Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Isudar Carplay for PCM 3.1

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2022, 05:29 AM
Metzeger
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

In the Isudar we need to connect the external micro for Siri or it work with the OEM micro? and the OEM usb work in the glove box or need to install Isudar USB? Thanks
Old 09-27-2022, 11:23 AM
Santirx
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Metzeger
In the Isudar we need to connect the external micro for Siri or it work with the OEM micro? and the OEM usb work in the glove box or need to install Isudar USB? Thanks
1. It works with OEM micro
2. You need the Isudar USB

Old 09-27-2022, 11:31 AM
Metzeger
Pro

Originally Posted by Santirx
1. It works with OEM micro
2. You need the Isudar USB
Many thanks
Old 09-29-2022, 03:38 PM
Metzeger
Pro

Hi everybody i install today the Isudar more easy than the Joyeauto ! i have just a problem when carplay run i have not the rear camera i select the ON on the menu for OEM rear camera but not work. You have a solution? Thanks
Old 09-29-2022, 04:24 PM
Santirx
Racer

Originally Posted by Metzeger
Hi everybody i install today the Isudar more easy than the Joyeauto ! i have just a problem when carplay run i have not the rear camera i select the ON on the menu for OEM rear camera but not work. You have a solution? Thanks
Are you putting the car in reverse with the e-brake on? If that is the case, the camera won’t work with e-brake on (with or without Isudar). Release the e-brake and see if it works.

The following users liked this post:
Willy07 (09-29-2022)
Old 09-29-2022, 04:27 PM
Metzeger
Pro

Are you putting the car in reverse with the e-brake on? If that is the case, the camera won’t work with e-brake on (with or without Isudar). Release the e-brake and see if it works.
Yes i release e brake it work in PCM (i see rear camera with guidlines... not when i use carplay
Need to reset PCM?
Old 09-29-2022, 05:21 PM
bullyx2
AutoX

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I posed this question a few months back but got no replies. I know it's a longshot but wanted to try again. I installed the Isudar system into my 2014 Boxster S back in March/April. I first want to say that, other than the issue I’m about to describe, the unit works really well. It’s rare, but I do get problems connecting after a short stop or messing around in the garage before starting the car. Really infrequent though and not enough be much of a bother. I’m typically a skeptic but, given the complexity, I’m actually impressed by how well it does work for such a relatively inexpensive part.

Here’s my issue though. I initially had an issue with the ribbon cable to the CD/DVD portion not being seated properly which removed USB and Jukebox as sources. There was a CD in the drive and I could choose CD but nothing would happen. I opened it all back up and reseated the cable connecting the CD/DVD drive. That got me the missing sources back and also allowed me to play the CD that was in the drive. However, I cannot eject the CD. I assumed that maybe the cable still wasn’t seated and figured I’d check it when I opened it back up to install a rear camera. Well, I’ve since done that and confirmed that all cables seem to be connected properly. Again, everything including the new camera and playing the CD works great. Just can’t eject it.

To be clear, it feels to me more like an electronic issue than a mechanical one. When I hit eject, it’s as if the button isn’t connected as literally nothing happens. No sounds from it trying to eject, if I’m listening to the CD, it never pauses like it’s trying to do something. Because the Isudar board installs between the screen/controls and the motherboard, the next step in my mind is to remove the Isudar board and put it all back to stock temporarily. Theoretically, this would either confirm it’s the board if everything goes back to normal OR eliminate the board as the issue if it stays the same. That being said, it’s starting to get cold up here and thought I’d ask again if anyone has seen this and has any ideas before disassembling everything again.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-29-2022, 05:25 PM
Willy07
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

What can happen here is that...when you put the pcm back together...the ribbons get squashed......and physically block the CD SLOT. Get a flash light and shine it through the front......see ribbon on one side ? that is the issue. Happened to me.
Old 09-30-2022, 09:29 PM
ElSpoon958
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Isudar, by a long shot. My opinion comes from my own experience, having started with Joye and then moving to Isudar.

Joye Auto is more complex to install, with external box. The Joye DSP is not as good as Isudar. The response is more sluggish and slow. Isudar had solved many of the bugs it used to have…

Since, I moved Mr12Volt, that also has an external box (similar to Joye) but it does have digital audio quality with native MOST25 support.
You're a great person to ask this question to then. I'm somewhat of an audiophile. I appreciate quality audio. I know there's better sounding setups than my factory Bose stuff, but I wouldn't want anything to sound worse than what I currently have. When I got the GTA Car Kit to work (one time), it wasn't the best sounding. Comparable to the Joye crap like all the others.

