Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 04:48 PM
JAhmed
Drifting

Received 1,900 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by shaytun
The best part will be the "I told you so's" that will follow the announcement of the car lol
LOLLL for real
Old 04-19-2018, 05:13 PM
GT4 981
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts

Old 04-19-2018, 05:17 PM
loungin
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Gilou Panizzi
Pretty turbo like, and mostly really not exciting if it was any N/A flat 6? That noise doesn't give me half of a thrill, but sure it will outperform current 981, as always with new models. I'll keep mine in her garage <3
Have you driven a 991.2 S? It’s pretty thrilling. That engine in a Gt4 would be pretty compelling to a lot of people. Driving the Gt4 after test driving the 3.0 feels anticlimactic. 1g of forward thrust will quickly make you forget about the exhaust.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:20 PM
Gilou Panizzi
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I can understand those who firmly claim that i will be N/A engine on these. That is the meaning of debate, and speculations. European countries, as I'm a french man, see the thing in a totally different way and those who talk about CO2 emissions are totally right. Whatever enthusiasts could hope about a wonderful GT3 engine inside the bay, remember that Europe is leading what to do or not to. By the way, taxes are increasing and will increase again next year so as to punish those who overtake CO2 emission levels. Meanwhile, the limit of emission curently accepted is getting two steps lower...

A scoop if you don't know yet, measurement process of CO2 emissions will also change next year... No factory measurement but soon realtime measures, in real driving conditions. Even that crap sounding 718 flat 4 wouldn't offer such good results in real conditions... The game is not the same anymore dudes!

That being said, let's admit that on the couple of 718 Spyder videos posted on this topic, engine "could" be a N/A. Is someone able to tell me that this sound gives any good feeling? Maybe the 4.0 liters runs with closed valved on the Ring so we definitely can't hear the roar of the beast..? Anyway, all of you are GT4 owners, racing it sometimes (lucky you!), and I'm wondering if THIS sound we all can hear turn you on?

Obviously this is a question fo N/A prayers
Old 04-19-2018, 05:32 PM
Gilou Panizzi
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by loungin

Have you driven a 991.2 S? It’s pretty thrilling. That engine in a Gt4 would be pretty compelling to a lot of people. Driving the Gt4 after test driving the 3.0 feels anticlimactic. 1g of forward thrust will quickly make you forget about the exhaust.
My friend, no offense but you tell me about 2 different things :

I guess a 3.0 GT4 will satisfy many of you, and I'm glad to hear this. I'd rather it goes F6T instead of F4T, for sure! (Yes I'm a pro flat6, whether it gets a turbo or not, I assume).

Now you talk about 1g turns and global driving performances, that's different subject than the sound and only the sound we might have hear. It might help me to forget the exhaust tone for a few hours, but for me I see things as a global package, since I don't track the car.

If I had to choose between a 430hp 991.2 S and a BGB tuned GT4, you guess the answer...

FYI, I was lucky to take a ride in a 991.2 S, passenger, performances are really great, but nothing to make my heart go crazy.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:39 PM
VLJ
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess if you're buying the car solely (or even mostly) because it accelerates quickly then that's true. I'm looking for the whole package, a car that performs above a certain level and also appeals to my emotions. Compliant ride and quiet engines don't appeal to my emotions.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:56 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Gilou Panizzi
I can understand those who firmly claim that i will be N/A engine on these. That is the meaning of debate, and speculations. European countries, as I'm a french man, see the thing in a totally different way and those who talk about CO2 emissions are totally right. Whatever enthusiasts could hope about a wonderful GT3 engine inside the bay, remember that Europe is leading what to do or not to. By the way, taxes are increasing and will increase again next year so as to punish those who overtake CO2 emission levels. Meanwhile, the limit of emission curently accepted is getting two steps lower...

A scoop if you don't know yet, measurement process of CO2 emissions will also change next year... No factory measurement but soon realtime measures, in real driving conditions. Even that crap sounding 718 flat 4 wouldn't offer such good results in real conditions... The game is not the same anymore dudes!

That being said, let's admit that on the couple of 718 Spyder videos posted on this topic, engine "could" be a N/A. Is someone able to tell me that this sound gives any good feeling? Maybe the 4.0 liters runs with closed valved on the Ring so we definitely can't hear the roar of the beast..? Anyway, all of you are GT4 owners, racing it sometimes (lucky you!), and I'm wondering if THIS sound we all can hear turn you on?

