Notices
View Poll Results: what do you think?
really clean, nice looking Vette....
31.46%
a very different Vette but we'll sure as hell take it.
29.84%
i'll be ordering one soon.......
17.72%
No thank you
20.98%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on the new corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 06:46 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by 2slow2speed
Just curious was his Z06 an automatic or was it the 7MT? Your GT3 is PDK, that might account for some of the ease in driving as well.
The Z06 is a MT whereas my GT3 is PDK. So yes that accounts for some of the difference, but I have tracked MTs for so long that a MT is almost like an automatic to me. The primary difference to me is the GT3's limit of adhesion which is so high that you can simply drive as fast as you want to without worrying too much about exceeding it.. I didn't have that confidence when driving the Z06. The other difference was the brakes. After many laps there was zero brake fade with the GT3, but the Z06's brakes didn't give me the same assurance.
Bottom line is that a GT3 is easier to drive fast than a Z06, at least that's my take.
The following users liked this post:
CaymanCarver (07-29-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 06:55 PM
msdunkel
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
Bottom line is that a GT3 is easier to drive fast than a Z06, at least that's my take.
I don't think there are many people on the planet who would disagree with you. That said, in the real world you're paying well over 2x for the P than the C. That they're discussed in the same sentence says a lot about both vehicles and brands.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:59 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

The Z06 is a MT whereas my GT3 is PDK.
Drawing any lap time conclusion based on that fact really isn't a fair comparison.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:17 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Received 391 Likes on 217 Posts

Last year I went to Watkins Glen with my brother who has a Z06. I have a GT3. Despite his HP advantage I was able to keep ahead of him. Predictably he was faster in the straights, but I had the advantage in the corners. We then switched cars, and he passed me within a lap. As I posted earlier driving heavy cars fast is challenging. I did get faster on succeeding laps, but my brother was fast on the first lap in the lighter and smaller GT3.
Two people driving each other’s cars really says nothing more than the faster person felt more comfortable totaling the others persons car. The real tell is how did your lap times compare during your HPDE “race” to what you each ran in your own cars. Was he faster in the GT3 than he was in his Z06?
Old 07-28-2019, 09:36 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX
I was lucky enough to sit in one the other day..... it blows away anything Porsche has to offer , unless you like that spacious 90's look that Porsche offers.

It is leading edge, while Porsche is retro....it just depends on what you like I guess.

They don't need some Italian to put some sort of exclamation point on it.... it's already far more exciting than any rahter boring dated Porsche interior
This is what makes it a great time to be a car guy.

The C8 (and the C7 for that matter) designs (exterior and interior) are way to busy and overdone for me to own. When I see a C7 (in most configurations - never with chrome wheels for example), I think it’s great looking. But I wouldn’t choose it over some of its competitors.

Kind of like Ferrari and Lamborghini - one is outrageous but tasteful and one is outrageous and over the top.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:37 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

C7 is more beautiful than C8. Why didn't they just keep the softer lines and curves of the C7 and just translate them into a midengine C8?

Old 07-28-2019, 09:39 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by bgoetz
Two people driving each other’s cars really says nothing more than the faster person felt more comfortable totaling the others persons car. The real tell is how did your lap times compare during your HPDE “race” to what you each ran in your own cars. Was he faster in the GT3 than he was in his Z06?

Sorry but I can'r recall the times from last year, but my recollection is that my brother was almost as quick as I was in the GT3, but I was much slower than he was when I drove the Z06. To be fair however, my brother has lots of track time in Porsches and owns a GT4 in addition to his Z06. It's been a long time since I tracked a Corvette, and never one with all that HP and Torque.
Unless the reports on the C8 are negative, my plan is to buy a C8 Z06 in 2021. Driving a 700 HP car intrigues me. Hopefully, I won't put it into a wall after a lap or two, but that's what track insurance is for.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:45 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by BryanCO
This is what makes it a great time to be a car guy.

The C8 (and the C7 for that matter) designs (exterior and interior) are way to busy and overdone for me to own. When I see a C7 (in most configurations - never with chrome wheels for example), I think it’s great looking. But I wouldn’t choose it over some of its competitors.

