Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Isudar Carplay for PCM 3.1

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2022, 04:59 PM
TWalk
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello all, I now have a serious issue with my iSudar. As with most users here I also was having the re-connecting issue. I contacted Kimi, and we did the process (Pic of about screen, order number). I received a mcu upgrade file. I followed the procedure to specification and upon uploading, my PCM made an internal shutdown noise (can't really explain the sound) and everything shut down (off). Then after approximately 5 seconds music began playing from the PCM XM Radio source. The PCM screen is blank (off) and there is no PCM control (no volume, no source function, no CarPlay interface...ect) all I have is the one XM Radio station playing. I pulled the PCM fuse (thinking it would reboot the system) and waited a few seconds (45-60) then re-inserted. Instantly, the PCM started playing the XM channel ( car was off, although key fob was around my neck - entry and drive) PCM still had/has no functionality. I am currently letting it sit for over 30 minutes in hopes that maybe that will re-boot the system, but Im pretty confident that it won't, cause that's what pulling the fuse should of accomplished. Also, after approximately 10 Minutes of the car being shut off music will start playing on its own. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated .
And yes, I have also contacted Kimi.

Last edited by TWalk; 01-20-2022 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-20-2022, 05:06 PM
Willy07
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Hoping that the 30 minute power down cycle fixes that for you, it does in a lot of cases. It's like a master reboot if you will.

I also received an MCU file from @Kimi, steering wheel fix.....but my system will not recognize it...says "No Data can be played" update button is not selectable " or highlighted with red rectangle. I have applied MCU successfully in the past, the volume one for instance.
SOP updates are still recognized, like 1124 on usb, I checked that.....just not MCU....anyone else ? My USB is formatted to FAT 32...tried numerous......
I have the OLD board 1.2 @firmware 1124

Last edited by Willy07; 01-20-2022 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-20-2022, 08:21 PM
TWalk
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well 30 mins turned into 90 minutes with the PCM (51) fuse out with no success. Waiting for time difference for a response from Kimi. Then I will take everything apart to stock configuration and see if I can get my PCM back.
@Willy07 I would say to navigate to the CarPlay settings/information/about screen, but you've already done updates before, so sorry I can't help you with that.
Old 01-21-2022, 07:41 AM
AngelDutchy
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My wifi connection stays online and not only for 30 min. I've installed a wifi analyzer and my wifi is online most of the time. Sometimes i don't see it, but most of the times it's visible in the surrounding wifi networks. This is probably eating my battery when i m not driving for a couple of days. This made after 20hours shut down.

Old 01-21-2022, 08:35 AM
jojo1977
8th Gear

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Willy07
I loaded this update to an empty FAT32 USB stick. MCUUPDATE.bin only for the steering wheel control fix. The board does not recognize the file....and the screen says "No data can be played" this is not a usb stick or user error.......I have upgraded this board before. This file is not compatible with my 1.2 OLD board at 1124.
As an experiment.......I loaded 1124 to the stick....and low and behold the upgrade button becomes selectable. I did not proceed as I am already on 1124. I have emailed @kimi

Anyone else having this issue ?

Yep, same for me. I sent an email to Kimi to see what's the solution

Old 01-21-2022, 09:25 AM
coffeeisgood
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

So I have read thru this thread
in summary for this CarPlay option
- Isudar hardware and platform / features is promising vs others (Joyeauto, NMautomotive, etc.)
- Isudar hardware $$$ price point is nicer / cheaper than the competition. (but there is 2 hardware options? & why do some units ship from China, others from Poland? a bit confusing)
- Isudar has a few serious bugs to work out in their firmware & delivery. (WiFi on the unit staying on after you turn off your auto is not a feature!)
- Isudar support response is not acceptable at the present time. (this should be less > 48 hours)

I have not pulled the trigger yet on doing this mod, as it seems best to wait a bit & see how this plays out
as once you get your Isudar unit, you really only 15 days to install it and figure sort out any issues. You really want to know what your getting into before cracking open your PCM...

I believe there might be more pain with Isudar before this gets better but I am hoping for the best

Last edited by coffeeisgood; 01-21-2022 at 09:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
zuffen99 (01-23-2022)
Old 01-21-2022, 10:13 AM
Porshatt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by coffeeisgood
So I have read thru this thread
in summary for this CarPlay option
- Isudar hardware and platform / features is promising vs others (Joyeauto, NMautomotive, etc.)
- Isudar hardware $$$ price point is nicer / cheaper than the competition. (but there is 2 hardware options? & why do some units ship from China, others from Poland? a bit confusing)
- Isudar has a few serious bugs to work out in their firmware & delivery. (WiFi on the unit staying on after you turn off your auto is not a feature!)
- Isudar support response is not acceptable at the present time. (this should be less > 48 hours)

I have not pulled the trigger yet on doing this mod, as it seems best to wait a bit & see how this plays out
as once you get your Isudar unit, you really only 15 days to install it and figure sort out any issues. You really want to know what your getting into before cracking open your PCM...

