Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 09:42 PM
blackholescion
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by digitalrurouni
If a Cayman R shows up would that mean the GT4 will still be on top of the pile and would that be confirmation then a turbo 6 is in order for the GT4? And also a Cayman R kind of does not make sense anymore because once the cars go turbocharged the hierarchy gets a bit muddled no? I mean a 3 liter turbo 6 can easily push 500 hp. So what would that entail for the GT4 then if that 3 Liter motor goes in the R? I don't think that makes sense but either way time will tell.
The Cayman R was the GT4 before the GT4 was a thing. It wasn't as big of a departure at the time (+10HP from the Cayman S, some lightening bits and aero). If a Cayman R comes, I wouldn't expect to see a GT4 as there wouldn't really be room for both. It wouldn't make sense to for Porsche to release an R and GT4 because the R would have to slot in lower meaning it could cannibalize GTS sales, especially if it was an F6T. I'd be shocked if this happened and they didn't release a GT4 based on new naming convention. I think Autocar is heavily speculating based on sound clips and forum discussion. 414HP is very arbitrary. If they were going to follow the 981 GT4 model, it should come in right at 400.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:55 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by blackholescion
The Cayman R was the GT4 before the GT4 was a thing. It wasn't as big of a departure at the time (+10HP from the Cayman S, some lightening bits and aero). If a Cayman R comes, I wouldn't expect to see a GT4 as there wouldn't really be room for both. I'd be shocked if this happened and they didn't release a GT4 based on new naming convention. I think Autocar is heavily speculating based on sound clips and forum discussion. 414HP is very arbitrary. If they were going to follow the GT4 model, it should come in right at 400.
I think the guys are Autocar have access to all the same cleaning ladies the folks on the forum have. But they’re probably wrong on a cayman R. Porsche was already testing the GT4 and CS in Portugal a few weeks ago. I can’t see a 718R and GT4.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:33 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

The Cayman R was the GT4 before the GT4 was a thing. It wasn't as big of a departure at the time (+10HP from the Cayman S, some lightening bits and aero). If a Cayman R comes, I wouldn't expect to see a GT4 as there wouldn't really be room for both. It wouldn't make sense to for Porsche to release an R and GT4 because the R would have to slot in lower meaning it could cannibalize GTS sales, especially if it was an F6T. I'd be shocked if this happened and they didn't release a GT4 based on new naming convention. I think Autocar is heavily speculating based on sound clips and forum discussion. 414HP is very arbitrary. If they were going to follow the 981 GT4 model, it should come in right at 400.
GT4 was a new product for the Motorsport group and Porsche. Different than the R. Porsche could produce an Turbo based R (and Spyder) and a NA GT4. Seems like that would really be slicing the market but Porsche is known for that.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:44 AM
Gatte
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Five12Free

I think the guys are Autocar have access to all the same cleaning ladies the folks on the forum have. But they’re probably wrong on a cayman R. Porsche was already testing the GT4 and CS in Portugal a few weeks ago. I can’t see a 718R and GT4.
I have seen first hand that most of these magazines do not have access to any inside information. It’s a wiser bet to rely on what you learn from certain members on online forums than what is published in most auto magazines.

The first picture leak of the M2 Competition was by a member on bimmerpost. The first leak of a picture of an M3 CS, it’s specific release schedule, special paint was also by a member on bimmerpost. The specifics of the car was also first leaked by a member on bimmerpost. Similarly, the status of the M2 CSL was also leaked on bimmerpost. A lot of articles were based on these leaks and not the other way around.

