Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Isudar Carplay for PCM 3.1

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2022, 09:04 AM
BaltimoreHokie
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

This thread is getting impressive. Hard to read every single post. I'll be receiving this board in the mail today, install seems mostly straight forward, especially with the isudar videos and posts here.

Is there a general consensus of what settings need to be changed after install on the PCM, or within the board settings to get the best sound, or experience?
The board version seems to be the V2.0 correct? Is there a web page somewhere that shows the latest software versions?
Old 04-07-2022, 09:21 AM
vman932
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ars69
Any way to play regular car satellite radio but be in CarPlay mode and still get google maps sound? Obviously able to do it without maps sound but curious if can get audio from both. Thanks!
I can only speak to Android Auto, but I would assume CarPlay is the same. In Android Auto, there is a SiriusXM app. You can play SiriusXM through Android Auto/ Carplay, independent of the factory PCM, and have google maps running (with sound) at the same time.
The following users liked this post:
981BGTS (04-08-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 02:25 AM
ElSpoon958
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Just finished reading the whole initial post with photos. Need to finish reading the rest of the thread but I couldn't help myself from jumping in to comment. I know over on this head unit upgrade thread I started (and is going nowhere lol): 958 Head Unit Upgrades?, I have been told a few times now to check out this iSudar kit. I was (and am) so frustrated with my experience recently installing the GTA Car Kit version of this and all the other cheap rebranded chinese stuff like JoyeAuto, I ignored the iSudar because it looked at first to be just like the rest and have no differences whatsoever. But now I'm seeing this thread and the listed differences. And I'm interested. I guess I'm curious why all the other kits aren't more "simple" like the iSudar kit. I like the less-components-factor of this iSudar kit. The module you put in the PCM from iSudar definitely looks different than the others i.e. JoyeAuto, NM Automotive, Nifty City, GTA Car Kits, etc blah blah blah. It looks slightly larger. My uninformed/uneducated stab at the reasoning for this is because they were somehow able to fit everything required to make this retrofit function on that one single module board instead of that secondary box all the other kits have that you run all the cables/adapters to and from. Hopefully, someone here with more tech knowledge of chips/circuits/boards could chime in lol. So, if that's the case, that just seems like so much more efficient and hassle-free compared to the other kits. That makes me scratch my head. I wonder if that's how all the other retrofit kits cost an arm and leg compared to the iSudar kit - because those kits have more components/parts. That way they can justify charging 2x the price? I don't know.

I have all but given up on aftermarket head unit upgrade solutions with Android Auto from the likes of Pioneer or Alpine (you can check that thread I linked earlier if curious). I've been beating my head back and forth to get GTA Car Kits to return and refund my $600 for their kit that I couldn't get to function for more than 15 minutes. I feel slightly sadly resigned to having little to no choice but to try again with a retrofit option. And whoever told me to check out iSudar might be right, because this looks like a cleaner, simpler setup. And more affordable. I'll just have to wait a month or two like everyone else it seems for delivery lol.

Because otherwise for the same cost of most of the retrofit kits out there, one can get a pretty decent quality aftermarket head unit/receiver as I mentioned from Pioneer or Alpine or other reputable brands. The biggest issue or concern I have been wondering about with that route though is how you would ever be able to be able to still access vehicle info or settings that you normally would do on the factory PCM. Like, if the OEM PCM is completely removed and replaced with a Pioneer... even if it was all adapted and wired up properly, you'd still lose the ability to access all those options/settings for things that you can't access with steering wheel controls on that gauge cluster menu. I can't think off the top of my head exactly what you'd be losing or missing, or if they're important to have or not.

iSudar might just be the FTW option IF it actually works as intended. I've had my dash torn apart 3 different times now reinstalling the GTA Car Kit and I'm through with that. Don't want the headache, just want this **** to work lol.

Old 04-11-2022, 02:30 AM
ElSpoon958
Racer

Originally Posted by Fantasmos
This Carplay implementation works in my opinion faster and snappier than the Joyeauto. I replaced my PCM disc with an SSD which helps too but it works like an OEM unit. In my neighbour's Cayenne we installed Joyeauto one (or pretty much every other box Carplay - they are all the same just rebranded) and you can feel lag here and there. With that one it's super snappier the only downside being the hard slide function which is actually due to the old PCM display.
the iSudar kit is faster/snappier/more responsive than the JoyeAuto unit you're saying? Maybe that's because it seems they integrated all the chips and **** on the one single module?

but DUDE! can you PLEASE elaborate on what you mean about replacing your PCM disc with an SSD?!?! Pics or write up anywhere? Photos or videos of how it functions or something? I'm excited to see how this was done. Did you like cut the disc section out and put in a 2.5" SSD and solder wires somewhere? It sounds intense. But maybe there's something I'm missing. I'd love to learn more!

