Notices
View Poll Results: what do you think?
really clean, nice looking Vette....
31.46%
a very different Vette but we'll sure as hell take it.
29.84%
i'll be ordering one soon.......
17.72%
No thank you
20.98%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on the new corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 06:41 PM
PorscheMeister42
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan87951
Have you not popped the hood on a Porsche? The engine compartment is filled with cheap crappy plastic components everywhere, most of which will fail the day after the warranty expires.

Funny, most of the Corvettes I see at the track (faster lap times too) seem to be running just fine unlike the Porsches who are usually in the pits getting "fixed". At least Chevy can build an engine that lasts, Porsche's track record over the last decade is nothing short of laughable. I like Porsches, but I am also a realist! If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's a duck! Porsche's long term reliability to date is a complete joke. It's a good thing you like Porsche interiors so much, it will give you something to marvel at while you wait for the tow truck.
What Porsche's have you been buying lately giving you that impression, sir?
The following users liked this post:
box (11-06-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 06:52 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheMeister42
What Porsche's have you been buying lately giving you that impression, sir?
I think the better question is what rock have you been living under? Never heard of IMS, "D-chunk", scored cylinders, or 991.1 GT3 engine failures?
Old 07-05-2019, 08:08 PM
PorscheMeister42
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 36 Posts

I think the better question is what rock have you been living under? Never heard of IMS, "D-chunk", scored cylinders, or 991.1 GT3 engine failures?
Are you a buyer/owner/driver? Or just a talker/reader/listener?
Old 07-05-2019, 08:23 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheMeister42
Are you a buyer/owner/driver? Or just a talker/reader/listener?
Do you work for Porsche? Truth hurt?!
Old 07-05-2019, 08:47 PM
orclean1
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 63 Posts

Ok girls both of you have your own opions so what not hook up and shut the blank up
PorscheMeister42 (07-09-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 11:29 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,021 Likes on 647 Posts

I hope Corvette knock one out of the park with the C8 - however, I do remember well the Motortrend best drivers car season where the latest greatest Corvette repeatedly overheated and went into limp mode at Laguna Seca.

Likewise Porsche are not perfect, however, from my own experience I have largely found them to be robust and well made. As track capable road cars they can take a lot more punishment than anything else out there and this comes with a price tag

The other point worth making is no one wins a DE day and unless you're driving in competition regularly you won't be able to extract the maximum from either of these cars. From the track POV I believe Porsche has made a fundamental error in not releasing the 718 GT4 with PDK.

The other point I would make is the C8 looks like a big car - so it may have the weight of the ZR1 ~ 3,700lbs and if released with 500HP = 7.4 lb/hp Vs the 718 GT4 ~ 3,300 @ 420HP = 7.8 lb/HP. It maybe closer than many think given the new aero package on the GT4. . Certainly will be fun finding out.

Last edited by groundhog; 07-05-2019 at 11:46 PM.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:55 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
I hope Corvette knock one out of the park with the C8 - however, I do remember well the Motortrend best drivers car season where the latest greatest Corvette repeatedly overheated and went into limp mode at Laguna Seca.

Likewise Porsche are not perfect, however, from my own experience I have largely found them to be robust and well made. As track capable road cars they can take a lot more punishment than anything else out there and this comes with a price tag

The other point worth making is no one wins a DE day and unless you're driving in competition regularly you won't be able to extract the maximum from either of these cars. From the track POV I believe Porsche has made a fundamental error in not releasing the 718 GT4 with PDK.

The other point I would make is the C8 looks like a big car - so it may have the weight of the ZR1 ~ 3,700lbs and if released with 500HP = 7.4 lb/hp Vs the 718 GT4 ~ 3,300 @ 420HP = 7.8 lb/HP. It maybe closer than many think given the new aero package on the GT4. . Certainly will be fun finding out.
Lots of speculation on the curb weight of a C8, but I haven't read any as high as 3700 lbs. Not sure where you got the 3700 lbs for the ZR1. The correct curb weight of a ZR1 is 3560 lbs, and the C7 base is 3347 lbs. Based on the sources I've read, the C8 will have a curb weight between 3325 and 3350 lbs. If the higher range is used, that comes to 6.7 lb/HP. Even if take a curb up to 3400 lbs, that would yield 6.8 lb/HP. From Porsche USA the cub weight of a GT4 is 3199 lbs and it has 414 HP. So 3199/414 = 7.73 lb/HP. So the GT4 will have one lb /HP deficit compared to the C8, if 3350 lb curb weight is used. Although the GT4 will undoubtedly have a superior suspension to the C8, that's a lot to overcome. MT vs DCT will make the hill even harder to climb. So it will come down to the GT4's braking and corner speed advantages, since the C8 will likely be able to out-accelerate a GT4. I'd love to see both of these cars with Cup tires compete on a track like Watkins Glen.