I would rather believe someone who’s known to have leaked correct information in the past such as whoopsy than some article on some auto magazine.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:16 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

i understand porsche is having so much trouble selling 718 models
i would not be surprised if they do all kinds of variants to boost sales... i suspect product managers for 718 are in panic mode
Old 04-22-2018, 04:46 AM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
i understand porsche is having so much trouble selling 718 models
i would not be surprised if they do all kinds of variants to boost sales... i suspect product managers for 718 are in panic mode
That has been my argument for a 4-cyl in GT4/Spyder all the time. Imagine the PR nightmare after they spent millions trying to convince customers how fantastic the 4-cyl is - and then putting a 6-cyl in the top-of-the-line model...
Old 04-22-2018, 05:22 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by erik_plus8
That has been my argument for a 4-cyl in GT4/Spyder all the time. Imagine the PR nightmare after they spent millions trying to convince customers how fantastic the 4-cyl is - and then putting a 6-cyl in the top-of-the-line model...
This is what I’ve always thought too, but just don’t know if the majority of buyers will care!
Old 04-22-2018, 07:36 AM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gatte

I have seen first hand that most of these magazines do not have access to any inside information. It’s a wiser bet to rely on what you learn from certain members on online forums than what is published in most auto magazines.

The first picture leak of the M2 Competition was by a member on bimmerpost. The first leak of a picture of an M3 CS, it’s specific release schedule, special paint was also by a member on bimmerpost. The specifics of the car was also first leaked by a member on bimmerpost. Similarly, the status of the M2 CSL was also leaked on bimmerpost. A lot of articles were based on these leaks and not the other way around.

I would rather believe someone who’s known to have leaked correct information in the past such as whoopsy than some article on some auto magazine.
they would have to be some ****ty journalists! there’s a difference between sourcing information, being able to use it and being accurate. Forum folks don’t have to source things. A lot of M2 posts around here lately...

We should have the answer here shortly, as a bunch of folks have been at Wessaich the past few days. One already mentioned the GT4 would be a MY2020 car and have the option of PDK. No engine comments though.

Last edited by Five12Free; 04-22-2018 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:09 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 831 Posts

One already mentioned the GT4 would be a MY2020 car and have the option of PDK. No engine comments though.
IIRC that answer was given in regards to the spyder. GT4 wasn't mentioned in that sentence.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:16 AM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB
IIRC that answer was given in regards to the spyder. GT4 wasn't mentioned in that sentence.
you’re right... I should’ve been clear that was a reference to the spyder and the assumption it would apply to the GT4 is mine.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:42 AM
blackholescion
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 107 Posts

The first picture leak of the M2 Competition was by a member on bimmerpost.
don't be so modest :P

A lot of M2 posts around here lately...
Gatte and I are (soon to be?) expats from the BMW world. If I read into his posts over there correctly, we are in the same boat of N/A or bust. Bring on the news!

Originally Posted by BryanCO

GT4 was a new product for the Motorsport group and Porsche. Different than the R. Porsche could produce an Turbo based R (and Spyder) and a NA GT4. Seems like that would really be slicing the market but Porsche is known for that.
​​​​​​​Great info. Thanks!

Last edited by blackholescion; 04-22-2018 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:32 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Gatte and I are (soon to be?) expats from the BMW world. If I read into his posts over there correctly, we are in the same boat of N/A or bust. Bring on the news!
The backstory helps place the perspectives... Thanks.

Most here are current or former BMW (at least re their ‘sports’ cars) guys.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:19 PM
Gatte
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello there,

Whoever posted all that is still a bimmerpost member.

I will be on one of the following boats:
1, GT4 if it ends up being a NA,
2, M2 GTS/CSL otherwise.

Last edited by Gatte; 04-22-2018 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:44 AM
9872SpeedYellowCS
Burning Brakes

Received 449 Likes on 224 Posts

Wow.. Sign me up
Old 04-23-2018, 01:00 PM
Aquaman1
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by idk_alex
Wow.. Sign me up
Why...?? Doesn’t look so different to the 981 GT4 imo..... In fact, the side-pods look a bit naff tbh.... 😏

Its desirability really hinges on the powerplant, as many have already said..... Looks alone, it’s nothing remarkable over the current model....

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?