Notices
View Poll Results: what do you think?
really clean, nice looking Vette....
31.46%
a very different Vette but we'll sure as hell take it.
29.84%
i'll be ordering one soon.......
17.72%
No thank you
20.98%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on the new corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 06:52 PM
Closertotruth
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe GM will fly the reviewers to the Cayman Islands (Porsche style) to kick start the process. LOL ...[/QUOTE]
Pretty funny! Lol
Old 08-10-2019, 09:13 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

If this review is any indication of what's to come on the C8, will be a winner ..

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...r-of-the-year/

Name:  photo377.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  1.18 MBName:  photo543.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  715.7 KB

Leno:

Thanks for the link Rob. Nice purchase by the way too:

https://rennlist.com/forums/other-ma...y-money-2.html

Last edited by STG; 08-10-2019 at 10:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Caustic (08-11-2019)
Old 08-10-2019, 10:32 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Best theoretical acceleration for the C8.

Old 08-10-2019, 12:26 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by bertram928
I think even GM would know it is futile to market in a Porsche Forum , witness the Aerospace Engineers, Material Scientists, structural Engineers have left the discussion, with only the Flat Earth Society remaining I am outa here, I thought i was doing a good deed for fellow car enthusiasts, spending time gathering up info that i thought to be of interest, if these 5 enthusiasts are not welcome here, my time better spent elsewhere.

Don't bother thanking me for not bumping up page views
Originally Posted by STG
You are doing a service to many here who just view the thread without posting. Continue posting any info you find. Don't let the "other few" hecklers scare you off.
This—^
Old 08-10-2019, 12:31 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
How long are the equivalent threads on the forums for Mustangs, Camaros, BMWs, Ferraris, various Japanese cars, and so forth?

While the C8 is an interesting car, and worthy of a second look by all, my guess is that the length of this thread has more to do with customer frustration with Porsche's endless game-playing than with any real or imagined merits of the C8.

That is why Porsche should be concerned. Not because of the unlikely possibility that GM has somehow managed to build a better sports car than Porsche... but because of the fact that people WISH they would.
I don't know man... I think many factors are playing into it, including your typical Porsche dealer complete BS with the GT allocations

But also in this day and age where displacement is falling, FI/hybrid/both replacing NA, to get a mid engine NA sports car @ 60K MSRP is novel/refreshing and almost seems in spite of the trend. I've seen the C8 pop up against used 458, against 718, against GT cars, against NSX, against other Corvettes, a ton of other sports cars here, on FerrariChat, on reddit, just discussions with car enthusiasts. It's a car that is now being compared against so many other options (whether valid or not)

So I think it has definitely opened eyes for car enthusiasts, and maybe pushes other marques to pay attention and find ways to deliver cool cars that enthusiasts want

Originally Posted by BryanCO
Only 59 pages. STG, you had better get to work.
lol on my desktop on chrome I'm seeing 160 pages now...

Originally Posted by Closertotruth
Not surprising 2019 C7 sales are low. Folks were waiting for the C8 unveiling.
what's funny is that now that the C8 is out (and I love the ethos of the car), I find the C7 to be the much better looking gen. And prior to the C8 coming out, I didn't think much of the C7! YMMV

Caustic (08-11-2019)
Old 08-10-2019, 01:34 PM
Caustic
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
But also in this day and age where displacement is falling, FI/hybrid/both replacing NA, to get a mid engine NA sports car @ 60K MSRP is novel/refreshing and almost seems in spite of the trend. I've seen the C8 pop up against used 458, against 718, against GT cars, against NSX, against other Corvettes, a ton of other sports cars here, on FerrariChat, on reddit, just discussions with car enthusiasts. It's a car that is now being compared against so many other options (whether valid or not)

So I think it has definitely opened eyes for car enthusiasts, and maybe pushes other marques to pay attention and find ways to deliver cool cars that enthusiasts want
This is exactly right.

Originally Posted by STG
If this review is any indication of what's to come on the C8, will be a winner ..

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...r-of-the-year/
I haven't read R&T in a long time. That was great and brought me back to when I had decades long subscriptions. Good stuff.
Old 08-10-2019, 01:37 PM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
...You mention handling, balance, and grip. Let's see how the cars perform on the track, and how their times compare.
Originally Posted by BlueNorther
How about a review from an experienced unaffiliated driver that has actually driven one?
The C8 is finally on the precipice of actually being driven and evaluated by (fingers crossed) a qualified and fair minded third party.

The Ron Fellows Driving School at Spring Mountain AZ just got a shipment of pre-production units. Likely were test units.

"Unaffiliated", not so much. But I've never heard anyone call the guys at Ron Fellows a bunch of shills for GM.

So... I think we're about to get some real factual data from qualified individuals that have done more than drive the C8 a few feet at a walking pace.

