Notices
View Poll Results: what do you think?
really clean, nice looking Vette....
31.46%
a very different Vette but we'll sure as hell take it.
29.84%
i'll be ordering one soon.......
17.72%
No thank you
20.98%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on the new corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 11:18 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 252 Likes on 171 Posts

Whao, a review from the PASSENGER SEAT. I guess that's progress.
At least they're letting someone else sit in it the while its actually being driven (by Juechter).

N' now its reported to roll up the best attributes of every iconic Porsche every built. Yeah... right...

A little wheel spin though eh? With Juechter at the wheel too. Good to know.
So much for that 0-60 stat!
The Viper and I can hardly wait!
Old 08-13-2019, 11:34 AM
2slow2speed
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanCrush
At least they're letting someone else sit in it the while its actually being driven (by Juechter).

N' now its reported to roll up the best attributes of every iconic Porsche every built. Yeah... right...

Why not your Cayman?

Seriously, loved the 2016 ACR, some folks decided to get that instead of the 981GT4, AFAIK they have not looked back. Shame that they are no longer made
The following users liked this post:
Snakebit10 (08-13-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 11:53 AM
Caustic
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 2slow2speed
From the article:
"The car next to Blackjack is a mule from 2016. This one has the correct dry-sump V8, the correct GM-developed 8-speed dual-clutch transmission, and the next-gen electrical architecture of the production car."

That means they have been testing the engine and tranny for over 2-3 years. This was an interesting read.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:05 PM
Caustic
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

You realize that you will be walked by every C8 you line up with, Z51 or not, right? And when people start throwing cams, exhaust, and wider stickier tires on, all you are going to see are tail lights. I hope your Viper is heavily modded.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:18 PM
JustSlummin'
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default ...in the wet, methinks

The way I read that paragraph, the C8 was still "in the wet" at the point of the throttle stomp, so, some loss of traction for a bit.
...and in the long run, what is the true percentage of folks of any make or model who will take advantage of the Zero to 60 times? Let's face it. It's just bragging rights for most, and even for those who TRY and make those times, probably do it badly!
Just sayin'
The following 2 users liked this post by JustSlummin':
GT3FZS (08-18-2019), Snakebit10 (08-13-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 01:59 PM
2slow2speed
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1

I hear you, but unfortunately the days of small lightweight cars are dead. One problem is that there are so many federally mandated safety requirements that make it all but impossible to get a car under 3K lbs with a NA engine producing a significant amount of HP. Another problem is that people are getting taller and heavier. Just a WAG, but I doubt that many people today could fit into my 1970 Triumph GT6. That car's curb weight was under 2K lbs, and it was tiny. And last but not least is that high end buyers demand luxury even in sports cars. Put this all together and you get a 3354 lb base 992 that will sticker for around $120K, when moderately optioned.
It is kind of interesting that enthusiasts keep going round and round regarding what they want vs what Porsche has delivered:

An old thread from 2001 right here on rennlist:

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...d-old-one.html

Originally Posted by Arthur
I've always wondered why Porsche doesn't bring back into production the 911S from the early 70's. Is the engine THAT difficult to reproduce? I can't imagine it being more expensive or less profitable than a 3.6 motor. Why doesn't the company make a 2.7 liter that can pump out 300 HP and put it into a kevlar-bodied 911S body? I remember seeing a brand new orange Vasek Pollack 917 built ENTIRELY from spare parts in one of the concours events recently.

Originally Posted by Robert Henriksen
Two words: government regulations.

More words: emmisions requirements, crashworthiness, dual airbags, blah blah blah...

Originally Posted by DJ
Yep. It would end up weighing 3000 pounds, making 250 hp, and it would sound like a Lexus.

Originally Posted by Super Space Monkey
Honda S2000 meets all gov regs. 2000cc, 240hp, weighs alot less than 3000lbs. Porsche could do it, but they would rather sell luxo cruisers these days.

Originally Posted by E.J. 993 I Alumni
240hp + 160lb/ft torque = NO THANK YOU!

Originally Posted by James Achard
Hmmmm..The biggest reason is that there too busy designing cupholders for 911's and making SUV's. While I agree that it would be nice to have a cool semi retro car out of Zuffenhausen, that is not anywhere on their agenda. I feel that there efforts should be put back into racing which is what got them where they are today.