I believe there might be more pain with Isudar before this gets better but I am hoping for the best
I think you summarized it accurately. Wait for the bugs to be sorted out. I a, hopeful since all of these bugs are software related, can be fixed, such as turning off Wifi when PCM is off

Last edited by Porshatt; 01-21-2022 at 11:38 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Porshatt:
AngelDutchy (01-21-2022), RR911 (01-21-2022)
Old 01-21-2022, 11:01 AM
Santirx
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by AngelDutchy
My wifi connection stays online and not only for 30 min. I've installed a wifi analyzer and my wifi is online most of the time. Sometimes i don't see it, but most of the times it's visible in the surrounding wifi networks. This is probably eating my battery when i m not driving for a couple of days. This made after 20hours shut down.
This is very interesting information. Doesn't Isudar board draw its power from the PCM itself? It would be good to understand that, but very likely because when you pull the PCM fuse, the board power recycles as well. Then, if it draws its power from the PCM then the question becomes, how could it stay ON beyond the time PCM stays ON/standby? This is difficult to understand, unless the PCM itself is staying ON in a standby mode for more than 30 minutes. In your case, 20 hours. If this is the case, then one can conclude that the issue can be attributed to the PCM staying ON/Standby for long periods (this could be an abnormal behavior on the PCM), with now the added Isudar board also drawing power?

I agree that it would be good to find a solution for this issue, so that the board turns off quicker.

I had the board installed for many months now (since Jun 2021 if I remember correctly - I purchased it very quickly after release) and I have not experienced battery drain issues.

Last edited by Santirx; 01-21-2022 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-21-2022, 11:22 AM
AngelDutchy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Santirx
This is very interesting information. Doesn't Isudar board draw its power from the PCM itself? It would be good to understand that, but very likely because when you pull the PCM fuse, the board power recycles as well. Then, if it draws its power from the PCM then the question becomes, how could it stay ON beyond the time PCM stays ON/standby? This is difficult to understand, unless the PCM itself is staying ON in a standby mode for more than 30 minutes. In your case, 20 hours. If this is the case, then one can conclude that the issue can be attributed to the PCM staying ON/Standby for long periods (this could be an abnormal behavior on the PCM), with now the added Isudar board also drawing power?

I agree that it would be good to find a solution for this issue, so that the board turns off quicker.

I had the board installed for many months now (since Jun 2021 if I remember correctly - I purchased it very quickly after release) and I have not experienced battery drain issues.
Sometimes i don't drive for a couple of days, maybe that is the problem. Because 1 day it will survive, but a couple of days are to much. Never had a battery problem before the install of the Isudar board.
I have also send an email to Kimi about this. Hopefully it is a software bug.
Old 01-21-2022, 11:27 AM
Willy07
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by jojo1977
Yep, same for me. I sent an email to Kimi to see what's the solution
@jojo1977 Thanks for adding....still waiting here as well......
Old 01-21-2022, 11:44 AM
Porshatt
Advanced

Doesn't Isudar board draw its power from the PCM itself?
Just because it is on the same fuse doesn't mean that Isudar is getting power from the PCM. Isudar board is connected via two cables directly to the harness, not to the PCM.
Old 01-21-2022, 11:48 AM
Santirx
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Porshatt
Just because it is on the same fuse doesn't mean that Isudar is getting power from the PCM. Isudar board is connected via two cables directly to the harness, not to the PCM.
@Porshatt , this is why I followed that statement with “it would be good to understand that”.

You may be correct.

And the whole premise of the subsequent arguments are based on Isudar board getting its power from the PCM, which I think I clearly established.

If the Isudar board doesn’t get power from PCM, then, Isudar board is the culprit.

More investigation required.

Last edited by Santirx; 01-21-2022 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-21-2022, 12:10 PM
Porshatt
Advanced

@Porshatt , this is why I followed that statement with “it would be good to understand that”.

You may be correct.

And the whole premise of the subsequent arguments are based on Isudar board getting its power from the PCM, which I think I clearly established.

If the Isudar board doesn’t get power from PCM, then, Isudar board is the culprit.

More investigation required.
Lets hope the firmware fix will be released soon. I have also asked Kimii to take this issue to engineers.

The following 2 users liked this post by Porshatt:
AngelDutchy (01-21-2022), Santirx (01-21-2022)
Old 01-21-2022, 04:09 PM
VRShader
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

I am having some issue with the aftermarket reverse camera connected to the carplay box. It works great the first time I used it after then install (it even has the steering input guides), but the next time I power up the car, it will just show black screen and won't come back. I had to pull the PCM fuse and re-insert it to bring it back alive. But again, after I park the car overnight, it shows black screen again... Kinda frustrating as installing a backup camera in a boxster isn't the easiest thing to do...

I think I have the 1.2 board and 1124 firmware with MCU that fixes volume (not back button).
Old 01-21-2022, 04:49 PM
AngelDutchy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JohsonChou
I am having some issue with the aftermarket reverse camera connected to the carplay box. It works great the first time I used it after then install (it even has the steering input guides), but the next time I power up the car, it will just show black screen and won't come back. I had to pull the PCM fuse and re-insert it to bring it back alive. But again, after I park the car overnight, it shows black screen again... Kinda frustrating as installing a backup camera in a boxster isn't the easiest thing to do...

I think I have the 1.2 board and 1124 firmware with MCU that fixes volume (not back button).
Try holding down the volume button while inserting the key and starting the car, only then my PCM won't show a black screen and then starts up immediately.

Last edited by AngelDutchy; 01-21-2022 at 04:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Isudar Carplay for PCM 3.1