EDIT: found lots of threads and info on the forums here and everywhere on how to clone and swap an SSD.

Last edited by ElSpoon958; 04-11-2022 at 04:18 PM. Reason: I'm a dumbazz. Plenty of threads on SSD installs
Old 04-11-2022, 07:28 AM
BaltimoreHokie
Advanced

I took a shot at installing it this weekend. I had a few issues. Install was quick and pretty easy (991.1). But I had a few PCM/Software issues on boot up. I didn't have a ton of time to troubleshoot so the answers may be simple.

I have the v2.0 Board...
1. No Sound: Now I realize I need to swap over my fiber cables during the install but my board set up was a little different (XM) so I just assumed there could have been other changes as well. I didn't see any orange cables to swap but looking back, I think mine were likely just a different color. So that should be easy.
2. On the normal PCM screen, it seemed as if some of my options, and favorites (stations/settings etc) weren't working like they did previous, when I hit sources, not as many came up; including the FM option, I believe I had to hit tuner for it to come up and even then it was having a hard time switching out of AM. I did do a reset (hold info for 15 seconds) and I think this may have taken care of it. Anyone have this issue?
3. On the PCM screen it seemed like there were a couple instances where some of the wording wasn't being displayed correctly, or in full. I did do a reset (hold info for 15 seconds) and I think this may have taken care of it. Anyone have this issue?
4. On the power cable, there is a small 2 wire connector called "Speaker"....Where does this go? Picture below:

5. Just to confirm, 991.1's and possibly some others do not need to install the Microphone?

Because of the sound issue, I was pretty frustrated and didn't take enough time troubleshooting and just walked away, but figured I'd post it here just in case anyone else has these issues, or can assist.

Last edited by BaltimoreHokie; 04-11-2022 at 07:30 AM.
Old 04-11-2022, 04:24 PM
ElSpoon958
Racer

Originally Posted by BaltimoreHokie
I took a shot at installing it this weekend. I had a few issues. Install was quick and pretty easy (991.1). But I had a few PCM/Software issues on boot up. I didn't have a ton of time to troubleshoot so the answers may be simple.

I have the v2.0 Board...
1. No Sound: Now I realize I need to swap over my fiber cables during the install but my board set up was a little different (XM) so I just assumed there could have been other changes as well. I didn't see any orange cables to swap but looking back, I think mine were likely just a different color. So that should be easy.
2. On the normal PCM screen, it seemed as if some of my options, and favorites (stations/settings etc) weren't working like they did previous, when I hit sources, not as many came up; including the FM option, I believe I had to hit tuner for it to come up and even then it was having a hard time switching out of AM. I did do a reset (hold info for 15 seconds) and I think this may have taken care of it. Anyone have this issue?
3. On the PCM screen it seemed like there were a couple instances where some of the wording wasn't being displayed correctly, or in full. I did do a reset (hold info for 15 seconds) and I think this may have taken care of it. Anyone have this issue?
4. On the power cable, there is a small 2 wire connector called "Speaker"....Where does this go? Picture below:

5. Just to confirm, 991.1's and possibly some others do not need to install the Microphone?

Because of the sound issue, I was pretty frustrated and didn't take enough time troubleshooting and just walked away, but figured I'd post it here just in case anyone else has these issues, or can assist.

I made the same mistake when I installed of the many identically crappy retrofit kits (GTA Car Kits), I forgot to unplug the two orange optical audio cables from the factory harness and put back into the back of the factory PCM. Then I got my sound back. I also had the XM satellite radio module in my PCM, which many of the install instructional videos I saw on how to do the retrofit kit did not have. That also threw me off for a second. I decided to just forego the XM module entirely. Set it to the side. I never used satellite radio in any vehicle, and I don't know many people who want or care for it either. Especially with the advent of Android Auto / Car Play. That is the future of car audio integration and pretty much makes satellite radio obsolete IMHO.

