Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Isudar Carplay for PCM 3.1

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2022, 03:16 PM
VRShader
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by jojo1977
So now the question is, how do we (on the old board, 1124 firmware) get our hands on the new firmware... I emailed Kimi but she's referring to having to ask the engineers
What does the new firmware do?

With the new MCU I am fairly happy with the product (I am still working on my reverse camera, but I think it is an issue of the camera, not isudar).

I am researching to see if I can figure out a way to connect to the audio system digitally, not through the crappy Isudar -> AUX -> PCM's ADC -> MOST -> Bose DAC Route.
I know SPHE8368 ( the chip isudar uses) do support spdif output, but it looks like isudar didn't implement it. The hope here is the USB. If we can just USB -> USB SPDIF adapter -> SPDIF MOST Interface it would be awesome. Even if we do USB -> high quality usb dac -> PCM AUX IN it would be much better the 1.2's SOC output or 2.0's onboard crappy DAC.

It would be great if they can lol, release their sdk and source code... but I doubt that is possible.
Old 01-25-2022, 04:01 PM
Santirx
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by JohsonChou
What does the new firmware do?

With the new MCU I am fairly happy with the product (I am still working on my reverse camera, but I think it is an issue of the camera, not isudar).

I am researching to see if I can figure out a way to connect to the audio system digitally, not through the crappy Isudar -> AUX -> PCM's ADC -> MOST -> Bose DAC Route.
I know SPHE8368 ( the chip isudar uses) do support spdif output, but it looks like isudar didn't implement it. The hope here is the USB. If we can just USB -> USB SPDIF adapter -> SPDIF MOST Interface it would be awesome. Even if we do USB -> high quality usb dac -> PCM AUX IN it would be much better the 1.2's SOC output or 2.0's onboard crappy DAC.

It would be great if they can lol, release their sdk and source code... but I doubt that is possible.
If you figure that out, I’ll be your first customer! I don’t use AUX. I use wireless CarPlay, and connect directly to PCM. Select iPod input. So, audio is going directly through PCM/MOST (bypassing Isudar), but I’m still able to see CarPlay in my screen.

I only lose turn by turn navigation voice with Waze/Apple Maps… I do get turn by turn voice navigation with Google maps. I also have access to Siri but can’t hear it. Is my compromise, as I prioritize audio quality.
Old 01-25-2022, 04:07 PM
VRShader
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Santirx
If you figure that out, I’ll be your first customer! I don’t use AUX. I use wireless CarPlay, and connect directly to PCM. Select iPod input. So, audio is going directly through PCM/MOST (bypassing Isudar), but I’m still able to see CarPlay in my screen.

I only lose turn by turn navigation voice with Waze/Apple Maps… I do get turn by turn voice navigation with Google maps. I also have access to Siri but can’t hear it. Is my compromise, as I prioritize audio quality.
Building on your idea
So I think this is the answer to get digital audio in to the PCM: https://github.com/oandrew/ipod-gadget
This allows raspberry pi to simulate a ipod device. Now just working on getting digital audio out of isudar.

I know for sure isudar board runs linux and it uses sunplus sphe8368. Problem is Sunplus is very very "closed sourced" so there isn't any technical documents online.
Only thing I need to do is to find a way to get to the boards' terminal and configure it to connect to a raspberry pi or usb audio card. I will try probing around...
Old 01-25-2022, 06:18 PM
Willy07
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Same road block here as well, send pictures. send video, etc. etc. from kimi.
Why can we not get a steering wheel MCU firmware fix for 1.2 DG boards from the manufacturer. It seems AMAZON have the file to disperse though..........huh ????
Old 01-25-2022, 06:22 PM
VRShader
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Willy07
Why can we not get a steering wheel MCU firmware fix for 1.2 DG boards from the manufacturer. It seems AMAZON have the file to disperse though..........huh ????
I might have just PMed you something
Old 01-25-2022, 06:47 PM
VRShader
Rennlist Member

Building on your idea
So I think this is the answer to get digital audio in to the PCM: https://github.com/oandrew/ipod-gadget
This allows raspberry pi to simulate a ipod device. Now just working on getting digital audio out of isudar.

I know for sure isudar board runs linux and it uses sunplus sphe8368. Problem is Sunplus is very very "closed sourced" so there isn't any technical documents online.
Only thing I need to do is to find a way to get to the boards' terminal and configure it to connect to a raspberry pi or usb audio card. I will try probing around...
Ok, I will try the usb a little bit more and see if it works, if not I think I can find a I2C audio on the isudar board and then have raspberry pi convert that to IAP (ipod input).

Reference here: https://www-caraudioforum-it.transla..._x_tr_pto=wapp
^ this person seems to hacked another isudar product and added a SPDIF output, you might need google translate.

This requires a lot of time for me to research... just letting everybody know that this is definitely possible.
Obviously the easiest way to do it would be for isudar engineer to just connect to the PCM audio through IAP internally with code base here: https://github.com/oandrew/ipod...