So, how was/is the audio quality with the Mr12v system? And how does it function as far as the backup camera etc and some of the issues others have been having with the Isudar kit?
Old 10-01-2022, 06:59 AM
Santirx
Racer

Originally Posted by ElSpoon958
You're a great person to ask this question to then. I'm somewhat of an audiophile. I appreciate quality audio. I know there's better sounding setups than my factory Bose stuff, but I wouldn't want anything to sound worse than what I currently have. When I got the GTA Car Kit to work (one time), it wasn't the best sounding. Comparable to the Joye crap like all the others.

So, how was/is the audio quality with the Mr12v system? And how does it function as far as the backup camera etc and some of the issues others have been having with the Isudar kit?
Mr12Volt will not make your system sound any worst than it currently is. It could slightly improve the tuning, though…

You can actually do an experiment right now. If you go ahead and plug your audio device to AUX right now, that’s about the quality you can expect from Isudar. Then, connect the audio device to the iPod source, and that’s about the quality you can expect from Mr12Volt. Advantage is that with Mr12volt there is no Digital to Analog… then Digital conversion. Which as you know (as an audiophile) degrades the signal and data is lost. Mr12Volt preserves digital signal end to end.

The limitation becomes the quality of your amplifier and the quality of your speakers. But all things being equal, by keeping source the highest quality possible, you’ll have significant gains.

The reason I say you can actually improve the output, is because Mr12volt gives you an equalizer that you can customize. You can adjust frequency, amplitude and the Q-Value, meaning you have infinite amount of tuning parameters in the equalizer (vs the Bass and Treble of the PCM). Isudar offers a limited number of parameters.

When I had Isudar, to keep audio quality, I bypassed the Isudar DAC and DSP by connecting audio directly to PCM (digital) and then only sending wireless CarPlay image to the screen. I would lose certain features doing that. But I could not stand the sound quality going through AUX (Isudar DAC and DSP). I also spent a lot of money and time upgrading my audio system (full aftermarket upgrade) and was not willing to ruin the whole thing at the source.

Is all explained here, in a review I made (I compare the 3 systems):

Mr12Volt Carplay REVIEW - PCM3.1 - Porsche Macan 2015

I even made an installation video, here:

Mr12Volt Carplay Module Installation - PCM3.1 - Porsche Macan 2015

You can also look at this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...-pcm3-1-a.html

PS: the only issue reported so far with Mr12volt is a recurrent random popping and clicking. Is not a huge issue but is there. This had been escalated to Mr12volt and they are currently working on a solution. So, if you are thinking about buying, I’d recommend you wait until they fix this. I hear solution is imminent.

Last edited by Santirx; 10-01-2022 at 07:09 AM.
DogWood (10-14-2022)
Old 10-01-2022, 10:11 AM
Willy07
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

I cant wait for MR12V to get fixed....so I can switch away from iSudar. I am done with iSudar lack of support....and mostly transparency!!
I was told I was on most recent version for the 1.2 board (0107) but no.....I have come across another more recent flash, and was able to apply it. Of course no change log......
This lack of update management is archaic.
Old 10-10-2022, 05:30 PM
zamoralesh
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How were you able to bypass the Isudar DAC and DSP? Do you have some picutres? What features did you lose? I hate the AUX sound quality, it sounded way better through PCM.

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2022, 01:55 AM
original_meatwad
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

@Santirx Thank you for your contributions and video. I'm just now kicking a new-to-me 2011 958 S with overland navi into shape and find the lack of audio quality and connectivity disturbing. My 2011 Mini Cooper was better and that car is rUUbbish. I'm a music producer and require instant BT connectivity and lowest possible distortion. The PCM 3.1 navi BT is buggy, muddled, and horrid for the amount of $ thrown at its development. Moving on, I've my eye on the mr12v box and was about to message the company about:

Rear camera upgrades
Clicks and pops* If those artifacts appear, I'm sat for HOURS sorting it
BT connection time
mics - I see you've addressed this

I've not read this entire thread, but can't be bothered if it's all about Isudar. Have you time to offer your opinion on the above?