Bottom line is that competition is always good, and consumers will always benefit.
Old 07-06-2019, 11:53 AM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by Chester7
Agree. That kind of power for that price is a bargain.
I cross shopped 718 CGTS, Corvette Grand Sport and 981 GT4, as many have. I did end up with the CGTS, primarliy because I have a steep driveway. I would have gotten a 981 GT4 with paint to sample green or orange otherwise.
A friend of mine has a 981 GT4 and a steep driveway. He bought an inexpensive driveway ramp which solved his problem. I think he bought it for a little over $100. So something to consider if you like the 718 GT4.
Old 07-06-2019, 12:13 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,021 Likes on 647 Posts

ZR1 weight from Car and Driver instrumented test - 3671lbs or there about 😀

As in corner weight scaled as opposed to manufactures BS👍
Old 07-06-2019, 12:32 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Have you not popped the hood on a Porsche? The engine compartment is filled with cheap crappy plastic components everywhere, most of which will fail the day after the warranty expires.
Ok. Now you've lost me. Please name the modern Porsche’s you’ve owned where you can ‘pop the hood’ and see anything non-trivial.

As for the Fantastic Plastic: CarChick bought a C5 Z06 new. It spent it’s first 20k-ish miles going to and from DEs almost exclusively. Most reliable car we’ve ever owned. It has had one issue that was warranty. One interior component issue I fixed myself. Many sets of pads, rotors and tires. But that’s it.

Interior is cheap feeling, cheap looking and cheaply snap-to-fit. Seats are horrible. On the highway it’s a handful to drive. In the rain it’s scary.

C6 wasn’t different enough to draw our attention. Decision made on C6 after 3-days of Spring Mountain.

C7 was a lot better. Seats better: not horrible just mediocre. Exterior looks too ‘shouty.’ Interior is still ‘corporate’ and covering everything in ‘fine Nappa Leather’ is lipstick on a pig.

Still, for a 100% pure toy car that’s for pleasure only and doesn’t get used like a normal car, it’s not possible to beat the fun-to-dollar ratio or performance-numbers-to-dollar ratio of the corvette.

Last edited by worf928; 07-06-2019 at 11:14 PM.
Old 07-06-2019, 02:02 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by groundhog
ZR1 weight from Car and Driver instrumented test - 3671lbs or there about 😀

As in corner weight scaled as opposed to manufactures BS👍
To be fair I'm going by the manufactures' BS for both the Corvette and Porsche.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:58 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 589 Likes on 291 Posts

I know that some of you have owned Corvettes in the past, I have had Corvettes for over 40 years. I still have a 2015 Z51 Vette along with a 718 CGTS and 718 Boxster. ALL car manufacturers have had recalls, equipment failures and problems. Is a Corvette a perfect car? No. But then neither is Porsche. Or any other car manufacturer for that matter. My 100K CGTS has a plastic dash because I did not want to spend 5K for a leather dash and deviated stitching and chose to spend the money on other options. My CGTS has become my go to car, I truly love every minute I spend driving it. The Corvette is still a very good car that has had very few problems. I can still do my own oil changes on the Vette and reset the maintenance alert. The 718’s not so much. I do believe the build quality of the Porsche is better.

I spent a lot of time at Porsche dealerships looking at a display where they had milled the PDK shifter from a solid billet block in four sections from rough block to polished piece. I kept looking at it because it made me realize that no matter how good Chevy builds the Corvette they are not going to spend the time and money to make a shifter of equal quality. I am hoping the same quality extends through out both of my Porsche’s.

The new C8 Corvette has taken a very long time to reach this point. The first Mid Engine Corvette was prototyped in the mid 60’s and it has been an on and off project numerous times. Having had Corvettes for many years, I have learned not to buy first year models and this one has had its problems coming to term. When the early problems get sorted out, it should be a hell of a car. I’m still not sure it will have Porsche’s build quality but... they did use several Porsche’s during the development process as their benchmark vehicles.