Last edited by VRShader; 01-25-2022 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-25-2022, 07:00 PM
geekcarguy
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi! I have purchased the Isudar 2.0 a couple weeks back. And installed it. I also have some connection issues when starting up after it’ been sitting for some while. But my biggest concern is now that my buttons backlight function does not work anymore. Have anyone had this issue? And how can I fix it?

irs very annoying as in the dark I can’t see any of the infotainment buttons. Help would be much appreciated! Thank you.
Old 01-25-2022, 07:47 PM
Willy07
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

If it’s the actual PCM button backlighting that is missing…….I would re check the ribbon , that passes through to the PCM cage to the display board, or LCD panel.
Old 01-26-2022, 03:30 AM
geekcarguy
Intermediate

If it’s the actual PCM button backlighting that is missing…….I would re check the ribbon , that passes through to the PCM cage to the display board, or LCD panel.
Yes that’s correct. Yeah well I double checked everything before mounting it. And everything was seated. Feels like if the ribbon was wrongly mounted more stuff would have been glitching?
Old 01-26-2022, 03:53 AM
jojo1977
8th Gear

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I might have just PMed you something
Hi. I magically got my hands on that one as well now . I'm glad it fixes the "back button" issue, however... I have a factory back up camera, and whilst it was showing the image of the camera as soon as I put the car in reverse with the old firmware, this functionality now seems to have been lost . I may need to play with some settings I guess.
I did check my oil three times on my commute today, using the back button to get back to the main mfd display, and CarPlay remained on Waze. Small wins...
The following users liked this post:
Santirx (01-26-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 04:12 AM
geekcarguy
Intermediate

Hi. I magically got my hands on that one as well now . I'm glad it fixes the "back button" issue, however... I have a factory back up camera, and whilst it was showing the image of the camera as soon as I put the car in reverse with the old firmware, this functionality now seems to have been lost . I may need to play with some settings I guess.
I did check my oil three times on my commute today, using the back button to get back to the main mfd display, and CarPlay remained on Waze. Small wins...
when your checking for the rear view camera to work. Make sure you have disengaged the p-brake. I thought at first mine wasn’t working either when I just wanted to test it in the garage. But I put on my seat belt and disengaged the parking brake and it worked. Otherwise check in the settings menu of the isadur that it’s turned on for oem camera and not aftermarket.
Old 01-26-2022, 04:16 AM
VRShader
Rennlist Member

I was having some trouble with backup camera when I first installed it as well. All you have to do is a hard reset. (pull the PCM fuse and reinsert it)
Also make sure your settings are correct.
Old 01-26-2022, 04:24 AM
VRShader
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by geekcarguy
Hi! I have purchased the Isudar 2.0 a couple weeks back. And installed it. I also have some connection issues when starting up after it’ been sitting for some while. But my biggest concern is now that my buttons backlight function does not work anymore. Have anyone had this issue? And how can I fix it?

irs very annoying as in the dark I can’t see any of the infotainment buttons. Help would be much appreciated! Thank you.
If you plan to remove redo your install, is it possible to send me some high definition images of the 2.0 board? I am working on getting digital audio out of the board. Especially around the dac.
I want to see what these two chips are:

Old 01-26-2022, 05:21 AM
jojo1977
8th Gear

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by geekcarguy
Otherwise check in the settings menu of the isadur that it’s turned on for oem camera and not aftermarket.
And that was it, it seems... I'm an idiot sometimes :-)
The following 2 users liked this post by jojo1977:
geekcarguy (01-26-2022), Santirx (01-26-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 10:25 AM
sac02
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 139 Posts

As a longtime veteran ordering from Alibaba/express, taobao, etc, - this is a mainstay of the Chinese retail model. Customers must painstakingly prove an issue even exists, document it with pictures, video, pictures of the packaging, etc, etc, etc... And then when you have finally proven that your widget doesn't work, instead of a refund or replacement the seller will begin negotiation of what percentage refund they will give you. You can prove that your widget was snapped in half in shipping due to poor packaging by the seller, or that it caught fire and melted into a puddle due to poor QC, and still the best you frequently get is 50% refund.

This is in stark contrast to the (modern) American model where returns are accepted without question. While "lifetime warranty" existed long before (Sears/Craftsman tools, for example), the "unquestioned return policy" only became mainstream 20-30 years ago with WalMart and their rise to the ubiquitous behemoth they are today.

There are obvious pros/cons to each. The Chinese model annoys honest customers but keeps prices down at the ridiculous lows we tend to enjoy from Chinese goods. The western model leads to happy customers but also abuse and higher prices - I heard a data point the other day in a podcast that something like 30-35% of retail goods in America are returned - that cost must obviously be baked into the selling price of the item.

Quick Reply: Isudar Carplay for PCM 3.1