Obviously this is a question fo N/A prayers
Some folks in this thread keep ignoring that fact. So to recap... the current GT3 or GT3RS engines do NOT meet Euro emissions standards for 2019. They are ending production of euro GT3s in 2018. This information has been confirmed.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:06 PM
GT4 981
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Five12Free

Some folks in this thread keep ignoring that fact. So to recap... the current GT3 or GT3RS engines do NOT meet Euro emissions standards for 2019. They are ending production of euro GT3s in 2018. This information has been confirmed.
And its getting a little late for a 2018 GT4.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:06 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,377 Likes on 836 Posts

With your forum name I can understand that you prefer luxury and comfort while driving and therefore accept your personal choice of a 4 seater.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:21 PM
blackholescion
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 107 Posts

It's also been confirmed in interviews that Porsche is confident they can resolve the issues with particulate filter and meet emissions, just not in time to complete production for Europe (especially if they initially were planning producing into early 2019 and would trickle models to both markets). So, they pulled Europe production forward and pushed US back because US (and ROW to an extent) don't have the same emissions requirements.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:41 PM
jrbkarter
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
At the risk of sounding totally arrogant, this is the last time I'll say this: Next GT4 will be NA...not sure which NA, just NA and no turbo. So how about we stop pissin' in the wind here and give the topic a rest.

No idea about Spyder engine (but to me it seems illogical for it not to be the same, but logic doesn't always prevail).

Ehhhhhhh...you seem to be leaving out, unfamiliar with, what have you, a critical detail- aka- the particulate filter situation. Though it's yet to be fully confirmed (which until a car is built with it and someone else puts it on a lift- nothing is really "confirmed" is it?) all signs point to post Sept '18 and CY '19 Euro RS builds including the new particulate filter. Logic would stand to reason any other application of the 4.0l would also include said filter, thus making it completely plausible the GT4 (and perhaps Spyder) could have the 4.0l.

As for the videos- I've yet to hear one at WOT or even at anything above 4kish RPMs so to try and bet your life on any of those videos conclusively telling you one way or the other would be a risky proposition. Several key RL members who for years have been nearly dead on with every tiny shred of information they're allowed to leak have said- NA. They've also said nearly every combo imaginable has been tested in the car, so there's no way to know which car you're even listening to in those videos. It very may well be a turbo power plant in it- but that doesn't mean it's the final production mule does it?

But to help out HelpMeHelpU (yeaaa see what I did there dontcha!) it's been pretty well noted, hinted at, borderline flat out announced that the Clubsport- which will be released before the street car- will be in the hands of teams for testing very very soon. And as others with their fingers on the pulse of PMNA have noted- it's going to be NA, and 99.9% chance it's going to be the 4.0l. Again, they tested tons of other options, it's come back to the 4.0l. As for actual power levels- who knows; I've heard everything from 420hp (which IMHO would be a mistake) to 450hp (muchhhh better) but short of a complete Grinch stole the whole goddamn Christmas- it's going to be NA. Yes- there's always the chance that Porsche deviates from the Clubsport and puts a different power plant in the street car, and yes, there's always a chance they deviate from the 981 and put a different motor in the Spyder than they do in the GT4.

But really- don't gripe at the people who do have information but can only share so much by belittling them with "THIS VIDEO SOUNDS LIKE THIS TO ME AND YOU'RE TELLING ME I JUST HAVE TO TAKE YOUR WORD FOR IT BEING SOMETHING ELSE" because they're just going to stop telling us a damn thing- and I don't blame them. Unless the video also happens to show a Monroney sticker in the window, accept that it's just as incomplete a piece of evidence as the random snippets from members with cleaning ladies.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:42 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blackholescion
It's also been confirmed in interviews that Porsche is confident they can resolve the issues with particulate filter and meet emissions, just not in time to complete production for Europe (especially if they initially were planning producing into early 2019 and would trickle models to both markets). So, they pulled Europe production forward and pushed US back because US (and ROW to an extent) don't have the same emissions requirements.
How can you confirm speculation? You mean they’re trying. The facts are, they have yet to resolve the issue. The only thing confirmed is that they are ending euro production in 2018.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:53 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jrbkarter

Ehhhhhhh...you seem to be leaving out, unfamiliar with, what have you, a critical detail- aka- the particulate filter situation. Though it's yet to be fully confirmed (which until a car is built with it and someone else puts it on a lift- nothing is really "confirmed" is it?) all signs point to post Sept '18 and CY '19 Euro RS builds including the new particulate filter. Logic would stand to reason any other application of the 4.0l would also include said filter, thus making it completely plausible the GT4 (and perhaps Spyder) could have the 4.0l.

