Notices
View Poll Results: what do you think?
really clean, nice looking Vette....
31.46%
a very different Vette but we'll sure as hell take it.
29.84%
i'll be ordering one soon.......
17.72%
No thank you
20.98%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on the new corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 04:37 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,269 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by br911
I actually wrote yesterday that this is not a car for me (never bought a Corvette) but upon a bit more thought, and reading some of the posts here, how wrong can things go if I get one? A car for running errands and going to work a couple days per week with good performance, Bluetooth, air conditioning, XM radio for, say, $65/$70K (Z51) - not bad. I usually keep a beater at home for such uses, and anything these days costs $30K, so the residual is what I am thinking about. A complete sports car for the price of what P dealers in my neighborhood ask for ADM...
Plus, once in a while drive to the track, track it a bit and drive back, even if it lasts for only one session is better than what I get form my errand cars, which is zero. Looks like a good value proposition, especially if lease rates are not too bad. Well done GM. I think Cayman, 4C, Z4 and others will take a hit.
Agree. If this was a 100-150k car I think the conversation would be different. Not sure there is any mistake in taking a t chance at 60k
Old 07-20-2019, 04:41 PM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Lets hope the design wasn't rushed and build quality is good. GM needs this to be their halo car.
Build quality is going to be the real challenge, next to materials quality. Even later in the product lifespan, Chevy/GM seems challenged by the imperative to make margin. In a former life, I owned a 2003 (C5) Corvette Coupe. Before the 3 year warranty was out, the main seal for the A-pillar/Windshield frame to Top failed. That was a $1,200 repair that fortunately, GM covered. Then there was the paper-thin seat leather. GM wouldn't cover that expense, so I went with aftermarket leather, which was 2x the thickness of the GM leather. I was absolutely paranoid about leaving the car outside for fear the clear coat would fail. And, and, and.
Old 07-20-2019, 04:43 PM
go-ran
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Agree the looks are less than desirable, but I don’t understand why you think it was a mistake to change to mid engine for only 4K more?

Major performance improvements for what downside exactly?

For us car guys its great, but i think for the vette brand it sucks. They shouldve started with a brand new car. One thing i loved about the vette was the long hood, V8 in front etc. Weather good or bad the “vette” was one way for such a long time and now its the end has come.

Then again they used a similar design as the current vette and camaro for the rear end.

But in all honesty ill probably love it in a year when you see them roaming the streets and the Z variant comes out hahaha

happy motoring
Old 07-20-2019, 04:44 PM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Sporty
Lets be real. I love my 911, but Porsches are overpriced and the quality is not all that much better . Bore scoring, IMS, water pumps, interior parts with crappy finishes that flake off or scratch, soft paint...etc. Lets compare a $130k 911 with a 65k Vette on all aspects collectively and objectively. That being said, we are paying for the exclusivity and panache that the 911 has over the Vette...the Porsche marketing machine knew what they were doing from the start.
The 992 is going to be challenged for certain with decisions that were made to increase the margin on the cars.
Old 07-20-2019, 04:51 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Grantsfo
Chevy has been doing great job with track focused cars for sure! I’m looking forward to driving this car. Who knows if it impresses me enough and I fit I may consider one. The cockpit unfortunately looks a little cramped and not tall driver friendly. I had to drive a t top grand sport in past to fit with my helmet on. A mid engined Chevy 6.2 liter v8 is very exciting.
+1

The C7 is very cramped for me at about 6'3" (I can't see me fitting comfortably while wearing a helmet) and from the photos, the new C8 looks like it may have even less overall room in the driver's seat.

I have never been a big Vette fan but the new mid-engine layout makes the C8 a very compelling car to me. I wonder if there will be cooling issues with the big V8 stuffed midship? This is definitely not a car I would take a chance on the first year or two of production as there clearly could be some teething pains with the new design.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:09 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Older vettes were unstable at speed. Tail happy and dangerous IMO. As much as I like the AMGGT, as a german Vette, this new mid engine design could really stabilize the Corvettes shortcomings at 1/3 the cost.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:18 PM
Grantsfo
Racer

Received 248 Likes on 88 Posts

In watching video they clearly were focused on cooling. Seems like lots of testing on multiple tracks has been happening as well. This group of engineers all seem to be on a mission to make this a real game changer. Dry sump with bigger oil cooler will definitely help. Seems like new motor is more efficient as well. Their new dual clutch looks great too. Wasn’t too long ago Porsche was making absolute crap motors for its entry level cars. They have improved and I suspect new V8 from Chevy will be improved by Chevy engineers.

maybe I can convince my wife to trade her Boxster S for one. Lol
Old 07-20-2019, 05:56 PM
BrakingBad
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts

Any concerns about size and weight from the masses?

