Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Isudar Carplay for PCM 3.1

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2023, 11:05 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,662 Likes on 2,713 Posts

@Marcus13190 thanks for the introduction to MR12Volt and @Santirx for sharing the installation video's. I will have to check them out when I have time. Always nice to know the other options available, so thanks for weighing in.

So far the Isudar board has been working well for myself and others, it is easy to install and there are no wires to splice or extra modules to find homes for which makes it very user friendly. Additionally it has been working error free for me since installation...

Here is a link for those interested: Mr12Volt Car Interface Just to note it is about double what I paid for the Isudar solution.

Last edited by Westcoast; 04-14-2023 at 11:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BrianMJ (04-14-2023)
Old 04-14-2023, 12:30 PM
BrianMJ
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi all,
I bought an Isudar Apple CarPlay kit and asked a costume shop to install it. During the installation, the repair shop said my "radio is dead and doesn't power on anymore." They told me the radio turned on for 3 seconds after installation and, during testing, was stuck on the Porsche logo, but it powered down with a popping sound and didn't power on again.
They sent it to a certified radio repair shop (United Radios), and the repair shop said the Isudar kit had caused this (below photo is a screenshot of their report). They changed the power IC and charged me ~$600, and I think I still need to pay more for enabling codes (probably ~$700 more ), etc.
I connected with Isudar (Kimi), and they do not take any responsibility, saying that their module would not cause this.
I wanted to know if anyone here has a similar experience, who you think is responsible, and what you would suggest I do.
I'm desperate for help here.
Thanks!

Old 04-14-2023, 12:41 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BrianMJ
Hi all,
I bought an Isudar Apple CarPlay kit and asked a costume shop to install it. During the installation, the repair shop said my "radio is dead and doesn't power on anymore." They told me the radio turned on for 3 seconds after installation and, during testing, was stuck on the Porsche logo, but it powered down with a popping sound and didn't power on again.
They sent it to a certified radio repair shop (United Radios), and the repair shop said the Isudar kit had caused this (below photo is a screenshot of their report). They changed the power IC and charged me ~$600, and I think I still need to pay more for enabling codes (probably ~$700 more ), etc.
I connected with Isudar (Kimi), and they do not take any responsibility, saying that their module would not cause this.
I wanted to know if anyone here has a similar experience, who you think is responsible, and what you would suggest I do.
I'm desperate for help here.
Thanks!
This is truly a bummer that this happened, what about the shop that installed it, no assistance from them?

Anything like this is 'at your own risk', I am not defending Isudar, but they have many boards out there installed and working fine mine included.

Opening up the PCM and changing/connecting/modifying anything is solely the risk of the person undertaking it. I think that your best hope is that you can get either a replacement from Isudar or a refund.
BrianMJ (04-14-2023)
Old 04-14-2023, 01:10 PM
BrianMJ
8th Gear

It's an absolute headache.
The costume shop says, based on the radio repair shop report, they are not responsible. However, they sent my radio for the repair themselves, so I have difficulty trusting them.
Honestly, I wouldn't dare to install Isudar's kit again and I asked them for a refund. I also don't want Apple CarPlay anymore (just a working PCM would be fine).
Do you know any other person that had his/her PCM burnt after installing the Isudar module?
Thanks!

Old 04-14-2023, 01:26 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The costume shop says, based on the radio repair shop report, they are not responsible. However, they sent my radio for the repair themselves, so I have difficulty trusting them.
Honestly, I wouldn't dare to install Isudar's kit again and I asked them for a refund. I also don't want Apple CarPlay anymore (just a working PCM would be fine).
Do you know any other person that had his/her PCM burnt after installing the Isudar module?
Thanks!
Fingers crossed that you can get a refund back from Isudar, that will ease the financial sting a little. Too bad about phone connectivity and PCM 3.1, Porsche was certainly behind the times on this unit.

It seems that @Marcus13190 may have had a failure. However, it wouldn't be fair to Isudar to blame their board if the actual installation was at fault.
BrianMJ (04-14-2023)
Old 04-14-2023, 03:09 PM
BrianMJ
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Fingers crossed that you can get a refund back from Isudar, that will ease the financial sting a little. Too bad about phone connectivity and PCM 3.1, Porsche was certainly behind the times on this unit.

It seems that @Marcus13190 may have had a failure. However, it wouldn't be fair to Isudar to blame their board if the actual installation was at fault.
Fingers crossed! I need to find out what exactly has happened. It would be interesting to know others' stories and what can cause such a thing.
Porsche def was way behind its time with PCM.
Thanks, man!
Old 04-18-2023, 03:26 AM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by MrLArgo
Is my unit using the latest firmware (see pic)? Also, have they addressed/fixed wireless staying live for 30 mins after car shut down? This is my only gripe...
I also have this question. Only installed it yesterday so still messing with it. I have the OEM backup camera, so far it doesn't seem to automatically switch when I go in reverse but I'll play around with the settings again. Also it seems when I return to the car after a while, it starts up with the normal UI and I have to hold the Info button a few seconds to switch over to Android Auto? Using wireless AA, haven't even tried wired yet.

