Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Isudar Carplay for PCM 3.1

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2022, 07:26 PM
systemr
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by denabs
That makes 3 of us that have connection problems. I’m trying to troubleshoot with @Kimiiii but no luck so far. I’ve had a firmware downgrade with no results. The connection issues are the following : either a connection is made with apple CarPlay (I can see a small CarPlay icon in the top right corner) but I have to physically touch the IOS button and it works, I leave the car for a short while and when I come back and again I have to touch the IOS connection but now the icon does not work it appears to be frozen and I have to restart the system. Besides this the screen freezes randomly eg when using Google maps. It seems the software is missing a stable connection solution.
I have the same problem, whats the button combination to restart the isudar board? I think it was on the instructions but i've tossed those now
Old 05-18-2022, 05:12 PM
MC1979
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by denabs
That makes 3 of us that have connection problems. I’m trying to troubleshoot with @Kimiiii but no luck so far. I’ve had a firmware downgrade with no results. The connection issues are the following : either a connection is made with apple CarPlay (I can see a small CarPlay icon in the top right corner) but I have to physically touch the IOS button and it works, I leave the car for a short while and when I come back and again I have to touch the IOS connection but now the icon does not work it appears to be frozen and I have to restart the system. Besides this the screen freezes randomly eg when using Google maps. It seems the software is missing a stable connection solution.
My other issue is when I am speaking with someone, everyone complains there is an annoying echo. This does not happen in my Audi through CarPlay. The only way I can fix this is to reconnect Bluetooth and dial out using the car’s built in phone button.

I haven’t reached out to Isudar yet but I plan on it this week. Not too happy with the little issues.
Old 05-24-2022, 04:54 PM
Willy07
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Has any one seen any recent software updates for version 1 or 2 board ?
Old 05-24-2022, 05:38 PM
BW369
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Willy07
Has any one seen any recent software updates for version 1 or 2 board ?
I have not seen anything in a while, but at this point I don't want to do anything as whatever I have is perfect.
Old 05-24-2022, 05:39 PM
Willy07
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

What version board do you have and what rev firmware ? thx
Old 05-24-2022, 05:48 PM
BW369
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Willy07
What version board do you have and what rev firmware ? thx
I have version 1 and don't think I upgraded since 2021-11-24, or perhaps I updated to something available in the beginning of the year.
Old 05-24-2022, 09:14 PM
alex.qts
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Just installed my board (v2) in 991 and very happy with the interface & audio quality out of the box with Bose is not too bad.

Cable routing was a bit of a nightmare but I found that pushing the large connector into the recess on the right hand side of the cage did the trick for me.

I have got a strange issue where the Carplay interface randomly cuts out and throws me back to the PCM Aux screen when driving. almost like it is loosing power or rebooting. I then have to hold info and re-connect the device. It has happened twice now.

Thinking I will try in wired carplay mode. Has anyone else experienced this?

Old 05-25-2022, 07:33 PM
TimYH
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Reading the instruction manual it sounds like if you want to have an aftermarket backup camera, it needs to be a Analog HD device, not NTSC. Does anyone know if the camera resolution matters? The one linked to in the instructions is 720P but I'm seeing if a 1080P would also work.
The following users liked this post:
Kimiiii (05-26-2022)
Old 05-31-2022, 07:00 PM
Subzero
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, everyone, i installed version 2.0 in my 991.1 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet.
After installation, I miss the option of continuing to use the AUX IN in the glove box (jack socket).
AUX IN is occupied by the Isudar module itself.
Is there a way to continue using the AUX IN (jack) in the glove compartment parallel to the Isudar module?

Last edited by Subzero; 05-31-2022 at 07:01 PM.
Old 06-09-2022, 11:14 PM
Nova555
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’m wondering what is the best aftermarket rear view camera for this.