THANKSssssssss!
Old 10-14-2022, 03:40 PM
Santirx
Racer

Originally Posted by original_meatwad
@Santirx Thank you for your contributions and video. I'm just now kicking a new-to-me 2011 958 S with overland navi into shape and find the lack of audio quality and connectivity disturbing. My 2011 Mini Cooper was better and that car is rUUbbish. I'm a music producer and require instant BT connectivity and lowest possible distortion. The PCM 3.1 navi BT is buggy, muddled, and horrid for the amount of $ thrown at its development. Moving on, I've my eye on the mr12v box and was about to message the company about:

Rear camera upgrades
Clicks and pops* If those artifacts appear, I'm sat for HOURS sorting it
BT connection time
mics - I see you've addressed this

I've not read this entire thread, but can't be bothered if it's all about Isudar. Have you time to offer your opinion on the above?

THANKSssssssss!
The issues you are experiencing are a function of multiple factors on how Porsche decided to implement the audio solution. Yes, the PCM platform (3.1 and 4.0 generations which are the ones I have in my Macan and 718 respectively) are not well polished. PCM 4.0 is a bit more polished as it runs MOST150, as opposed to MOST25 in my PCM3.1.

But another significant factor is the amplifier and drivers. The amplifier is not that bad, considering it’s form-factor, but could be better. The worst issue you are facing is the quality of some of the speakers in your system (especially if you have Bose). The 3” drivers are the worst quality you could find I any audio system. They do not reproduce quality sound and distort. That was the first driver I took out from my Macan and Cayman. They are replaced. The tweeters are not far behind.

Quality of sound, if you are using PCM3.1 digital (through iPod input or AUXBT) should improve significantly if you chance 3” drivers and tweeters. Subwoofer should follow.

The 4” Bose midrange drivers are decent, as well as the midwoofers. Those one can live with.

The problem with Isudar is that it compounds the audio quality issue because it uses AUX input which is completely analog. So you are converting digital audio from your phone to analog though a questionable Digital to Analog Converter (DAC) and then back to digital.

I was looking for a CarPlay alternative that would not degrade audio quality and preserve the digital audio, and found Mr12volt offering this solution.

But, if you keep some of the speakers you have in your system, you may not see substantial benefit.

If you connect to iPod right now, and you don’t like it, you are not going to like it with a solution like Mr12volt. The problem is beyond that. One of the reasons I did a full aftermarket audio upgrade in my Macan.

Now, in my Cayman with PCM4.0, since it only have one 3” driver and the bad tweeters, I did a quick replacement of those with high quality speakers and the sound is great. PCM4.0 has native CarPlay.

On your other questions, clicks and pops are still there for Mr12volt, they released a firmware update that appears to have quiet them down, but still there. They assure me they are working on a final solution on this and they may be close. I suggest you wait this out until solved.

BT connection was very good, but is now even better with latest FW update.

I can’t comment about rear view camera as this functionality is native in my PCM3.1 and I didn’t have to do anything for it to work.

Yes, I addressed use of OEM mic. Mr12volt said they would work on this with future versions, but don’t know when.

I do want to say that there are quirks and issues with my PCM4.0 native CarPlay implementation. It doesn’t work with my steering wheel controls (while Mr12volt have some functionality with steering wheel controls). There are connectivity issues as well from time to time. We also have a BMW X2 with native CarPlay with a lot of connectivity issues….

What I’m trying to say is that no CarPlay solution, even those with native support, are perfect. Quirks are to be found. So in that sense, both Isudar and Mr12volt have done a really good job at the integration part.
original_meatwad (10-14-2022)
Old 10-14-2022, 08:22 PM
original_meatwad
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for your efforts! We are lost, it seems. I've owned so many cars with better OEM sound than this, but none of them drive like this and carry my band equipment over Poland at speed. The distortion of the base 958 system is palpable and I've mind to gut the thing and start from scratch over the holidays. Just sold a 2005 L322 with better sound (once I'd hacked in an AUX :P) that I loved, but always wanted to put on a 1000lb diet. Hence, the 958. At any rate, I'll revisit monsieur les douze voltes when I have the time to replace speakers and hopefully he'll have fumigated a few bugs.

Quick Reply: Isudar Carplay for PCM 3.1