The first time I tested it I didn't have any output to the screen. Turns out I just didn't have the big power connector locked in correctly. Remember it should be flush if it's correctly installed, make sure the lever thing is all the way out at like a 45 degree angle before inserting.
Old 04-18-2023, 12:26 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MrLArgo
Is my unit using the latest firmware (see pic)? Also, have they addressed/fixed wireless staying live for 30 mins after car shut down? This is my only gripe... Thanks!
Originally Posted by Tangerine
I also have this question. Only installed it yesterday so still messing with it. I have the OEM backup camera, so far it doesn't seem to automatically switch when I go in reverse but I'll play around with the settings again. Also it seems when I return to the car after a while, it starts up with the normal UI and I have to hold the Info button a few seconds to switch over to Android Auto? Using wireless AA, haven't even tried wired yet.

The first time I tested it I didn't have any output to the screen. Turns out I just didn't have the big power connector locked in correctly. Remember it should be flush if it's correctly installed, make sure the lever thing is all the way out at like a 45 degree angle before inserting.
I am at the same firmware version as MrLargo, I too experience where the wireless stays active long after the vehicle is removed, in fact even if the door of the Macan gets opened the Isudar WiFi tries to link up with my phone if I am nearby...

I asked Kimi about this and she promised to get back after checking with her engineers, and told me not to install any firmware that didn't come directly from them (I told her I had a newer version I got from another user), nothing so far... Maybe I have send another email?
Old 04-18-2023, 05:34 PM
ottodawg
Rennlist Member

Received 319 Likes on 216 Posts

I have the OEM backup camera, so far it doesn't seem to automatically switch when I go in reverse but I'll play around with the settings
@Tangerine I had this problem and realized the rear camera won't come up if the parking brake is on, drove me nuts. This is on a 991.1.
Old 04-18-2023, 05:51 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Originally Posted by ottodawg
@Tangerine I had this problem and realized the rear camera won't come up if the parking brake is on, drove me nuts. This is on a 991.1.
Oh, interesting. Manual or DSG?
Old 04-18-2023, 05:59 PM
ottodawg
Rennlist Member

Received 319 Likes on 216 Posts

Oh, interesting. Manual or DSG?
PDK (auto).
Old 04-18-2023, 07:04 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Originally Posted by ottodawg
PDK (auto).
Yes sorry mixing up my transmission acronyms. In the manual the reverse camera only comes on when the car is moving backwards, which could be because you're in reverse but it can be any gear if you're simply rolling back due to gravity. (This is the factory behavior to clarify)
Old 04-22-2023, 02:51 PM
NY997
7th Gear

Default ISUDAR Board - PCM 3.0

Thanks!
I had the same issue with an ISUDAR board installed second week April 2023 in a 2011 911. After methodical installation, checking that each ribbon and connector was seated correctly, turned ignition on, PCM worked a few moments and then went dark. The unit was very hot - the PCM seemed to get no power, blank dark screen. There was red and blue LEDs still blinking on the ISUDAR board so I know it was getting power. I was frustrated and concerned the PCM unit was bricked, but with nothing to loose except more time at this point, I went through trial and error / process of elimination removing and reseating cables/ribbons, I was able to get the PCM to work by not connecting the CD player ribbon. I was able to recreate the issue by reconnecting the CD ribbon and the unit went dark. I was never able to get to the ISUDAR graphical user interface to work via hitting the "info" button on PCM. Current state is the PCM works but CD unit, or circuity providing power to CD is fried. I emailed Kimi for a replacement board / refund, they disregarded that request, and said to flash the board firmware, and sent a link to a firmware upgrade file, not reading or understanding I cannot get to the ISUDAR GUI to initiate a firmware upgrade . I again have requested a refund hoping to cut my losses. I suspect they have a bad batch of boards or cabling in the March / April 2023 timeframe and not an installation issue.

Last edited by NY997; 04-22-2023 at 03:26 PM.
gdclnfn (06-02-2023)
Old 04-22-2023, 02:56 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

@NY997 Sorry to hear about these problems, I would be curious about the details of the firmware file they sent?
Old 04-22-2023, 03:10 PM
NY997
7th Gear

Here is the response from "Kimi":
Hi!

Thanks for your waiting.

Pls download the upgrade FW from: https://we.tl/t-CgL6XMlSlW

PCM upgrade method:
1. Copy the upgrade file (see the below picture) to an empty SD card ( Noted : Must be 2.0 SD card and which memory should not be larger than 6GB). The file must be copied correctly, otherwise the upgrade will not be successful.
2. In Settings - Version Information - Click Upgrade (the system will recognize the file content).
3. After clicking upgrade, the screen will be black, and it will take about 15 minutes to wait. Please be patient and wait for the device to restart.
4. Be careful not to power off during the upgrade process!

Quick Reply: Isudar Carplay for PCM 3.1