Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Isudar Carplay for PCM 3.1

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2022, 10:30 AM
sac02
Pro

Received 217 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by JohsonChou
If you plan to remove redo your install, is it possible to send me some high definition images of the 2.0 board? I am working on getting digital audio out of the board. Especially around the dac.
I want to see what these two chips are:
I'm not the owner of a 2.0 board, and I can't code, but I do love to tinker with electronics and am loving what you're trying to do here.

If you get it working I may be the first to take a soldering iron to my board.

Let me know if I can support in any way.

Last edited by sac02; 01-27-2022 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-26-2022, 10:34 AM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by geekcarguy
Yes that’s correct. Yeah well I double checked everything before mounting it. And everything was seated. Feels like if the ribbon was wrongly mounted more stuff would have been glitching?
In my experience the ribbon cables are very finnicky. They need to be seated in the connector, just right. The first 2-3 times I did this, with no prior electronics experience, I was too light on the touch before locking it in, esp the cable that goes to the screen because the angle is weird. Now, I've removed and installed the board what seems like a million times now and I'm much more comfortable, the parts are more robust than I I originally thought.

On another note, the first 2.0 board kit I received had a junky harness connector. It required me to really get the harness connected before it would power the PCM. I had to finagle it and it would work 1/3 of the time. I swapped the harness from a new kit and the new harness is much tighter and works every time I connect it. Most likely a QC issue.
Old 01-26-2022, 10:41 AM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sac02
As a longtime veteran ordering from Alibaba/express, taobao, etc, - this is a mainstay of the Chinese retail model. Customers must painstakingly prove an issue even exists, document it with pictures, video, pictures of the packaging, etc, etc, etc... And then when you have finally proven that your widget doesn't work, instead of a refund or replacement the seller will begin negotiation of what percentage refund they will give you. You can prove that your widget was snapped in half in shipping due to poor packaging by the seller, or that it caught fire and melted into a puddle due to poor QC, and still the best you frequently get is 50% refund.

This is in stark contrast to the (modern) American model where returns are accepted without question. While "lifetime warranty" existed long before (Sears/Craftsman tools, for example), the "unquestioned return policy" only became mainstream 20-30 years ago with WalMart and their rise to the ubiquitous behemoth they are today.

There are obvious pros/cons to each. The Chinese model annoys honest customers but keeps prices down at the ridiculous lows we tend to enjoy from Chinese goods. The western model leads to happy customers but also abuse and higher prices - I heard a data point the other day in a podcast that something like 30-35% of retail goods in America are returned - that cost must obviously be baked into the selling price of the item.
20% online vs 9% B&M for returns, but point taken.

I have/had an issue with my first 2.0 board. I just returned it and will eat the $28 shipping back to China. I also disputed it on my credit card and could have junked the board and saved the $28 but hopefully they look at the board and learn from it.
While troubleshooting with iSudar, I placed another order for a new board, at the beginning of a new cycle on a different credit card. I installed that the other day and used it extensively yesterday and it seems to work as intended. I paid $10 more for the new board and the $28 return for the old board so hopefully everything works now.

Old 01-26-2022, 12:14 PM
johnvaughan
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mic setup with Isudar and PCM3.1

Need some help with the microphone setup with Isudar CarPlay and PCM 3.1. I would like to use my car's microphone for both iPhone calls and Siri (e.g. call John Doe, play Spotify, etc...). I don't want to use the microphone on my iPhone. Is this possible? If so, please provide the PCM settings and Isudar CarPlay settings. The Isudar instructions are lacking in this area. Thanks in advanced.

Last edited by johnvaughan; 01-26-2022 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-26-2022, 08:13 PM
VRShader
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by sac02
I'm not the owner of a 2.0 board, and I can't code, but I do love to tinker with electronics and am loving what you're trying to do here.

If you get it working I may be the first to take a soldering iron to my board.

Let me know if I can support in any way.
I am working with @konkab and trying out some software route first:

Plan A:
Modify the isudar firmware to make it act as and iPod and connect to PCM through iPod instead of AUX (it would be much, much easier if we can have isudar's source code...)

Plan B:
Modify the isudar firmware to output audio through USB audio -> I2S -> Raspberry Pi -> PCM's ipod input

Plan C:
Modify the isudar board to get I2S audio out. (we know it is possible because the v2 board has external DAC) -> Raspberry Pi -> PCM's ipod input

Please know that this is a part time project and it can take a very long time.
The following 2 users liked this post by VRShader:
981BGTS (01-27-2022), BW369 (01-28-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 09:20 PM
Willy07
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Super initiative ! Go gettem !
Old 01-26-2022, 09:40 PM
Santirx
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 99 Posts

Agree…. Interesting project @JohsonChou

This would be a leap forward, if it can be accomplished.
Old 01-27-2022, 06:12 PM
Prince.Lu
6th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Default From Isudar support