Also has anyone installed a stick on heat sink on any of the components on the board. It gets crazy hot in the car and just want to make sure everything stays cool and working.
Old 06-10-2022, 02:20 AM
alex.qts
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sadly my unit is still cutting out - the carplay board is disconnecting / rebooting - throwing me back to the Aux screen on the PCM. It appears to be when going over bumpy roads but it could also just be totally random.

So strange because I have practically bench-tested the unit. Every connector, ribbon cable, all the wiring looms. None of them, including the board itself respond to movement when it is all powered on and stationary but once it gets installed back in the car and moving it starts rebooting again.

Such a shame as the unit is so good when it works. I have been emailing Kimi but so far not had any support other than the generic 'black screen' check the ribbon cables etc....

Let's see what happens but I think I may need a replacement board.

Last edited by alex.qts; 06-10-2022 at 02:25 AM.
Old 06-10-2022, 08:53 AM
coffeeisgood
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Nova555
I’m wondering what is the best aftermarket rear view camera for this.

Also has anyone installed a stick on heat sink on any of the components on the board. It gets crazy hot in the car and just want to make sure everything stays cool and working.
if you have not already, maybe consider imaging and protecting your hard drive / swapping out with a new SSD

do you need this specific SSD? maybe not but it's rated for extreme temps high/low

SSD452K-I
https://www.transcend-info.com/Embed...oducts/No-1044
(the -I variant is important)

Transcend SSD450K - solid state drive - 128 GB - SATA 6Gb/s
Insight # TS128GSSD450K-I Mfr. # TS128GSSD450K-I UNSPSC: 43170000
https://www.insight.com/en_US/shop/p...-GB-SATA-6Gbs/
Old 06-11-2022, 06:50 AM
IpsoFactoGTS
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alex.qts
Sadly my unit is still cutting out - the carplay board is disconnecting / rebooting - throwing me back to the Aux screen on the PCM. It appears to be when going over bumpy roads but it could also just be totally random.

So strange because I have practically bench-tested the unit. Every connector, ribbon cable, all the wiring looms. None of them, including the board itself respond to movement when it is all powered on and stationary but once it gets installed back in the car and moving it starts rebooting again.

Such a shame as the unit is so good when it works. I have been emailing Kimi but so far not had any support other than the generic 'black screen' check the ribbon cables etc....

Let's see what happens but I think I may need a replacement board.
My advice is to ignore any instructions you get on sending the board back!

Mine was dead on arrival (oh and I'd paid extra for the v2 board, but got sent the v1 instead...) After jumping through many many hoops trying to do diagnosis and proving that it wasn't working, Isudar agreed to the return - I followed their instructions exactly, and they said the would refund as soon as I provided tracking. Just my luck that the parcel 'never arrived', and now Isudar refusing to refund - okay lesson learned for me: send it FedEx/UPS and ignore their requests about customs value etc.

It's a good product, not perfect, but a neat little upgrade.. customer support is just not there though which is not great given how niche it is.
Old 06-11-2022, 01:27 PM
natstalgia
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was able to return my board and got a replacement. It took a very long time, though there were a series of unfortunate circumstances that contributed to it. Maybe others can benefit from some of my experience. I did email back and forth with Kimi for a bit and was able to prove out the problem. At this point, Kimi authorized me to send it back for repair, though as best I can tell, they just replaced it. I was shocked at the cost to ship to China and tried to do it as cheaply as possible through the USPS with registered mail. That was a mistake. It added another six to eight weeks. If I had to do it over again, I would have used FedEx or UPS where they track and control shipment all the way to the destination. At several points, I was sure I had just flushed all of my money down the toilet with lost shipping. There were quarantines and holidays that also delayed the process.

However, when I got the unit back, I was able to install it and get it up and running. I am very happy with the finished product. Stay on top of Kimi -- responses can be slow, but they will respond.
Old 06-11-2022, 06:51 PM
Porshatt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have given up on Wireless CarPlay here! I connect via USB cable and works 90% of the time.

Quick Reply: Isudar Carplay for PCM 3.1