Notices
View Poll Results: what do you think?
really clean, nice looking Vette....
31.46%
a very different Vette but we'll sure as hell take it.
29.84%
i'll be ordering one soon.......
17.72%
No thank you
20.98%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on the new corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 01:34 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
except the Z06 will overheat after one lap while the RS goes all day long.

ZR1 without supercharged engine vs GT3 would be interesting, though I hope Corvette has also figured out how to keep a ME track car cool.

Would be a shame if all C8 cars overheat on the track, not just the Z06!
one of my friends tracks a C7 z06 heavily, only one issue in the last few years related to the power steering over heating for which GM had fix (extra air duct). this is the North East so maybe our weather is not as extreme but it gets pretty hot and humid @ NJMP In August. the car is manual, I do believe the automatics are more problematic.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:37 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 757 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by mchrono
were you promised a slot at MSRP? This will be interesting to watch..........
I walked into the chevy dealer by work and asked about the C8. Theyre like, youre the first guy to ask and if you want one its probably under list. Guys, this is a mass produced car. In 1 year they will crank out as many stingrays as the entire 991.2 range for like all 3 years. Dont pay any ADM on this
Old 07-20-2019, 01:40 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I hope they put a cooler or two on it. It would be shame for another fail - I know a lot of people who will never try a corvette again after the debacle with the Z06.

Looks like a GT4 + 300 lbs for half the price, too bad no manual.
I'm a vette racer and know full well the needs for cooling. In fact about the only streetcar closest to track ready is the GT3. Every other streetcar for track duty needs more cooling. The Z06 needed a lot of it and it was an easy issue to solve. LGmotorsports a known Vette tuner and racer solved those issues on his 1st attempt. Yes you have to pay for it but there is a bolt on quick proven solution. The problem with the Z06 is that limp mode came in so few laps with highly varied driver skill as opposed to the grandsport version which took a better driver to overheat it.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:41 PM
Sporty
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 291 Posts

Lets be real. I love my 911, but Porsches are overpriced and the quality is not all that much better . Bore scoring, IMS, water pumps, interior parts with crappy finishes that flake off or scratch, soft paint...etc. Lets compare a $130k 911 with a 65k Vette on all aspects collectively and objectively. That being said, we are paying for the exclusivity and panache that the 911 has over the Vette...the Porsche marketing machine knew what they were doing from the start.
The following 3 users liked this post by Sporty:
DIYDanCars (07-30-2019), handful (07-22-2019), Noah Fect (07-20-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 01:47 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Styling is meh. Too NSX. Maybe it looks better in person.

I expect later versions will have improved styling cues and Z06 package will be a force to be reckoned with and tremendous value.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:48 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
Just reserved.
But need to loose the "3 season performance tires".

The Z51 Package is for track enthusiasts looking for the ultimate expression of Stingray performance.

• Michelin® PS4 Performance 3 Season tires†
  • Standard FE3 Performance Suspension
  • Available FE4 Suspension with Magnetic Ride Control™
  • Larger 345 mm front and 350 mm rear brake rotors
  • Extra cooling with additional rear-mounted third radiator
  • Electronic Limited-Slip Differential
  • Larger rear spoiler provides up to 400 lbs. of downforce
  • Performance exhaust and intake adds 495 horsepower
  • ^^^^^Adds 495 HP? WTF, must be typo
C'Mon . . . you guys are killing me here!

Congrats !!!
Old 07-20-2019, 01:50 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,266 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
I walked into the chevy dealer by work and asked about the C8. Theyre like, youre the first guy to ask and if you want one its probably under list. Guys, this is a mass produced car. In 1 year they will crank out as many stingrays as the entire 991.2 range for like all 3 years. Dont pay any ADM on this
No intention to pay adm if I get one but was just curious how delusional the dealers are.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:53 PM
Hamstonian
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TEF
If it indeed the 2020 Corvette sells at $60K that's quite a bargain. Moreover, this forum, and reasonably so, relates every car to a Porsche. However, this new Corvette has to represent a major threat to manufacturers of all exotics and sports cars. If Porsche (and that's every model) looks expensive relative to a Corvette, imagine what Ferrari, Lamborghini and McClaren must be thinking. Moreover, the 0-60 figure is based on an ancient push rod engine. I recall reading that Chevy intends to introduce a line a overhead cam engines in the near future. Granted this will likely increase the Corvette's cost by maybe $20K (to $80K), but even at that price one now only gets a well-optioned four-cylinder Cayman.
I agree that it poses a risk to a lot of manufacturers, but probably an opportunity in the long run. This has the potential to bring a lot more people into the high performance sports car market. We need the market to grow to have more options at the end of the day.

In the short run, it creates brutal math. I have a deposit down for a 718 Spyder. I have a 981 Spyder. The 981 is heavily optioned and I love it. Similarly optioned 718 comes in at just under 130k. I would probably get around 80k on a trade. So a 50k delta for a car I may like marginally better. I can’t imagine not being much happier keeping the 981 Spyder and spending an extra 10 grand and having the Vette too.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:54 PM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by n d
Sorry if this is posted somewhere else!

look like a cheap knockoff ....

Also my wife wife just got the new gwagon what an amazing truck much better then the Range Rover.... we got the g550 would rather have the 63 but didn’t want to pay over sticker!
Till it blows by you.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:55 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
+1. They will be MASS produced just like every other Vette. You will see them all over and in mall parking lots all across the country within a year.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:57 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

This is the 5th+ RL thread I found on the C8. It will be a game changer for any street/track car maker, including Porsche, and they will be sure to take notice. Something to be said about a new $70k, 500hp, mid-engine V8, DCT, height adjustable coilovers car with warranty that you can flog on the track, drive back home and take it to any Chevy dealer for maintenance at Chevy parts/labor cost.

A year from now, after they work out the kinks, they'll be $10k off msrp to order or new from the lot as GM will make a sh*t-ton of them -- all good stuff.

The ext/int design could have been less angular and better, but no one's perfect and I believe darker colors will moderate the angularity and the dark plastic contrasts. Fender gaps could be minimized by lowering the Z51 coilover suspension.
The following users liked this post:
robmypro (07-20-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 01:59 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
I've never been a Vette fan but I must say there's nothing out there that comes close to this for 60K! Nothing!
This car is cheaper than a base Cayman with a 4 cyl turbo. Simply amazing spec for the price, and naturally aspirated to boot. Only bummer for me is the dated pushrod V8, but can't have everything. Can't wait to see it in person and read a real review.
Old 07-20-2019, 02:00 PM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by n d
Since when is a 12 second 1/4 great performance? Sorry but I see a pig with lipstick!
And your the reason Porsche people have their reputation.Hey but you got a cool G-Wagon.
The following 2 users liked this post by Billy Wyatt:
handful (07-21-2019), porschedood5000 (07-21-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 02:06 PM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
+1. They will be MASS produced just like every other Vette. You will see them all over and in mall parking lots all across the country within a year.
Amen, nothing wrong with that... USA engineering kick a$$
You mean like we see MB G-wagen's or Range Rover Sports or ....
Old 07-20-2019, 02:06 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Is it me or does the track package sound like the preferred street package?

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new corvette?