Notices
View Poll Results: what do you think?
really clean, nice looking Vette....
31.46%
a very different Vette but we'll sure as hell take it.
29.84%
i'll be ordering one soon.......
17.72%
No thank you
20.98%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on the new corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 06:22 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...ngine-opinion/

Name:  photo633.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  971.6 KB
Old 07-27-2019, 06:25 PM
STG
Race Director

Sounds like would be a Porsche option

Must say, the idea never even crossed my mind!

https://www.motor1.com/news/361442/c...customization/

Name:  photo993.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  870.9 KB
Old 07-27-2019, 08:33 PM
ZDan
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMystro
I don’t think German/Italian car owners car as much as you think they do about anything from GM.
The popularity of this thread in a Porsche forum suggests otherwise! At least as far as "German car owners" goes...

The very idea that the poor little Chevy is not considered equal to more historical brands that don’t make minivans is outrageous.
Chevrolet has a longer history than Porsche or Ferrari, and the Corvette model has a longer history than any Porsche or Ferrari model.

How dare the new Corvette without anyone driving it yet not be taken as a serious supercar.
IMO plenty of Corvettes have been "serious supercars" going all the way back to at least the C2, perhaps as far back as the 1957 fuel-injected C1. 911 performance was nowhere near it until they started giving it some horsepower right as the Corvette was becoming a detuned boulevardier in the mid-70s...

Imagine if Porsche redesigns the 911 with a front engine. The world would end.
Well, Porsche's answer to the Corvette, the 928, was supposed to replace the 911, and the world indeed very nearly ended...

In my estimation, the Corvette has influenced the 911's development more than the 911 has influenced the Corvette's development. Which is kinda great but also kind of a shame, too, as the 911 used to be a reasonably lightweight sports car...

Anyway, here's hoping the C8 is a fantastic supercar, which will only lead to better (or maybe less expensive?) Porsche supercars as well.
Here's also hoping (perhaps in vain) for Porsche to ultimately offer up some legitimately small, lightweight, minimalist sports cars again...
The following 5 users liked this post by ZDan:
Caustic (07-27-2019), Nm2far (07-27-2019), Noah Fect (07-27-2019), Phil~ (07-30-2019), porschedood5000 (07-29-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 09:31 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

In my estimation, the Corvette has influenced the 911's development more than the 911 has influenced the Corvette's development. Which is kinda great but also kind of a shame, too, as the 911 used to be a reasonably lightweight sports car...
For better or worse, I doubt that the Porsche guys begin their development efforts in each successive generation by taking a Corvette apart with a screwdriver. GM has been doing that with the 911 for two generations now. So is it such a surprise that the Corvette is actively being improved while the 911 rests on its laurels? For their part, Porsche acts like their customers are chained up in the basement with no other choice but to buy whatever they deign to release. "No substitute," etc., etc., yadda, yadda, yadda.

Anyway, here's hoping the C8 is a fantastic supercar, which will only lead to better (or maybe less expensive?) Porsche supercars as well.
Here's also hoping (perhaps in vain) for Porsche to ultimately offer up some legitimately small, lightweight, minimalist sports cars again...
Hear, hear.

Ultimately the Corvette team is inspired by Porsche's example, but I don't think they're scared or intimidated. What terrifies them -- what they know they must avoid at all costs -- is Harley-Davidson's example. Hence the willingness to throw the baby boomers under the bus.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:31 PM
n3rd
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDan
Agree. Maybe a GT4 that hasn’t had its ***** cut off would do this. I do wonder if the vette may influence into building a GT4RS. It would be perfect with a carbon frunk, roof and hatch along with proper transmission gearing and a GT3 engine. I’ve spent countless hours looking at the work involved to swapping a 9a1 into mine and the rough estimate I received from BGB was at least 50k not including the engine. I love the size, playfulness and grip of the GT4 but engine and gearing in it compared to the GT3/RS is a dog.

For the folks who got upset that I said the GT4 sucks go drive a GT3 or RS. There is no comparison.
Old 07-27-2019, 10:13 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,829 Likes on 538 Posts

