Notices
View Poll Results: what do you think?
really clean, nice looking Vette....
31.46%
a very different Vette but we'll sure as hell take it.
29.84%
i'll be ordering one soon.......
17.72%
No thank you
20.98%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on the new corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 03:51 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,168 Likes on 1,225 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
I hate the the Camaro more than I hate any other sports car.
The Camaro has never been and will never be a sports car.

The only people dumb enough to buy them are people who look like they live in trailer homes. Because anyone with an ounce of self esteem would get something better.
My neighbor recently bought a 2019 SS Camaro. Super nice couple, gift to themselves when their last child graduated from college, debt free. Hard working people who like craft beer and bonfires and would go out of their way to help anyone with anything.
They've always wanted a Camaro, and while a vintage 69 would have been cool, they wanted something brand new since they've never bought a new car before. They paid cash for it too.
I was impressed by the interior, deviated stitching and very comfortable seats. It isn't the car for me but I'm not going to call them dumb low self-esteem trailer park people for buying it.

Your assessment is hands down the most ignorant post in this thread, and that says a lot considering the level of ignorance in this thread.
The following 6 users liked this post by hacker-pschorr:
993Guy (08-18-2019), basil2000 (08-18-2019), Closertotruth (08-18-2019), GT3FZS (08-18-2019), JHW911 (08-26-2019), Michael T (08-26-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-18-2019, 10:24 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr

My neighbor recently bought a 2019 SS Camaro. Super nice couple, gift to themselves when their last child graduated from college, debt free. Hard working people who like craft beer and bonfires and would go out of their way to help anyone with anything.
They've always wanted a Camaro, and while a vintage 69 would have been cool, they wanted something brand new since they've never bought a new car before. They paid cash for it too.
I was impressed by the interior, deviated stitching and very comfortable seats. It isn't the car for me but I'm not going to call them dumb low self-esteem trailer park people for buying it.

Your assessment is hands down the most ignorant post in this thread, and that says a lot considering the level of ignorance in this thread.
The people you describe are the backbone of our country. They are willing to defer their wants to take care of their family. Unfortunately not as many follow that model in 2019 as did in prior generations.
The following users liked this post:
hacker-pschorr (08-23-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 12:17 PM
Caustic
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 2slow2speed
Yeah, suede on a car that will see tracktime might not be the best combination. Lot's of dust and such running with windows down. Been playing around the configurator to bring it down to a 2LT with an adrenaline red interior with the competition seats. Got to break the sea of black of the interior. Only reason why I was considering the 3LT was for the deviated stitching.

Not sure if this rendering is right since the steering wheel has the red stitching and the 12 o'clock mark as well as deviated stitching on the competition seats.

As far as I understand it, 3LT only gives you suede on the upper part of the interior, like the A and B pillar, roof and roll hoop. When you pick suede seats, the center parts of the seats, steering wheel, and some parts of the interior like where your hands may rest become suede. Its really obvious when using the configurator and the Natural color. From what I see though, no part of Adrenaline Red color can be suede, only the black parts. Thats something I'd like to verify.

When it comes to the stitching, it looks like its mostly there for the 2LT. The only difference I see with the 3LT is the air bag cap will have stitching too.

Last edited by Caustic; 08-18-2019 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-18-2019, 01:01 PM
tez2013
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 2slow2speed
Thanks! I am still a bit undecided on the exterior color since almost every color except black (hides the contrast bits and makes the car look monotone) looks good on the C8.

Great choice on the natural dipped leather, Torch Red with the natural dipped leather looks really nice, it has great contrast and brightens up the interior and makes it look warm and spacious.

Looks like we have the same taste! Thanks for the feedback.
JBsZ06 (10-04-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 07:08 PM
Dr Chill
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 167 Posts

I hate the the Camaro more than I hate any other sports car. In fact I think I hate it even more than I hate mini vans. It is a totally ugly overhyped piece of ****. The only people dumb enough to buy them are people who look like they live in trailer homes. Because anyone with an ounce of self esteem would get something better.
As a lifelong Corvette owner until 2014, I too really like the new Corvette, but your rant against the Camaro is unfounded. I chose to cancel my C7 Z07 Z06 order when I saw it at the auto show next to the 2014 Z/28 (Motor Trend's 2014 Driver's Car of the Year). The Z/28 has much greater presence and is an amazing vehicle. I bought a new 2015 Z/28 in 12/14 and to this day still get a smile on my face every day I drive it. As an added bonus, the Z/28 is appreciating in value at this point. My homes (pl) are far from trailer homes too.

As far as how I'd spec my new C8 which will be in the first batch of 2021's that arrive next fall-white, white top, red seat belts, red calipers, standard wheels and gray 1LT interior. Lotta bang for the buck at $60,985. I have no need for any other options as I plan on street use only on the good roads here in south FL.