Kind of like Ferrari and Lamborghini - one is outrageous but tasteful and one is outrageous and over the top.
What do you consider to be a C7 competitor? From a price point I only see a 718.
porschedood5000 (07-29-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 09:50 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Originally Posted by StudGarden
I was seriously considering a GT4 or Spyder. Not anymore. If the C8 ends up being a flop (impossible other than from a build quality or reliability standpoint, which is yet to be determined of course) then it'll hammer the "supercar" bottom end the way the Tesla Roadster will hammer the top end. Hedge fund ballers and shot callers will still blow mad money on cars 10x the price+ for 3% more performance or whatever (enjoy those 4-5 figure service visits and 5 figure car tags lol) but IF (still needs to be proven) they can post the numbers they're claiming along with a descent product quality wise, its check mate, Vette wins, and there's no possible way for the elite companies to ever catch up other than to leverage their brand appeal for prestige (real or apparent).

If what Chevy may be on the verge of here spreads to other manufacturers that can produce similar value, it could be a paradigm changing seismic event that won't be fully felt for the 2020MY but will be in due time especially with the massive assault the EV market will wreak upon them (performance for price) in the coming years.

Maybe not checkmate just yet. But check for sure, and the king(s) don't have many places left to move.
Since you you were seriously considering a GT4 or Spyder but now a C8, does that mean that being mid engined is the key factor in your decision? Because, the C7 already has the performance comps or advantage over the GT4 and Spyder — and for less money.

I’m still trying to figure out where all of the new C8 buyers will come from? Doesn’t Chevy sell around 30k Corvettes a year? Porsche only sold about 3k 981 GT4 and Spyders back in 2016. Sure, a 10+ percent (per year for the model run) increase would be significant but not sure where those buyers will be coming from.

I’m rooting for Chevy and the C8 and love the fact that Chevy took the aggressive step with the C8.
GT3FZS (08-08-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 09:51 PM
Caustic
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
C7 is more beautiful than C8. Why didn't they just keep the softer lines and curves of the C7 and just translate them into a midengine C8?

Wow. That C7 is a good looking car. Putting it against the C8 like that really shows the C8 may have needed a little more time in the design room. Hmm, might have to wait till the C8 Grand Sport is released.

I never really paid attention to the C7 vettes that closely. Maybe I should have.
porschedood5000 (07-29-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 09:56 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

What do you consider to be a C7 competitor? From a price point I only see a 718.
While I’m certainly not wealthy, price is less of a consideration for an emotional purchase. Also it’s not new vs new. It’s more like what do I have to spend to get what I desire. My last non daily driver purchase was an 07 GT3 and for what I paid, I’m pretty sure I could buy a nice C7 or C8.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:46 PM
bertram928
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanCO
Since you you were seriously considering a GT4 or Spyder but now a C8, does that mean that being mid engined is the key factor in your decision? Because, the C7 already has the performance comps or advantage over the GT4 and Spyder — and for less money.

I’m still trying to figure out where all of the new C8 buyers will come from? Doesn’t Chevy sell around 30k Corvettes a year? Porsche only sold about 3k 981 GT4 and Spyders back in 2016. Sure, a 10+ percent (per year for the model run) increase would be significant but not sure where those buyers will be coming from.

I’m rooting for Chevy and the C8 and love the fact that Chevy took the aggressive step with the C8.
Build and they will come, perhaps even from cornfields LOL

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aut...arly-sold-out/
Old 07-28-2019, 11:03 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Originally Posted by bertram928
Build and they will come, perhaps even from cornfields LOL

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aut...arly-sold-out/
You didn’t answer the question.

Pretty easy to predict that 2020 will be a great sales year for the Corvette. Note that 2014 was the first year for the C7.

Old 07-28-2019, 11:21 PM
Caustic
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Maybe GM is not trying to grow the numbers, but change the demographic. Maybe the young exec, doctor, lawyer, IT engineer that brings the age down a bit and were looking at a special 2nd car is the target audience.
Craigy (07-31-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 11:29 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Caustic
Maybe GM is not trying to grow the numbers, but change the demographic. Maybe the young exec, doctor, lawyer, IT engineer that brings the age down a bit and were looking at a special 2nd car is the target audience.
Agree, but does the mid-engine platform do that? Or is it just the new, aggressiveness design?

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new corvette?