One upshot of all this is that you'll be able to pick up an NSX for $30k in a couple of months ... still overpriced.
Old 07-27-2019, 10:54 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
As someone who use to have a racing license and competed in many SCCA events, I always prefer racing a lighter car with less HP than a heavier one with more HP. Light weight cars are just easier to drive fast than heaver cars, especially when driven by amateurs who do occasional DEs. When driven by professional drivers, I wouldn't be surprised if a C8 turns in quicker lap times than a GT4, but that won't necessarily apply when the cars are driven by amateurs.
Almost everyone has been focused on the C8's sub 3 sec 0-60 time. Sub 3 sec means 2.9+. If it were 2.8 secs or lower, I guarantee you that the exact time would be listed. Just like a dealer who advertises a car for under $50K. We all know that means $4,995 or even $4,999. Moreover, how many C8 owners will be able to replicate the sub 3 sec time? My guess would be very few. My assumptions are that the sub 3 sec time was done by a professional driver who made many attempts before the sub 3 sec time was recorded. I can guarantee you that the sub 3 sec time wasn't done with a full tank of gas, in 90 degree temperatures and high humidity. So in the "real world ", I would expect most C8 owners will run a mid 3 sec 0-60. I'm not suggesting that's a slow time, but it certainly isn't as sexy a marketing gimmick as sub 3 secs.
So I look forward to seeing lap times. Even if the GT4 is a little faster, the C8 is still one hell of a car for the money. It's only drawback is the absence of a MT.
Yeah, my prediction is that the C8 Z51 will put up very moderately (barely) better times on higher speed tracks, but in the hands of most normal drivers, the GT4 would be faster than it every time. The C8 is still a torquey car with the length of a 3 series, the width of a Macan and the weight of a luxury sedan. Not to mention, nothing touches the ease of driving balance a Cayman delivers.

Originally Posted by hf1
This is with DAL (dual axle lift) on...

Seriously, the body already looks so low -- a 2" lowering (to eliminate those fender gaps) would slam it into the ground.
Looks great. I just don’t know what they were thinking with the corporate rental fleet GM rear. The Vette has previously NEVER followed corporate design language of other cars out back. It started the GM design language. That rear really kills the vibe with such a cheap and non-serious look (while the rest of the car screams seriousness).

Originally Posted by .2PDK
Bingo.

I'm waiting for the dust to settle and the bespoke tremec DCT to prove itself before I even test drive one.
Theres is zero doubt that in 5 years, when out of warranty; nobody will want to have the first year/s of the all new DCT.

I’m also curious as to whether GM has listed torsional rigidity futures for the car? Curious what it’ll be with the heavy bolt construction.
The following users liked this post:
CaymanCarver (07-28-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 11:12 PM
Caustic
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Yeah, my prediction is that the C8 Z51 will put up very moderately (barely) better times on higher speed tracks, but in the hands of most normal drivers, the GT4 would be faster than it every time. The C8 is still a torquey car with the length of a 3 series, the width of a Macan and the weight of a luxury sedan. Not to mention, nothing touches the ease of driving balance a Cayman delivers.

Looks great. I just don’t know what they were thinking with the corporate rental fleet GM rear. The Vette has previously NEVER followed corporate design language of other cars out back. It started the GM design language. That rear really kills the vibe with such a cheap and non-serious look (while the rest of the car screams seriousness).

Theres is zero doubt that in 5 years, when out of warranty; nobody will want to have the first year/s of the all new DCT.

I’m also curious as to whether GM has listed torsional rigidity futures for the car? Curious what it’ll be with the heavy bolt construction.
Most luxury sedans are 4000 lbs. The vette is heavy, but many of todays sports cars are 3500 lbs or more. Looking at you Porsche Turbo/Audi R8/Merc AMG GT/Nissan GTR/Acura NSX.

I am really ok with the rear. I think it looks great, but thats subjective. The knock for me is that it looks similar to a Camaro. I think that was a serious mistake, they didn't differentiate it enough. Shame.

GM says it is 10% more rigid than the C7 because of the center tunnel design.
SoCal-NSX (07-28-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 11:23 PM
STG
Race Director

Name:  photo21.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  92.2 KB
Old 07-27-2019, 11:32 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

For the folks who got upset that I said the GT4 sucks go drive a GT3 or RS. There is no comparison.
I own a 2015 Porsche GT3, and although it's superior to a GT4, it certainly doesn't suck. Let's not forget that a base GT3 costs $45K more than a GT4. So I would hope that the GT3 is superior. A close friend of mine has a 981 GT4 and he and I are fairly equal in driving ability. At Watkins Glen my GT3 is consistently 2.5 secs faster, but that doesn't mean the GT4 sucks. Handling of both cars is outstanding, but the big difference is that my GT3 has 90 more HP. The ultimate Porsche, however is the GT3RS. I really wanted that car, but when I was in the market for one, the ADM for an RS was a minimum of $40K. So I wanted an RS really badly, but not enough to pay $200K+ for one. Unfortunately speculators have really driven up the price for a GT3RS. I believe more of these cars are in the hands of speculators than enthusiasts, and it's far worse for the GT2RS.

It's because of this BS that I'll be taking a long, hard look at the C8 Z06.
Old 07-27-2019, 11:40 PM
2slow2speed
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A

Guess you haven't driven a F458 at the track, 3500lbs, (about 100lbs-150lbs) less than the projected weight of the C8, trick e-diff, MR shocks double wishbone up front multi-link suspension in the rear, very easy to drive fast, much more accessible performance and balanced than a Cayman. The e-diff makes a very big difference on how the car put the power down.

I was extremely surprised and blown away by the handling, since I drove it on the same exact track after driving a PDK Cayman R. Both cars were on the same brand tires just different sizes, 235/265 for the Cayman R, 235/295 for the F458.

And the F458 also happens to be one of t the benchmarks used for the C8.