And for the record, you, sir, are an ***.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dr Chill:
JBsZ06 (10-04-2019), SoCal-NSX (08-19-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 12:31 PM
Caustic
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Ceramic with no spoiler:

GT3FZS (08-20-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 12:48 PM
msdunkel
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by .2PDK
I hope the C8 is reliable, it will be a huge success.

Even if it takes a few years to work out any possible bugs it will still be a winner, especially the variants.

I was looking at the used F430s out there and given their specs and costs of maintenance one must wonder why anyone would opt for that over say a C8 GS or Z06.
I was looking at 360s, 430s, and 458s but decided I wanted a toy not a project. I shifted my search to the C7, C8, 911 GTS, and Spyder. Decided I did not like the 'Porsche buying experience' and found it was unlikely I'd get a Spyder at MSRP anytime in the next 2 years, and the 911 GTS optioned the way I wanted was significantly more money than all the others I was considering. The C8 is an exciting unknown, but it's still an unknown entity that I'll have to wait another 6 months to get. Unless the C8 is a disaster the C7 will likely depreciate like no other Corvette in history so I was suffering from 1st-world-problems-indecision-disorder. I finally decided on a ZR1; the car is STUPID fast, generates (nearly) all the attention a Ferrari would, costs almost exactly what my optioned out Spyder would've cost, and there are less than 900 manuals in existence so it will likely hold it's value better than any other C7. Most importantly every time I step on the loud pedal, hear the angry growl, feel the Gs, and see that 2 MPG instantaneous mileage, I get a great big $2k gas guzzler smile on my face that I just can't shake.
The following 3 users liked this post by msdunkel:
Closertotruth (08-19-2019), never enuf (08-22-2019), robmypro (08-22-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 01:33 PM
Annona
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by msdunkel
I was looking at 360s, 430s, and 458s but decided I wanted a toy not a project. I shifted my search to the C7, C8, 911 GTS, and Spyder. Decided I did not like the 'Porsche buying experience' and found it was unlikely I'd get a Spyder at MSRP anytime in the next 2 years, and the 911 GTS optioned the way I wanted was significantly more money than all the others I was considering. The C8 is an exciting unknown, but it's still an unknown entity that I'll have to wait another 6 months to get. Unless the C8 is a disaster the C7 will likely depreciate like no other Corvette in history so I was suffering from 1st-world-problems-indecision-disorder. I finally decided on a ZR1; the car is STUPID fast, generates (nearly) all the attention a Ferrari would, costs almost exactly what my optioned out Spyder would've cost, and there are less than 900 manuals in existence so it will likely hold it's value better than any other C7. Most importantly every time I step on the loud pedal, hear the angry growl, feel the Gs, and see that 2 MPG instantaneous mileage, I get a great big $2k gas guzzler smile on my face that I just can't shake.
Classic! Love that line.
I, too, was very excited and looking towards the C8. Love everything about it, except the no-manual issue. I had a 2016 Z06 for a while. I'm now seriously looking at a ZR1, manual trans of course. Did you get yours at MSRP?
Thanks,
Old 08-19-2019, 02:15 PM
msdunkel
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Annona
Classic! Love that line.
I, too, was very excited and looking towards the C8. Love everything about it, except the no-manual issue. I had a 2016 Z06 for a while. I'm now seriously looking at a ZR1, manual trans of course. Did you get yours at MSRP?
Thanks,
GMS pricing, about $9400 below MSRP + free shipping from Wyoming to Atlanta.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:36 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,243 Likes on 751 Posts

Originally Posted by msdunkel
ZR1 is a keeper no doubt.

The gas guzzler smile is also a keeper...lol
Old 08-19-2019, 04:14 PM
Craigy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My build is going to be a little more than $62,000. Pretty excited about that.

2LT came out a little too pricey for me. Only wanted a couple of the options in the package, decided to skip it.

Only problem with going to 1LT is it pushes back to November ordering.

Real tempted to order some non-runflat Pilot Sport 4s for the car, and sell the all seasons it comes with. Got a few months to think about that.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:57 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 759 Likes on 386 Posts

88k build for me. Have to have track package, big wing and comp seats. So sticks you buying 3LT. Only live once.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:30 PM
BlackH20
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Only the beginning

Many more variations are coming that this new mid-engine configuration can lead. Hats off to Chevy for doing it, giving the most bang for the buck that you can't beat it. Need an all-wheel drive for my Colorado climate, but that will be here in a few years until then I am satisfied with my C4. 90% plus of drivers can't handle 300 HP, who thought we would be reaching the levels that are out now? Twin Turbo V6 should a blast. I am a three-pedal guy, but Chevy is using the same dual-clutch ZF transmission as Porsche. Love the interior for under $70K. I trust Jay Leno's opinion on cars and remember when he and a Chevy engineer, Tadge took a stock C7 up to 212 mph and said, "Whoever thought two guys in their sixties would be doing over 200mph in a stock Chevy".
Old 08-21-2019, 07:49 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Annona
K-A says YES! Porsche is WAY more rigid.
Tru.
Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I got to see (in the flesh) and sit in the C8 yesterday at Rydell Chevrolet.