I know that this is a Porsche forum and not a Corvette forum however I do believe we are all car enthusiasts and like cars that put smiles on our faces. Corvettes and Porsche’s should be able to do that before everything becomes electric. Drive safe.
michael818 (07-22-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 09:11 AM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by OldJedi
I know that some of you have owned Corvettes in the past, I have had Corvettes for over 40 years. I still have a 2015 Z51 Vette along with a 718 CGTS and 718 Boxster. ALL car manufacturers have had recalls, equipment failures and problems. Is a Corvette a perfect car? No. But then neither is Porsche. Or any other car manufacturer for that matter. My 100K CGTS has a plastic dash because I did not want to spend 5K for a leather dash and deviated stitching and chose to spend the money on other options. My CGTS has become my go to car, I truly love every minute I spend driving it. The Corvette is still a very good car that has had very few problems. I can still do my own oil changes on the Vette and reset the maintenance alert. The 718’s not so much. I do believe the build quality of the Porsche is better.

I spent a lot of time at Porsche dealerships looking at a display where they had milled the PDK shifter from a solid billet block in four sections from rough block to polished piece. I kept looking at it because it made me realize that no matter how good Chevy builds the Corvette they are not going to spend the time and money to make a shifter of equal quality. I am hoping the same quality extends through out both of my Porsche’s.

The new C8 Corvette has taken a very long time to reach this point. The first Mid Engine Corvette was prototyped in the mid 60’s and it has been an on and off project numerous times. Having had Corvettes for many years, I have learned not to buy first year models and this one has had its problems coming to term. When the early problems get sorted out, it should be a hell of a car. I’m still not sure it will have Porsche’s build quality but... they did use several Porsche’s during the development process as their benchmark vehicles.

I know that this is a Porsche forum and not a Corvette forum however I do believe we are all car enthusiasts and like cars that put smiles on our faces. Corvettes and Porsche’s should be able to do that before everything becomes electric. Drive safe.
My first sports car was a Corvette C2 split window which I loved. About the only problem that I had was with the paint adhering to the fiber glass, So I had many areas near the fenders where the paint was damaged from stone hits. I chose the Corvette over the 911 because of price: the C2 with discount was $4900 whereas the 911 was nearly $7000. I'm more of a performance guy than an aesthetics guy. If there were an internet back then I'm certain that posters would have derided the Corvette's build quality, but what impressed me was the C2's 350 HP engine; I believe the 911 back then had around 200 HP. So after nearly five decades nothing much has changed when comparing the two sports cars.
Bottom line is that I'm happy that Corvette is still an option. I expect that there are still guys around like the me of fifty years ago who have to stretch their budget to afford a Corvette. I just hope that GM doesn't price the C8 so high to make it unaffordable to that group.
Old 07-07-2019, 12:38 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Received 763 Likes on 378 Posts

This might be a good time to have another look at an old thread that I started called “Dear Porsche”
Old 07-07-2019, 06:11 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 589 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
My first sports car was a Corvette C2 split window which I loved. About the only problem that I had was with the paint adhering to the fiber glass, So I had many areas near the fenders where the paint was damaged from stone hits. I chose the Corvette over the 911 because of price: the C2 with discount was $4900 whereas the 911 was nearly $7000. I'm more of a performance guy than an aesthetics guy. If there were an internet back then I'm certain that posters would have derided the Corvette's build quality, but what impressed me was the C2's 350 HP engine; I believe the 911 back then had around 200 HP. So after nearly five decades nothing much has changed when comparing the two sports cars.
Bottom line is that I'm happy that Corvette is still an option. I expect that there are still guys around like the me of fifty years ago who have to stretch their budget to afford a Corvette. I just hope that GM doesn't price the C8 so high to make it unaffordable to that group.
The 327/350HP small block engine was a sweetheart of an engine. Great torque and free revving. The C2 models (Midyears 63-67) will always be classic cars. I had a couple of them, a 427 big block and a 327 small block. They were a lot smaller when compared to the current C7 model. No different I guess than the early 911’s to the current 991.2. Both Chevy and Porsche have come a long way in their sport car development. Forty years ago it would have been impossible to be believe that cars would be making over 500HP and getting over 30 MPG.

The first thoughts were to build the C7 alongside the C8 and keep a $60,000 Corvette (C7) and have the ME C8 start at about $100,000. Somewhere along the way the decision was made to just go with the C8 Mid Engine Vette only. That pretty much guaranteed that it had to start below 100K. I do not be believe it will start in the $60,000 range for the base C8, however I do believe it will start in the low $70’s for the base model.

Strong competition between the auto makers helps to make better cars for all of us. Strong competition on the track helps to make better cars. Although I have to admit that I wish the Porsche’s would stop knocking the Corvettes off the track and let them compete. I know, I could not help myself!

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new corvette?