Macan 2014-Current

Mr12Volt CarPlay/AA system for PCM3.1

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2022, 08:47 PM
Santirx
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Mr12Volt CarPlay/AA system for PCM3.1

Opening this thread to post my experience with the retrofit of Mr12Volt CarPlay system for PCM3. I have previously installed Joye, then Isudar/Ebilaen. This would be my 3rd change. The reason I did this change is because Mr12Volt uses MOST25 natively to route signal, keeping the digital signal from source to output. Other systems use AUX input, with digital to analog conversion, hence degrading audio signal...

This video in the link is part 1 of 2, installation. In part # 2, I'll talk about the features of the mr12volt system and compare them with Joye and Isudar/Ebilaen.

LINK:

The following 5 users liked this post by Santirx:
Jasonbourne8642 (11-22-2023), Mike981S (03-24-2024), mikewire (06-26-2022), T3X4S (07-14-2022), TheStrategist (06-20-2022)
Old 06-21-2022, 08:45 AM
Michael911K
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the the introduction to this interesting device! I have Isudar installed and think about MR12Volt because of the audio, as you did! I see 3 video cinch connectors in the harness. How many cameras can be installed beside the rear view? Kind regards ... Michael from Hamburg, Germany
Old 06-21-2022, 05:13 PM
Santirx
Racer

Originally Posted by Michael911K
Thanks for the the introduction to this interesting device! I have Isudar installed and think about MR12Volt because of the audio, as you did! I see 3 video cinch connectors in the harness. How many cameras can be installed beside the rear view? Kind regards ... Michael from Hamburg, Germany
I’m not sure. I didn’t pay attention to that because I don’t have aftermarket camera. In my case, it goes to PCM camera when I put the car gear in reverse.

You can ask at info@mr12v.com

They are usually very good at responding to questions.
Old 06-24-2022, 07:22 AM
konkab
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

Nice stuff! How do you switch to CarPlay from PCM? We need a video of the features When you select TV source, is there a Sound option to enable Surround sound?

One issue I noticed from the video is bit depth of the color. After you connect to CarPlay, the blurred background looks grainy, like it was on Joyeauto. But maybe this is just a video compression issue on YouTube.

Also, I believe you can utilize factory microphone by repining some of the wires, similar to how its done in Isudar's case.

Last edited by konkab; 06-24-2022 at 07:32 AM.
Old 06-24-2022, 08:52 AM
Santirx
Racer

Originally Posted by konkab
Nice stuff! How do you switch to CarPlay from PCM? We need a video of the features When you select TV source, is there a Sound option to enable Surround sound?

One issue I noticed from the video is bit depth of the color. After you connect to CarPlay, the blurred background looks grainy, like it was on Joyeauto. But maybe this is just a video compression issue on YouTube.

Also, I believe you can utilize factory microphone by repining some of the wires, similar to how its done in Isudar's case.
Hey @konkab, great to hear from you…

Working on that features video. Most likely publish today…. The new TV option appears and once you select you don’t have to select anything else to hear audio. No surround option that I have seen. Video is better than Isudar in my opinion. I’ll try to take a good photo and publish here. It would be great if we can figure out microphone repining… I asked the Mr12volt guys about it.

Last edited by Santirx; 06-24-2022 at 08:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
konkab (06-24-2022)
Old 06-24-2022, 10:37 AM
konkab
Advanced

Can't wait to see the video!

A good photo of the screen would be also interesting to see. When in CarPlay mode does it feel smoother (60 FPS) than Isudar's?

Also, you could probably use power input coming to PCM instead of wiring it to the fusebox.
Old 06-24-2022, 10:45 AM
Santirx
Racer

Originally Posted by konkab
Can't wait to see the video!

A good photo of the screen would be also interesting to see. When in CarPlay mode does it feel smoother (60 FPS) than Isudar's?

Also, you could probably use power input coming to PCM instead of wiring it to the fusebox.
Power is not coming from fuse box. I just removed the PCM fuse before removing the PCM, then installed fuse back when finished. But it is powered through PCM, not directly from fuse box.
Old 06-25-2022, 04:40 AM
Michael911K
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Santirx
I’m not sure. I didn’t pay attention to that because I don’t have aftermarket camera. In my case, it goes to PCM camera when I put the car gear in reverse.

You can ask at info@mr12v.com

They are usually very good at responding to questions.
no response so far… Isudar was much quicker and helpfull. Wonder why they dont have a manual either. They seem to rely on you!😉
Old 06-25-2022, 09:38 AM
Santirx
Racer

Review Video:

Mr12Volt Carplay REVIEW - PCM3.1 - Porsche Macan 2015

I show many of the features and quirks of the Mr12volt system, as well as my comparison with Isudar and Joye.
The following 5 users liked this post by Santirx:
bb964 (06-26-2022), ElSpoon958 (10-01-2022), Mike981S (03-24-2024), Notmac1 (07-10-2022), T3X4S (07-14-2022)
Old 06-26-2022, 06:32 AM
i96danma
AutoX

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Review Video:

Mr12Volt Carplay REVIEW - PCM3.1 - Porsche Macan 2015
https://youtu.be/hX_cBdIeiyo

I show many of the features and quirks of the Mr12volt system, as well as my comparison with Isudar and Joye.
Thank you for an interesting video.
I'm looking for a wireless Android Auto addition to my Cayman and Mr 12 Volt send to be a good option, especially since I have the Bose option. A question regarding Isudar: they have a new and improved version that is said to minimize interference by incorporating some components. Did you have that newer version or the older? Do you have an opinion on whether that would help with the sound quality issues?
Old 06-26-2022, 08:52 AM
Santirx
Racer

Originally Posted by i96danma
Thank you for an interesting video.
I'm looking for a wireless Android Auto addition to my Cayman and Mr 12 Volt send to be a good option, especially since I have the Bose option. A question regarding Isudar: they have a new and improved version that is said to minimize interference by incorporating some components. Did you have that newer version or the older? Do you have an opinion on whether that would help with the sound quality issues?
I had version 1.2 of the board. Version 2 improved DSP. Now they have come up with version 3.