As for the videos- I've yet to hear one at WOT or even at anything above 4kish RPMs so to try and bet your life on any of those videos conclusively telling you one way or the other would be a risky proposition. Several key RL members who for years have been nearly dead on with every tiny shred of information they're allowed to leak have said- NA. They've also said nearly every combo imaginable has been tested in the car, so there's no way to know which car you're even listening to in those videos. It very may well be a turbo power plant in it- but that doesn't mean it's the final production mule does it?

But to help out HelpMeHelpU (yeaaa see what I did there dontcha!) it's been pretty well noted, hinted at, borderline flat out announced that the Clubsport- which will be released before the street car- will be in the hands of teams for testing very very soon. And as others with their fingers on the pulse of PMNA have noted- it's going to be NA, and 99.9% chance it's going to be the 4.0l. Again, they tested tons of other options, it's come back to the 4.0l. As for actual power levels- who knows; I've heard everything from 420hp (which IMHO would be a mistake) to 450hp (muchhhh better) but short of a complete Grinch stole the whole goddamn Christmas- it's going to be NA. Yes- there's always the chance that Porsche deviates from the Clubsport and puts a different power plant in the street car, and yes, there's always a chance they deviate from the 981 and put a different motor in the Spyder than they do in the GT4.

But really- don't gripe at the people who do have information but can only share so much by belittling them with "THIS VIDEO SOUNDS LIKE THIS TO ME AND YOU'RE TELLING ME I JUST HAVE TO TAKE YOUR WORD FOR IT BEING SOMETHING ELSE" because they're just going to stop telling us a damn thing- and I don't blame them. Unless the video also happens to show a Monroney sticker in the window, accept that it's just as incomplete a piece of evidence as the random snippets from members with cleaning ladies.
to add to the conjecture, at the release of the Gt3RS in Geneva, AP told a rennlist member that they have yet to make the GT3 engine pass euro emissions standards with the particulate filter but the attempts were trending positively. So as you stated yourself, nothing is really confirmed.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:13 PM
jrbkarter
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 10 Posts

How can you confirm speculation? You mean they’re trying. The facts are, they have yet to resolve the issue. The only thing confirmed is that they are ending euro production in 2018.
Sigh...and even the "ending euro production in 2018" is itself, speculation. I'm scrolling through Porsche AG press releases (https://newsroom.porsche.com/en.html) and unless I missed it- I don't see one in there approximating "vehicles slated for delivery for the EDM with the 4.0l NA motor will cease production on XX/XX/2018" soooo somewhere you're taking someone else's (speculative) statement as gospel. However, any speculative statement from cleaning ladies regarding a 4.0l being installed in a vehicle PAST 12/31/18- which a GT4 would almost certainly be- is automatically discounted because it contradicts what you already consider (speculative) gospel.

Again, I suggest just accepting that there really are no facts available to us Peons, the best we get are the occasional nuggets that then get twisted, distorted, and lost in 10 million conspiracy theories. Anything and everything is possible at this point- hell, they might just not sell the 718 4.0l NA GT4 in Europe- there's a solution to the problem!
Old 04-19-2018, 07:22 PM
blackholescion
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 107 Posts

You can't confirm speculation. But you also can't say for certain what the next motor is based on a single mule because all the sound bites have been from the same car per number plate. People are all over the place on the sound too. 6 cylinder. No 4 cylinder. No NA because this one part of this one video sounded like it.

People are getting too heated over all this. At the end of the day we have cleaning ladies vs a single sound example at low revs and no GT4 in sight anywhere since November (?). I would suspect the cleaning ladies are more accurate in this case and have proven themselves before.

There zero proof either way. One mule does not a car make. However I'd be inclined to believe the cleaning ladies based on track record.

Over on bimmerpost, there was a similar chain of events over the M2 Competition. The cleaning ladies proved correct 2 years before unveiling. The current owners were in denial or ragging on the car before it was announced. Some founded and some not (S55 sounds like an air compressor choking on concrete (true), price will be 10k more and this will be a new model (false)). Who knows and who cares what happens to the exclusiveness of the current car. It's no less special because a newer model came out.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?