Notices
View Poll Results: what do you think?
really clean, nice looking Vette....
31.46%
a very different Vette but we'll sure as hell take it.
29.84%
i'll be ordering one soon.......
17.72%
No thank you
20.98%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on the new corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 10:40 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by 2slow2speed
Looks great

Have you had a chance to sign up for the free Ron Fellows ZR1 school?
https://www.springmountainmotorsport...-owners-school
Always good to be able to beat up someone else's ZR1 at the track
Thanks! Not yet. Figure we will do the school in March. Definitely like the idea of their car, and not mine!
Old 08-22-2019, 11:45 AM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Funny, i went through exactly the same process, looking at 430 (Scud), 458, and really thinking about getting a C8. Then i went the other direction and got this instead. Manual ZR1 fully loaded for $10k off sticker. The thing is STUPID fast. Reminds me of an old school muscle car in some ways.

Wait! You're still putting 100k miles on your GT3 right?
Old 08-22-2019, 12:00 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by bk_911
Wait! You're still putting 100k miles on your GT3 right?
Still trying! Just over 33k miles now.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:37 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,747 Likes on 5,128 Posts

As much positive press and publicity the C8 has received, there are apparently quite a few Chevy dealers that are actually seeing spiked demand for the C7 models, and are actually running low on C7 stock.

Apparently, not all Corvette fans are as enamored with the C8 as hoi polloi are.
The following users liked this post:
CaymanCarver (08-23-2019)
Old 08-22-2019, 05:15 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
As much positive press and publicity the C8 has received, there are apparently quite a few Chevy dealers that are actually seeing spiked demand for the C7 models, and are actually running low on C7 stock.

Apparently, not all Corvette fans are as enamored with the C8 as hoi polloi are.
Here is a data point. About 3 weeks ago there were 42 new manual ZR1s available on Autotrader. Now there are 18. I am sure the extra $9,500 off msrp helped. The problem now is finding the right spec. I also visited three dealers here in Colorado. One had zero C7 vettes, one had 2, and the other had 5. So not that many around.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:09 PM
Caustic
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Its the end of an era of front engine and manual Corvettes. If there were any vette faithful with C4 through C6 looking for an upgrade, now is the time because the future is vastly different. There also were probably a number of people who were on the fence about buying their first vette, and made the leap to a C7 because they didn't like the C8.

As time rolls on, I think that will change though. C7s will make their way back to dealers and used car lots as per usual.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:50 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Caustic
Its the end of an era of front engine and manual Corvettes. If there were any vette faithful with C4 through C6 looking for an upgrade, now is the time because the future is vastly different. There also were probably a number of people who were on the fence about buying their first vette, and made the leap to a C7 because they didn't like the C8.

As time rolls on, I think that will change though. C7s will make their way back to dealers and used car lots as per usual.
I expect when C8 deliveries begin, Dealers lots will be full of C7s used as trade-ins on C8s.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:30 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

Just that many are taking a look at Corvette again and realizing the C7 is a great one as well.

All the C8 publicity is helping the C7, especially the manual.

The C8 will be a HUGE success.
Closertotruth (08-22-2019)
Old 08-22-2019, 08:32 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanCrush

STG falling down on the job man! No surprise...

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2...tingray-price/

A little price hike, who cares. Bargain of the century.

Porsche raises prices yearly on everything and are close to hitting Mars.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:12 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

From my observations, plenty of Vette faithful are turned off by the C8. Majority showing fanaticism are those who wouldn’t have pulled the trigger on a Vette before. I think that explains the C7 boost, as does (and more importantly) the big discounts it’s seeing.

Once the C8 becomes normalized and is all over the place, the C7 will likely be the true ‘performance bargain of the century’ with its depreciated pricing. Unless the C8 proves to be a lesser car and unpopular once people get used to it, then the C7 could become a relic of the “OG Vette era.”

Most likely the C8 will be the best driving Vette and should sell in higher numbers than the C7 (which shouldn’t be hard as the C7 is the lowest selling Vette, hence the radical redesign). Imo, the design won’t age gracefully, so how it will sell, and if it’ll see a major dip in 4 years like the C7 did, remains to be seen.

I’ll be honest, my first thought when seeing the C8 was that it was too awkward, and that I should start looking at Grand Sport prices. But I know the drill in being a buyer of the previous design of a car that goes through a radical change: Once you get used to it on the roads, the new one settles in and you start to wish you had it. Unless the design is butchered. Plus, the C7 was never beautiful to me. Cool design, but not timeless imo.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:40 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,301 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
From my observations, plenty of Vette faithful are turned off by the C8. Majority showing fanaticism are those who wouldn’t have pulled the trigger on a Vette before. I think that explains the C7 boost, as does (and more importantly) the big discounts it’s seeing.
I've been keeping an eye on the Corvette forum and it does seem like the first few cracks in the wall are starting to appear.