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...ze-comparison/
Old 07-20-2019, 06:01 PM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by BrakingBad
Any concerns about size and weight from the masses?

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...ze-comparison/

Boost will take care of that
Old 07-20-2019, 06:05 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by nr981
I doubt there is much/any overlap in customers for exotics and customers for the Corvette (putting aside collectors and such). And most Porsche buyers don't buy based on horsepower/$$ or 0-60 specs, or we'd own Covettes, Camaros, or Mustangs.
This. Though we snooty Porsche buyers cannot order the Gold Chain & Chest Toupee package, so we're missing out in that sense...
Old 07-20-2019, 06:30 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by GoKart Mozart
You're probably right, and both cars will likely depreciate about the same dollar amount (even though in terms of percentage it is double). So for those waiting to get in to a 718 GT4 it might be worth considering the C8, as it takes a lot less money upfront, but don't be fooled by the "cheap" initial price, it will cost you about the same to own.

Bottom line, we all could have bought a C7 Z06 instead of a 981 GT4 already, since it was already significantly cheaper and faster than the GT4. So why didn't we do so? The real question here is, does the C8 change any of that? I suppose for some it could, now that it is a mid engine car and looks more Italian in styling. For me, I don't think it does.
But you can't disregard the initial price for the cars when considering the cost to own. With the exorbitant prices that Porsche charges for options, a conservative estimate would be that a well equipped GT4 will cost around $50K more than a well equipped C8, and that's assuming you can get one at MSRP. The three Porsche dealers in my area are all requesting a minimum $10K ADM for the GT4, whereas all the large Corvette dealers are selling at MSRP. So that $50 - $60K (with ADM) is the starting point. The $60K can be invested in a good mutual fund which will probably average 7% per year over three years. So that's around $13K over three years. Then add in the maintenance costs for 3 years, and I would expect that the GT4 will cost a minimum of $1K more than a C8 to maintain. Finally Corvettes don't retain their value as well as Porsches, especially GT cars, but if the total miles driven over 3 years would be identical for both cars, the total depreciation dollars lost will be similar for both cars.
Obviously just speculation, but I would expect the GT4 three year ownership costs over the C8 to be in the $12K - $14K range, when everything is considered.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:33 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 588 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Grantsfo
In watching video they clearly were focused on cooling. Seems like lots of testing on multiple tracks has been happening as well. This group of engineers all seem to be on a mission to make this a real game changer. Dry sump with bigger oil cooler will definitely help. Seems like new motor is more efficient as well. Their new dual clutch looks great too. Wasn’t too long ago Porsche was making absolute crap motors for its entry level cars. They have improved and I suspect new V8 from Chevy will be improved by Chevy engineers.

maybe I can convince my wife to trade her Boxster S for one. Lol
I think they (management) learned from the Z06 debacle of the cars overheating very quickly on-track. Make no mistake, GM has a core set of engineers who are the best in the business. They only get hampered by management.
The following users liked this post:
handful (07-22-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 06:38 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 106 Likes on 83 Posts

Spoke to a Corvette owner today. 78 year old with three Corvettes in his stable. A 2019 ZR1, 2015 Z06 and a plain base C7. Asked him about the C8, “I don’t have any room for anymore”.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:39 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 431 Likes on 308 Posts
Default Chebby

If it had the third pedal I think I would buy one...wump wump. I love my Porsche but the maintenance cost is absurd. I'll also bet no 6K door panels failing at 5K miles. If you do want one the place to buy it is in Atlantic City, they are the largest dealer in the US and get the best pricing. They also treated my buddy extremely well when something was not exactly perfect on his grand sport.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:42 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 113 Posts

Fair enough, I am definitely not up to speed on all specifics of the C7 cooling issues.

I may have wrongly associated these with the SC on the Z06 - I still surmise the SC did not help the situation, and I can confirm with 100% certainty I'd have preferred a NA performance variant.

Let's see how the C8 does, will definitely be interesting. Looks like a very cool car.

Cheers

Matt
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (07-21-2019)

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new corvette?