Some quick thoughts.

1. Sounds like a typical American V8 muscle car at idle.
2. Fit and finish is fine, no worse or better than a C7.
3. The GT2 seats in two tone (white and black) were comfortable and seemed slimmer than the competition seats in the C7 (which was always too wide, even for typical American torsos)
4. The interior, to me anyway, is a bit of a mess. Visually, anyway. You have the digital screen that looks stuck on (a la Mercedes C-Series) and that weird keypad/**** (that is again reminiscent of the Mercedes setup) combined with that center strip just seems so much like a cut/paste job.
5. But the seating position is good, and the ergonomics all seem pretty well thought out.
6. Interior materials feel good. Leather seems soft to the touch and the other touch points (if the car is specc'd properly) isn't burdened with hard plastic or cheap vinyl.
7. The exterior design elements, like the interior, is a bit of a mess. Visually anyway.
8. The front and back are very very busy, and yes, the back looks like a Camaro (for better or worse)
9. The side view, no matter how much I try to think otherwise, reminds me of the 600LT (for better or worse)
10. Interior head room seems ok, but I think if you're taller than 6'0 or with a long upper body, you might have trouble fitting with a helmet.

Just some random thoughts.

Nice car, good bargain as others have said, but it's not for me.

Kudos to GM, hope it works out for them.
Any notes on how the headroom fares compared to a 991?

Originally Posted by fast1
The people you describe are the backbone of our country. They are willing to defer their wants to take care of their family. Unfortunately not as many follow that model in 2019 as did in prior generations.
Ah yes. The "good ole generations" who wouldn't kill over who used what water fountains....

Originally Posted by Caustic
That poor Camaro rental fleet rear. WTF were GM thinking, everything else is completely its own design language. Then it's like they ran out of ideas or budget for the designer.

Originally Posted by STG
** can anyone explain why no C8 talk is allowed on the whole forum except the basement here?? McLaren, etc ... are all fair game. The C8 is policed better than Epstein on here. Have never seen anything like this in all my time on RL. This car has definitely struck a nerve with the competition. Wait until the other variants also come out. It really exposes how many import buyers are getting gouged on MSRP's. Porsche has pushed the envelope so much and it's starting to get noticed.
But if they did, how could you brag about this C8 thread getting so many "views and replies?" Surely it couldn't come in at #2 to the current king (C7 Corvette thread.... which impressively was allowed to amass its views/replies while various threads on it populated other sub forums).

Originally Posted by Caustic
You realize that you will be walked by every C8 you line up with, Z51 or not, right? And when people start throwing cams, exhaust, and wider stickier tires on, all you are going to see are tail lights. I hope your Viper is heavily modded.
You realize that street racing, especially without the excuse of being a "young and dumb" is as moronic as it gets, right?

These days people hear you rev your engine up the RPM range and they look at you like you're an axe murderer. Not to mention, why risk it all for the punishment if caught racing?

Cars are much more enjoyable when you don't have to worry about some hypothetical douche pulling up next to you and burning it out in public. I couldn't care less if a Cayman or C8 is faster in a drag race. What truly matters above all is which is more fun when I'm driving on an empty backroad.

You should tell the Ferrari 488 owners on Ferrari Chat the same message about the 488. Because the C8 and the 488 are identical in length, width and height.

And post a link when you do. I will get out the popcorn.
The C8 is 2 and a half inches longer, and the 488 feels pretty wide. These cars, namely the C8 share the footprint of mid size SUV's, which is a considerable.

Originally Posted by wizee
If you want a Ferrari or want a high revving motor, you buy the F430. If you want optimal lap time per dollar, nothing has been able to compete with Corvette for decades (except perhaps Vipers). 996 base vs C5 Z06? 997 base vs C6 706? 991 base vs C8 Z06?

Ferrari has always been around 3-4x the price of a comparably performing Corvette, and Porsche has always been 1.5-2.5x the price of a comparably performing Corvette. Depreciation alters the economics of the European brands somewhat, but in the end, you buy a Ferrari if you want a Ferrari, Porsche if you want a Porsche, and Corvette if you want a Corvette.
Exactly. Yes, the engine has moved to the middle, but the performance bargain and how it compares to other cars is nothing new. I've seen this exact "revelation" and excitement pile up since the C5, especially since the C5 Z06 which was probably the most dominating Vette per dollar vs its peers to this day. Yes, the engine placement does add a substantial new layer. But I'll guess that the performance comparison to value metric will be similar to previous generations. Rinse, repeat.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:50 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 246 Likes on 169 Posts

STG falling down on the job man! No surprise...

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2...tingray-price/

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new corvette?