' of wires and then using it to gently pull the harness towards the back of the car. There's a decent amount of room behind the Panamera dash/fascia if only you can get the bundle into it. I am not looking forward to doing the Cayman install, where there is less space.

Oh yes, final tip - after installation, everything worked perfectly except for when I tried a phone call, I could hear the other side, but they could not hear me. Disabling the PCM bluetooth resolved that. I suspect that the call was trying to use both the PCM and the Isudar board at the same time when PCM BT was enabled. I have no use for the PCM being connected to BT now I have this board and Android Auto, so this is no loss to me personally.

EDIT to add:

I also made sure that my PCM was on the latest FW before adding the Isudar, which it was. IDK if this matters, but it seems possible, and if Isudar are testing with one version of PCM FW and users are installing with another, that could cause issues, maybe? There are so many variables. My car has DAB, Nav etc but I only have Sport Mode and not Sport Plus. IDK if that makes any difference but I am not experiencing any problems under hard acceleration. I also fitted a brand new battery not long before I installed the Isudar board. Modern cars seem to need a good battery for them to function well (so many electronics?) and maybe this is an issue for some who have experienced problems with the Isudar install. Other than what I reported above, I have not experienced any issues at all - my phone disconnects when I leave and lock the car, my AA connects perfectly if I turn off the engine, remove the key, go buy a coffee and come back 5 minutes later. I'd stress that I bought my Isudar board only 4 weeks or so ago, so maybe Isudar have finally fixed most of the issues? Here's hoping.

This is my 'info' screen:

Last edited by ZedZed; 07-15-2023 at 07:23 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ZedZed:
1977GTS (07-17-2023), clipper (08-09-2023)
Old 07-14-2023, 02:14 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 217 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by leedo3
The Isudar unit sounds like a winner. Does anyone have any experience with the unit using an Android phone and Android Auto?
Also, will these units still provide full functionality when Android Auto goes away with the next operating system update?
Thanks.
If you can install Android Auto on your phone, then it ought to work with the Isudar board.

I am using a Samsung Galaxy S20 with no problems apparent. Android version 13 installed. Android Auto version is 9.8.632424. I wonder if members having problems has anything to do with the version of Android or Android Auto they are using? There are just so many variables.

EDIT to add:

I think I misunderstood your question. Android Auto no longer runs as a standalone app on your phone - it has been replaced by Google Driving Mode, which is their version for people using their phones as their main nav/entertainment setup. But Android Auto can be installed on the phone, but now only runs on vehicle head units. As such, the Isudar board works with your PCM display, as before.

Last edited by ZedZed; 07-15-2023 at 06:47 AM.
Old 07-17-2023, 05:44 PM
1977GTS
Intermediate

Interesting. Yeah identical to mine.

So to check, your PCM has:
Bose
Nav
Bluetooth and Sim tray
DAB

Seems some people who have all the above in the UK have issues. Mines also V4.76 and battery is perfect. I've finally done my update and testing the new Isudar firmware.

Quick Reply: Isudar Carplay for PCM 3.1