Chevy is doing what Ferrari did 9 years ago with the F458, using similar technological foundations but doing so with a mass produced engine and chassis manufacturing techniques. Time will tell if the car is more kit car than a production car, but if they got their formula right it might be surprising a lot of people.
The following 3 users liked this post by 2slow2speed:
Caustic (07-28-2019), Craigy (07-31-2019), trader247 (07-28-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 11:48 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

The very idea that the poor little Chevy is not considered equal to more historical brands that don’t make minivans is outrageous.
Did your time at GM cloud your perspective some?

Chevy was making the Corvette in what 1953. A good 10 years before any 911. Corvette is what 67 Years on now. Im pretty sure that's historical by any account.

Chevy and GM were working in their own right from what about 1910. The original Chevrolet partners split because of this same idea - one wanted cars for the average guy and one wanted more upscale luxury models. Hmmmm . . a conversation still going on what 110 years later.

I'm sure Chevy wants to add a few 911 drivers . . and I'm sure Porsche wants to add a few Corvette owners too. And why not?

Ferrari huh? Yeah I had one for a little while and I agreed with Niki Lauda - they were junk. On the other hand , Mr Enzo had zero interest in building any production cars - only in building racing cars. They ultimately built cars to sell so they could race. It's an idea I'm personally fond of BTW.

Another little thing . . the twist is somehow pretty bent that only Corvette has older owners. Porsche gets its new owners from the front engine crew - you know the Macan, the Cayenne, and Panamera. About 20 years ago this was equal to The Devil Himself in Porsche circles. I heard it all back then and even earlier when I bought my first 951 - I wasn't a Real Porsche Guy. There are owners of both cars 911 and Corvette in their 30s, 50, and 60s . . . go to a PCA event and tell me if you see any grey hair guys with 911s. You will. Yak it up Perception ain't reality - and in this case perception is skewed BS.

I'm a long time Porsche guy. It's no telling how much Porsche stuff I have in this house and garage and shop so I enjoy their heritage too. But I don't want to reach a point where I cant see other cars and efforts and acknowledge those as being darn good. That means ones with ICE engines in them - not electric carp. Other guys can have my share of that - My grey hair is showing.
The following 6 users liked this post by TexasRider:
2slow2speed (07-28-2019), CaymanCarver (07-28-2019), Noah Fect (07-27-2019), Phil~ (07-30-2019), SoCal-NSX (07-28-2019), trader247 (07-28-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-27-2019, 11:52 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Here, here! Just like motorcycles - those who ride Harleys and those that don't...I have ridden them all and same goes for 4-wheeled rides.
Old 07-27-2019, 11:53 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Which just means you’ll be posting (often) in the thread.
Old 07-27-2019, 11:59 PM
993NYS
AutoX

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRider
Did your time at GM cloud your perspective some?

Chevy was making the Corvette in what 1953. A good 10 years before any 911. Corvette is what 67 Years on now. Im pretty sure that's historical by any account.

Chevy and GM were working in their own right from what about 1910. The original Chevrolet partners split because of this same idea - one wanted cars for the average guy and one wanted more upscale luxury models. Hmmmm . . a conversation still going on what 110 years later.

I'm sure Chevy wants to add a few 911 drivers . . and I'm sure Porsche wants to add a few Corvette owners too. And why not?

Ferrari huh? Yeah I had one for a little while and I agreed with Niki Lauda - they were junk. On the other hand , Mr Enzo had zero interest in building any production cars - only in building racing cars.

Another little thing . . the twist is somehow bent that only Corvette has older owners. Porsche gets its new owners from the front engine crew - you know the Macan, the Cayenne, and Panamera. About 20 years ago this was equal to The Devil Himself in Porsche circles. I heard it all back then and even earlier when I bought my first 951 - I wasn't a Real Porsche Guy. There are owners of both cars 911 and Corvette in their 30s, 50, and 60s . . . go to a PCA event and tell me if you see any grey hair guys with 911s. You will. Perception ain't reality - and in this case perception is skewed BS.

I'm a long time Porsche guy. It's no telling how much Porsche stuff I have in this house and garage and shop so I enjoy their heritage too. But I don't want to reach a point where I cant see other cars and efforts and acknowledge those as being darn good.
Oh man so true !! Every word, so true brother! I have owned Porsches for years, and still do and gone back to Corvette since C6 and I have had a blast.

The elitism and pretentious cr@p around Porsche circles nauseates me. I love Corvette Racing and have pulled for those guys for years.

Watching Porsche guys mash their teeth over the new Corvette for 116 pages is fantastic

And yes, go look up Porsche Club photos, tell me what the age looks like ? All nothing but BS attacks on vette by the "other side"

Keep preachin the word my man. Btw, I had a 1989 951 turbo s and still got the elitist BS from the 911 crowd, back in the day, pathetic.

Drive a C7 Z07 if you can, in a manual, raw usable ballsy animal of a car
SoCal-NSX (07-28-2019)

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new corvette?