Dear friends, I'm Prince.lu from the Isudar Support. Thank you very much for your discussion on our products here. You can ask me any questions about the installation or use of our products, and we will be happy to answer them for you. Of course, there are suggestions for product improvement, and we are also very willing to listen to them. We sincerely hope we can provide high-quality products and considerate service for our customers. Enhancing customers' shopping experience should be our seller's absolute priority, we always try our best. Your advice about this item will be highly appreciated. Thanks. Support0888@163.com
The following 8 users liked this post by Prince.Lu:
16PanaHybrid (01-27-2022), 981BGTS (01-27-2022), arnoud-from-nl (01-31-2022), geekcarguy (01-28-2022), Hawkpilot6060 (01-27-2022), looping (04-22-2022), Santirx (01-27-2022), TWalk (01-28-2022) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-27-2022, 10:54 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Prince.Lu
Dear friends, I'm Prince.lu from the Isudar Support. Thank you very much for your discussion on our products here. You can ask me any questions about the installation or use of our products, and we will be happy to answer them for you. Of course, there are suggestions for product improvement, and we are also very willing to listen to them. We sincerely hope we can provide high-quality products and considerate service for our customers. Enhancing customers' shopping experience should be our seller's absolute priority, we always try our best. Your advice about this item will be highly appreciated. Thanks. Support0888@163.com
I probably wouldn't adopt the English name/title "Prince".Lu. It makes you sound like a scammer.

With that said thanks for chiming in.
I have
Version 2.0
CX301: BSJ1211213-1214

1.) Is it recommended to have my iPhone pair with the PCM Bluetooth function for telephone? I currently have the phone unpaired and it seems to work ok going through CarPlay.
2.) Is there an update to fix the steering wheel "back" button so when pressed, it doesn't toggle the CarPlay screen?

Old 01-27-2022, 11:43 PM
VRShader
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Prince.Lu
Can you ask the engineers to allow us to use USB sound card.
Even better if you can ask them to use the code here: https://github.com/oandrew/ipod-gadget optionally output audio through iPod instead of AUX.
If you can ask your engineers to contact me directly, I can help them to make it work. (The problem I am having is that I don't have access to source code).

Last edited by VRShader; 01-27-2022 at 11:44 PM.
Old 01-27-2022, 11:53 PM
VRShader
Rennlist Member

@konkab Here is the diff between the v1.2's 1124 and v2.0's 0105B. I thought if I diff it I can see where it is configuring audio output. But it loosk like the difference is all at application layer.

I think they directly output the audio to the sound device, without going through ALSA. (I found no ALSA setup anywhere). Which means I can't really change it to output to USBAudio unless I have access to their source code.
Old 01-28-2022, 12:45 AM
BW369
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I am working with @konkab and trying out some software route first:

Plan A:
Modify the isudar firmware to make it act as and iPod and connect to PCM through iPod instead of AUX (it would be much, much easier if we can have isudar's source code...)

Plan B:
Modify the isudar firmware to output audio through USB audio -> I2S -> Raspberry Pi -> PCM's ipod input

Plan C:
Modify the isudar board to get I2S audio out. (we know it is possible because the v2 board has external DAC) -> Raspberry Pi -> PCM's ipod input

Please know that this is a part time project and it can take a very long time.
Looking eagerly to some updates if Option 1 can work
Old 01-28-2022, 03:45 AM
konkab
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

@konkab Here is the diff between the v1.2's 1124 and v2.0's 0105B. I thought if I diff it I can see where it is configuring audio output. But it loosk like the difference is all at application layer.

I think they directly output the audio to the sound device, without going through ALSA. (I found no ALSA setup anywhere). Which means I can't really change it to output to USBAudio unless I have access to their source code.
I think we should try testing "USBDevice" by enabling USBDevice, iAP2Hid, USBDeviceModeAudio, MediaPlaybackRemote. There are a lot of references to USB audio methods in "apple_iap_server" like `writeUSBAudioData` and others that look like they do what we need:

Old 01-28-2022, 02:35 PM
VRShader
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by konkab
I think we should try testing "USBDevice" by enabling USBDevice, iAP2Hid, USBDeviceModeAudio, MediaPlaybackRemote. There are a lot of references to USB audio methods in "apple_iap_server" like `writeUSBAudioData` and others that look like they do what we need:

Lol, are you using a de-compiler? Which one are you using? Gotta go back and brush up my assembly and C I learnt from college.

Last edited by VRShader; 01-28-2022 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-28-2022, 02:52 PM
konkab
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

Lol, are you using a de-compiler? Which one are you using? Gotta go back bursh up my assembly and C I learnt from college.
Yeah, I’m using hopper on Mac for static analysis. It gives you an option to see a pseudo code in C style, which is a bit more readable than assembler

Quick Reply: Isudar Carplay for PCM 3.1