But either way, my retrofit kit was a fail. Doesn't work. So I might be going with this iSudar kit. Just hate to have to wait so long for delivery.
Old 04-11-2022, 04:28 PM
BaltimoreHokie
Advanced

Originally Posted by ElSpoon958
I made the same mistake when I installed of the many identically crappy retrofit kits (GTA Car Kits), I forgot to unplug the two orange optical audio cables from the factory harness and put back into the back of the factory PCM. Then I got my sound back. I also had the XM satellite radio module in my PCM, which many of the install instructional videos I saw on how to do the retrofit kit did not have. That also threw me off for a second. I decided to just forego the XM module entirely. Set it to the side. I never used satellite radio in any vehicle, and I don't know many people who want or care for it either. Especially with the advent of Android Auto / Car Play. That is the future of car audio integration and pretty much makes satellite radio obsolete IMHO.

But either way, my retrofit kit was a fail. Doesn't work. So I might be going with this iSudar kit. Just hate to have to wait so long for delivery.
So, I definitely do not have orange cables....But, I am assuming they may not be orange in my 991.1. I should have taken more pictures instead of having to open it back up.

Well, its on amazon right now. It may not end up being months...Says it would be able a week.
Amazon Amazon
Old 04-11-2022, 05:13 PM
ElSpoon958
Racer

So, I definitely do not have orange cables....But, I am assuming they may not be orange in my 991.1. I should have taken more pictures instead of having to open it back up.

Well, its on amazon right now. It may not end up being months...Says it would be able a week.
https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Pana...d_gw_ci_mcx_mi

OH SNAPPPPP! Dude thanks for that link lol is that really the iSudar kit!? I mean, the picture advertised looks the same as the V2 board from iSudar (black, larger) vs the other retro**** kits with green module boards that are smaller
Old 04-11-2022, 05:15 PM
Jim981CS
Pro

Received 277 Likes on 177 Posts

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Pana...d_gw_ci_mcx_mi
Do you have the Bose or Burmester system? I think the orange cables are the fiber optic (MOST) cables, that need to be moved to the back of the PCM, are only on the Bose or Burmester and are not on the SPP system.
Jim
Old 04-11-2022, 05:16 PM
BaltimoreHokie
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jim981CS
Do you have the Bose or Burmester system? I think the orange cables are the fiber optic (MOST) cables, that need to be moved to the back of the PCM, are only on the Bose or Burmester and are not on the SPP system.
Jim
I do, Bose....i guess I need to look closer, but I def have nice sound when the board is not in / all hooked up. So it must be there just not orange.
Old 04-13-2022, 12:36 PM
ElCid86
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

A bit off topic but I’m hoping someone has a picture of this little gem that somehow popped off my PCM3.1. it actually looks like it wasn’t connected but I’d like to solder it back in the right direction… TIA.

UPDATE: I found a picture that helps in the first post of this thread. (grey shaded area goes up)

Last edited by ElCid86; 04-13-2022 at 02:20 PM.
Old 04-13-2022, 01:23 PM
ElCid86
Instructor

Originally Posted by ElSpoon958

but DUDE! can you PLEASE elaborate on what you mean about replacing your PCM disc with an SSD?!?! Pics or write up anywhere? Photos or videos of how it functions or something? I'm excited to see how this was done. Did you like cut the disc section out and put in a 2.5" SSD and solder wires somewhere? It sounds intense. But maybe there's something I'm missing. I'd love to learn more!

EDIT: found lots of threads and info on the forums here and everywhere on how to clone and swap an SSD.
LMK, if you need help with cloning. I have a dock (and PCM3.1 image).

Last edited by ElCid86; 04-13-2022 at 01:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ElSpoon958 (04-15-2022)
Old 04-13-2022, 05:15 PM
danby
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

For reference for others doing this, the display shouldn't be separated from the main box like this when installing the board. The top of the main box just slides off, leaving the display in place. Much less strain on the ribbon cables this way.

Last edited by danby; 04-13-2022 at 05:27 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by danby:
DanQ (05-01-2022), ElCid86 (04-13-2022), ElSpoon958 (04-15-2022)
Old 04-13-2022, 05:27 PM
ElCid86
Instructor

Originally Posted by danby
For reference for future, the display shouldn't be separated from the main box like this when installing the board. The top of the main box just slides off, leaving the display in place. Much less strain on the ribbon cables this way.
Thanks. I just saw that in a video (and now feel even dumber).
Old 04-13-2022, 05:29 PM
danby
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah unfortunately many of the tutorials do remove it. I removed mine as well which is how I realized it wasn't necessary. At least I avoided it the second time around :P
The following 2 users liked this post by danby:
ElCid86 (04-13-2022), ElSpoon958 (04-15-2022)

Quick Reply: Isudar Carplay for PCM 3.1