My point is, regardless of what they do, they are trying to improve a signal that is degraded because they have to convert it to analog. The quality is always going to be limited by that. Is like trying to clean up grease with water… it will clean up a little, but grease is always there.

The audio is always going to be better by using MOST25 directly. And Isudar doesn’t have that capability. Until they do that, audio is not going to be as good as Mr12volt.

But, you also have to consider the rest of your system. Your speakers and amplifier also play a significant role in quality, and Bose is not well known for quality.

You can do an experiment right now… connect your device through AUX and hear your favorite song… then connect through iPod input and hear the same song. Switch back and forth a couple of times. If you can’t hear any difference, most likely you’ll be ok with Isudar. But if you can hear a quality difference, then is a matter of, does it bother you. If it does, go with Mr12volt. If it doesn’t, stay with Isudar.

mr12volt performance is going to be similar to iPod input of PCM, while Isudar performance is going to be similar to AUX input of PCM.

In my case, I noticed a significant difference, even when I had not upgraded my audio system (when I still had Bose)…

Good luck!
i96danma (08-18-2023)
Old 06-27-2022, 09:46 AM
Santirx
Racer

I received a response from Mr12volt regarding 3 issues I raised.

1. Mr12Volt splash screen: there is no way to remove the splash screen, but there is apparently a way to replace the mr12volt logo by a different image…. They are going to send me instructions and files required. The Porsche Logo is already as a splash screen in boot up process… I’ll probably replace the Mr12volt splash screen with this…

2. The Mr12volt icon will take more time, but they said they will work to provide alternatives. I’m going to have to stay tuned on that one.

3. The use of factory microphone they said is their next big improvement with the P3000. So, I’m assuming that for me, it will require that I buythat new system and install when available. I’ll probably wait a few years before doing something like that.
Old 06-27-2022, 11:50 PM
bb964
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 192 Posts

Thanks for the update Santirx! - great info!
Old 07-02-2022, 08:16 PM
Santirx
Racer

Today, I was able to tap into the factory microphone wires in the quad connector with a 3.5mm cable and successfully use the factory microphone to talk to CarPlay…

I closely examined the Isudar harness and found that they tap into mic 1+ and ground connector of the quad harness.

Tapped into mic 1+ and connected to left channel of cable, mic 1 - and connected to right channel of cable, and mic shield which I connected to cable ground. I decided to use both +/- connections because Isudar has a mono connection, but Mr12volt has a stereo connection.

Below photos of temporary connection while testing…

After successful testing, I made permanent connections. I removed pins from the Mr12volt provided quad harness from the connector that connects to the OEM connector.

Removed pins and soldered the cable wires at the pin crimp location and reintroduced the pin back to connector. For ease of access, I removed the connector from quad adapter…

This photo shows cable wires inserted alongside pins…

After inserting pins, I secured cable with tape, which in turn secure wires in place.

The 3.5mm plug connects to the blue box, replacing the external microphone. Results were as expected. I can use factory mic now to communicate to CarPlay…. Tested it while driving as well, and it works well.

Afterwards, I removed the provided ugly microphone, and now it does look more OEM.

After I’m able to remove the Mr12volt splash screen and the icon, it will be as close to OEM as you can make it. Very happy with outcome today…

Last edited by Santirx; 07-02-2022 at 08:20 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Santirx:
bb964 (07-02-2022), bradnic (08-22-2022), gdclnfn (06-20-2023), konkab (07-03-2022), Noah Fect (07-19-2022), RhinoComp (03-02-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-03-2022, 03:28 AM
konkab
Advanced

Today, I was able to tap into the factory microphone wires in the quad connector with a 3.5mm cable and successfully use the factory microphone to talk to CarPlay…

I closely examined the Isudar harness and found that they tap into mic 1+ and ground connector of the quad harness.

Tapped into mic 1+ and connected to left channel of cable, mic 1 - and connected to right channel of cable, and mic shield which I connected to cable ground. I decided to use both +/- connections because Isudar has a mono connection, but Mr12volt has a stereo connection.

Below photos of temporary connection while testing…

After successful testing, I made permanent connections. I removed pins from the Mr12volt provided quad harness from the connector that connects to the OEM connector.

Removed pins and soldered the cable wires at the pin crimp location and reintroduced the pin back to connector. For ease of access, I removed the connector from quad adapter…

This photo shows cable wires inserted alongside pins…

After inserting pins, I secured cable with tape, which in turn secure wires in place.

The 3.5mm plug connects to the blue box, replacing the external microphone. Results were as expected. I can use factory mic now to communicate to CarPlay…. Tested it while driving as well, and it works well.

Afterwards, I removed the provided ugly microphone, and now it does look more OEM.

After I’m able to remove the Mr12volt splash screen and the icon, it will be as close to OEM as you can make it. Very happy with outcome today…
That is exactly what I meant. Great job!
Santirx (07-03-2022)

Quick Reply: Mr12Volt CarPlay/AA system for PCM3.1