Notices
View Poll Results: what do you think?
really clean, nice looking Vette....
31.46%
a very different Vette but we'll sure as hell take it.
29.84%
i'll be ordering one soon.......
17.72%
No thank you
20.98%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on the new corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 07:46 AM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,243 Likes on 751 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanCrush

Yea man, still no words on the impact of the C8 AFM on that new DCT or how that issue is being addressed.
I'm actually rooting for Tremec/Hoerbiger on this one, but I'm afraid things are out of their control.
Time will tell all.

I'm hoping if there are widespread issues they're a little more pro active in the fix.
The following users liked this post:
CaymanCarver (08-11-2019)
Old 08-11-2019, 08:12 AM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Extra wide and extra long sports car with long wheelbase on narrow twisty road (see also post 76 of this thread way way above). Should've been driving a Boxster/Cayman

Odd that only the passenger side airbag deployed, at least that's what the picture looks like.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:44 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by .2PDK
Overheating in Z06 was/is an issue but pales in comparison to GT3 booms.

I'd be patient is all, why is everyone in such a rush to buy a GM?

I guess I like to quantify risk too much, the banker in me...
After seeing one in person, I can understand why just from the appearance. Porsche 911s have been around forever, and most people don't even turn their heads when one drives by. The same will apply to the C8 in a couple of years, but that's not the case now. Upon seeing a C8 99.9% of drivers will believe that some rare exotic has just passed by. OTOH if you aren't an attention seeker, there's no reason to rush, and many to delay purchase for at least a couple of years.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:02 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

I think buyers are well equipped to decide for themselves how to spend their own money ... LOL ...

Don't think they'll base their decision on the Rennlist "experts" .... go read up on many of the Porsche issues on the boards here right up to the 992 and the rest of the bread and butter models.

Funny how any GT issue is written off as "because a race car". LOL ... actually they aren't race cars. More like capable track street cars.

** can anyone explain why no C8 talk is allowed on the whole forum except the basement here?? McLaren, etc ... are all fair game. The C8 is policed better than Epstein on here. Have never seen anything like this in all my time on RL. This car has definitely struck a nerve with the competition. Wait until the other variants also come out. It really exposes how many import buyers are getting gouged on MSRP's. Porsche has pushed the envelope so much and it's starting to get noticed.
The following 2 users liked this post by STG:
GT3FZS (08-18-2019), porschedood5000 (08-14-2019)
Old 08-11-2019, 11:10 AM
.2PDK
Race Car

Originally Posted by fast1
After seeing one in person, I can understand why just from the appearance. Porsche 911s have been around forever, and most people don't even turn their heads when one drives by. The same will apply to the C8 in a couple of years, but that's not the case now. Upon seeing a C8 99.9% of drivers will believe that some rare exotic has just passed by. OTOH if you aren't an attention seeker, there's no reason to rush, and many to delay purchase for at least a couple of years.
This is exactly what happened when the almighty Fiero was launched.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:19 AM
.2PDK
Race Car

Originally Posted by STG
I think buyers are well equipped to decide for themselves how to spend their own money ... LOL ...
Approximately 175 thousand 996 owners are a testament to that.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:22 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,529 Likes on 5,056 Posts

Old 08-11-2019, 11:27 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 246 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Don't think they'll base their decision on the Rennlist "experts" ....
Agreed, don't listen to us. Take it to the Corvette Forum and elsewhere and do the research.
IIRC, he was also interested in the R8.. same diff. Go the R8 and other exotic Forums.

Originally Posted by STG
** can anyone explain why no C8 talk is allowed on the whole forum except the basement here?? McLaren, etc ... are all fair game. The C8 is policed better than Epstein on here. Have never seen anything like this in all my time on RL. This car has definitely struck a nerve with the competition. Wait until the other variants also come out. It really exposes how many import buyers are getting gouged on MSRP's. Porsche has pushed the envelope so much and it's starting to get noticed.
Um.. because the C8 is still nothing but (1)a marketing campaign and (2)has no real data and (3)comes pre-loaded with speculation. Maybe after we get some hard factual information that'll change..?

"Nerves struck" is just wishful thinking.
Porsche is not shaking in its boots and you can bet they are completely prepared to wait this out for more factual data.
If the C8 does NOT live up to all the hype, it might serve to solidify the Porsche position, business practices and values even further.
N' make up your mind, either this thread alone (with its read and post #'s) represents "the threat" or it doesn't.