James
Old 08-13-2019, 02:07 PM
Snakebit10
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I hear you but according to your sig you don't have the 2016 ACR Viper so I think this C8 will give your older Viper a BIG problem.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:19 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by 2slow2speed
It is kind of interesting that enthusiasts keep going round and round regarding what they want vs what Porsche has delivered:

An old thread from 2001 right here on rennlist:

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...d-old-one.html[/color]

Porsche is a mass car producer. These "enthusiast" cars wouldn't be big sellers. They can barely increase 911 sales as is to the mass market.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:28 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by rlhyde
At the end of the day it is still a Corvette.

And in my mind that is not good. There is, no doubt, a reason why they keep changing it. The American automobile industry just can't see the difference between a sophisticated, well tuned sports car and a muscle car. To me, the Corvette is a muscle car and nothing more.
Your post is indicative of someone who doesn't spend a lot of time on tracks. I do and believe me a Z06 is a hell of a lot more than a muscle car.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:54 PM
ZDan
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
I hear you, but unfortunately the days of small lightweight cars are dead.
If Mazda can build a fun 2400 lb sports car, so can Porsche, and they should...
The following 2 users liked this post by ZDan:
GT3FZS (08-18-2019), porschedood5000 (08-14-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 05:18 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDan
If Mazda can build a fun 2400 lb sports car, so can Porsche, and they should...
Sure they can, but how many Porsche buyers want a 180HP car that does a 5.7 sec 0-60? The statement in my post which you quoted was in response to a lightweight car with a 911 engine. So we are talking about an engine with double the HP of a Miata. I really love the Miata, but I wouldn't consider buying one because it would be far too risky to drive in my area. I live in the country where a typical vehicle is a 4500 lb+ SUV or truck. Add distracted drivers with cell phones to the mix, and you have a scenario where a Miata is not the best choice, at least not where I live. My 2950 lb 981BS is about as small as I want to go. Now for the track, it would be something to consider but I'm happy with my 991 GT3.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:02 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,301 Likes on 886 Posts

It's not that easy. Everything starts in the engine compartment. The reason Miatas can be that light is because they have a tiny, crappy engine that doesn't put out any power. The engine doesn't weigh much, and because it doesn't put out any power, the rest of the drivetrain also doesn't need to weigh much. Because there's not much power and because the car is so small, the suspension and chassis components can also be downsized.

Want a 500 HP V8 that can haul around more golf clubs than a whole Secret Service platoon with carts rented from Mar-A-Lago? Then you get a Corvette, a sports car with a footprint as big as an SUV.

Want a 180 HP car that doesn't even have a glovebox, and that will be flattened by soccer moms in minivans, figuratively and perhaps literally? Then you get a Miata, a sports car whose time has come and (apparently) gone, judging by sales.

Want a 500 HP Miata? That's not going to happen, because it can't be sold at a price anyone would be willing to pay.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:05 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,455 Likes on 2,359 Posts

One can drop a V8 in a Miata, which has been done a lot, and with a tune the Fiat 124 will fly (I had one for a little while as a daily driver).
Old 08-13-2019, 07:07 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,301 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
One can drop a V8 in a Miata, which has been done a lot, and with a tune the Fiat 124 will fly (I had one for a little while as a daily driver).
Yeah, but that's a science fair project, not a mass-produced commercial product.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:34 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
It's not that easy. Everything starts in the engine compartment. The reason Miatas can be that light is because they have a tiny, crappy engine that doesn't put out any power. The engine doesn't weigh much, and because it doesn't put out any power, the rest of the drivetrain also doesn't need to weigh much. Because there's not much power and because the car is so small, the suspension and chassis components can also be downsized.

Want a 500 HP V8 that can haul around more golf clubs than a whole Secret Service platoon with carts rented from Mar-A-Lago? Then you get a Corvette, a sports car with a footprint as big as an SUV.

Want a 180 HP car that doesn't even have a glovebox, and that will be flattened by soccer moms in minivans, figuratively and perhaps literally? Then you get a Miata, a sports car whose time has come and (apparently) gone, judging by sales.

Want a 500 HP Miata? That's not going to happen, because it can't be sold at a price anyone would be willing to pay.
You obviously have zero clue about the Miata!

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new corvette?