Originally Posted by Bemo
I'm still scratching my head at the thought of a ~$60k mid engine car with, NA V8 no less, about a foot behind my years.
While neither GM nor Porsche are perfect, such an accomplishment should be celebrated not admonished!
Shame on all of us, as car enthusiasts, if we fail to acknowledge the significance of this achievement.
I say this as a proud Porsche and a BMW enthusiast owner who has no axe to grind...
Hell no!

I refuse to celebrate an over hyped Marketing Campaign.
If the C8 fixes the long list of known issues with the C7, then it will deserve my praise.

I'll celebrate it for WHAT IT IS, not what it is ON PAPER or in some shiny magazine.

I can hardly wait to pull up next to a C8 at an empty stoplight while driving my Viper.
I can get to 60mph in 1st gear. 90mph in 2nd gear.
Off the line, I've given a few motorcycle cafe racer dudes a serious run for their money.
I can hardly wait!
Old 08-10-2019, 02:51 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 902 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanCrush
The C8 is finally on the precipice of actually being driven and evaluated by (fingers crossed) a qualified and fair minded third party.

The Ron Fellows Driving School at Spring Mountain AZ just got a shipment of pre-production units. Likely were test units.

"Unaffiliated", not so much. But I've never heard anyone call the guys at Ron Fellows a bunch of shills for GM.

So... I think we're about to get some real factual data from qualified individuals that have done more than drive the C8 a few feet at a walking pace.

Hell no!

I refuse to celebrate an over hyped Marketing Campaign.
If the C8 fixes the long list of known issues with the C7, then it will deserve my praise.

I'll celebrate it for WHAT IT IS, not what it is ON PAPER or in some shiny magazine.

I can hardly wait to pull up next to a C8 at an empty stoplight while driving my Viper.
I can get to 60mph in 1st gear. 90mph in 2nd gear.
Off the line, I've given a few motorcycle cafe racer dudes a serious run for their money.
I can hardly wait!
lol

"over hyped marketing campaign" ???

I watch a lot of sports television and have yet to see ONE ad for one.

They did the launch and let the price, specs and looks do all the work for them.

This car broke the internet like no car has ever done!!! Nothing even comes close.

It is the most talked about car on every car forum out there right now....for about three weeks straight.

I've never been a Chevy fan......I sold my NSX yesterday and I blame the C8

I still may end up in something else, like an R8 maybe even a 981 Cayman S, but I respect the hell out of what GM did with this car and will have one someday soon.

btw, what is this long list of issues with the C7?
Old 08-10-2019, 03:51 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,277 Likes on 766 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX
btw, what is this long list of issues with the C7?
Too funny.

For starters the A8 transmission was a marvel of engineering.

I have no doubt their new DCT won't disappoint either.
CaymanCarver (08-11-2019)
Old 08-10-2019, 04:19 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 902 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by .2PDK
Too funny.

ok, so there is one thing .... not a vette expert, what else is wrong?

Is the list any longer or worse than the issues Porsches and Vipers have had throughout the years?
Old 08-10-2019, 09:44 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 292 Posts

Z06 had some overheat problems? But no self igniting engines like 2014 GT3? I reserved a build with GM the day after unveiling, went to chosen dealer next day. What? Let me get somebody. "Somebody guy" knew jakchit. Got an email from GM saying dealer will be in touch. Crickets. Drove Lizard Green to dealer a few days ago, covered in OPR. Wanted to let then know I am serious. Just about every employee left their spot to take pics in the lot. Spoke with the same guy again. Same jakschit answer. Nothing.
My guess is that this dealer will not be getting any C8s. Looked online at their Corvette inventory. Nothing. Looked at a dealer only a few miler farther away and they had a load of them. Went to that dealer today. They are getting 100+ C8s and I am like #31. Early spring delivery. Built, deposit paid. More info to me in coming weeks and plenty of time to change my build.
The C8 is porky with torque.
thebishman (08-11-2019)
Old 08-11-2019, 12:32 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by .2PDK
Too funny.

Yea man, still no words on the impact of the C8 AFM on that new DCT or how that issue is being addressed.
I'm actually rooting for Tremec/Hoerbiger on this one, but I'm afraid things are out of their control.

Is the list any longer or worse than the issues Porsches and Vipers have had throughout the years?
You owe it to yourself to switch to the Corvette Forum and find out for yourself.. before throwing down for the C8.
Old 08-11-2019, 03:06 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,034 Likes on 5,242 Posts

View this post on Instagram
Old 08-11-2019, 07:40 AM
.2PDK
Race Car

I'm assuming you're not new to the internet therefore search yourself, you shall find what you seek.

If possible long term issues with a new DCT transmission under GM rule doesn't keep you on the sidelines for a while then by all means, go to town.

I prefer to be cautious is all. If it proves to be PDK like in durability then I will take a serious look.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:44 AM
.2PDK
Race Car

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
Z06 had some overheat problems? But no self igniting engines like 2014 GT3?
Overheating in Z06 was/is an issue but pales in comparison to GT3 booms.

I'd be patient is all, why is everyone in such a rush to buy a GM?

I guess I like to quantify risk too much, the banker in me...

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new corvette?