Just take it to the Corvette Forum and have a blast.

Right now, Spring Mountain is going down. SOME TRUTH.. will no doubt.. set us all free!
Old 08-11-2019, 11:41 AM
Caustic
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
No question, the look of the car is incredible, and you also get a lot out of a base model. But with higher performance variants coming down the line, it pays to wait and see what pans out if you are looking for more.

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX
ok, so there is one thing .... not a vette expert, what else is wrong?

Is the list any longer or worse than the issues Porsches and Vipers have had throughout the years?
Looking at the corvette forums, there wasn't much. Automatic tranny problems was the main issue. Overheating Z06s which were eventually fixed with the '17 model year. Cracking/bending wheels which doesn't seem widespread. Peeling paint issues which should be fixed with the major investment made to the Bowling Green production line.

Doing a search for corvette c7 problems will lead you directly to the corvetteforum, and those users are not quiet about perceived issues. If you can pick the information out of the noise, and there is a lot of noise, it looks to be a wealth of info with a very helpful community.
The following users liked this post:
GT3FZS (08-18-2019)
Old 08-11-2019, 11:43 AM
msdunkel
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
OUCH!

Was that a camera mounted to the roofline of the C8? Be interesting to see THAT video.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:47 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

"Nerves struck" is just wishful thinking. Porsche is not shaking in its boots!
True. If GM wanted to make Porsche shake in its boots, they'd announce a Corvette SUV to go after the Macan market.
The following 2 users liked this post by Noah Fect:
Caustic (08-11-2019), msdunkel (08-11-2019)
Old 08-11-2019, 07:28 PM
Caustic
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
True. If GM wanted to make Porsche shake in its boots, they'd announce a Corvette SUV to go after the Macan market.
This may happen. A corvette branded SUV.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:36 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,448 Likes on 4,110 Posts

Originally Posted by Caustic
This may happen. A corvette branded SUV.
Doubt it. GM already makes a bunch of SUVs under different brands - GMC, Chevy, Buick, etc and likely won't do this. They may make a higher performance SUV but it will be a special edition of the current lines, like the Typhoon was and not have anything to do with the Corvette nameplate.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:56 PM
ZDan
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Admit it. You tried to pin some “gotcha” semantics on me and got caught on a lie or lack of knowledge yourself.
Hint: you will never be "gotcha'd" if you make statements that are factual. But you continually post up OBVIOUSLY false statements.
As for my lack of knowledge, I am certainly no expert, but when someone posts up that people have been talking about 911s for 60 years, I know that is WRONG.

It’s “”DEBATABLE” huh. Except for the, you know, actual well documented reveal of the 901/911 in 1963. Unless you’re referring to a parallel universe designed to save you face?
I don't have much of a face to save... But I do know that exactly NO one was talking about a Porsche 911 in 1963. That's not debatable at all. Hence this statement:
911’s [sic] have had people talking for 60 years.
is objectively FALSE. There was no Porsche 911 in 1963.

But even if we allow the pre-production 901s, 56 years is not 60 years...

And if we do go by production models, for sure it's 55 years.

But anyway, 55 vs. 56 doesn't bother me one way or the other. But the 60 year claim just set my B.S. detector off just like your statement that GM didn't build any WWII tanks did...
Old 08-12-2019, 12:51 AM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 895 Likes on 401 Posts

Agreed, don't listen to us. Take it to the Corvette Forum and elsewhere and do the research.
IIRC, he was also interested in the R8.. same diff. Go the R8 and other exotic Forums.

Um.. because the C8 is still nothing but (1)a marketing campaign and (2)has no real data and (3)comes pre-loaded with speculation. Maybe after we get some hard factual information that'll change..?

"Nerves struck" is just wishful thinking.
Porsche is not shaking in its boots and you can bet they are completely prepared to wait this out for more factual data.
If the C8 does NOT live up to all the hype, it might serve to solidify the Porsche position, business practices and values even further.
N' make up your mind, either this thread alone (with its read and post #'s) represents "the threat" or it doesn't.

Just take it to the Corvette Forum and have a blast.

Right now, Spring Mountain is going down. SOME TRUTH.. will no doubt.. set us all free!
It was a bit of a sarcastic rhetorical question knowing how many problems Porsche themselves have had in recent years

Trust me, I've been on the Corvette forums plenty since 7/18

still may end up trying out a Cayman while the wait time and dust settles on the C8 though.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new corvette?