Biggest problem I think they have is the doors. The thickness of the doors is absurd by any reasonable standard. You have to open them all the way to get in and out, apparently, at which point you are hitting the side of the car parked 2 stalls away. Never mind the fact that garages in new homes have been shrinking for years. Wider was not called for here, but that's what was delivered by GM.

Interior ergonomics are potentially problematic. The controls are driver-focused to a fault. I can't count the times I've asked my S.O. to punch in a destination into the PCM to avoid distraction. That is now completely impossible, with what amounts to a duct-taped iPad angled toward the driver. And to adjust the HVAC controls the passenger will have to lean over to see the buttons. And that's as close as she'll ever get, thanks to the Chinese-grade wall between the passenger and driver.

Another disappointment seems to be visibility. More of the Camaro influence, I guess. A mid- or rear-engine car should make you feel like you could reach out and touch the road in front of you, as many Porsche nuts will agree. Yet people are saying the front visibility is no better than the C7, possibly even worse. This is inexcusable if true, especially after all the smoke they have been blowing about how there's no room for a clutch pedal because the front wheels are too close to the cabin.

Overall it sounds like the C8 is going to feel huge, low, and wide, as if they aimed for the 348TS but hit the Testarossa. Some will consider that a good thing, but not me. Whether it feels heavy or not remains to be seen.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:06 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I hate the duct taped iPad look that most cars have these days, vulgarians, what happened to form and function. probably same people put ketchup on steak came up with these ideas and garbage like adaptive cruise and keyless entry
Old 08-22-2019, 10:24 PM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 745 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Caustic

Or you could actually look at it this way. Plenty of folks wouldn’t be caught dead in a C7 or older vette and now with the C8 it becomes an option and more actually get into this vette. I for one am in this boat. Never, ever, ever considered a vette. This new C8 looks awesome and can’t wait to see it in person.
Caustic (08-23-2019)
Old 08-22-2019, 10:38 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
I've been keeping an eye on the Corvette forum and it does seem like the first few cracks in the wall are starting to appear.

Biggest problem I think they have is the doors. The thickness of the doors is absurd by any reasonable standard. You have to open them all the way to get in and out, apparently, at which point you are hitting the side of the car parked 2 stalls away. Never mind the fact that garages in new homes have been shrinking for years. Wider was not called for here, but that's what was delivered by GM.

Interior ergonomics are potentially problematic. The controls are driver-focused to a fault. I can't count the times I've asked my S.O. to punch in a destination into the PCM to avoid distraction. That is now completely impossible, with what amounts to a duct-taped iPad angled toward the driver. And to adjust the HVAC controls the passenger will have to lean over to see the buttons. And that's as close as she'll ever get, thanks to the Chinese-grade wall between the passenger and driver.

Another disappointment seems to be visibility. More of the Camaro influence, I guess. A mid- or rear-engine car should make you feel like you could reach out and touch the road in front of you, as many Porsche nuts will agree. Yet people are saying the front visibility is no better than the C7, possibly even worse. This is inexcusable if true, especially after all the smoke they have been blowing about how there's no room for a clutch pedal because the front wheels are too close to the cabin.

Overall it sounds like the C8 is going to feel huge, low, and wide, as if they aimed for the 348TS but hit the Testarossa. Some will consider that a good thing, but not me. Whether it feels heavy or not remains to be seen.
Yeah, the footprint is nearly identical to the Macan. My spot has ample room, but I like to be as far away from the cars next me to me as possible. My Macan was a tight squeeze. My 911 being so much more compact has been a huge boost to my peace of mind and just overall enjoyment. And then having to swing a massive C8 barn door open is horrible for many reasons.

When I used to drive my Macan, even through backroads, I felt like there was an entire zip code next to me that wasn’t in use. So much width. Cars are getting stupidly wide. That’s another area my 911 feels like a breath of fresh air in: It feels wrapped around me much more so.

I also loathe the ill designed, tacky “taped on screen” look. Not to mention, it’s so 2012. We all knew it was an unnecessary fashion which would age terribly and look outdated rapidly back then, and now car manufactures acknowledged that failed fad by moving on from it. Yet GM props it in their brand new Vette. It’s an ill, haphazard design that looks like a cost cutting move. A truly well designed interior is all integrated.

Old 08-22-2019, 10:52 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,301 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
I also loathe the ill designed, tacky “taped on screen” look. Not to mention, it’s so 2012. We all knew it was an unnecessary fashion which would age terribly and look outdated rapidly back then, and now car manufactures acknowledged that failed fad by moving on from it. Yet GM props it in their brand new Vette. It’s an ill, haphazard design that looks like a cost cutting move. A truly well designed interior is all integrated.
I imagine it looks pretty good from the driver's point of view. Feedback from people who have actually seen the various controls and displays from the driver's seat has been uniformly positive.

But a touchscreen that the passenger can't use is not ideal, or even acceptable IMHO. Especially if they disable 90% of the functionality while the car is in motion, which is another annoying trend.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new corvette?